Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Angel ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 6

Angel shot straight up in bed, her hand clamped over her mouth to stop her scream. She carefully listened for any sign that her parents or brother had heard her and, hearing none, let her hand fall.

Angel looked at her clock and sighed. 6:30 am on a Saturday. Oh well, she thought. Might as well get up. Won't be able to get back to sleep. She quietly slipped out of bed and to the bathroom down the hall.

Once in the shower she thought over her dream. It had been like the last one; the same guy at least. The only thing different was that she herself wasn't participating. It was like watching a movie.

Angel stepped out of the shower and wrapped a large blue towel around herself. She headed back to her room and got dressed. She pulled on a pair of royal blue tear-off track pants and a white

t-shirt.

She crept downstairs and pulled open the fridge. Grabbing a fruit salad she sat down and ate.

I really should start packing, Angel thought as she finished her breakfast. She quietly ran back up to her room and dug her duffel bag out of her closet. She pulled some clothes from her dresser and closet as well as a pair of sneakers then included some of her favourite books and her pencil case. Going to the kitchen she grabbed some large bags of chips, chocolate bars and 1 litre pop bottles.

Angel quickly wrote a note to her parents saying she was going out for a walk, grabbed her keys and sketch book, threw on her school jacket, shoved her feet into boots, and left. She walked down into the forest and found a peaceful cluster of rocks beside a brook and sat down. She pulled her pencil out of her sketchbook and started to draw.

Slowly the carefully drawn lines formed a picture. After half an hour she was done. What had once been a blank page was now a beautiful picture of seven people on a picnic. A woman with long hair sat on a blanket as she placed a wreath of flowers on a small boy's head. Beside her a man and teenage boy laughed as they watched two more children, a boy and girl who both appeared part cat, wrestle. Standing behind the woman a young girl wove flowers into the woman's hair. Angle stood up and held her picture before her. Smiling she signed her name and headed home.

On her way Angel stopped in at the Magic Shop. Using the key Varel gave her she eased the door open, trying her best to be quiet. Seeing a light on in the back room, Angel crept around the corner. She saw Varel working at her desk and a plan came into her head. She took a deep breath and was about to scream when Varel turned around.

"Hello Angel." Varel said, a slight smile on her lips. "Glad you could make it."

"Yeah." Angel said nervously. "How did you know I was here?"

"Your boots are loud. Anyway, I assume you're here for your present."

"Uh, yeah, I guess. Is that why you wanted me here?"

"Yes." Varel stood up, her long dark green hair falling to her ankles. "Just a minute." She went over to a closet and pulled out two packages. She handed Angel the smallest. "This is from me. "

Angel took the box and opened it. Lying inside was a tiny white dragon wrapped around a dark blue stone. The dragon was so detailed that Angel thought it would come to life any minute. The stone was so dark it was almost black and seemed to glow with an inner light. The whole thing hung from a thin silver chain.

"Oh, Varel." Angel breathed, her gaze glued on the necklace. "It's beautiful. Thank you."

"It's nothing dear. Now, this is from my husband." Varel handed Angel the other, longer package.

"But, I've never met you husband." Angel protested.

"He's heard all about you. Now go on, open it."

"Alright." Angel quickly opened the box and gasped in shock at what was inside. It was a long sword. The hilt had a bizarre engraving on it. It was red and yellow with two angel wings flanking it. Lying beside the sword was its sheath. The sheath had a yellow background with a red dragon wound around it.

"Do you like it?" Varel asked.

"It's amazing, but why?"

"My husband thought you might need it. Now, I believe you have a camping trip scheduled for today." Varel ushered Angel towards the door. "Just remember to keep those with you."

"Okay, but why?"

"Telling would ruin all the fun." Varel pushed Angel out the door. "Now hurry up. You don't want to be late."

"Right. Thank you. " Angel stared at the closed door for a minute before turning and walking away.

Angel's parents were still asleep by the time she got home. Creeping to her room she grabbed her bag, only pausing to put her presents in.

Stopping in the bathroom she admired her new necklace. It hung over her breastbone, the stone standing out brightly. Angel still thought it seemed to glow, but she pushed it off as an illusion caused by her being up so early.

Angel went back downstairs and gently took the sword out of its box. Sliding in into its sheath she noticed a clip on the back. Quickly she ran upstairs, grabbed a belt and attached the sheath and sword onto it. Grabbing her bag and scribbling another note to her parents she once again left.

Just outside the door, she exchanged her boots for her roller blades she sped out to the forest.

There she met Ebony, Kay and Zire. "Hey guys. How ya doing?" Angel slowed to a stop in front of Ebony and gave her a hug.

"We're fine." Kay said. "Are you ready to go?"

"Just a sec." Angel quickly changed back into her boots. "Now I'm ready."

"Hey," Ebony jumped back. "Where'd you get the sword?"

"Varel gave it to me. She said it was from her husband."

"Cool. Now take these." Zire pushed a large bag at her. "It's all your presents from us. But you can't open them `til tonight."

"So I get to carry them?" Angel joked as she put the presents in her bag. "No problem, let's just get started. The sooner we find a spot to camp the sooner the fun can start."

The four friends had just started of into the forest, the clock tower chiming 7:30 behind them, when they were blinded by a flash of light.

"Whoa! What was that?" Zire asked as his vision cleared. "Is everyone okay?"

"I'm fine." Ebony said as she rubbed her eyes.

"Same here." Kay let his hand fall back down.

"Angel?" Zire looked around. Angel was nowhere to be seen.

"Angel?" Ebony and Kay joined Zire in calling out. Looking around they saw that Angel had disappeared. The three teens stood in shock as the realisation of what had just happened sunk in.