Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction ❯ The Other Side Of The Picture ❯ Heartless ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Ok, here we go! After reading Who’s In The Locket? And The Unspoken Heart by Oneesan no Miroku Houshi (Which I strongly recommend, by the way) I was inspired to make a sequel/prequel, since both fics left off with so many unanswered questions, letting the reader decide the character’s fate in the fanfic. This particular fanfic takes place after Who’s In The Locket? And before The Unspoken Heart.

This is in joint with Red Rose Touga, a good fanfiction writing friend of mine. She has a poem up, if you want to read it. Basically I wrote this, but Red Rose Touga added ideas and helped me with it, so part of the credit goes to her. I hope that we can provide some interesting storyline for you all to enjoy!

This is my first fic posted to , though I’ve been writing fanfiction for a while now.

If anyone wants to join a C2 Community for Utena, there is one in my bio. It has the best Utena fics around.

Now, on to the story!

The Other Side of the Picture

Category- Utena

Genre: Romance/Drama/Humor/Action/Adventure/Angst

Rating: PG-13

Pairings: SaionjiXJuri slight JuriXShiori

Warnings: Slight Shoujo-Ai, Some unrequited love on Juri’s side, Alternate pairing, high angst content, limes and maybe a lemon if I feel like it, sexual tension, dark undertones.

Summary: Saionji and Juri have found themselves slowly beginning to sort out their emotions but now. . . What next?

DISCLAIMER: I don’t own Utena and neither does Red Rose Touga or Oneesan no Miroku Houshi. All rights go to the respected creators. The Unspoken Heart and Who’s In The Locket? Are properties of Oneesan no Miroku Houshi and I’m not plagiarizing her stuff. I have permission from the authoress. Song lyrics belong to their respected owners as well.

The Other Side of the Picture

Chapter 1: Heartless?

I’m falling in love with you, and which will come to pass?

Will the feeling do nothing but swell, or . . .

Will you notice it?

Lyrics by: Eternal Snow by “Full Moon wo Sagashite”

The picture in the locket was only visible for a few moments before a swift fencing sword knocked it from the green haired duelists’ view. Saionji narrowed his eyes in irritation. He had only seen the picture momentarily, so he didn’t see who it was clearly.

‘There was some green in the picture.’ The young man thought to himself. ‘It couldn’t have been Shiori . . . But that was who I had expected to find. Perhaps I had an error in judgment. If it wasn’t her. . . Then who was it?’

Juri stood straight, her fencing sword clutched loosely at her side. The slender blade pointed at an angel towards the hard wooden surface of the kendo hall’s floor. A look of astonish crossed her face as she put her free hand around her neck where the golden rose had been.

‘The locket . . . I have to get it before . . .’ Azure eyes looked over to the youthful kendo captain, to see if he had advanced from his position. Seeing that he hadn’t stirred, she ran over to get the locket.

“Lose something?” The sarcastic undertone of Saionji charmed.

“Hmpf!” Was Juri’s only reply.

She shut the locket hastily, covering the person’s identity with the golden rose clasp.

‘Did he . . . See it?’ She wondered to herself, as she studied Saionji, trying to find any sign of change of emotion.

“Why don’t you paint a picture, if you find the scene so befitting.” The evergreen haired man replied.

The orange haired woman narrowed her eyes. “You wish.”

“Not really.” The kendoist replied as he swung his bokkan over his shoulder and closed his eyes. “I have more important matters to attend to.”

“Like poking your nose in other’s business?” The curly haired woman asked quirking en elegant eyebrow and crossing her arms, the golden chain falling over her right hand.

“What?” Saionji looked a bit confused, wondering where that comment originated from.

“Are you deaf?” Juri asked calmly and turned her back to him.

“Are you assuming that I saw who was in your stupid locket?” Saionji, who had also had his back facing his adversary, looked over his shoulder at Juri.

“Oh, so you did?” Her voice remained calm, though she wore a nervous look on her face. ‘Calm down Arisugawa. He couldn’t have seen it. If he did, he’d be shocked. Then again . . .’ Her eyes moved to the side. ‘Even if he did, it’s not like he’d let anyone know.’

