Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Gravity, After The Fall ❯ Gravity, After the Fall ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
If you think I own the copyright to Escaflowne, you are a sadly delusional person. What would a misguided soul like that be doing on a fanfic site?

* * *

For every action exists and follows an equal and an opposite reaction.

The ground charged fast, then faster, rushing with relentless upward passage to crush the two small bodies reduced to nearly nothing in its shadow. There was no fear; fear did not exist in the gravity of the situation eclipsing all emotion. To jump had been reflex, and fear abhors a vacuum. Dirt and rocks and the center of momentum flew up towards the soaring children, faster than terror and outrunning rationality.

It would end.

Silver's eyes closed tightly, hand following the example in her sister's. Gold, in contrast, kept her eyes open wide, the dust and dirt inconsequential. After life lived in pain, one final irritation would not stack up against the exponential force of Newton's Laws to save her frail body. Dirt in the eyes was nothing to a corpse broken on the cliffs.

The tumbling and turning, eyes open, eyes closed, hands tight around one the other's, lasted for a small eternity spanning very nearly two seconds.

A passing shadow didn't so much pass, and the twins found themselves no longer soaring to meet the ground, oh no; they were suspended in their animation now. So very gently, they landed on the ground, which could not harm them. Very little could, any longer.

That moment brought them something new, but they were only children too accustomed to unpleasant change. Never ever a pair more in need of a guardian angel were, and they had found one. It was all they could do, after the fall, all that they were capable of to instinctively lash out and bury their kitty teeth and claws in the angel's skin as equal opposition.

"You poor things," he sighed, allowing it to prove his true godly nature, the man with one arm hidden that could defy the descent.

Silver scampered away to a safe distance, uncertainty setting in, though Gold was slow to join her. The stranger did not pursue them, for there would never be another place for them to go. He held out the hand they had bled, feathers falling before his face to frame a stoic masterpiece. "Yours has been a hard fate. I will give you new names."

The names for unfortunate Silver and Gold were dictated by the laws of circumstance, always in conflict and contradiction. A coin only possesses one head. The names for Silver and Gold were lucky now, but only one or the other at once, never both of them.

And when ill luck befell them, both were struck. Their fate could only be altered, not changed. The essential unlucky component lived and thrived in them both, one at a time. After the fall, they grew and continued to live as life had never intended. Names have always traditionally held power, and theirs were selected by the Strategos and his destiny-warping charisma.

Fate could only bend so much to grant them fortune, and it, too soon, scowled upon them in disgrace. Even Nariya and Eriya could not defy the gravity of providence.

Equal followed, opposite. Folken Lacour de Fanel was left to survive the fall.