Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Dragon's Future ❯ City Under Siege ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 11: City Under Siege
“Duke Chid is a good ruler, Master Ramone. I don't think people will understand if you speak against him,” Zatia said.
“But he harbors beast-men in his city,” Brevan replied. “He provides them with charity.”
“But Duke Chid is a gentle man, Master. I do not think he is capable of understanding the harm these beast-men are doing.”
“Well, perhaps that is so.” Brevan stared at nothing for a moment, deep in thought. Then he smiled. “Well, no matter. There are people enough in the city to overwhelm his meager forces, even including the mercenaries he hired.”
“They are not mercenaries, Master.” Zatia looked worried. “I have made inquiries. Those men are samurai from Fanelia and knights from Asturia. They are strong fighters. Simple farmers are no match for them, as we have seen.”
Brevan's smile turned cold. “Yes, but we still outnumber them, and they are inclined to show mercy, which works against them. Tomorrow, we will enter the city and begin our work among the people there. They will have already heard the word. They need only to hear it from my lips to be swayed onto the right path.”
Zatia bowed. “Of course, Master Ramone. Shall I fetch your dinner now?”
“Yes, please. And afterwards, I shall bathe.”
“Yes, Master.”
- - - - - - - -
Afternoon shadows stretched out from the gate, casting the approaching people into gloom. Darvi watched from the top of the wall as the two city guards stopped the travelers. He strained his ears, but he could not hear the words they exchanged. The guards had been instructed to stop everyone who wanted to enter the city and question them. But Darvi wondered what good that would do. He seriously doubted the man they were looking for would announce himself at the gate. This group of travelers looked just like the last: dusty, tired farmers heading into the city with goods for sale strapped to their backs.
The only really telling sign, so far as Darvi could see, was the absence of new refugees. Yukari had told him that new refugees arrived every day. Yet he had not seen any since climbing onto the wall to stand guard duty with some of the other samurai that morning. Either there were no more, which he doubted, or those who had not yet made it to the city were heading elsewhere instead. Neither answer gave him a good feeling. His senses were tingling. Trouble was coming.
The guards waved the last group of travelers into the city and began to close the gate. The whispers among the few Freidian soldiers on the wall would have told him this was unusual, if the protesting squeals of the infrequently used hinges had not. The gates to the city of Freid were seldom closed, but they were closing tonight. Duke Chid was trying to put a lid on trouble. Darvi doubted it would help.
Hama climbed up the steps to the top of the wall. “Did you see anything suspicious, Darvi?”
“Everything looks suspicious,” Darvi answered darkly. “At least one hundred people came through the gate today and barely twelve left.”
Hama frowned. “I hear the same story from the other gates. There are too many strangers in the city. I don't like it.”
“We should have convinced Chid to close the gates this morning.”
“I tried, but the city is not self-sustaining. They need the food coming in from the countryside.”
“Well, I daresay they got more than food from the country today. I bet half those people are troublemakers we've already fought.”
“Probably.”
“Chief Hama, there aren't enough of us. This city is too big. If this priest starts an uprising we will never be able to contain it. Hundreds of people could die.”
“I know.” Hama stared out at the shadows stretching along the road. “We have to capture this priest. Without him to incite them, I believe this will all just die away.”
“How are we going to do that?”
“We know he likes to make speeches,” Hama said, “so we will put spies in every large gathering of people. Sooner or later he will show himself and then we will strike.” Hama pounded his fist into his palm. “And we cannot afford to be delicate about it anymore. If people around him die, so be it. Anyone close to him cannot be innocent of bloodshed anyway.”
Darvi nodded in agreement, but he said, “Chid isn't going to like that. It upsets him when his people are killed.”
“He's just going to have to learn to deal with it,” Hama said harshly. “People are already dying, and it's going to take more killing to stop it.”
Darvi nodded again. Hama was right of course. People were going to die no matter what they did.
- - - - - - - -
“Princess Yukari, I think it would be better if you did not leave the castle.” Chief Advisor Horm clasped his hands together and bowed as he spoke. He looked worried.
