Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Ashes and Remembrance ❯ Chapter Eight ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

EIGHT

Sitting back from the table, Folken Lacour rubbed his fingers across his eyes and drew in a deep breath. He had been working for several hours without a break and the drawings on the table had started to blur. Rising from his seat, he walked to the small sideboard and reached for the water pitcher. After pouring a generous mug full, he returned to his seat to contemplate the plans that lay out before him. As he drank, he looked at the handwritten notes he had made along the margins. I think that this component needs to be . . . Picking up his quill; he added a few more notes.

Since he had started working as Dornkirk's apprentice, the emperor had discovered that Folken had quite an aptitude for mechanics and design. In addition to his other studies, Dornkirk had assigned him to work with a group of sorcerers that were designing a new guymelef model. If all of the problems in the prototype models could be fixed, the new machines would be the most advanced mecha on Gaea.

Folken did have to admit to himself that he found the whole subject of machines and their design fascinating. The technology needed to build a guymelef was staggering and at first it had intimidated him. But as he started to learn and understand more, he found himself engrossed in it. Zaibach considered itself to be the most technologically advanced country on Gaea and he could see why. When he had first come there, he had been in awe of the technology that most of the city's citizens took for granted. The machines that pumped and heated water, the carriers that ran on tracks above the city, and even the massive floating fortresses had all made their impression. Maybe this is where I was meant to be . . .

With Jindra gone to Palas, he had thrown himself into his studies. He knew that Dornkirk was pleased with his renewed efforts and that working on the guymelef project was as much a reward as it was a learning experience. But as much as he liked the work, Folken knew deep down that it was just something to fill the void that existed in his life until Jindra returned. Then what -- back to meeting in the park and hiding from everyone? More and more he had found himself thinking about their relationship and what the future might hold. Sometimes he would sit in his rooms at night and make plans to leave Zaibach with her. He wasn't even sure if Jindra would agree to it and even if she did, where could they go? Palas would be the most obvious choice, but it was also the first place that anyone would look for them. Folken was sure that her family would come after her and he also had a very strong feeling that Dornkirk would not willingly let him go either. But one thing he was completely sure of was that the longer he stayed in the tower, the harder it would be for them to be together.

Jin. She had been gone for almost four weeks and he missed her so much. They had met again in the park the day before she had left and he had again asked her not to go; but she insisted that she had to. Please Folken, try to understand; I just need some time . . . I'm going to miss you too. I love you - you know that. Don't worry -- I'll be back before you know it.

They had spent the rest of that brief time lost in each other's arms and lips. Folken didn't want to let her go because he was afraid that he would never see her again. Jindra had tried reassuring him that everything would be okay and that she loved him. She had given him that little smile that she knew he liked, taken his left hand and placed it on her bosom - over her heart. You have my heart Folken Lacour . . . you are my heart. She had tried to smooth his fears away with her kisses and her hands; and her touch had made him groan out loud and grip her tighter in his arms. Folken had wanted more, so much more - more than kisses and light touches. He wanted to be with her completely, to show her his love for her. He wanted to spend the rest of his life sharing that love with her; but he was afraid - afraid that she would reject him if she saw what he really was. So he had said nothing and watched her walk away from him.

Yet deep down, Folken had sensed that something was wrong - there had been a subtle change in Jindra's manner that he couldn't quite put his finger on, but something had changed. It was almost as if she were afraid of something. She kept glancing around the clearing where they had sat and it seemed almost as if she were trembling at times. He had tried asking her if something was wrong, but she only insisted that he was imagining things. But something has happened . . . she's afraid of something - or someone. He had wondered if it had something to do with her family. Maybe she's been arguing with her parents. But if that were the case, why would they let her go to Palas? Coren? No, she would have told me if something had happened to him. Folken had racked his brain trying to puzzle out Jindra's odd behavior until he had given himself a headache. Well whatever it is, I'm sure she'll tell me when she's ready.

Sighing, he looked back down at the drawings on the table, dipped his quill and got back to work.

