Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Ashes and Remembrance ❯ Chapter Seventeen ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

SEVENTEEN

The wind whipped at their cloaks and thunder rumbled as Folken and Jindra slowly made their way down the overgrown mountain path. The sun had disappeared some time ago behind the thickening dark gray clouds. Suddenly, Jindra's horse reared up as a bright crack of lightning lit up the sky. Holding on and gripping her legs around the animal, she tried to calm it. When it finally settled down, she reached out and pulled at Folken's sleeve. "I think we need to find some kind of shelter; I have a feeling this is going to be one hell of a storm when it finally breaks."

The young man nodded his head, "But where?" The words were barely out of his mouth before the clouds opened up and the rain started to fall in pounding sheets.

"I know a place . . . follow me." Pulling her horse around, Jindra started back up the path.

"Where are you going?" Folken shouted at her. "We just came that way - there's nothing."

"The lodge," she saw his puzzled look; "the hunting lodge that I told you about." At least I hope it's still there. Folken nodded his head and followed her lead.

The rain was coming down so heavily that it made the ground a sea of treacherous mud; and the couple soon found themselves on foot, leading their horses. The two were soaked through and mud-spattered. Great cracks of lightning lit up the sky and with the loss of the sun, the air had turned cold. Jindra's hands felt like ice and she tried desperately to keep her teeth from chattering.

"Are you sure you know where you're going?" Folken yelled at her, trying to be heard over the storm.

"Y-Y-Yes, I'm sure - it shouldn't be much farther." Urging her horse along, Jindra picked up her pace and Folken found himself hurrying to catch up with her. Suddenly Jindra slipped in the mud and found herself sprawled on the ground.

Folken drop his reins and hurried to her, "Jin!" He knelt down at her side, his eyes wide with fear and concern. "Are you alright?"

"Yes . . . I just lost my footing." Jindra reached for his offered hands and he helped her up. "Damn stupid rain!" The tone in her voice was harsh. Grabbing her horse's reins, she trudged forward once more. Folken just shook his head and followed.

They were both startled when a flash of lightning illuminated the silhouette of a building several yards away in front of them. "Jin - look . . . there. Is that it?" Folken pointed.

"Yes! I knew we were close."

The two quickened their pace and reached the front yard of the building quickly. Jindra pulled at Folken's sleeve to get his attention. "There used to be a lean-to around the back - we can put the horses there."

Folken nodded his head and looked up at the small dark building. "It doesn't look like anyone is here. How are we going to get in?"

Jindra gave him a smile, "Break in of course." Seeing the look on his face, she continued. "What did you expect, Folken? We don't have any choice - we can't stay out here."

His expression grim, Folken reached for the reins of her horse. "I'll take care of the horses while you see if there's a way in."

Jindra shook her head, "No, I'll . . ."

"Just do as I ask, Jindra." He snapped at her as he grabbed the reins from her hand. Without another word, he led the horses around the side of the building.

Jindra slowly walked up the front steps and onto the front porch of the lodge. Testing the door, she found that it was locked. No surprise there. Looking at the front windows, she saw that they were shuttered from the inside. The door it is, I guess. The knife blade looked black as she pulled it from her boot. Crouching down on her heels, Jindra set to work on the door lock as her hands shook from the cold.

After several long frustrating minutes, she was rewarded when the lock finally yielded. With a quick turn of the handle, she had the door open and stepped into the shadowed building. Reaching under her sodden cloak, she reached into her black leather satchel in search of the box of matches that she knew was in there somewhere. She was surprised to find that the inside of the satchel was relatively dry. Fishing around, her hand finally found the small box and she quickly pulled one out and lit it.

After a quick search of the front room, she found some candles and a few small oil lanterns that were still full. With shaking hands, she lit the lanterns and surveyed the inside of the building. It's different then I remember; she thought. As she looked around, she tried to stop shivering. I hope there's some dry wood - please let there be some dry wood. Hearing noises behind her, she quickly turned to find Folken lumbering under the weight of two soaked saddles and blankets.

"Folken! Here, give me one of those." She took one of the saddles from him and set it down near the cold fireplace. Hurrying back behind him, she shut the front door.

"G-G-Gods, I'm freezing." Folken's voice shook as he spoke. "Is there any firewood?"

Jindra quickly looked in the box next to the hearth. "Yes - and I have some matches too." She held the small wooden box out to him. Folken took the box from her and knelt down in front of the fireplace.

While Folken busied himself with getting a fire started, Jindra removed her dripping cloak and looked around the lodge a little more. The building consisted of one large open room with a ceiling that reached all the way up to the second floor, which held a bedroom loft. I wonder . . . Going up the small set of steps, she went up to the loft.