“But someone must tend to the refugees, my lord,” Yukari replied. “I promised I would help.”
“There are others who can tend them, Your Highness.” Horm moved closer and lowered his voice. “I fear the refugees will become a magnet for trouble. Anyone near them could be endangered.”
Yukari frowned. “These people have already suffered. I won't abandon them out of fear. Besides, we haven't heard that this man Allen and Hama are looking for has entered the city. I promise I will return at once at the first sign of trouble.”
“At least ask Duke Chid for an escort, Your Highness!”
“Every man is needed to patrol the city, my lord. I will take some of the young ladies with me, as before. I doubt anyone would be so insane as to attack a group of innocent women.”
Horm clasped her hands nervously. “These are insane times, Princess Yukari. Have a care!”
“I will be careful, my lord, I promise.”
Yukari disengaged her hands from his and hurried away. Horm's concern upset her. If he thought she would be at risk by tending the beast-men, it meant the beast-men themselves might be in danger. She wondered if anyone had bothered to warn them. She rounded up a handful of maidens and headed out into the city.
One of the larger squares near the market place had been turned into a temporary encampment for the refugees. When Yukari and the others arrived, it was clear that word had already reached the people gathered there of possible trouble. The children were no longer racing through the encampment playing games. The women kept them together near the center of the square, around the large fountain there. The men stood in twos and threes, spaced around the perimeter of the square at regular intervals. Guards.
A tall beast-man whose cat ancestry made Yukari think of Darvi nodded to them as the young women entered the square.
“We didn't think to see you today, Miss Yukari,” he said. “Trouble's coming.”
“I know, but that is all the more reason to make sure you have enough food and medicine.” She tapped the pack she was wearing, which she'd stuffed with all the herbs, potions and salves she could get her hands on. The other young women had food in their packs.
“You are a good woman, Miss Yukari. After all the trouble, it is a relief to find that not everyone has gone mad.”
Yukari gave him an unhappy smile. “I only hope we can end the fighting before it gets any worse.”
“So do I.” He pointed toward the center of the square. “You should leave what you have brought with the women and go back to the castle. It's not safe here.”
“What about new arrivals? Does anyone need medical care?”
“There are no new arrivals,” he said gravely. “This city will be the next to fall.”
Yukari stared at him. That was not good news.
“Oh, Your Highness, we should go back to the castle at once!” Mirabel said in a frightened voice. The other young women exchanged frightened glances.
Yukari nodded reluctantly. “All right. Let's drop these things off first.” She led the way to the center of the square.
“Miss Yukari! Miss Yukari!” the children cried and they rushed to crowd around her.
“Papa says bad men are coming, like before!” one little boy cried, his large golden eyes already wet with tears.
Yukari impulsively dropped to one knee and put her arms around him. “Duke Chid won't let that happen,” she said. “He protects all his people.”
“Even wolves like me?”
“Even wolves like you,” she assured him. “You are no different from anyone else and don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise!”
The little boy's mother gave Yukari a sad smile. She mouthed the word `thanks' as she caught her son's hand.
“Let me take that, Miss.” A cat-woman reached for Yukari's pack. Yukari stood and shrugged out of it, handing it to her by the strap.
“I brought all the medicines I could. I had to leave something for the soldiers,” she lowered her voice, “in case there's fighting.”
“I understand,” the woman said. “You've been more than generous, Miss Yukari.”
“It is as much Duke Chid's doing as mine, ma'am,” Yukari said.
The woman nodded. “Perhaps he will hire more soldiers after this. I don't think the trouble would have spread so far if there'd been soldiers to put a stop to it.”
“Perhaps not.” Yukari looked around. Mirabel and the others were waiting for her with obvious impatience. “Mirabel, why don't you and the others go back to the castle? I'll be along shortly.”
“We should go back together, Your Highness,” Mirabel protested.
“It's all right. I can get a couple of the men here to walk me back. I just want to entertain the children for a little while.”