----------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------

Her elbow propped on the desk top and her chin cupped in the palm of her hand, Jindra Roh gazed longingly out the large picture window of her aunt's sitting room. Spread out before her through the glass was a breathtaking view of the ocean. She had come there after lunch with every intention of writing a few quick letters. I haven't written home in the past two weeks, Mother is probably livid. But instead, she had sat at the desk for the past half an hour enthralled by the shimmering, sun sparked waters below. She watched the fishing boats and other small vessels as they passed through the harbor mouth and out to sea. She watched the gulls that wheeled through the blue, cloudless sky. I don't think there is anywhere more beautiful or more perfect on the whole of Gaea. I wish Folken could be here to see it; I think he'd love it too. Lost in her thoughts, Jindra didn't hear her aunt enter the room.

"Jindra? Jindra . . . are you awake?" Bethanne Barrant reached out and lightly shook her niece's shoulder.

"Huh? What . . .? Oh, Bethanne - no, I'm not asleep. I was lost for a while, but I wasn't asleep."

Bethanne smiled and nodded towards the window. "It's beautiful, isn't it? This is my favorite room in the house too. The first time that I set my foot in this room, I knew I had to have this house. Armas didn't like it; but I convinced him that his future would be much happier if I were able to live in this house." She laughed and winked at Jindra.

Jindra had five aunts and three uncles on her mother' side of the family; and although she loved all of them, Bethanne was probably her favorite. She was only fifteen years older than Jindra which made her seem of like an older sister - and why she very rarely addressed her as "aunt" - something that Bethanne did not seem to mind at all.

Bethanne had married when she was about her niece's current age, but unfortunately her husband had died several years later from a wasting illness of the lungs. Jindra's aunt was still an attractive and vibrant woman, who still deeply mourned her husband and swore that she would never love another man nor remarry. The couple had been unable to have children and so Bethanne doted on her numerous nieces and nephews and they all considered her to be their favorite aunt.

Bethanne moved to sit in one of the side chairs that faced the window. "So, is he handsome?"

"What . . .?" Jindra gave her aunt a puzzled look.

"Is he handsome?"

"Who?"

"The man you've been pining over since you came here."

Not looking her aunt in the eye, Jindra replied. "I-I'm not pining over anyone."

Bethanne arched her eyebrow, "Please Jindra, I'm not some half-blind old maid. You haven't mentioned the university even once since you've been here, and you sit around daydreaming and mooning with big calf eyes." She smiled at the younger woman, "Besides, your mother wrote me about a special young man that had been paying you quite a bit of attention."

Jindra blushed, "I-I-I have no idea what she was talking about."

"Jindra . . . it's not nice to lie you know - especially to me. Now c'mon, tell me about him - tell me about Anton Lefebvre."

"Anton?"

"Yes; isn't that right? I'm sure that's the name that she gave."

"Oh it's the right name - but it's the wrong man. My mother is the one who likes Anton - not me; but only because she doesn't know him like I do - and I don't want to have anything to do with him."

Sensing something more behind Jindra's words, Bethanne asked gently "What do you mean?"

"He's in love with me - and he asked him to marry him."

"Marry you . . ."

"Yes, but I don't love him, so I told him no. He-he didn't take it very well - he was so angry and he said horrible things to me . . . he scared me. But I never led him on, I never encouraged him. Mother is the one who invited him over all the time and tried to push us together - she's the one that made him think that I had feelings for him."

"Well I'm sure she was only doing what she thought was best."

"But it wasn't - my parents never think of my happiness, they only think of what they want. I'm sure that if Anton had gone to them first for their consent, they would have said yes - without any thought about what I wanted or how I felt."

"That's not true. Your parents love you Jindra -- all they want is your happiness. I'm sure your mother must have seen something or heard something that made her believe that you were interested in him."

"I-I don't know . . . maybe." Jindra said reluctantly. "When he and I first met, I-I was attracted to him - a little. But that was before . . . before I realized how I really felt about . . ." She hesitated before continuing. "I liked Anton, yes, but only as a friend. I didn't mean for him to fall in love with me - I really didn't." Jindra seemed almost on the edge of tears.

Stepping over to the desk, Bethanne put her arms around her niece. "It's alright, Jindra. You can't control how other people feel." Straightening up, she took Jindra's hands. "Come over here and sit with me by the window."

When the two of them were settled, she continued. "So, it sounds like there is someone else - someone that you are in love with."

"Y-Yes . . . his name is Folken. I love him so much - and he loves me."