It looks so different . . . the furniture is all different. Opening up the large wooden wardrobe next to the bed, she found a store of linens and blankets. Yes! Grabbing several of the blankets, she took them downstairs.

Folken had a small fire going and was slowly feeding the growing blaze. He looked up as she came to his side, "There you are. Where did you go? One minute you here and then you disappeared."

Jindra pointed up, "I found some blankets." Smiling, she handed him two. She then wrapped one of the remaining ones about herself; "I'm so cold . . . I don't think I'll ever feel warm again."

"Once the fire gets going, it should warm this place up in no time." Folken wrapped a blanket around his shoulders. Sitting back on his heels, he said no more as he watched the flickering flames. Jindra regarded him for a few minutes and shook her head. What's gotten into him?

Seeing the saddles, blankets and other gear on the floor, she bent down and pulled out the saddle blankets. Arranging them near the fireplace to dry, she took up the picnic basket and one of the lanterns. Giving Folken one last glance, she went into the small kitchen area.

The wicker hamper was soaked and what was left inside it looked decidedly unappetizing. With a sigh, Jindra closed the lid and explored the pantry. Opening the cupboard, she was not surprised to find that it was just about empty. There was a tin of what appeared to be tea leaves and a couple of unlabeled canisters. Great - well at least we can have something hot to drink. Investigating further, she managed to find a rather dented kettle and a couple of equally battered pewter mugs. Now all I need is some water. Taking the kettle, she went to the front door and set it out on the front step. The rain had not slackened and the kettle was full in no time at all.

Folken looked up as she shut the door, "What . . .?"

"Just getting some water - I found some tea in the cupboard." Reaching over for a pair of tongs, she pulled the pot hook in the fireplace over and put the kettle on it. After pushing the kettle over the flames, she went back into the kitchen. Folken rose and followed her.

Opening the tin of leaves, she gave the contents a dubious look. Searching through the drawers, she found a couple of spoons and a tea strainer. Must be my lucky day . . . Taking the items, she went back out to the front room while Folken followed with the mugs.

Checking the kettle, Jindra removed it from the fireplace and set it on table. Folken watched her measure out the tea leaves and pour them in the pot. Sitting down on the small sofa, she pulled the blanket tighter around her shoulders while she waited for the tea to steep. Folken sat down in a chair across from her. After a few minutes, Jindra checked the kettle and poured out two mugs.

Taking a sip, she made a face. "It definitely needs some milk." She sat back and closed her eyes, her hands wrapped around the pewter mug as if she could leech the warmth from it somehow. Gods, I'm so cold . . . She tried, without success, to keep her teeth from chattering.

Folken sat quietly and sipped at his mug. Watching Jindra, he saw that she was shaking. Putting his cup down on the table, he rose and went to her. "Jin - are you alright?" He put his hand on her arm through the blanket.

"F-F-Folken . . . I'm so c-cold . . . I-I- c-c-can't s-stop shaking . . ."

Folken took the mug from her shaking hands. Pulling the blanket from his shoulders, he wrapped it around her. "It'll warm up - I'll get some more blankets."

"N-N-No . . . c-could you j-just h-h-hold m-me . . . p-p-please?"

Folken grabbed one of the discarded blankets and sat down next to her. He wrapped it around the two of them as he cradled Jindra in his arms. Holding her close, he kissed the top of her head, "Better? Don't worry, I'll take care of you."

Jindra snuggled closer into his embrace, her head resting against his chest. "I love you . . . Folken kissed her hair again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------

Jindra awoke and found herself wrapped in Folken's arms. Her throat was dry and she felt hot, her skin flushed. No wonder . . . I'm being smothered. Shifting a little, she tried to claw her way out of the cocoon of blankets that she found herself wrapped in. Folken opened his eyes as he felt her movement, "Jin . . . is anything wrong?"

"I didn't mean to wake you . . . I just had to get out of all these blankets." As she spoke she felt the warmth of the fireplace, "It did get quite toasty in here." Jindra rose from his embrace.

Folken yawned and ruffled his hand through his hair. "I don't remember falling asleep. I wonder how late it is." Rising from the sofa, he went to the front door. Opening it, he looked out into the darkness. The rain was still coming down in waves and he could hear thunder in the distance. Sighing, he closed the door and went back to the sofa. Jindra had retrieved her now-cold tea and he grimaced as he watched her gulp it down.

"So, what's it like outside?" She sat down next to him and pulled off her mud-encrusted boots.

"Like it was when we got here. I think we're going to be stuck here for a while - tonight at least."

