Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Dragon's Future ❯ The Plight of the Beast Men ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 10: The Plight of the Beast-men
Lady Deistor found Hitomi in her sitting room, brushing Bethany's hair.
“My lady!” Deistor exclaimed. “I cannot find Princess Yukari anywhere! I have looked all through the castle.” She wrung her hands worriedly. “Princess Bethany told me she went to the market this morning, and one of the samurai did remember her going out, but no one remembers her returning.”
“She's probably sulking somewhere in private, Deistor,” Hitomi said calmly. “You know how depressed she gets when Darvi's not around, and he's been gone for nearly a week.”
“I miss Darvi,” Bethany said.
“So do I, dear,” Hitomi replied. She slid a ribbon under Bethany's hair and tied it in a neat ponytail.
Deistor still looked worried. “I would feel better if I at least knew where she was. She is in my charge, after all.” She gave Hitomi a hopeful look. “Perhaps you could try to locate her?”
“I suppose.” Hitomi sighed as she lifted her pendant off over her head. It seemed a little silly, but if it would make Deistor feel better, there was no reason not to try. She held the pendant out in front of her, gave it a swing and closed her eyes. She pictured it swinging back and forth in her mind's eye. Suddenly, the image of the pendant swung sharply in one direction and her mind was flooded with a new vision. Hitomi recognized Yukari's shimmering wings, stained pink by the setting sun, as she flew high over open country. She dropped the pendant with a gasp.
“What is it, my lady?” Deistor clasped her hands together, concern showing on her plump face.
“She's gone after them!” Hitomi exclaimed. “She's following the samurai to Freid!”
Bethany grinned broadly and Hitomi stared at her, suddenly suspicious. “You knew she was planning this.”
“It was my idea,” Bethany admitted without a trace of guilt. “I helped. I took things she would need out of the castle for her, just a few things at a time, and hid them.”
Hitomi frowned to keep from bursting out laughing. “You are in a lot of trouble, young lady,” she said sternly.
Bethany tried to look contrite, but her lips kept twitching into a smile.
“But what will we do, my lady?” Deistor cried. “We must send Lord Van after her!”
Hitomi shook her head. “Not this time. Yukari's a grown woman and she has obviously been planning this for some time. It's time we let her deal with the consequences of her own impulsiveness.”
“But, my lady!”
“No. I will speak to Van, but I'm certain he will agree with me. Yukari is not defenseless. She can fend for herself.” Hitomi glared at Bethany. “This one, on the other hand…”
Bethany bit her lip. “She really wanted to go.” She held out the pendant Hitomi had dropped.
“I have no doubt of that,” Hitomi replied. She took the pendant and returned it to its place around her neck. “I'm sorry, Lady Deistor. When I asked Queen Millerna to send me one of her best ladies to act as Yukari's chaperone, I really did hope it would have an impact on Yukari's behavior. I admit, I have always been a little jealous of Millerna's sophistication and I hoped Yukari might learn some of that sophistication from you.” Hitomi sighed. “But it was probably too late by then. I suspect Van and I had already indulged Yukari far too much.” She patted Bethany on the head. “But there's still hope for this one. Why don't you take Beth to her lessons, Deistor, while I go speak to Van.”
“Very well, my lady.” Deistor curtsied slightly, but she still looked very unhappy. “Come along, your highness.” She held out a hand to Bethany.
Bethany climbed to her feet and took Deistor's hand. “Are you angry with me, Mother?”
Hitomi finally gave in to the smile that had been threatening to crop up since Bethany's confession. “No, dear, but I do plan to keep a closer eye on you from now on.”
Bethany grinned and accompanied Lady Deistor from the room.
Hitomi sat back with another long sigh. She should have known Yukari would go after Darvi. Those two might as well be tied together with a cord, as strong as the bond between them was. Oh, well. Van would be in the dojo at this hour, training with their two delightfully obedient sons. She may as well go tell him now, so he could get the outrage out of his system before dinner. Hitomi was certain he would agree with her decision, though. Sooner or later, Yukari really would have to learn to deal with the consequences of her own actions.
- - - - - - - -
Brevan listened to the noise of the crowd outside. A lot of people had come to hear him speak, more than had ever come before. He smiled to himself. His influence was spreading. Zatia stepped through the curtain closing off the little balcony in front. He'd chosen this inn because the small balconies overlooking the square outside were the perfect place to address a crowd. Zatia offered him a small bow.
