Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Ashes and Remembrance ❯ Chapter Twenty-One ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

TWENTY-ONE

Folken Lacour lay in that half-world between sleep and consciousness. He could feel the warmth of Jindra's body as she lay curled up beside him in the bed. She was lying on her side with her back to him with his hand resting lightly on her hip. To spend every night for the rest of my life like this . . . Jindra shifted onto her back and Folken's hand slip with her to rest on her stomach; he opened his eyes and groaned. Not again! Why can't she stay still? Apparently his new fiancée was a very restless sleeper and Jindra was constantly moving and turning. Every time that Folken found himself on the verge of falling asleep, she would move and jolt him awake. Oh well, guess I'll have to get used to it . . .

Folken found himself recalling his parent's bedchamber in the Fanelian palace. He remembered climbing in bed with them during a particularly violent thunderstorm. He wasn't sure how old he was at the time, but it had been before Van was born. As great cracks of lightning lit up the night sky, he had run into their bedchamber and wriggled into their bed as they slept. Clutching at his mother's arm, she had awakened and kissed his head; telling him not to be afraid. As he fell asleep between them, he remembered how safe and loved he had felt.

Looking at Jindra as she slept, Folken suddenly felt scared as he finally realized just where his hand rested and what the two of them had done that night. Like Jindra, Folken had never experienced the more intimate, physical side of love until that night; but he had learned enough to know that children were conceived by making love. Children . . . our children - gods, I never really thought of that before. Have we made a child of our own? No, probably not . . . it's only our first night together.

Closing his eyes once again, Folken started imagining what their children would like. I hope she . . . yes, I think I'd like to have a daughter first; Id want her to have Jin's hair and smile . . . my mother's gentle manner; and my brains, of course . . . He finally drifted off to sleep, dreaming of auburn-haired children who laughed and shrieked as they jumped up and down on his bed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------

Small cracks of sunlight filtered through the shuttered windows in the loft. Folken crouched next to the bed looking at Jindra as she slept. She was sleeping on her stomach with the bedclothes pulled up tightly around her. He didn't want to wake her, but the sun had been up for several hours already and he thought that it would best for them to get an early start back to the city. Folken was sure that her parents were probably frantic by now and he still had to get back into the sorcerer's tower. Easier said then done, I'm afraid. I'm sure they know I'm gone by now.

With a sigh, he gently sat down next to Jindra and whispered her name. He waited a few moments and then softly called her again. He was rewarded when she shifted a bit, but she didn't awaken. "Jin . . . c'mon love, it's time to get up." Nothing -- Folken shook his head. She rolls around the bed like a rock all night and she sleeps like one too.

With a devilish smile, Folken pulled the bed coverings down so that her shoulders and bare back were exposed. He watched the goose bumps that formed on her warm skin as the chilly air hit it. The fire had died out some time in the night and the interior of the lodge, while not completely uncomfortable, was still a little cool. Reaching out, he gently brushed the fingertips of his left hand across her back. His touch was very soft - almost fleeting - and he watched the small shiver that played across her back as she slept on. Gently applying his fingers once more, he lingered a little longer on her skin and then ran his index finger down her spine. Jindra twitched her shoulders and let out a small sound. Folken made a face and shook his head. What does it take to get this girl out of bed?

For a third time, he lightly caressed her, but this time he planted a trail of kisses on her back. Jindra let out a sigh and tried to pull the covers back up, but Folken caught them him his fist. She turned over and pulled at the linens, opening her eyes as she did so. Letting go of the bedclothes, Folken smiled at her. "Well, good morning sleepy head. So glad you decided to finally wake up and join me." He gave her a quick kiss on the forehead.

She groaned in response, "Huh . . . wha . . .? Gods Folken, do you get up at the crack of dawn everyday?" Pulling the covers back up, Jindra snuggled back into their warmth. "Brrrrr, it's cold in here."

"Are you always so grouchy in the morning?" Folken's voice was playful, but she gave him a poisonous look. Nonplussed, he continued on. "And for your information, it is quite past the crack of dawn. The sun's been up for at least two or three hours already."

"Oh," she yawned and stretched a bit. Snuggling back into the covers once again, she turned a little on her side to face him. "How long have you been awake?"

"No long, probably about an hour or so." Folken reached down near his feet and brought up a mug. "I managed to make some tea. It's not particularly good, but it is hot."

Jindra sat up and tucked the covers under her arms. She took the mug and sipped, "Not too bad . . . a little on the strong side, but I can certainly live with that." She smiled at him and took another sip. "I don't suppose you have some toast and jam stashed down there too?"

Folken laughed, "I wish - my stomach's been rumbling all morning. Sorry my lady, but tea will have to suffice for now."

"I'm so hungry I'm tempted to dig out what was left of yesterday's lunch."

"Too late, I already tried that." Folken grimaced, "Let's just say that it was not a pretty sight."

He rose and reached for his boots. Sitting back down on the edge of the bed, he put them on. "I thought I'd go out and check on the horses." He stood and slipped on his coat. "There's some hot water here if you want to wash up a bit." He indicated the wooden chair where he had retrieved his boots. Bending down, he kissed her on the top of her head, "I'll be back in a little while." Turning he went down the stairs and after a few minutes, she heard the front door loudly close.