“But, Your Highness…!”
“Go ahead,” Yukari urged. “I promise I'll be along very soon.”
Mirabel obviously thought it was a bad idea, but the other girls were urging her to leave. Yukari watched them go with a sense of relief. Their fear was infectious. Once they were out of sight, she took a seat on the edge of the fountain.
“All right! Who wants to hear a story?”
The children eagerly settled into a group in front of her, their faces starting to lose the lingering fear.
“Do you know the story of the Girl from the Mystic Moon?” she asked.
The excited cries made it clear they did, but they were ready to hear it again. It felt odd to tell this story about her own mother like it had happened to some stranger, but a familiar story with a happy ending was comforting, and comfort was something these unfortunate children had had too little of, lately.
- - - - - - - -
“Most of the beast-men are in the northern square, Master,” the young man reported. He rested on one knee in front of Brevan, a look of deep respect on his beardless face. He could not have been more than sixteen. “They have made a camp with tents and blankets provided by Duke Chid.”
“That is very interesting,” Brevan replied. “What else did you see?”
“There is a human woman there who, I am told, brings them aid every day. I saw her sitting among them as if she were one of them.”
“Really? Who is she?”
“I don't know, Master, but she comes from the castle. She must be a noblewoman.”
“A noblewoman who consorts with beasts?” Brevan smiled. That was perfect. A woman like that was just the sort of flashpoint he needed to set this city on fire. “I think I would like to speak to this woman. Bring her to me. Take others if you think you will need them.”
“Yes, Master.” The young man leaped to his feet and hurried away.
Brevan looked around the room. The common room of the inn was empty now except for himself, Zatia and the innkeeper. The innkeeper watched Brevan with frightened eyes, but he did nothing to interfere. He was too afraid of the young brigands in Brevan's service to protest the fact that he was not getting paid.
“Bring food!” Brevan ordered.
“At once, sir!” the innkeeper replied with a hasty bow. He scurried off to his kitchen, clearly happy to escape Brevan's gaze.
Zatia was frowning. “Why do you want to see this woman, Master Ramone?” she demanded.
“Do not imagine you know my whole mind, Zatia,” Brevan reprimanded her sharply, angered by her tone.
“Forgive me, Master.” She dropped her eyes.
Brevan smirked at her subservience. The woman really was a pleasure. “We need something to pull the city into our grasp. I cannot speak to everyone at once, as I can in the small towns. This woman, who cares for these creatures, will be our focal point. We must give the people a focus for their hate. And if she really is a noblewoman, it will hamper Duke Chid.” Brevan looked toward the kitchen. “Where is that fool with my food?”
“I will fetch him.”
Brevan smirked again as he watched her dash off to the kitchen. Soon enough, he would be sitting in Duke Chid's place and this country would be his. Then he would have a dozen women like Zatia to do his bidding.
- - - - - - - -
Yukari lost track of time. It was easy to do. She loved children and these little ones reminded her of her own siblings, especially Bethany. She missed Bethany. So she stayed to tell one story after another, giving their mothers time to tend to necessary business while their fathers watched over them from the perimeter of the square. So she was taken by surprise when one of the beast-men suddenly appeared before her holding a torch.
“Miss Yukari, it is time for you to return to the castle.”
Startled, Yukari looked around and discovered that evening shadows had filled the square and torches were being lit to combat the darkness.
“Oh, dear!” She jumped to her feet. “I was supposed to leave hours ago!”
“We will take you back,” the beast-man said. He nodded toward three other men, also holding torches.
“Will it be safe for you to walk through the streets at night?” Yukari asked worriedly.
The beast-man smiled grimly. “We are not as helpless as some would like to believe, Miss. But we must first get you safely back to the castle. Come.” He turned to lead the way across the square. Yukari obediently fell into step behind him and the other three beast-men took up positions around her. They hurried through the streets in deepening shadow.
