Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Bad Dreams ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Bad Dreams
By angelwings1
 
Chapter 3
 
Since their morning in the temple, Van and Hitomi had begun to regularly see each other. With her nightmares growing, she knew hard times were closing in. She couldn't be sure what it was that was coming, but it would give her little time left to help the king. Because of the king's busy schedule, their lessons started near the late afternoon, right before dusk. Hitomi always made sure to give him the freedom to include anyone in their time spent together. She knew what it would appear to the council otherwise, and she, personally, did not want to deal with anymore of their glares than necessary. However, Van preferred to keep their lessons private. He was hardly one to bear his soul to anyone. If he had to do this, then he would do it alone.
The lessons were hard from the start as Hitomi had warned the young king. There was no way to make the work painless. To heal the pain in his heart she needed to teach him to look at the past he had been ignoring for so long.
It had first been about his present work being a king. She asked him how his days were or what it was like to learn about court edict, but it soon turned ugly as she began to ask the questions no one had ever dared to ask him.
"Are you tired of being a king?"
"Do you wish you had died instead of your parents?"
He instantly fought with her. He would answer with one word or excuse himself from the conversation completely, but she was always quick to corner him.
"I can steal your dreams for only so long, my lord. When you begin to regularly sleep without dreams and wake up before the sun it is a bad sign."
He flinched at her words. It had been a week since his last nightmare and he was already use to getting up before sunrise. Was it possible that he had already fallen to the trap?
"What does it mean?"
Hitomi rubbed her arm involuntarily, “It is usually a sign that you've learn to ignore the pain. You're able to hide it so well that even you have become unaware of it, but in truth it is still there draining you.”
“What will happen next?” he asked thickly.
Her face quickly hid behind her bangs, "You will grow painfully ill and slowly waste away."
He swallowed hard, "You've seen this?”
"Yes" she strained to say, dodging his eyes, "More than once."
His bones seem to weaken at her soft admission.
“Has anyone survived this curse?” he asked a bit quickly.
“Very few” she mumbled, head still bowed, “Those who did survive were ones who had great discipline, like warriors and monks.”
It was frightening to hear her words. He was barely a man by age and even though he was an excellent fighter, he still doubted his strength. He was a man of action and physical labor. When it came to meditation, he had found his mind lacking; partly why he kept to the seer when time was available.
She was, undoubtedly, one of the wisest women of his generation. Perhaps, they had barely conversed, but it was the way she carried herself that hinted at it. She was confident, kind, and surprisingly content. Whenever there was a problem she didn't reveal a sign of panic. She would calmly evaluate each situation and take it on with firm determination. There was a small air of sadness hanging over like a dark cloud, but he marked it as being homesick.
She was always quiet, distant. The more time he spent with her, the more he wanted to see her smile. Since she rarely smiled, he assumed it was a great treasure meant for only the most precious of moments. His memory of the time in the throne, the only instant he had seen her smile, was quickly slipping from his fingers. He didn't want to think of her as a prisoner in his home.
“Why did you ask me all those questions about my dreams?” he asked on one of the first days they were spending together. It was sunny outside and they had been sitting next to the brook in his backyard.
Hitomi dealt out another round of cards in a cross pattern. Taking a brief moment to observe the new faces, the seer replied. “I saw the images each time I stole your dreams, but I wasn't sure what I was seeing. I assume most of it, but I needed to make sure everything was what I thought it was. Dreams can be misleading because they can be memories and imagination rolled together.”
He stared at her profile, a fire in his eyes, "You researched me, didn't you?"
"A little" she answered honestly. Her focus didn't leave her cards as she replied calmly, "I have to know my patient to understand how to help him."
"How much?" the king mumbled coldly.
The woman's hand stopped over her deck. Looking up with sad eyes, the seer whispered, "I know you wish for people not to know your weak emotions, my lord, but you cannot hide forever. This is why your nightmares have gotten so bad."
His eyes didn't loose their hard edge, but his tone softened. "I've told you before I cannot allow my people to see my… pain."
Hitomi nodded, placing another card down. "I know, but you have to open to someone, anyone."
He whirled on her, unable to hold back his childish fury.