Jindra pulled one of the blankets across her lap and covered her feet. "Just great . . . my mother will be in quite a state when I show up tomorrow."

"I'd take your mother over what will be waiting for me when I get back to the tower. I managed to cover myself for today, but I don't think my little ruse will make it through until tomorrow."

Jindra put her hand on his arm, "I didn't even think about that - I don't want you to get into trouble, Folken." He covered her hand with his own, "Don't worry, I can handle it. Being Dornkirk's protégée does lend me some protection - I'll be alright."

Jindra leaned her head on Folken's shoulder. "Why does everything have to be so complicated? Why can't we just be together without having to worry about everyone else?"

Putting his arm around her, Folken held her close. "Worthwhile things are never easy, Jin. That's why our love is so strong."

Raising her head, Jindra looked at him. "Folken . . . do you ever . . . do you ever think about the future -- about us?"

He gave her a small smile, "All the time. While you were gone to Palas, that's all I thought about. I couldn't stand the fact that you had gone away without me . . . I never want to feel that way again."

Taking his arm from her shoulders, Folken took both of Jindra's hands in his. Slowly he raised her right hand to his lips; but before kissing it as she expected, he turned her hand over and lightly brushed his lips against the back of her wrist. Watching the reaction on her face, Folken then repeated his actions on her left wrist.

Jindra closed her eyes and a small cry escaped from her throat. Encouraged by her reaction, Folken once again repeated the kisses on her wrists. Still holding her hands, he then bent his head and kissed her lips. Jindra's breathing quickened and she felt her pulse start to race as he brushed his lips against her wrists yet again.

As Folken returned to kiss her lips, she pulled her hands from his grasp and wrapped them around his neck, pulling him closer. Jindra parted her lips and welcomed him into her mouth. She found herself running her hands through his tangled hair and down his back as she sought to draw him even closer to her. Folken followed her lead and let his hands roam over her shoulders and back. Releasing her mouth, he then let his lips travel over her face and down her throat as he left a moist trail of kisses on her flushed skin. Jindra let out a gasp and clutched at him even more tightly.

"Jin . . . gods, how I love you . . . I want to love you . . ." Folken whispered the words as he buried his face in her neck. Jindra could feel him trembling as they held each other. Suddenly, he pulled away from her. "I can't . . . I can't!"

"Folken, what is it?" Jindra reached out her hand, "Please, tell me what's wrong." He flinched as she touched his arm.

Folken turned his back to her and she could see him take several deep breaths and clench his fists at his side. His voice was hoarse with emotion, "I-I want you s-so much . . . b-but I can't do this, Jin. If I don't stop now, I-I won't be able to."

Jindra could see his shoulders shake as he spoke and she felt tears spark in her eyes. I want him as much as he wants me . . . I don't want him to stop - I want him to - to make me feel this way . . . She reached up her hand and brushed the wetness from her eyes. I want him to know how much I love him.

Folken felt Jindra get up from the sofa and heard the rustle of movement behind him. She's going to leave me . . . because I couldn't control myself . . . He jumped when she touched his back.

"F-Folken . . . I-I . . . I don't want you to stop." Her voice was soft, "Please . . ."

Turning, Folken's eyes widened as he looked at Jindra. She had removed her overdress and was clad only in her trousers and a pale sleeveless shift. "Jin . . . what . . .?" He watched the flush that spread across her skin and he saw that she was trembling.

Kneeling down in front of him, Jindra took hold of his hands. "P-Please . . . I-I want - I want you to l-love me, Folken . . . I want you to . . . please . . ."

Folken looked down at her in wonder. Her hair was tangled and she had dried mud on her cheek; but at that moment, none of it mattered. All that he could see was the love and trust in Jindra's eyes as she looked up at him. Gods, how I want her . . . All that he had dreamed about, the very thing that haunted him in his bed at night, was being offered; and still he hesitated. Pulling his hands from her grasp, he cupped her face. "Jin . . ."

Jindra covered his hands with her own, "Please . . . don't turn me away. I think I'd die if you refused me right now. Please . . . I-I want you . . . I want to be with you. I love you Folken." Her voice pleaded with him.

Folken looked into her eyes for a few moments as of searching for something. He then reached down and pulled her to her feet as he rose from the sofa. Taking up one of the fallen blankets, he wrapped it around her shoulders.

Jindra looked crestfallen and she started to speak, "No . . . please, don't . . ." Before she could finish however, Folken placed his finger across her lips. "Shhhhhh." Pulling her into his arms, he kissed her once again.

Picking up the lantern from the table, he took her hand and led her up the steps to the loft.