“The square is filled, Master Ramone. Will you speak now?” She waited for his answer with an expectant smile.
Brevan smiled back. Zatia's husband had not been at all pleased by his wife's decision to accompany Brevan on his quest to bring enlightenment to the world. But from the moment he had touched her simple, honest mind, her eyes had glowed with spiritual fervor. Serving him had become her sole purpose and she had willing left her family and hard life behind. Being one of the inner faithful entitled her to share the comforts that Brevan enjoyed, as well as being the recipient of his special attention.
He rose to his feet. “Yes, I will speak now.” He stepped through the curtain onto the balcony. An excited cheer rose up and then quickly died away to an expectant hush.
“My children,” Brevan began, “we are faced with difficult times. Creatures walk among you masquerading as men, but they are not men. These creatures pretend to be your equals, your brothers, but in truth, they seek only to pull you down into the depths.” An angry murmur began to rise from the crowd. “But do not despair! Your faith will save you. Have faith in me, and I will guide you onto the true path, away from the depths.”
Brevan droned on. The words weren't really important. What mattered was to hold their attention and open their minds by appealing to their raw emotions. Then he could worm his way in and gain control over them. Working a crowd this size meant he couldn't gain complete control, but mobs tended to be self-reinforcing. He needed only to set them on the path. He worked them slowly into a frenzy and then unleashed them. It didn't matter to Brevan if people were killed in the resulting riot. In a way, these mobs meant little more to him than the beast-men he demonized. As long as they obeyed him, that was all that mattered.
He re-entered the inn. Zatia was waiting with a glass of wine to soothe his throat.
“That was a beautiful speech, Master Ramone,” she said. “Many new converts will join the faithful tonight.”
“Indeed,” he agreed as he sipped the sweet red whine. “However, you have made sure the guards are posted outside to protect us from the overzealous?”
“Yes, Master.”
“Good.” He put his arm around her. “Let us retire for a while and rest. Tomorrow it will be time to move on.”
She smiled as he led her to the bed. She knew rest was not on his mind.
- - - - - - - -
 
Yukari rode behind Darvi, holding onto his waist with both hands, although she could easily have kept her balance without touching him at all. But none of the samurai knew that. Darvi had been quite diligent in his duty as her minder; he never left her alone. Therefore, Yukari was perfectly content to obey him without question, even though he seemed like he was angry with her half the time. Had they been alone, she could have made up with him by now, but there were always other samurai about. The only time she was alone was when she was tending to her personal business, but then Darvi was not close enough for her to talk to him; although he remained near enough to ensure that no one else violated her privacy.
So, for the time being, she contented herself with his company, even when he was not being all that companionable.
They arrived in the city of Freid early in the afternoon on the third day after Yukari had joined the group. The citizens turned out to cheer them as they rode through. Yukari noted with dismay the large number of beast-men in the crowd, many looking ragged and half-starved. As they rode into the square in front of the castle, Yukari gasped with delight and clutched Darvi's shoulder.
“Look! It's Scheherazade!” she cried. “Allen's here!”
“It makes sense Duke Chid would ask for help from Asturia as well.”
They rode into a parade rest formation facing the steps leading up to the castle entrance as Chid and several of his advisors appeared, flanked by Allen Schezar and some of his men. Hama dismounted, climbed the steps and dropped to one knee in front of Chid with his left fist resting on the ground.
“King Van sends his greetings, my lord Duke, and offers you our services. I am Chief Assistant Samurai Hama.”
“You are a most welcome sight, Samurai Hama. Our situation has not improved.” Chid waved Hama to his feet. “I believe you are acquainted with Allen Schezar, Knight of Caeli of Asturia?”
“By reputation only.” He offered Allen his hand and Allen clasped it in a firm handshake. “I am honored to meet you, sir.”
Allen nodded past him toward the ranked soldiers. “While women samurai are not unheard of, am I mistaken in believing that is Princess Yukari?”
“You are not, sir.” Hama turned and frowned at Yukari. “Her highness took it upon herself to accompany us here.” He bowed slightly toward Chid. “If you will forgive me, Duke Chid, I would like to place her under your protection for the time being.”
Chid smiled. “I would be honored.” He held out his hand. “Princess Yukari, why don't you accompany us inside? Master Hama, I've had barracks prepared for your men.”