“I've told you about my family's murder” he snapped, “Isn't that enough?'
She sighed and thought back to how easily she had learned about the murder, “Sadly not when everyone else knows it.”
Frustrated, He looked away. Hitomi studied him, “You have to dig deeper. It's apparent you can't get through this pain on your own, else I wouldn't have been called upon.”
His hands curled into fists, clenching at the blowing grass. Her eyes watched his knuckled turn white as her heart cracked.
“I'm not challenging you're strength as a king” she coaxed, “In all honesty, I think you're amazing for being so young and inexperience. There are few who could do what you have.”
He blinked in astonishment and slowly brought his face back up. Unaware of his surprise, the seer had returned to her cards. No one had ever given him such a compliment. Not even Merle. She had called him a good king, yes, but never one as great as the seer had just claimed. Counselors and citizens had always offered advice and demands, hardly encouragement. It was refreshing to hear. Van narrowed his sight on her, automatically uneasy. Was this woman just looking for favor in his eyes?
“You are so eager to prove yourself to everyone” she continued, “but unless you accept your limits, you will die to your own criticism.”
Van mulled her words carefully in his head. “How?”
Shuffling a new round, Hitomi answered, “Confess to someone your worries.”
She didn't get it.
"I can never do that" he remarked frantically.
Hitomi felt the weight in her heart press tighter against her lungs. It was still a mystery to her as to why he was so determine to bear this weight alone. Sooner or later a person breaks from such a strain, but he remained surprisingly firm.
"How about Lord Balgus? Or Lady Merle?” she asked. “You seemed to be closest to them.”
He shook his head. “I've tried to tell Merle before, but she too set on the fact that I can do anything. I'm her last tie to family and with it I've become her foundation. She terribly frightened on her own. She might appear confident, but I think that's only because she close to me, a man who can rule a country.
“If she discovered I was weak, she would become terrified I would leave her. It's already hard for her when I'm gone away on battles or diplomatic crusades.”
Hitomi scowled, `No wonder she clings to him. He's not only her brother and father, he's her leader. If she can't believe in him, there's no one to turn to.'
“Balgus is like a second father to me” Van continued, “I've talked to him about things, but… I guess I'm afraid to disappoint him. Whenever I mention about wanting to live a commoner's life, he becomes stern with me. When I do that, I feel as if I've let him down.”
Hitomi nodded, thinking back to her home in the valley. “I understand.”
She smiled. “This is good. See you're already opening up a little and you barely know me.”
“But you're asking the right questions” he shrugged, “I don't really think this is what will help me.”
She pouted, “Maybe not, but it's better than nothing.”
He hung his head, fighting with his pride.
"I became a seer when I was eleven," her gentle voice instantly melted the burning ache in his heart. Hitomi looked out across the brook, watching the gardeners work the flower beds. Her dull eyes were barely aware of their movements. Instead she was watching an invisible, faraway scene.
"It's not a job you can sign up for" she explained. "In the valley, children are destined just like a king. We don't have much of a say once the elders come and declare our gift. From that day, we train our gifts, spending countless hours burning every ounce of energy into a fate we don't understand."
She could remember the moment her eyes had first connected with an elder. It was time she had come to know fear. She had barely been four, but she knew they were the ones to decide if a child was taken away. More than once she had been a witness to a child being ripped from their front doors and their parents' cold indifference. She had been terrified she would one day wake up to a new power and be taken from her home. She didn't care what it meant to have a power; she didn't want to leave her home.
The morning she saw a dream become reality was the most terrifying moment in her childhood. As she watched her brother fall from the tree in their backyard, she had instantly recalled the dream. The cold truth was too much and she fainted on the spot.
She had been able to hide her gift for nearly a year, but soon her power had manifested. Soon she was having waking dreams. There was no way to stop the trances and before long she got caught by her family. It was easy to excuse it as a lack of attention or being too distracted, but the day she screamed and fainted after one of her vision there was no lie to save her.
Days later the elders came for her.
"You're like me" Van hollowly stated.
Hitomi nodded, "We were both born into great responsibilities. Both of us would gladly give up on our birth rights, but we care about the people around us."
