Vampire Hunter D Fan Fiction ❯ Untold Knight ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Catherine woke the next morning and noticed a beautiful blue dress at the edge of her bed; and by the looks it was silk. Catherine looked it up and down before turning to the picture of her mother. Catherine's mother's blonde hair draped over her shoulders in delicate waves, and she wore a blood red dress. No smile crossed the face of her mother; not in either picture she had seen. Catherine looked closer at her mother and noticed a necklace flipped backwards. "What could that mean? Why wouldn't the artist have her flip it over properly?" Catherine asked herself tilting her head as she thought about it. Her ebony locks fell to the left side of her head.
 
"Miss Neko...” Nikita stumbled in and leaned against the wall heavily. Catherine turned quickly to look at her. "I... I am not... well..." Nikita fell to the floor unconscious with a thud. Catherine ran to Nikita's side and laid on the bed to rest while she went to get help.
 
"Saddle my horse!" yelled Catherine running around brushing her hair. As she rushed out the front door her mount was saddled and rearing to go. Normally she had to specify which way she wanted it saddle, but unfortunately the saddle hands had automatically used a sidesaddle. With a quick thank you she whipped her horse hard and they spend off barely giving the gates time to swing open.
 
The ride seemed to take forever but she soon ran into town; getting several sexual comments from men as she rode by. Catherine ignored them as the trash they were, and stopped by the doctor's house. "Doctor James! Please open up!" The door swung open. "Please come quickly Nikita is sick!"
 
"That woman betrayed this town to your father long ago. I will not help her!" James yelled slamming the door in her face. Catherine grew angry, and her eyes glowed blue betraying her the blood in her veins as she slammed her fist through the door and grabbed him by the neck. Trussing him up behind her in the saddle was difficult in the dress since she had not taken time to change, but she had managed all the same. As soon as Catherine was out of the town she whipped the horse again and it jumped into the air. Dr. James was blinded by a light but didn't hit the ground, and when he dared to open his eyes again he saw the mount running on an odd colored cloud.
 
"What magic is this?" Dr. James demanded.
 
"Mine," Catherine snarled looking back at him. He looked forward to where they were headed and spotted the castle. With the sun setting behind him he tried to swallow the lump in his throat to scream and call out for help but found himself frozen in fear.
 
They arrived shortly after sunset. As soon a Catherine noticed she was over the castle she moved the cloud down and walked the horse off of it. The doctor groaned and tried to stand as Catherine jumped off her horse. Several servants rushed out to help the doctor to his feet though his trembling sent him to the ground again. Her father grabbed her by the arm tightly pushing her around behind him away from her mount and the trembling man. She trembled with worry as her father glanced over his shoulder at her.
 
"Catherine, I'm sorry," Grayson said looking her in the eyes sternly. Catherine's eyes burned with unshed tears that she had refused to let fall earlier while convincing her self everything would be okay. Grayson stepped forward and pulled her to him, as she began to cry uncontrollably and he just pulled her closer. Catherine's sobbing made her weak and her legs began to give out. Grayson took notice and gently picked her up.
 
The doctor had long since disappeared while he had been distracted, and taken off into the forest. Nodding for the servant to go track the man down Grayson headed slowly into the castle doors and sat them both down on the couch with her next to him. Catherine cried her eyes dry and fell asleep in her father's arms; he had never gotten this close to her and it gave her comfort to be were she was.
 
"Sir, the doctor has had his mind wiped of the incident." A humanoid-gryphon announced quickly before disappearing him self. "Do you want me to take her to her room?"
 
"No, leave her here. I'll take care of her." Grayson answered dismissing the creature.
 
"But sir! The sun!"
 
"It won't reach me in here. I'll be just fine." The griffon nodded and left as Grayson looked down at his daughter. Some thing was different; he moved the hair from her eyes. Her eyes had gone from their normal light blue to pure black with flames that burned in the pupil. He shook her lightly remembering his own strength. "Child wake up. I have a gift for you."
"What is it father?" Catherine asked tiredly as she struggled to release her self from the grip of sleep.
 
"I gave these to your mother to help protect her." Grayson handed her a deck of cards. Flipping them over she noted that there were on creatures the other side were.
 
"What are these?" She asked.
 
"They are now your guardians. You can call on them whenever you choose and they'll be there for you when I cannot. That one was your mother's favorite." He pointed to a picture of a blue wind drake that had pink spots on its wings in various places.
 
"Thank you father," Catherine said wiping the sleep from her eyes. "I'll always cherish them, and use them wisely."
 
"They are to be for friends as well as comrades." Grayson said barely containing his laughter. "Call on them whenever you will. . ."