Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ A Rose Without Thorns ❯ Assignment ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: Hmmm…this is an interesting fic. I haven't decided if it's going to be good/popular yet though. I guess you'll see if you read it. I made the first chapter short so if you guys thinks it sucks then you can tell me and I won't waste time writing any more! Enjoy!

The girl spun the blade through her fingers with enormous talent, although she attempted to show none. She was merely trying to intimidate her superior. And it wasn't working. He drew himself closer to her in a single sweep that left them inches apart.

"I need your services once more," he rasped and she could identify the helplessness in his shallow voice. She smiled in spite of herself, her green eyes flickering mischievously. Just to wind him up further, she continued to spin the blade, faster now. In a single fluid motion he cuffed the blade out of her hand and sent it spiraling into a wall a dozen feet off. "Will you help me one final time?"

Again she remained silent. It took all she had not to let the hatred she felt towards this man show in her glittering emerald eyes. "I know what this does to you. I understand." He had finally hit a soft spot.

"No!" she screeched and charged at him, leaving him even more breathless than before. "No one understands what I feel like. No one!" She spun her arm down into her boot and whipped out a long knife, resting the trembling tip beneath the others chin.

To her surprise, he began to chuckle. "If this is how you wish to put an end to me," he challenged, the chuckling having stopped, "then slice my throat now." As if to emphasize his challenge, he thrust his chin skyward and closed his gray eyes.

The young woman's hand was trembling fiercely and her eyes whispered determination. Abruptly she let the long knife fall to the tile floor with a soft clang. Her superior's gray eyes met her and he let a small smile play on the edges of his lips.

"I see we have come to another agreement, Miss Hitomi."

* * *

Van sat at the edge of cliff, dangling his legs over the lip of it, staring into the darkening sky. His legs were beginning to cramp and he knew he should head back to the castle, but something made him stay a while longer. There was a soft wind blowing the hardy mountain grasses back and forth as if rocking them to sleep. Night birds began to come out to start their hunts, and animals scurried home as the night drew closer. Van didn't even notice when he laid her back on the cool rock surface, nor when he closed his cinnamon eyes.

"Lord Van!" there was a irritation sounding in the familiar voice that brought Van to his feet immediately. Merle was standing a little farther back on the bluff; her face was swollen with anger, her clothing was in tatters, and even her fluffy little tail was tufted out. "Lord Van! Is this the ultra-super-duper-incredible-mega secret conference I wasn't told about?"

Van smiled in spite of himself which only made Merle angrier. "You could have been hurt Lord Van! What would I have done then? Huh? Can you answer that?"

"I'm sorry Merle, next time I go out, I'll be sure to make a note of that," he said with mock sympathy. His answer resulted in Merle spitting and hissing a bit more before she collected herself.

"Well come on now," she hissed and scampered ahead on all fours. Just like Merle, Van thought.

When they reached the gates of the castle, Van was warmly greeted by his guards and other random people in the area. He smiled and waved at most of them as he was ushered inside quickly. Immediately he was informed of the arrival of a messenger from Asturia bearing important news.

Sighing, he brushed most the dirt off his clothes and was rushed to conference room. Upon entering, he heard the heavy doors shut and the locks click like he was a convict in holding. When turning to reach the table, he encountered a long blonde-haired man with his back turned. "It sure did take you a while to arrive," the blonde spoke haughtily.

"And who would talk as such to me?" Van questioned, already wishing he wasn't locked in. The blonde turned and cerulean blue eyes fixed on his.

"I believe we have met once or twice before?" Allen questioned jokingly, wearing a small phony smile.

"And if I know where this meeting is going, I believe you already know my answer." Allen pulled up a chair across from where Van was sitting.

"There are a few things I left unfinished in our last discussion and I would rather you make a decision based on all the facts."

"Facts or no, my decision is final."

"But you realize that if anything happens to Fanelia again then the whole of Gaia will fall."

"Fall to whom?"

"To Zaibach!"

"First, we both know that Zaibach is gone. It's been gone for years. Second, even if they were back, I grant you, Asturia are their allies, why should I believe a word you say?" Allen was taken aback.

"That is atrocious. You know I never was allied to Zaibach."

"Your country was."

"That's beside the point!"

"No, actually, that's more to the point than anything you've already told me."

"Will you please let me finish."

"Do I have to?"

"If all the countries of Gaia don't become one large country, we'll be overrun! Zaibach has too many eyes in too many places, and we are all too scattered to do anything about it. I promise you, if you willingly give over Fanelia to me, I will make sure she is protected from anything and-"

"I've heard enough!"

"But you have to, there is no one stronger than an Asturian and-"

"No."

"You hold the fate Gaia in your own hands!" That froze Van. He hadn't expected Allen to right out say it. He knew that was what he was implying, however, saying it made a big difference. Allen could sense his defense falling and jumped at the opportunity.

"What you do could affect the entire world of Gaia! I can handle that responsibility-" He finally lost his grip on Van.

"NO!" Van screamed not meaning to. Allen's eyes blazed with anger, but it kept whatever he was feeling to himself. He nodded his acknowledgement to Van, turned on his heel, and left.

Van didn't even notice the pair of bright emerald eyes peering at him through the stained glass windows of the conference room.

AN: Hope you liked! I don't really know exactly where I am going with this so I can't tell you any secrets about the next chapter, sorry! Please R&R! Remember, the more who review, the better the next chapter will be!