Yukari dismounted as Chid directed one of his advisors to show the samurai to the barracks. Allen grinned at her as she mounted the steps.
“I haven't seen you since you were this tall, Your Highness.” He held his hand midway up his chest. “How are your parents?”
“They are quite well, Allen, thank you.” She couldn't help staring at him. Age had not dimmed Allen's beauty at all. Already in his fifties, his long blond hair was only just starting to streak with gray. But his skin was as smooth and as firm as ever, and his eyes still sparkled with youthful fire.
He offered Yukari his arm. She blushed as she slipped her hand around his elbow. She looked back quickly to see if Darvi was watching. He was and he did not look happy. He looked away quickly when he saw Yukari looking at him. Yukari sighed. Now he had another reason to be angry with her.
“Princess Yukari,” Chid said, “Chief Assistant Samurai Hama has given me the impression that you did not receive your parents permission to accompany him.”
Yukari flushed. “Well, no, not exactly. I just thought…” She fell silent. She could not tell Chid that she had come running after Darvi, especially not in front of Allen. “I thought perhaps I could help with the refugees.”
“That is a kind thought, Your Highness. We are making an effort to provide for the destitute; your aid will be most appreciated.
“And perhaps it will keep you out of trouble,” Hama mumbled under his breath.
Yukari pretended not to hear him.
“At any rate, Your Highness,” Chid continued, “I will write to your parents at once to inform them that your have arrived safely. You will be my personal guest.”
“Thank you, Duke Chid.”
- - - - - - - -
Chid assigned what felt like a small army of maidens to `assist' Yukari with helping the refugees. She and her attendants handed out food and clothing, and provided simple medical care. Many of the refugees showed signs of having been attacked. Cuts, bruises and even broken bones were common. Their unfortunate condition sickened and angered Yukari. There was no reason for this behavior. It seemed as senseless as the Zybach attack that destroyed Fanelia in her father's youth.
Yukari went into the city every morning to tend to the refugees. While she could stitch cuts and bandage wounds adequately, she was more adept at setting the children at ease. So she would often tend to the younger children while their parents received medical attention or waited for food. Many of the children recognized her on sight, so when she and her maidens arrived that morning, six days after Yukari first arrived in Freid, they clustered around her, clamoring for her attention.
“Tell us a story, Miss Yukari!”
“Play tag with us, Miss Yukari!”
“Give me a moment, little ones!” she laughed. She pulled several toys out of various pockets in her dress and cloak. The children squealed with delight as she handed them little wooden balls, small dolls, lettered blocks and similar items.
“Good heavens, Your Highness,” one of her assistants said, “where did you find all that?”
“Around.” Yukari handed out the last item and the children settled down to play. “Actually, most of it is, or was, Chid's. He thought it might ease their troubles to have something normal like toys.”
“Our beloved Duke is a very generous man.”
“That he is.” Yukari watched the children play. “Let's see to their parents now.”
There were new families among the refugees and it broke Yukari's heart. A cat mother with three young children made her think of Darvi and his mother. She had seen little of Darvi during the past six days. The samurai and Allen's soldiers spent most of their time out in the countryside trying to stem the rising hostility toward beast-men and anyone who defended them. Darvi was the only beast-man among Duke Chid's borrowed forces, and Yukari tried hard not to think about that.
“Don't you think Duke Chid is a handsome man, Your Highness?” asked Mirabel, one of the countless Freidian maidens.
“Yes, he's very handsome,” Yukari answered absently. She carefully knotted a bandage around a young bear-man's forearm. She couldn't help but remember the last time she'd met a bear-man. He had nearly killed Darvi in a fight to the death. “How does that feel?”
“Much better, thank you Miss.” The young man flexed his arm carefully. “A man I've known since I was a boy tried to stab me. I don't understand. I did nothing to him.” He shook his head sadly. “The world has gone insane.”
“I am sorry,” Yukari said softly. “I don't understand it either.”
He walked away, still shaking his head. Yukari looked around, but there were no more people to help. The parents were watching their children playing with the toys Yukari had brought. Mirabel moved closer to Yukari's side.
“You have a way with these people,” she whispered to Yukari.
“We have a lot of beast-people in Fanelia. I'm used to talking to them.”
“I heard you are friends with the beast-man who rides with the Fanelian samurai.” Mirabel sounded as if she thought that was somehow scandalous, and exciting.
