Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Angel ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 3

"The next event will now begin. All contestants please report to the arena." The announcer's voice filled the area and twelve people headed toward the arena.

"This event will be judged exactly like the archery. All contestants please step up to the white line."

Angel smiled to Zire who was beside her. "Remember, we promised to do our best, even though we're fighting against each other."

"I won't forget. But don't complain when I beat ya."

"Hmp. That'll be the day."

After that they had no time to talk as they were concentrating of hitting their targets. Angel flicked her wrist back and a star slipped out of her glove. She pulled her arm back, loving the feel of the star in her hand. She looked at the target, adjusted the angle of her wrist and flung her arm forward. Just as the star left her hand, she flicked her wrist so that the star would spin. The star flew through the air and hit the target with a thunk. Angel repeated this twice more and hit her target each time.

Beside her Zire was doing the same thing. He had pulled a dagger from his pant pocket and brought the tip to his ear. He tilted his head, lifted his arm up and back and flicked his wrist forward. The dagger hit the target dead centre. By that time Zire already had another dagger in his hand. He hit his target twice more, straightened up and smiled at Angel, and his friends in the stands.

Just like in the archery the contestants moved back until only Angel, Zire and two others were left. Angel and Zire both hit their targets twice and the other two hit them once.

"The next part is the moving targets. All contestants with six or more points please step up to the black line." Only six people stepped up. "Each contestant will be able to use their own weapon since they all have either different colours or different weapons." Angel was using her silver throwing stars and Zire was using his silver daggers. "At the whistle…start. Ready? TWEEETTT." The announcer blew his whistle.

They all started throwing. It was clear to anyone watching that either Angel or Zire would be the winner. But who?

Angel was using aim, not speed, while Zire was doing the opposite but they seemed to be even in targets hit. But Zire seemed to be running out of daggers. He had emptied all his pockets and was now on his last one. As soon as he had launched it he took off his hat to reveal another dozen daggers. He started to quickly throw these as well.

"STOP!" Every weapon dropped to the ground from their wielder's hands. "The totals will be revealed when they are tabulated."

Angel and Zire walked over to their friends to talk while they waited for their scores.

"Hey guys." Ebony called to them as they walked up. "You both did great."

"Yeah," Kay added. "But it's too bad only one of you can win."

"Well, yeah." Angel said. "But we both agreed that, no matter who won, we'd still be friends."

"Muhum…even though we all know who's going to win. It'll be…" Zire was cut off by the announcer.

"And now the final scores. " He went through the other's scores quickly. "And now for the two highest scores: Zire Markel with 30 and Angel Jace with 29. Zire Markel is the winner."

"Yes!" Zire started jumping up and down. "I won!"

"Great job Zire." Angel said, a little sad about losing. "You deserve it. You trained really hard for this."

"So did you, Angel." Zire replied as he stopped jumping. "It's too bad we couldn't both win."

"Yeah. That's annoying." Ebony put her arm around Angel's shoulder. "But hey, at least you only lost by one."

"And you both got the two best scores." Kay put in.

"And the silver medal matches my hair." Angel said with false enthusiasm. Inside she was screaming at herself for losing. Part of her was happy for Zire but she still wished she had received first place. She had failed. She had done the one thing she hated doing. It was something she had gotten from her dad. He hated failure and had taught his children to be the same.

"Hey, it's time for the next event. That's mine." Kay interrupted Angel's thoughts. She looked up and noticed an oddly large smile on his normally serious face.

"Well then, you'd better hurry up and get to the arena." Angel told him. "We'll go find our seats."

"Right. See you all later." Kay said turning to leave.

"Don't forget. We're meeting at Green Ravine for lunch." Ebony called after him.

"I won't."

"Well, we'd better get back to those seats before someone takes them." Zire said cheerfully. He noticed that Angel was uncharacteristically quiet. "Hey, Angel. You ain't mad at me, are you? Because I got first."

"What? Oh…no. It's not that. It's just…no. It… doesn't really matter. I'll be fine."

"You sure? I mean…if anything's wrong…"

Angel cut him off. "Everything's fine. Don't worry `bout it."

"Well…okay."

"Hey," Ebony butted in happily. "Why so serious? It's a warm day, we've got school off for the tournament and so far we've all won our events."

"Okay. That's weird. It's like you and Zire just totally switched personalities." Angel stared at the two as they looked at each other. Zire burst out laughing and Ebony let a smile play at her lips.

"Now that's the two best friends I know and love." Angel started laughing along with Zire.

"The first match will now begin." The announcer's voice stopped their laughing.