"Surely you could give up being a seer" Van pushed gently, sensing how delicate the subject was with her.
"Perhaps" Hitomi admitted softly, "But why would God give me this if not to help others. Wouldn't it be wrong of me to give up on something so special?"
Her eyes darted to him and Van could see the same desperation in her eyes he held in his heart. Suddenly, the young king who had spent five years alone could see someone who knew his struggle. This was someone who knew the daily price of fighting to live. He had lost all hope of ever meeting someone who could understand; especially help him through his trials. Merle and Balgus had tried to help as they best as they could, but he always resented their assistance. They didn't bear such a heavy weight.
"Confide in me, Lord Fanel" the woman commanded. He snapped his face to her, unaware of how close they were to each other. Her hand grabbed his and he willingly let her. Their eyes locked for that short breath and he could sense a bond growing between them.
No matter how hard he tried to push her away, she kept clawing back to him. She would slowly grow closer to him, breaking down each layer covering his heart. He knew it was her job to this, but he was slowly becoming more and more aware how her presence was comforting some faint ache in him.
Hitomi instantly blushed under his gaze, "I know I don't know you very well and you can deny me if you want.”
He stared at her, unsure. Even though they had grown closer than normal acquaintances, he still wasn't ready to give up on anymore wall between her and him. There was so much that could happen if he gave into her. She would leave, too, in the end. No one stayed longed enough. He had to be strong enough on his own feet else everyone who depended on him would drop. His crown demanded it.
She could the clash in his eyes. Maybe begging wasn't the best way to convince such a proud man. `Lord, help me.'
In the end his mind made a split decision, and the king rose to his feet.
“It's not that I don't appreciate you coming here, Lady Kazanki” he stated with a suddenly strong voice, “But I feel as if you are taking this a bit far.”
Heart wilting, Hitomi frowned, “I believe I know what I'm talking about, my lord.”
“Even so, I think this is unnecessary to continue” he replied. As he tried to walk away, Hitomi hastily rose.
“Are you so quick to forget the last two months of nightmares?” she shouted.
He stopped. The images came rapidly to his memory. Every ounce of torture they had thrown at his face, however, was suddenly empty from his heart. He felt a deep relief in himself to be able to handle the images. Proud of his accomplishment, he easily pushed the nightmares back behind the door.
“Just because you have a few free nights, doesn't mean anything!” she yelled, hands fisted. “Don't let your advisors poison you. Don't stand on your feet and try to believe that it doesn't bother you, but it does!”
He flinched, emotions instantly squeezing the life from him. The images returned, this time with rapid flash of pain and sorrow throughout his being.
“Stop blaming yourself for their deaths!”
“NO!” he snapped.
Hitomi's mouth clamped shut the second his glare whirled on her. Her body shuddered in fear as she saw the fury burning there. His hands twitched anxiously at his sides and his chest heaved with exertion as if he had just been running. Angrily, he stabbed a tan finger at her, “Don't presume to understand me so perfectly, madam.”
Hitomi's eyes dropped momentarily, ashamed, but quickly gained back their courage. Her chin lifted proudly. “I think I, at least, know you better than anyone here.”
“Just because you know what its like to be born without the option of living the way you want, doesn't mean you can come preach to me about dealing with pain!” he growled softly.
When most men would have fainted under such a glare, she remained confident. She wanted to run away, but knew she couldn't. He probably never had anyone in his life stand up to him and there was probably no one in the entire city that would. He was a king, after all, but he was not her king. She would not let him escape under his mask. “Someone has to tell you.”
The steam built up in him and Van, unable to think of anything else to say, stormed away. Hitomi decided to let him go. There was nothing left to say. It was his decision in the end to continue with their lessons. Watching him strode rapidly towards the castle, the seer hope she would be able to somehow convince him later to consent with furthering his lessons.
Several of the servants noticed their king's anger and quickly looked to her with disapproving glares. She ignored them and allowed a deep sigh of relief. It was scary to go against a man who could easily call for her execution.
Sighing, she looked towards the silent temple out on the furthest end of the field. She was tempted to take a visit. She was a bit shaken and could definitely use the meditation to calm her nerves. Unfortunately, she had promised Merle to see the market today. The cat-girl must have thought she was growing bored.
