Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Angel ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 1

"Angel!"

The girl turned her head in her sleep.

"Angel! Time to get up!"

The girl rolled over.

"Angel, you're going to be late!"

The girl buried her head under her pillow in her attempt to block out the voice.

A new voice called this time.

"Angel! I'm going to change all the settings on your stereo!"

The girl shot straight up.

"Don't you dare touch my stuff Marcus!"

Laughter followed her down the stairs as the girl ran down.

"Glad you decided to join the land of the living Angel." A red-haired boy teased.

"Shut up, Marcus." Angel yelled at her brother.

"Shouldn't you be leaving soon?" a red-haired man spoke without looking up from his book. "It's almost noon."

"What!? Oh! I'm going to be late! Thanks Dad."

"Not a problem kiddo."

"Better hurry." Marcus called after her as Angel ran back to her room.

Angel changed into her favorite white t-shirt and baggy blue pants over her tight blue shorts. She threw her black gloves that held her throwing stars into a bag and ran to her door.

As she ran she past her mirror and got a quick glance at her reflection. What she saw made her stop. Her knee length hair was lose and messy and her clothes were wrinkled. She didn't really care about her clothes but her hair was a problem. Angel had been growing her hair for as long as she could remember and it was something she was proud of. She quickly stopped and put it into a quick braid.

Angel looked at herself again. Now her hair was lose down to her shoulders and then went into her tight braid. She smoothed out her shirt a bit and put on her black sneakers. After pushing some hair out of her eyes she got a glance at the clock. 10:45! She was going to be late!

Angel ran down the stairs and out the door, taking a shortcut through the kitchen.

"Don't forget lunch!"

Angel doubled back and grabbed the large cooler from the woman who had called her back.

"Thanks Mom!" She yelled as she ran out the door again.

Alexia smiled as her daughter ran out the door. She had never thought that the little girl she and her husband, Carlos, had found that night ten years ago would grow up into such a beautiful young woman.

Alexia could remember that night clearly. She and Carlos had been walking through the forest when a flash of light drew their attention to a clearing. They had run to see what it was and found a little girl. They had thought that the girl was hurt because she was unconscious and very pale. She looked as though she had lost a lot of blood. But there had been no marks to suggest that.

Carlos went to pick her up to take her to the hospital when something reflected the light of the moon. At closer inspection, Carlos saw that in was a throwing star. There were about a dozen more in her belt.

"You should probably take those off." Alexia said as she came up behind Carlos. "They might hurt her."

"Yeah." Carlos replied as he tried to take one off. It was stuck, so he had to take the belt off. As he did he noticed some engraving on the back of the buckle. It said:

Angel Lazar de Fanel

White, 12th Moon

Happy birthday little angel.

Your brothers, Folken Laquor de Fanel and

Van Slanzar de Fanel

"That must be her name: Angel." Alexia whispered.

Suddenly the girl stirred.

"What happened? Where am I? Actually, who am I?"

One thought crossed Alexia and Carlos' minds. Amnesia.

Alexia sighed. Angel had adjusted to her new life with Alexia and Carlos well. They had signed all the legal papers and adopted Angel. They had told her she had been living at the orphanage since her parents died in a car crash. She had taken it well since she couldn't remember anything. Angel had been accepted into the family of four and had lived comfortably for years, until that day when…

No! Alexia thought. We all promised never to talk about that again.

"Alexia, honey," Carlos' voice broke her out of her trance. "Are Andrew and Kyra coming to the tournament?"

"Hmm? Oh, yes! They said they would meet us there."

"Excellent. Angel will be ecstatic. She hasn't seen them since Kyra announced she was pregnant."

"Yes. It will be nice to see them again." Alexia smiled as she thought about being a grandmother.

Marcus just wolfed down his cereal, ignoring everything else.

As Angel ran through the streets of her hometown she thought of her dream.

It was so real. I could've sworn I was actually there. But that's impossible. I don't have any brothers named Folken or Van. And Dad is most definitely alive. But it was all so real. I'll have to ask Ebony `bout it.

Ebony Darkare was Angel's best friend. They had known each other since grade one. In grade three they had met Zire Markel, who quickly became their friend. Three years ago Kay Satou had moved to her school and joined the group of friends.

