Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Dragon's Game ❯ Best of the Best ( Prologue )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Title: Dragon's Game
 
Summary: General Adelphos reflects upon the death of one of Zaibach's most skilled commanders, and reminisces the career he led. Slight AU.
 
Chapter: Prologue- Best of the Best
 
The flames continued licking at the body, unaware of the fact that the flesh feeding them belonged to a legend. Perhaps not unaware, he conceded, as they danced higher than he'd ever seen before, and were almost white in color- fitting for the boy, he supposed. No, not unaware, then. Just uncaring.
 
`Soldier,' the albino called to his second-in-command.
`Sir?' The boy's red eyes flicked over to the metal walkway he had just climbed down from; it traced the perimeter of the hangar, small catwalks jutting out over the huge guymelefs. It was upon such a catwalk that the general stood watching, frowning disapprovingly, and it was to that spot that the eyes stared insolently, fixing a glare for the man there. So, he was meant to hear this, was he?
`If I die,' the young commander said plainly, ignoring the brief alarm that flitted across his junior officer's face, for his eyes were still riveted to the general's, even as he climbed into his beloved Alseides, `if I die, Gatti, I want you to swear to me you'll not let that poor excuse for a general near my cremation.'
`S-sir!'
 
It had always been like that. Every mission, every drill, until he was sure that the boy's unit had memorized the phrase. It certainly wasn't the last time he'd said it- just the first. The general snorted softly.
And where were his precious soldiers now? Dead, with their `lord' following behind them.
They had not seen the boy act out the play, even when no one answered his call of `soldier', and even then, even when the entire unit was gone, he had still thought it was just a part of the game. Never had he actually thought that this very scenario, dancing before eyes, would come to pass; he had never dreamed that it haunted the soldier. None of them had expected it to happen, even as the others fell, the so-called best of Zaibach.
None had expected him to die when on his own and faced with impossible odds, because he was Dilandau Albatou, and he was the best of the best.