Grudgingly, the seer picked up her cards and followed the path the king had previously taken. Keeping her face emotionless and high, Hitomi passed the servants and ignored their dagger-throwing-glares.
Having a sixth sense about trouble going on in the castle, Merle surprisingly found her in a few short minutes of entering the main hall. The cat-girl began pleading about the king's foul mood, explaining she had ran into seconds before and had been rudely brushed off by her brother.
Hitomi quickly ducked her eyes away, a tiny spark of guilt squeezing her chest. Maybe she was a little hard on him. It had only been a second week since they had began to work together, but on the other hand, the man had been stubborn for days.
"You still wanted to go to the market, right?" she replied smoothly, hurrying towards the front exit. "You said something about a new robe?"
The cat's eyes grew huge in excitement, "Yes! Yes! Fanelia and several countries will be discussing a peace treaty. By the end of the week, there will be quite a few noblemen staying in the castle and we can't have you in rags."
"My clothes just need good scrubbing and some thread, Merle" Hitomi replied hotly. "There aren't that bad."
"Yea for travel clothes" Merle growled, "I will not have you looking like some hand maiden."
Grabbing her wrist, the cat began dragging the girl towards the door. Hitomi struggled desperately for freedom, as a vision of her in a frilly dress came to mind.
"Merle, I am a servant!" she cried hastily.
"You're a guest" the cat insisted, her tail twitching, "I refuse to have those nobles snub their noses to you just because of your origin."
Hitomi's anger quickly subsided, "Well, if you have to get me something to wear, please, no dress."
Merle's tail twitched as she glowered at the girl, "It would be far easier to get their approval if you wore one."
"There approval doesn't matter to me" Hitomi replied quickly, "If I have to be in their presence I will honor my people with traditional robes."
The cat's shoulders dropped, "Alright, but we will do this in the fabric I choose."
The seer smiled, "Okay."
 
[88888]
 
Van fell hunched over the nearest table pressed against the hallway's stone wall. He shuddered as the angry slid down his spine and dropped heavily into his empty stomach. He was still trying to catch up with what had transpired out in the garden. How could he have so foolishly lashed out at her?
She had scared him. He knew that was the source of his sudden outburst. When she had leaned towards him and offered the chance to give in, it had frightened him like no nightmare he had encountered.
He clutched at his head in distress. He wasn't even sure why it had scared him so badly. He had just felt the overwhelming instinct to run as fast as could. The only way he had been able to escape was to strike down her assumption, ignoring how right she was.
"I'm a fool," he whispered angrily. He would have to apologize later to her.
He cringed at the thought. To apologize to her would mean accepting what she had said. He shook his head violently. It didn't matter if he had to or not, he had to apologize.
"Lord Van, are you alright?"
The young king slowly lifted from his crouched position, realizing instantly how it must have looked. He forced a smile as he turned to face his general, "I'm fine, Balgus. It's been a bit of a rough day."
The old samurai frowned at his king and narrowed his one good eye on him. With everything that had happen it wasn't surprising he didn't believe his majesty. "You're certain?"
"Yes. Yes," Van growled quickly, "Please, Balgus I don't need another person worrying about me today. Did you need me for something?"
The general stood a little straighter at the irritated tone in his king's voice. He might have raised his king since the royal family's murder and had the right to disapprove of his tone, but to Balgus he was still a general beneath his king. It was a difficult balance, constantly needing new appraisals. For now, he would let the sharp tone be ignored in exchange for the fact his king had been under a great deal of stress.
"The council wishes to discuss with you matters of the treaty, Lord Van?" he replied, his loud voice booming through the hall.
Van nodded, thinking to the far region to the northwest. There were several nations coming to the meeting to sign the treaty, but there was a single, dark realm he wished would not be part of it, even if it did mean possibility of war without their signature.
"Let's head towards the meeting hall then," Van answered faintly, his mind elsewhere. General Balgus bowed to his king and fell in step beside him. Together the two headed down the long corridor, content to be silent.