Angel thought about her friends and smiled. Then she thought about where she was headed and redoubled her efforts. Angel and her friends were competing in the `Armed + UnArmed Tournament'. Ebony was using her crossbow in the archery tournament. Zire had his daggers and Angel had her throwing stars. Kay was the only one in the unarmed part. He was using just basic martial arts.

The tournament would last for the entire day. So Angel was in charge of bring the lunch because they all agreed she was the best cook. That was why she was now lugging a large cooler filled with food halfway across town.

Angel lifted the cooler up again as she entered the park where the tournament was being held. She ran up a hill to get a better look at the crowd. She looked around until she saw a familiar head of green hair. It was Zire. He had recently died his hair from it's original blond to bright green. When Angel looked closer she saw Ebony's straight, black hair and Kay's black hair tipped with red

"Hey," Angel called. "Over here!"

Her friend's heads snapped up as they looked in her direction. Ebony and Zire's faces lit up as they saw her. Ebony's because she was happy to see her best friend. Zire's because he saw the large cooler filled with delicious food.

When Angel's friends got to the top of the hill, Zire threw himself onto the cooler.

"FOOD!!!" He yelled at the top of his lungs, drawing some odd looks from the people walking by. All of his friends laughed at his act.

"Honestly, Zire." Ebony said. "You'd think you'd never eaten."

"Well, yeah, but this is Angel's food we're talking about."

"I have to admit he's got a point there, Eb." Kay put in. "Angie-chan's food is pretty good."

"Yeah, I guess." Ebony said.

"So, what'd ya bring me, Angie-pie?" Zire asked Angel.

"Well…I've got fried chicken, pizza, pop, chips, and home-made fudge for you." Angel paused as Zire jumped up and gave her a hug, his large form towering over her small one. "Salad, a pita sandwich and my low-fat cookies for Ebony." Again she paused as Ebony voiced her thanks. "And lots of sushi, noodles and okonomiyaki which, I might add, was very hard to make, for Kay."

"Thanks Angie-chan." Kay said using her Japanese name, Angel cute. "You really didn't have to go to all the trouble just to make my meal."

"No prob, Kay. Think of it as my way as repaying you for those Japanese lessons. Oh, and, Zire? Would you mind letting go of my arm? You're cutting of the circulation."

"Sorry Angel. `M just real happy ya made my favourites. So…what'd ya make for yerself?"

"Just some fruit, a roast beef sandwich and a piece of honey cake." Everyone's mouths watered at the mention of honey cake. Angel made it from regular cake, then she drenched it in honey and added bee shaped chocolates on top.

"Thanks for making lunch, Angel, but we need to get signed up and changed. Kay and Zire have already done that part." Ebony said as she started down the hill to a large table in front of two large tents.

"Yeah, coming." Angel noticed Ebony was right about Kay and Zire. Kay had on loose red pants, a white shirt and white boots. His red sweater was tied around his waist since, although it was hot now, it could become much colder quickly.

Zire had on brown pants, a tight green shirt, black sneakers and a floppy green hat. His favourite green jacket was tied around his waist for the same reason Kay's sweater was tied around his.

After the girls had registered they went into the tent marked `Girls'. Once inside they found a quiet corner to change. Angel took off her pants and shirt to reveal her shorts and tank top and shoved her hands into her gloves.

Ebony pulled off her black pants and black leather jacket and changed into an outfit that looked a lot like Angel's except that the shorts went down to her knees and her shirt was shorter so it showed a bit of skin. She pulled a crossbow and some bolts out of the same bag from which she got her clothes. She put the bolts into a quiver on her back and strapped the crossbow onto her belt.

"You look good." Ebony told Angel as they left the tent.

"You too." She replied. "Hey! I almost forgot. I had a really weird dream last night.

"What happened?"

"Well, I was younger, about four or five. I was in a whole other world. There were people who were half human. I was a princess. I got in a big fight with my mom and ran away. I was out in the forest when I was blinded by a flash of light and just disappeared."

"Say no more. It's probably because you're nervous about tomorrow. After all, it is the tenth anniversary of the day you were adopted. Your subconscious is hoping you'll find out who your real parents were and, when it realises it won't, it just made something up. As for the bright flash, it's your subconscious, explaining your amnesia when Carlos and Alexia adopted you. You felt you were in a different world because you don't always feel at home in this one."

Ebony's explanation was cut short by the boys' arrival.

"Hey," Zire's voice cut in. " The first event is about to start!"