Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Dillandau's Fate ❯ Dillandau's Fate ( Prologue )

[ A - All Readers ]

Dillandau's Mockery

By Jean Bess
April, 22, 2002


A little girl rocks back and forth in a dark corner hugging her knees and starring into space:

beautiful blonde, vacant eyes, with bruises smudged on her angelic face.

She hums two notes, high and low, not a tune for it holds no hope or grace.

But it is her expression, her art of her suffering a deprived self-embrace.

Imprisoned, terrified, boxed in, mollified, yet never granted her greatest wish.

All the while she is poked and prodded with a brutal invasiveness.

She screams, such a small shrill voice, a ringing tinny sound against greasy lab walls of the mad scientist.

She hisses and cries and grunts and dies as a monster sprouts forth from her dark consciousness.

"Dillandau Albatou is who you are now! And you're whole future now shall be!

"I am Dornkirk who made you and you now belong to me!"

The sorcerer squealed in happy delight, for his master was pleased with his labor.

He took the hand of his monster made and gave to it a saber.

"Kill now and enjoy the smell of running seeping blood!

"You belong to Dornkirk, but to me you are art and I wish to see the red flood!"

The sorcerer snickered and turned away forgetting all the while,

that deep inside the monster's source was the soul of a suffering child.

"Dillandau, how say you? Do you like to see the flame burn red?"

Dornkirk goaded and prompted his pig with the little girl trapped in the boar's head.

"Yes! Burn! Burn! Until my thirst is quenched and my hunger is fed!"

And thus the little girl withered away and was given up for dead.

"Forget, forget all that I have seen so far. I'll just sit here and wonder where you are.

I'll find a way to save the day, when I was just Selena the gentle and sweet.

I'll wait for you, my dear brother, and my rescue will be complete."

But then the high priest snickered and cast his spell and threw the little girl into hell.

She screamed and fainted and awoke as Dillandau, her strong and evil shell.

Carried by the claws of death and sorrow, his jubilant resurrection was a grim tomorrow.

He became she but yet she was still he and all sanity and reason fell.

Kindness, like a dull blade tearing into tender young flesh, met him on his up hill climb.

A lullaby soothed his rage and hate and replaced it was slumber and peace for a time.

Leaving behind the only smiles he could remember, he stumbled into a mocking fate.

Through trickery and deceit, he'd kill his beloved brother with an unnatural hate.

"Dillandau is who I am, and she is who I'll stay." Said he.

He waits for the day when she will fade away and set his evil free.