Jindra downed the rest of her tea and stretched back on the pillow. I wonder if he'll bring me tea in bed every morning once we're married. She giggled at the thought. C'mon girl, time to stop mooning like a love-sick puppy - you don't have all day to loll around in bed. Pushing back the covers, she shivered as the cool air hit her.

As promised, a wooden tub with steam rising from it was sitting on the floor; and folded on the chair seat was a drying cloth and a wash rag, which was still damp. Jindra also discovered that Folken had draped her clothing over the back of the chair, with her boots and black bag sitting on the floor next to it. With a smile at his thoughtfulness, she bent down and trailed her fingers in the water. She was disappointed to find that it wasn't as hot as she had hoped, but it would do for a quick rinse off.

Jindra was dressed and had the drying cloth wrapped around her damp hair as she started to make up the bed. As she stripped off the linens, several white feathers drifted to the floor. They're Folken's . . . from his wings. Gathering the feathers up into a small pile, she ran her fingers over them. They're so soft . . . this one is as big as my hand . . . and they glow like pearls. Without a second thought, she took the small bundle and stowed it away in her leather satchel and continued making up the bed. Finished, she emptied out the tub of now cold water, took the empty mugs and went downstairs. Leaving the mugs on the counter in the kitchen, she gathered up the blankets that she had removed from the wardrobe the night before, refolded them and took them back up to the loft.

She was sitting on the edge of the bed unwinding the drying cloth from her hair when she heard the front door open. "Jin?" Folken's voiced called out.

"I'm upstairs."

Folken quickly came up and joined her. He found her trying to run her fingers through her tangled, damp hair. She made a face as she found a particularly nasty snarl. "What I wouldn't give for a comb, or even a brush right now. Rinsing out my hair seemed like a good idea at the time." She looked at him, "This is entirely your fault you know - if my hair were shorter it would be like this. I swear I'm getting it all cut off when I get home."

Folken sat down next to her, "Here, let me." Pushing her hands away, he used the talon-like fingers of his metal hand to gently comb through her hair. Jindra sighed and closed her eyes. When he was finished, Folken pushed her hair away and kissed her neck.

"How were the horses?"

"Huh?"

"The horses - you know those four-legged animals that we were riding yesterday?"

"Very funny . . . they seemed alright, but they don't look too happy. But then again, I wouldn't either if I were them - having to stand out in a shed all night with a storm; and to top it off, they don't even get breakfast." Folken put his arms around her waist and she leaned back against his chest.

"We can stop and let them graze a little on the way back. We might even be able to stop at one of those farms we saw and buy something to eat. I've got a little money in my bag."

Folken rested his chin on her shoulder, "I wish we could stay here."

Jindra sighed, "Me too . . . I don't want to be apart from you, but I know that you have to get back to the tower before you get in real trouble and I definitely need to get home." Pulling out of his embrace, she turned towards him. "But we'll be together soon and we won't have to worry about anyone."

He touched her face, "I hope so." Dropping his hand, he looked down for a few moments. Raising his eyes back up to her face, he reached for her hands. "I-I wish that I had a proper betrothal gift to give you. But I wasn't planning on proposing to you yet."

Jindra looked puzzled, "Betrothal gift?"

"It's a Fanelian custom. When a proposal is accepted, the couple will exchange gifts with one another - as a token of their affections and to seal the agreement. It's usually a piece of jewelry or something else personal."

"We don't have anything like that here - although it is customary to get the consent of the girl's parents, even if she is of age." Jindra dropped her eyes, "But I won't ask you to do that Folken . . . I already know what the answer will be."

He looked at her sadly, "It's not your fault, Jin. I wish that things could be different too; but your mother doesn't necessarily hate me, she hates what I represent. I don't hold her prejudices against her - gods know that the sorcerer's deserve their reputation."

"But it's not fair to you," Jindra looked up at him. "You're not like them Folken, you won't ever be like them." He put his arms around her and pulled her closer, "No I won't; and it will be because of you Miss Jindra Roh . . . because of your love and belief in me." He kissed her forehead.

The two of them sat for a while, quietly holding one another. It was Jindra who finally broke the embrace, "It's getting late, and we should probably finish cleaning up and get going." Folken stood and held out his hand to her; smiling, she took it and allowed him to pull her up. She smoothed out the bedcover one last time. After a quick look around, she picked up her leather satchel and followed Folken downstairs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------

The young couple quickly had the downstairs straightened up and Jindra was giving the kitchen area one last going over when Folken joined her. "Looks like we're about done; I'll go bring the horses around."

"I'll meet you outside in a few minutes." Folken nodded in return and left

Picking up her black satchel, Jindra pulled out a pencil and her sketching pad. Tearing out a piece of paper, she leaned on the small counter and started writing. She read the over the note several times before she was satisfied with it. Reaching into her bag once more, she brought out her coin purse and counted out several coins. She folded them up in the note and took it out to the front room where she left it on a side table.

Taking one last look around, Jindra let her gaze wander around the lodge; she wanted to remember everything about this place. It was once a place of happy memories from her childhood and last night it had become a place of refuge from the storm. But more than that, it had also become a place of revelations, of acceptance, of love shared, and most importantly, a place of hope - hope for a future with Folken as his wife.

She didn't realize how long she had been standing there until Folken opened the door and called her. "Jin? Are you ready? I've been waiting . . ." She settled her satchel on her shoulder and turned towards him, "Yes . . . just taking a last look around."

As Folken held the door open for her, and without a backward glance, Jindra Roh stepped out into the late morning sunshine.