The attack took them by surprise, despite the beast-men's vigilance. Suddenly surrounded, Yukari only had time for one startled cry before a blow from behind exploded her vision into stars. She staggered forward, grasping weakly for the man in front of her to keep from falling, and then she felt hands grabbing her limbs. She tried to struggle, but dizziness nearly made her gag and she went limp. She fought to stay conscious, but sucking blackness was dragging her down. Even then, though, in the back of her mind she couldn't help being angry that Horm had been proved right.
- - - -
Yukari's head was still spinning. She put a hand to her forehead and groaned softly. If she'd had anything to eat recently, she was pretty sure it would have come back up. The back of her head ached. For a moment, she couldn't remember what had happened. Then it came back to her and her eyes flew open. Bright candlelight sent pain lancing through her head and she closed her eyes with a gasp.
“So you're awake, are you?” The woman's harsh voice sounded angry.
Why should she be angry? Yukari wondered. That woman was not the one with the back of her head bashed in.
“Where am I?” Yukari asked weakly. It hurt to raise her voice too much.
“You don't need to know,” the woman answered. “Master Ramone wants to speak to you, so you just keep a respectful tongue in your head!”
“Who is Master Ramone?”
“You'll find out soon enough.”
Yukari opened her eyes again, slowly. “May I have some water?”
The woman snorted, but she did bring Yukari a cup of water, which she poured from a pitcher on a small table. Yukari sat up on one elbow so she could sip it, and subsequently had the chance to study her surroundings. There was not much to see. She was in a small barren room, with only the table, a chair and the rickety cot underneath her for furnishings. The woman appeared to be about Hitomi's age, but with the weathered features of someone who normally worked outdoors. She stared at Yukari as if she were somehow offended by her.
“You will wait here. I will fetch Master Ramone.” She left Yukari alone in the room.
Yukari sat up carefully. Her head throbbed painfully. I am in serious trouble, she thought. Why does this always happen to me?
The door opened again and a man entered. Without knowing why, Yukari cringed away from him. He radiated malevolence like no one she had ever met in her life. He studied her with pale, colorless eyes, while the woman watched from the doorway, glaring at Yukari angrily.
Why is she so angry? Yukari wondered.
“Leave us, Zatia,” he said. “I will speak to her alone.”
“Yes, Master,” the woman replied respectfully, but she favored Yukari with one more baleful glare before backing out and closing the door.
The man seated himself in the chair and regarded Yukari with what he probably thought was a paternal smile. “Who are you, child?”
Yukari lifted her chin. “I am the personal guest of Duke Chid, and if you don't return me to the castle at once, he'll have your head!”
The man laughed. “Oh, I think not, my child! You are quite in my power here, so I think you would do better to show a little respect.” He fixed her with a sharp glare. “Now tell me who you are and why you have been helping the beast-men.”
“I am Yukari Fanel, daughter of Van Fanel, King of Fanelia.” She returned his glare with one of her own. “I help the beast-men because they need help.”
“Daughter of a king?!” he exclaimed in a delighted voice. “Tell me, child, are beast-men common in your country?”
“Common enough.”
“Well, well.” He leaned forward. “I sense something about you…” his eyes focused on hers and held them in an intent gaze.
Yukari slid backward on the cot uncomfortably. It felt like the man was trying to see into her mind.
His eyes suddenly widened. “What's this?” He reached forward and grabbed Yukari's hand before she could pull away. “A beast-man lover?”
Yukari yanked her hand away. “What are you talking about?! Don't touch me!”
The man sat back with a wide grin. “You love a beast-man!” he declared. “It is more than I could have hoped for.”
Yukari stared at him. How could he possibly know that? “I demand that you release me!” she said in a shaking voice.
“I cannot do that,” he replied, still smiling. “You are exactly what I need. Tomorrow, I will use you to incite a riot. Every beast-man in this city is as good as dead.” He leaned forward with a cruel smile. “Including your lover.”
Yukari pushed herself backward on the cot until she was huddled against the wall.
“And then, I will see you burned at the stake for the abomination you are.”