Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Moving On ❯ Moving On ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Moving On

"It's hot today," Celena murmured, breaking the silence that had settled in as soon as she and Allen had reached the cemetery. Adjusting her wide-brimmed straw hat, she asked, "Don't you think so, Onni-sama?"

"Hmmm?" Allen asked, not turning his head or looking at her. Celena sighed. It'd been about six months since the end of the war, and nearly every day now Allen had wanted to visit their mother's grave. At first it had been interesting and sad, but now it was just dull. She understood that she would never see her mother again, so what was going to the cemetery every day supposed to accomplish? Her mother, in heaven, was no closer to them at the cemetery than at the house, or anywhere else.

And coming to the cemetery seemed to make Allen so sad. While they were there, he said nothing, just sat still, his eyes faraway and pained. Then, when they went home, he shut himself in his room for most of the rest of the day. Celena had run out of ways to amuse herself and, as she was quickly maturing, wished to travel, wished to go places and see the things and meet the people that Allen talked about in those rare times that he seemed happy enough to talk to her.

"Yeah, I guess it is hot out," Allen finally replied.

"It's almost summer," Celena continued. "Say, what are we doing for the summer?"

"What do you mean?" Allen turned to look at her, for once.

"Are we going to stay here in the villa? Or are we going to travel?"

Allen shrugged. "Would you want to travel?"

"I would love to travel," Celena exclaimed. Allen nodded and turned away. Celena sighed and thought for a moment, before asking, "Hey, Onni-sama...? Maybe we can go to see one of your old girlfriends... everyone says how popular you are... we could go somewhere where you were popular."

Allen chuckled darkly. "It doesn't really work that way. They've all moved on. I don't really think they'll want me around."

Celena shrugged and continued cheerfully, "Or we could visit your friend, you know, your comrade from the war, Van, in Fanelia...?"

Allen grimaced. "I'm sure he's busy. Besides, I'm not so sure he'd want us to stay with him..."

Celena nodded. "I guess, but you could always ask, couldn't you?"

Allen did not respond. He turned away from her and sighed. Celena looked down. She couldn't think of anything more to say. She loved her brother dearly, but she had to admit, sometimes, talking to him was about as easy as talking to a brick wall! I can't get anything through to him. He lives in the past and does not think to the present. I live in the present; for me, the past didn't exist. So how can we talk of shared anything, if we share nothing?

"Onni-sama?" Celena asked at length.

"Celena?"

"Do you not want to see the people you used to see during the war? Because every time I mention them you don't want to talk about them."

"That was a different time," Allen murmured. "We've all gone our separate ways now."

"What is your way?"

"Pardon?"

"Well, you said that everyone has gone their separate ways. So what way is yours? Where did you go? What future are you pursuing?"

Allen sighed. "I'm taking care of you, of course."

"But Onni-sama, this is no life for either of us!" she exclaimed. "We both have to move on from the war! I mean... Haha-ue would want us to remember her but she would also want us to find happiness, which we'll never do sitting here all the time!"

Allen turned to her, eyes cast down, lips pursed in thought. Finally, he asked, "What would you have me do, then?"

Celena shrugged. "I don't really know... you need to find some way to move on, though. We can't help Haha-ue now... we have to help ourselves... and in doing so, we have to think to the future, not to the past."

Allen nodded, "It's not easy, though."

"No..." Celena murmured, "But... if I may say something...?"

"What?"

"Well," Celena bit her lip, knowing that what she was about to say was not the kindest, "It's... not... very nice."

"Go ahead," Allen told her, "Sounds like I need to hear it."

"Well, it seems that... in all your relationships with girls, you were their first boyfriend, and then they moved on... I mean, Millerna-hime was in love with you, then she married Dryden, and now she's maybe with Dryden maybe not, but she's not with you, and Hitomi liked you but then she found that Van was the one she truly cared for. Why do you think girls always move on from you?"

Allen jerked his head up, staring at her. "How... how would you... how could you come to a conclusion like that? Millerna was engaged and Hitomi went home anyway, it wouldn't have worked out..."

Celena sighed. "You said Hitomi reminded you of me."

"So I did... but why does that matter?"

"Did Millerna-hime remind you of someone also?"

Allen looked down, thinking of Marlene. He had never told his little sister about her, but somehow he felt that her wide blue eyes, usually full of innocent wonder, could now see through him. This child, so pure, made him seem crude in comparison. "Yes," he finally murmured, "she did. I see what you mean."

"Well, maybe if you are looking for someone to make a life with, instead of someone who reminds you of someone else, the person won't leave you..." Celena came over and gently hugged Allen from behind. "I know you can do it. And... remember... we both have to remember, we won't..." she took a deep breath before whispering, "We're never... going to be... alone any more... we've got each other and... we should join the world again."

And Allen turned to face her, smiling. He clasped her hand and murmured, "All right. Point taken, I guess. Shall I be sending a letter to Van to ask if we're invited to his court this summer?"

--END--