 
 
[888888]
 
 
The walk down the slopping path into the village was relatively peaceful. Merle would point out specific stores she favored, spending most of the time talking about her favorites. If it wasn't for Hitomi's insistence the cat might have bought out the shops for her. She was amazed at how important it was to the noble to show her off. Merle's dedication to her got Hitomi thinking of her friends back in the valley and a stab of loneliness flared in her chest. She wondered what Yukari and Amano would think of such a large city.
The valley was full of villages, huts of stone and mud, but there weren't bricked streets that connected the towns. Warriors weren't clothed in uniform or armor, except when going into battle. Fanelia was beautifully organized while her valley had been more rural. Here, people were enjoying their lives, but there was professionalism to the city that kept her in awe. She was amazed by the number of carts loading and unloading merchandise and food. Open fields and cliffs had been her playground, but a city so diverse and full was alien to her senses.
The biggest focus was the machines. Whenever her eyes caught the glimpse of the giants called guymelefs, Hitomi would stop to admire them. There were children stories in the valley about metal warriors roaming the outside world. She had always enjoyed those stories, believing that if a man could become great his body would become as formidable as steel and as powerful as fire.
Sadly, she was disappointed to never see the giants do much more than walk by. She was thirsty to see them battle. Surely, the sight was wondrous.
"We will have to also get you a new pair of sandals for the occasion."
Hitomi snapped her attention back to Merle, realizing her thoughts had wandered.
"But I have several pairs already" she said.
The feline nodded, eyeing a nearby booth, "Yes, but we need a fresh pair that will accent your outfit."
Hitomi was just about to insist on using one of her pairs from the castle, when Merle grinned excitedly and shot towards a merchant, "Wait here."
She never got a chance to argue as the seer wearily watched the noble disappear into the tiny brick shop. Hitomi sighed loudly, "This might prove to be a hard lesson in patience."
 
 
[8888888888]
 
Van rubbed his brow as his irritation rose with each new argument the council spoke. The meeting was suppose to be an overview, but instead it had turned into a list of benefits and disadvantageous to acquire from the treaty.
Darrius was concerned about loosing the cheap cotton trade with the Bosron. Torus and Horrius were arguing over the price for the Juganton's iron. A half of his council was discussing the need to up the army's training incase the treaty should turn sour. Even with all the shouting and angry faces, there was single country everyone was tiptoeing around.
Van knew why they were avoiding the issue of Zaibach. It was shamefully obvious that they were afraid to upset him. Their blunt avoidance of it, however, was making him furious. He didn't care if the relationship to the dark kingdom and his family's murder had pushed him into this sickness; Zaibach was the one country they had to be most concerned about because of that history! He would not let their fear ruin their now restored kingdom.
Pounding both fists onto the table, Van forced an immediate halt to the council's heated discussion and sparked interest in his generals' eyes. Together the full table rose with the young king, watching attentively as he closed his eyes and exhaled deeply.
He was not in the mood for this kind of torment. They had been over the outline of the treaty already a dozen times and hadn't gotten closer to speaking about Zaibach then the day they had started. Why the council had decided to have another pointless meeting was beyond his temper would allow.
"I believe that is enough for today gentlemen," Van grated out as he shoved several papers from his reach. "I have more matters to see to today and I will not be held up if we are going to discuss the same things we have discussed for the last week."
No one dared to speak against the king. Their eyes gave away that they knew why he was so viciously angry. Van slowly glared at the circle of men and carefully kept his voice calm as he said, "Tomorrow we will discuss the matters of Zaibach that we have all so childishly overlooked. Until I feel we have resolved the issue of an old enemy joining our allegiance, I will not speak of any matter while in council."
A few nodded hesitantly while others glanced around. Van ignored them all. He was a king who decision overthrew any opinion of his advisors. Heatedly, he snapped, "Now I suggest you each form a thorough report of what is to be expected from Zaibach for tomorrow. If I feel any of you is lacking in your efforts you will see I have proven to be a most effective motivator."
One of two of the advisors gulped nervously. Lord Van had not been a successful king just because of his charm. It was the foreboding fear of his temper that kept his people on their toes.
"Yes, my lord."
Van's dark scowl quickly turned to his four generals, "I believe the next agenda was to see to the perimeter for the upcoming arrivals of our guests. Wasn't it, Balgus?"
