Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ An Unexpected Ally ❯ Chapter ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]





~An~Unexpected~Ally~


~Chapter 5~


Dilandau looked up again as he heard Alex coming back and stood up.

"My turn." Dilandau said. She threw him a towel.

"Watch out for the waterfall. It's cold." She then walked over to the fire and sat down.


~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~& gt;~^*~^~*^~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~< ;~<~<


Dilandau sighed in relief as the blood finally washed off. He went under for a moment,
then came back up and swept his hair back. He looked up at the Mystic Moon and wondered where the Vione was at the moment. He ran his hands over his soaked hair and sighed. Wading back to the shore, he grabbed a towel and dried off, then pulled on his pants, threw his jacket over his shouder and headed back to the clearing.


When he got back, he found Alex asleep with her head resting on Diamond's back. He walked over to the fire and sat down, then seemed to go into a trance as he stared at the dancing flames. Eventually, he fell asleep.


The next morning, he was the first to wake up. After splashing cold water from a stream over his face to fully wake himself up, he walked over to Alex, who was still asleep against Diamond. He kneeled beside her and started to shake her awake. Diamond woke up and looked over at him, his eyes questioning. Then Diamond shook his head and woke up Alex. She opened her eyes and looked up at Dilandau.

"Don't tell me it's morning already." She complained as she sat up.

"Yes, it is, and we have to get moving. We aren't too far away from the capital." He answered. She stood up, muttering to herself.


~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~& gt;~^*~^~*^~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~< ;~<~<


~Vione~

"We haven't been able to find them yet, Lord Folken." Viole reported nervously.

"Where can they be? We've already searched 3 of the nearby cities." He held his head for a moment, then straightened up suddenly. "The capital of Zaibach." He said, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.


~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~& gt;~^*~^~*^~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~< ;~<~<


~Woods~outside~Asturia's~capital~

Alex sat behind Dilandau with her arms wrapped around his waist while they rode at a gallop. Soon Dilandau pulled Diamond to a stop.

"Perfect. We're farther from the capital of Zaibach then I thought. This is Asturia's capital, Palas." Dilandau jumped down and Alex followed suit. She placed a hand on Diamond's neck and looked at Dilandau.

"So are we going to carry on, or are we staying in Palas? What are we going to do?" Dilandau studied the large city.

"I vote we move on."

"Why?" Dilandau looked at her.

"Because I said so. And if I say so, you're going to." He snapped. Alex looked surprised at the sudden, harsh responce. After a moment, Dilandau turned away. "Let's get moving already." She stared at the country for a moment, then swung up in the saddle before Dilandau could and took off. Dilandau watched her take off. "What is her problem?" He sighed and started on foot in the direction she had taken off in.


~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~& gt;~^*~^~*^~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~< ;~<~<


Dilandau was feeling very worn out from walking 6 miles. He was about to take a break when he spotted Alex sitting on a rock and feeding Diamond something out of her hand. He stormed over and stood behind her, not saying anything.

"I was wondering when you'd get here." She said, not looking at him. This angered him even more.

"You have some nerve taking off on me like that." She brushed her hands off on her pants then turned to him.

"And you have some nerve snapping at me back in Palas." She retaliated, anger growing in her eyes as well. Diamond snorted and pawed the ground. "You are such a jerk. You finally seem to be half decent, then your true personality comes back." Black Diamond tossed his head as if he was feeling the same anger Alex was. "I can't believe that for a while, I was actually trusting you."

She then struck him across the face hard enough that he stumbled and fell. He held his cheek for a moment, then pulled his hand away, revealing a white handprint quickly turning red. Dilandau hissed slightly as he brushed his fingers against his cheek and felt small scratches where her nails had probably come in contact with his skin. He looked up at her, shock and surprise written all over his face. She stared down at him, then turned and swung up into the saddle.