"I take it that your parents don't know about him?"

"N-No."

"Why not?"

"I don't think that would approve of him - I know Mother would be mortified."

"Why? Is he a farmer? A stable hand?" Jindra shook her head. "Really, Doreena should remember when she was in love with someone her father didn't approve of."

"Bethanne!" Jindra exclaimed.

"Well it's true. Your mother wore our poor father down so badly that he would have agreed to anything just to get her to leave him alone. She was a very determined woman, let me tell you. But I think it was your grandfathers' greed that eventually got him to agree. He is a merchant after all, and in the end profit is what matters most."

"How can you say things like that about your own father?"

"Quite easily - I know him better than you do. Yellan was no different with Armas and I - he didn't want us to marry either. He thought that the Barrants were beneath our family; and that's why we eloped. But after he realized the money he could save by having a shipbuilder in the family, we were welcomed with open arms."

"Well my parents aren't merchants - it's not the same. Plus things are a lot different in Zaibach - more complicated."

"Things are only complicated if you let them get that way." Bethanne was silent for a few moments before she spoke again. "This man - Folken, you're sure that he loves you?" Jindra vigorously nodded her head. "Enough to marry you?"

"W-We've never talked about it; but yes, I-I think so."

"Then what's the problem? Why are you keeping him hidden from your parents?"

It's complicated Bethanne - you wouldn't understand."

"There's that word complicated again." The older woman sighed. "I want to help you Jindra. I can see that you're unhappy, but I can't help you if you won't trust me enough to tell me what's going on."

Jindra looked at her aunt for several minutes without speaking. Finally Bethanne sighed again, "Well I don't have all afternoon to sit here and stare at you - I have some errands to run." She rose from her seat, "Don't forget, we're going to your grandfather's this evening for dinner. Please be ready when the carriage arrives - and I expect you to be properly dressed, there will be other guests there as well. If you need anything, just call one of the maids." Jindra barely nodded her head.

Bethanne hesitated for a moment in front of Jindra's chair, but her niece would not meet her eyes and kept her gaze on the floor. Without another word she strode from the room, closing the door behind her as she went.

Jindra didn't move for several minutes. When she finally did stir, she raised her head and looked towards the window - her eyes filled with tears. I'm sorry Bethanne. I don't want to hurt your feelings and I know that you want to help . . . but I don't think that you would understand.

She sat and looked out the window as her tears dried. After a little while, she left the sitting room and went upstairs to sort out what to wear for dinner. Why does love have to hurt so much?

----------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------

The carriage had arrived and the maid summoned Jindra downstairs. Bethanne was already in the front entrance hall waiting and as usual, Jindra thought that her aunt looked beautiful. Afraid that Bethanne might still be angry with her, she tried giving her a small smile.

Bethanne smiled back as she took her wrap from the maid, "Don't worry Jindra, I'm not going to bite you. I'm not angry with you, just disappointed - disappointed that you don't trust me as your friend. But it's alright . . . let's just forget about it and enjoy our evening, shall we?"

Jindra nodded her head in response. "Bethanne . . . you look beautiful - really, you do."

"Thank you; and I must say you look quite good yourself - that color really becomes you. You and I will be the envy of every other woman there. We'll have all the men to ourselves - what do you think of that?" The older woman winked at her niece.

As Jindra settled her wrap around her shoulders, the maid opened the door and the two women stepped out into the night and the waiting carriage.

When they arrived at Yellan Vardas' house, the building was ablaze with light and there were several carriages lined up ahead of them waiting to drop off passengers. Jindra stole a quick glance out of the window and saw several elegantly dressed people step out of the carriage ahead of theirs. Bethanne looked out after her, "I think that's Medien Fassa. I'm not sure who the other people are though."

"Do you know him?" Jindra asked while they waited for the carriage to pull up to the door.

"Not well; we've met socially, but I wouldn't say that I really know him. Our families are business rivals you know."

"Why would grandfather invite his business rival to dinner?"

"To show off, of course -- those two are always trying to outdo each other." Bethanne took a glance out the window, "Looks like it's our turn. All ready to go?"

The two were helped from the carriage and then escorted to the front door. Before they entered, Bethanne took Jindra's hand and squeezed it, "Time to dazzle the helpless males." Her niece laughed as they stepped into the foyer.