The samurai nodded with a slight bow, "Yes, Lord Van. We have already started moving the guymelefs into position and if it would please you we can go to the outer market to overlook their progress."
 
[888888888]
 
Glancing around, Hitomi decided it wouldn't be bad thing to browse while she waiting for Merle to return. Maybe if she was luckily she could find a cheap trinket to bring Amano. She had already decided to give Yukari some of her sandals, and she doubted Amano would fit in them.
Smiling, Hitomi leisurely began down into the market place, eyeing the booths and windows with eager eyes. Among the food carts, there was a great deal of fine jewelry, something Fanelia was known for. For once in a very long time, Hitomi wished she had some extra money. The craftsmanship of the silver was so delicately exquisite that she wished she could take one small piece to bring back and show to the village.
One piece in particular caught her gaze as she passed: a ring shaped in a pair wings. Her hand unconsciously went to it and held it up to the sky, dazzled by how the light glinted off the flowing curves. Unknown to her, an innocent smile overtook her face. Turning to the owner of the booth, a large bulky man who was a full head taller than her, Hitomi grinned and asked, "How much?"
The man scowled down at her, "I think it's too high for you."
She blinked, confused, "But how much is it exactly?"
His eyes darkened, "I said it's too high for you."
She was about to asked a third time when her brain caught up with the heavy tone he had pressed into the last word. There was distinct distaste in his eyes, directed pointedly at her. The seer gently put the ring back on the table next to the other items, and calmly excused herself, "Good day."
Turning back towards the shop Merle was in, Hitomi hastily made for a retreat. She was well aware of the number of eyes on her now. Cursing under her breath for being so foolish, Hitomi prayed she would find Merle soon.
Unfortunately, to her fluttering heart's dismay, a pair of men suddenly stepped into her path. There were both quite taller than her and were stock, appearing to be farmers. Hitomi's first reaction was to duck her eyes and try to step around them, but one of them hurried to block her way. It wasn't hard to notice the townspeople slowing down, turning to her. She could hear feet closing in and she hurried to try again to pass.
"Where you going, witch?" one of the men growled, his tone heavy with danger.
Hitomi's fingers anxiously dug into her robes. Normally she would have lashed out for being called a foul name, but she was frightfully conscious of the crowd forming around them.
"Please, let me pass" she requested firmly, eyes looking at their muddy boots.
"What business do you have here?" the other hissed.
Even with her heart thundering the warning in her ears, Hitomi angrily brought her gaze to the two angry faces before her and stated, "That is not your responsibility to know."
"I think it is" the first rumbled, stepping towards her threateningly. Hitomi hastily stepped back, but she kept her eyes leveled. Warily, she watched him study her as he began to walk in a circle, "You're a mystic, right?"
She didn't answer, feeling it was obvious with her tattoos, as she darted a glance towards the spectators. The people were keeping to the edge of the street, but it appeared they were eager to help cage her. Hitomi looked towards the shop, praying Merle would appear. The cat-girl was a noble by right and could easily call these people off.
"Answer girl!" the man thundered, making her flinch.
His monstrous hand yanked painfully on her forearm and she was brought nose to nose to him. Her eyes were wide with surprise. She hadn't expected him to be so quick to anger. No one had ever dared to touch her in all the times she had been confronted. Now all the confidence she had had seconds before had evaporated as she stared deep into bottomless pits of fury.
"You're one of them!" he howled. His voice had to have reached to the mountains.
Frantically trying to shake off his grip, Hitomi squeaked, "Let me go!"
"You're the Devil's child!"
Hitomi's eyes squeezed shut as the words tore through her. 'They're only words. Words can't hurt you!'
He threw his weight against her and she tumbled to the stony ground. Her elbows struck hardest, and she prayed she didn't break under the blow of rock and bone meeting. Her dull eyes studied the dust between the bricks, her mind unconsciously thinking of countless other confrontations.
'Only people can hurt you.'
People were a foolish bunch. It only took a few words to drive a crowd into such violent hatred or desperate fear, yet she knew no words that could save her from it.
Suddenly, she was aware of how scared she really was. She had endured outcries in crowds before, but she had never been physically assaulted.