“Why would I?” He asked. “It’s none of my concern. I wouldn’t waste my time looking at it anyway, just a waste of time I could be putting to good use.”

Juri narrowed her eyes and wore a deep set frown. She clenched the locket tightly in her hand until it shook. The girl was livid with him that he had implied that her feelings were a waste of time, yet she held the loathe within.

“Are you finished?” He asked, getting aggravated that the leopard was still lingering.

“Wouldn’t want to get your precious kendo floor dirty.” She sardonically remarked as she walked a good distance across the floor, and then stopped, realizing that there was not a frontrunner of this spar. The orange haired woman looked at the accessory in her hand and decided not to stay around to verify the victor. The locket may come open again, opening the picture of the one she held close to her heart; her most sacred possession. She paused for a moment, and then walked out of the hall, leaving Saionji to ponder to himself for a moment.

The green haired duelist watched the young woman walk out of the hall.

On a non-descript wall of Ohtori Academy, stood the figures of the Shadow Playgirls, A-ko and B-ko. A-ko was holding up two dresses looking from each one in a confused mannerism, while B-ko stood erect, looking at A-ko.

“Which one will you chose?” B-ko asked with her hand on her hip.

“I simply can’t choose!” A-ko whined. She held up the dress in her left hand. “This one’s been my favorite for so long.” The shadow girl looked to the one in her right hand and held up the dress it contained. “But this one suits me more.”

“You never wear that dress. I thought you detested it.”

“It was only a show, to fool my mother into buying another dress for me.” A-ko replied simply. Then she held both dresses up to her breast in a protective mannerism.

“Can’t I have both?”

B-ko pointed a finger in a scolding conduct. “No, you must decide on the one that is best apt for you. . . But, beware of your judgment, it could change the way others reflect on your. After all, would you throw away all of your memoirs with your old dress, or throw that no good dress away and risk it all for the sake of looking stylish and gorgeous in that new one?”

“Why meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!?!” A-ko sat on the ground and cried Twin Rivers while clutching both dresses.

Juri sat on a lone bench outside of the rose encrusted Ohtori Academy, staring solemnly at the locket in her palm. She narrowed her blue eyes.

‘“Why would I? It would just be wasting my time.”’

“Hmpf! I hate you anyway.” The leopard murmured to herself as the flashback of his insensitive words echoed through her head.

‘”Believe in miracles. . .”’

The charming voice of Shiori chimed after the insensitive one of Saionji.

‘Even my flashbacks are against me.’ She sighed to herself.

Slowly, the cover of the locket swung open to reveal the one inside, smiling a blissful smile that was rare to them. The duelist seemed entranced by the snapshot hidden within the golden rose.

She felt many things: hatred, misery, and confusion, but there was something else there as well……love? Or was it desire? These were things that she had to find out.

The solitary woman closed her eyes and turned her head away morbidly, as she shut the tiny rose covering the merry face once again, not only within the confines of the locket, but in the confines of this two sided reality of the fairy tale world as well.

“There is no such thing as miracles.”

There she sat, on that lonely bench; drown in deep thought, clutching the locket.

A silent current of air blew by, slightly disheveling her orange curls as she sat there . . . Alone. Even with the students of Ohtori passing her by, she still felt unaccompanied to the human race.

TBC

Preview for chapter 2:

The pain you feel, I want to take it away from you. The emotions I feel, can I say them now that you’re fading away from me?

A/N: Well, there. Hope you enjoyed chapter 1. I can tell you now that this is going to be a long fanfic. There’s a lot to do with it. This is quite a unique idea, and I want to make it work as much as possible. I want to throw in Shiori and maybe Ruka into the mixture. Shiori will appear in the next chapter, so it will be for all of you ShioriXJuri fans.

MILD SHOUJO-AI AHEAD!

Oh, and I thought I’d put the Shadow girls in it to, to give it the feeling of the anime. Also, the shadow girls get so little respect as far as fanfiction goes. That was for them, they’ll be in future chapters as well.

Chapter 2 is on the way, please R&R!