After leaving their wraps with a servant, the women were then shown to the ballroom. Jindra was overwhelmed by the brightness of the room and the number of people. "I thought this was supposed to be a small dinner party?"

"Well on the Vardas scale, this is a small dinner party. Come on, we should present ourselves to the great man himself first." Bethanne pulled Jindra along until they found Yellan Vardas on the far side of the room, surrounded by family and friends.

Jindra would be the first to admit that she didn't really know her grandfather all that well; in fact he intimidated her a bit. But he had always treated her kindly and welcomed her to his house whenever she visited Palas. He also never forgot her birthday and sent her the most interesting and unusual gifts. Yet there was always something hidden behind his smile and kind words that she just could never seem to put her finger on. Jindra always thought that it had something to do with the fact that her father was from Zaibach. She believed that perhaps he still resented the fact that his daughter had married against his wishes. She hesitated before stepping forward with Bethanne.

Looking up, Yellan saw the two women approaching. Smiling broadly, he reached out his arms towards them. "Here now, if you two aren't the prettiest sights in the room tonight then I must be going blind as well as senile." He hugged Bethanne and kissed her cheek, "Ah Beth, you're as beautiful as ever." Jindra saw Bethanne blush at her father's words.

Turning towards Jindra, he hugged her and kissed her cheek as well. Without releasing her completely, he stood back and looked at her. "My little Jindra . . . you're just as radiant as a star." He smiled and looked up at the small crowd gathered around, "By the gods, I have best looking daughters and granddaughters on Gaea and I'd dare any man to dispute it." Yellan hugged Jindra once more before releasing her. "So, how is that stubborn, but equally beautiful, mother of yours? And Coren? How is the boy doing? Your father is well too, I trust?" Jindra knew that everyone was looking at her and she tried to answer all of his questions without stammering.

Sensing that her niece was becoming more uncomfortable by the moment, Bethanne was about to intervene when she saw Medien Fassa approach her father. Jindra broke off speaking as her grandfather turned to greet the other man.

"Fassa old man - welcome, welcome. I have a special guest here this evening. This is my granddaughter, Jindra; she's here visiting for a while."

Jindra curtsied and smiled, "Nice to meet you sir." But Fassa only nodded his head and bowed slightly before turning towards Yellan. "Vardas, if I might have a word with you?"

After a touch on his granddaughter's shoulder and a smile, Yellan Vardas walked away with the other man. Looking around her, Jindra spotted Bethanne and quickly made her way over to her. Bethanne smiled at her, "Saved by Medien Fassa, huh? Oh well, now we can enjoy ourselves. Let's get something to drink first."

The two women walked over to the buffet tables and helped themselves to mulled wine. As they sipped at their cups, Bethanne surveyed the room a bit and she watched as a young man approached them. Nudging Jindra, she whispered "Heads up, I think this one is for you."

Jindra looked up as the man reached them. He looked to be about the same age as she or perhaps a year or two younger; he had long dark hair that fell about his shoulders, was well dressed in the current style and wore spectacles that had darkened lenses. He smiled at them and bowed, "If I may be so bold as to introduce myself, I am Dryden Fassa."

Bethanne spoke first. "Fassa? Then you must be Medien's son?" The young man nodded. "I'm Yellan Vardas' daughter, Bethanne Barrant; pleased to make your acquaintance."

Dryden Fassa took the hand that she offered, "The pleasure is all mine, I can assure you. I'm always pleased to make the acquaintance of a pretty lady." He let go of her hand as he finished speaking.

Bethanne gestured to Jindra, "This is my niece, Jindra Roh; she's here visiting Palas for a few weeks."

Jindra offered her hand to the young man. "This must be my lucky night; I've made the acquaintance of two pretty ladies this evening." He gave Jindra a rakish smile as he spoke and she could feel the blood rushing to her face. He's as big a flirt as Coren -- just what I needed.

"Two lovely ladies unescorted this evening? How barbaric! Well rest assured you are under my protection now. Can I get you ladies some fresh wine?" Bethanne nodded as Dryden took their cups and turned back towards the serving table.

Jindra looked at Bethanne and gave her a sly, playful smile. Bethanne smiled back and gave her niece a wink. This just might turn out to be a fun night after all.