'You can't go to Fanelia.'
That's what her village had angrily shouted.
'You would turn your back on all your beliefs?'
They couldn't accept that after five centuries of solitude, a mystic had chosen to venture from the valley. The last one to do so had never returned. It was believed to be blasphemy to leave the paradise their god had created for them.
'If you go, then be prepared to never know your birthplace again.'
She couldn't accept that God would give them something so rare to keep to themselves. 'They need help. Will you say that giving our hand is sin?'
'Their king suffers for reason. God does this.'
She had been so furious with her town the day she had left. They had been terrified of the outside so they allowed excuses to make their decision. That same fear had now condemned her as an orphan.
How could they know it was God's will for the king to die? Couldn't it be God's desire to help the king?
Slowly the seer picked herself off the ground. She could hear the mutterings as she rose. The two men watched her with doubt.
She dusted the dirt from her robes, ignoring the pain in her arms. Silently, she began discussing how she would have to thoroughly scrub her clothes to get all the stains out. Looking up from the dirt spots, she stared at the men fearfully. 'Why did I come here? To prove a point?'
She saw the punch coming, and she knew she could have easily ducked, but her body stayed frozen. She never cried out when the blow struck. She didn't want to give the men the satisfaction of hearing the pain they were inflicting. Again she collapsed to the ground, and she was tempted to stay there. It would be so easy just to lay there and pretend she couldn't stand. Maybe they would leave her alone if they thought she was truly hurt. After a few minutes, however, she pushed to her feet.
It was becoming harder to see. Everything was blurring in her right eye, possibly from the pain in that side of her face. Vainly she tried to shake away the dizziness, but it instead caused her to stagger.
The two men edged closer and quickly got on both sides of her, trying to throw her off. It was hardly necessary. There was no way out of this. There were too many people and no hero in sight.
Head throbbing, she leveled her eyes back on the man who had first confronted her and found his angry brown eyes. She wanted the man to hurt for the pain that racked her. In a darker part of her heart, she could see her copy run him through and pound her fists against him until he screamed. A part of her was thrill at the thought, but her better half cringed with disgust. She had never been a fighter.
Spitting blood on the ground, she turned to the larger man of the two.
"Hit me if you want" she mumbled weakly.
His eyes widened along with his friend.
She almost thought he wouldn't try again. Perhaps in some perfect world, the man might have seen his wrong and begged for forgiveness. She could have forgiven if he had. Sadly, this was reality.
In seconds, a sinful fury took his heart and his fists flew for her. It struck her under the same eye and set off an explosion in her head. Another got her just below the ribs and she doubled over. The air disappeared in her lungs and she could feel needles in her throat. Next, what she assumed was a knee, plowed into her face. Flying backwards, the blue sky sprung to her view, and momentarily she believed she had shot towards Heaven. The only way that she was positive she was still alive was the faint feeling of her back hitting the ground. Rolling to her side, she feebly went to rise on her knees, only to be stopped by a kick in her back. Another powerful foot hit her shoulder from the opposite side, slapping her onto her spine.
Every part of her body felt like it was exploding. Her eyes fluttered and she saw at the end of a dark tunnel one of the man's hands at his side. There were red flecks over the knuckles, most likely her blood.
How far were they going to go? Maybe they didn't even know.
The world tilted and she realized she was being pulled up by her hair. She coughed and tasted metallic. Red sprayed on the man's light shirt as she sputtered. The crowd was cheering, but it was a faint ringing in her ears.
Her heart sank. They were cheering. These two men had challenged her. They were the ones who had been violent. She had done nothing to provoke them. She had barely used a tone with them, yet, the people cheered as they beat her. Beyond the man she could see even soldiers lifting fists in approval.
Was it only in children's stories that knights saved the damsel in distress?
Her answer came in a flurry of punches to her stomach. In the overwhelming wave of pain, Hitomi realized the other man was the one holding her hair. Vainly, she tried to will her mind into some deep crevice, but as she curled her mind into the darkness the pain and cheering followed her there.
She couldn't understand exactly what had brought this fury in these people to hate her. Didn't they see she wasn't trying to stop them?