“Yes, Darvi is my friend,” Yukari replied. She tried to sound casual.
“You are the first princess who has visited Freid in a long time,” Mirabel said. “We have all been wondering if you might be… well… thinking about… staying.” She glanced at Yukari.
Yukari stared at her in surprise. “Whatever do you mean?”
“Well,” said Mirabel, “I heard Chief Advisor Horm say that you would be a good match for Duke Chid.”
“He did?” Yukari was stunned. It had never even occurred to her.
“We have all been wondering when Duke Chid might take a wife.” Mirabel sighed. “He is so handsome and kind, we have all wished we might catch his eye.”
Yukari just stared at her. Marry Duke Chid? She liked Chid very much, but never once had she thought of him that way. He seemed more like a brother than a potential husband. “No one has spoken to me about it,” she said finally. She did not want to give Mirabel the impression that she was against the idea, but neither did she want to encourage the rumors. She didn't want Darvi to hear about it.
“Perhaps they mean to write to your parents first. Are you already betrothed?”
“Uh, no.”
Mirabel patted her arm and smiled. “You are very fortunate. I wish I had been born a princess.”
Yukari had to bite her tongue. Why would anyone want to be a princess?
The soldiers returned that night. Hama, Darvi, Allen and Gaddes joined Chid and Yukari for dinner. Darvi's distant behavior made Yukari wonder at first if he had heard the rumors about a possible match between her and Chid. With the others around, it was impossible to simply ask him, or to try to put him at ease. But once Hama and Allen began to report on what they'd run into over the last few days, she changed her mind. What was happening out in the country was terrible. The refugees who made it to the city were the lucky ones.
Chid became angry as he listened. “We must put an end to this! Who or what is making the people act this way?”
“We believe one man is responsible, my lord,” Hama said. “We learned of a priest who has been speaking out against beast-men. We tried to find him, but he has many followers and they are protecting him. We returned because we believe he may be on his way here.”
“To the city?”
“Yes, my lord.”
“He has driven nearly all of the beast-men out of the countryside,” Allen said. “There are still a few in hiding, but most of those who have not been killed have come here. We think he means to come here and incite the citizens to attack the refugees and drive them back out into the country to be killed.”
“I will not allow that,” Chid said angrily. “These are my people. They must be protected.”
“We will protect them, Duke Chid, you may count on it,” Allen said. “But I am concerned about the possibility of civil unrest. This could get ugly.”
“We need to find this priest and destroy him,” Gaddes said quietly.
“I agree.” Darvi didn't sound like himself to Yukari. His voice was hard and cold.
“Did you learn anything about him at all?” Chid asked.
“No, but he seems to have an incredible ability to influence people.” Hama frowned. “People would attack us with nothing but farm tools when we stopped them from trying to kill beast-men. They were in a frenzy, out of their minds.”
Chid nodded thoughtfully. “We must be ready for him when he comes. We cannot let him stir up the whole city, or none of us may survive.”
Yukari shuddered. How could one man carry so much hate?
“Are you all right, princess?” Allen was smiling at her kindly. “We should not discuss such things over dinner.”
She gave him an unhappy smile. “I understand the necessity Allen. But perhaps I should return to my room.” She glanced at Darvi. “Would you walk with me part of the way, Darvi?”
He looked like he was going to say no, but then he nodded.
They left together, walking silently down the hall.
“I hope you're being careful, Darvi. I have been so worried that they might single you out.”
“They've tried, but I am a samurai.” He frowned darkly. “But the country people are not at fault. It's that priest. He makes them act this way. We need to capture him and lock him in the darkest hole in Fried's dungeon.” He stopped and caught her arm. “You need to be careful, too, Yukari. I've heard some of what he's been saying. He says people who are friends with the beast-men are no better than beast-men. I know you've been working with the refugees. That will make you a target, too.”
She returned his worried look. “I'll be careful, Darvi.” She took his hands in hers. “Maybe it wasn't such a good idea for me to come here.”
He smiled. “You finally just figured that out?”
“I just wanted to be near you.”
“I know.” He looked into her eyes and Yukari's heart stopped. She wanted to kiss him, but they were not alone in the hall. Servants going about their business passed in both directions. She finally dropped her eyes.
“I'm still glad I came.”
He squeezed her hands. “So am I.”