Alex paused, looked down at him, then held out her hand. He stared at her hand, then looked up at her. "Just take my damn hand." She snapped quietly. After a moment, Dilandau sighed, stood up, grabbed her hand and allowed her to pull him into the saddle. This time he was in the back.
He slipped his arms around her slender waist, causing a faint blush to show up on her face. He was just holding on loosely, then his grip instictivly tightened when they took off straight into a gallop. "You're gonna have to tell me what direction the capital is in, you know."

"Why don't you just let me take the reins?" He asked.

"Because Diamond is still mad at you, and I don't trust him to behave if you take the
reins before he calms down." Alex answered. Dilandau nodded his understanding and told her to
head east.


~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~& gt;~^*~^~*^~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~< ;~<~<


It was getting dark quickly, and Dilandau suggested that they stop for the night.
Alex nodded, too worn out to say anything, and waited for him to swing down out of the saddle.
When he was down, he turned to her to help her down as it was obvious she was too tired to
get off herself. She was about to slide off when she let out a pained gasp and fell down. Dilandau caught her and was very concerned.

"Alex?!"

"My shoulder..." She gasped. He looked at her right shoulder and his stomach dropped when he saw an arrow lodged deep into her shoulder. Dilandau then looked up and glanced around, looking for anybody.

"Who fired that arrow?" He snapped, looking around the clearing. Dilandau looked back down at Alex, who had dropped into unconciousness from the pain. "Well, before I do anything, I gotta get that arrow out."

He picked her up and carried her over to a large tree then leaned her against it. After starting a fire, he walked back over to Alex. Dilandau sat her up so that the arrow was easily reachable. "I just hope she doesn't wake up. If she does-" He grasped the arrow. "She'll scream bloody murder." Just as he was about to pull it out, she decided to wake up. She looked up at him.

"W-what are you doing?"

"Perfect." Dilandau muttered before biting his lip, closing his eyes and yanking out the arrow. She gasped in shock and pain, then gripped Dilandau's jacket in her clenched fist tightly, breathing in short pants.

"Oh my...may the gods..." She swallowed hard. She heard a rip and turned to see
Dilandau had taken off his armor, jacket, and undershirt, and was procceding to tear his shirt into
strips, then wrap her shoulder. She closed her eyes and tried to ignore the pain. Then she thought
of something. "Dilandau, what country are we in?" He thought for a moment.

"We're on the border of Asturia." He answered, continuing to wrap her injury.

"So it's not anyone who stumbled onto us just now. Asturia's an ally, they wouldn't attack us. It's someone who-" She stopped when the pain was too intense.

"Someone who what?" Dilandau asked. He tightened the make-shift bandage with a hard tug, then tied it and looked at her, waiting for her to answer.

"Someone who's been following us the entire time." She managed to finish. He looked startled, then glanced around, pulling out his sword.

"You stay here." He said, walking into the forest to find the attacker.

"Yeah, like I'm really gonna go anywhere in this state." She muttered, being careful not to strike her shoulder against anything as she changed position.


~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~& gt;~^*~^~*^~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~< ;~<~<


Dilandau walked around, looking for their attacker. So far, he hadn't found anyone.
Suddenly, he heard Alex cry out. "Get away from me! Let me go!!" Dilandau turned around quickly.

"Alex!" He ran back to the clearing and froze. Alex was thrashing in the grip of a male that seemed to be a few years older then him.

"Get your hands off of me!" She snapped, still trying to get out of his vice-like grip.

"Hey!" The man jerked up and narrowed his eyes as he watched Dilandau draw his sword. A smirk crossed the stranger's face and he grabbed Alex by her injured arm, picking her up and pressing her against his chest, and she gasped in shock as she felt the hot blade of a sword pressed against her throat.

To silence her, he gripped her injured arm harder. She closed her eyes tightly, instantly silencing. Dilandau's eyes narrowed, but didn't do anything else; didn't risk it. "What do you want?" Dilandau demanded quietly.