Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ On the Run ❯ Get Set ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: This part was inspired by the song `Hold me, Thrill me, Kiss me, Kill me' by U2! Listen to it, it's magic!
 
 
Meanwhile a young woman quietly sipping a coffee in a small cosy café looked out the window and staring from the police car to what was resting on her table she smiled.
 
 
 
Hitomi Kanzaki had seen the dark haired man sprint past the café and the down the alley alongside it, barely paying attention. Her full focus on that of the non-living occupants of her table, including her coffee cup as she didn't want to spill it down her blouse before work began; unlike her cup of tea the night before which had landed all over her favourite sleeping t-shirt.
 
A t-shirt that coincidentally belonged to the same person who had caused her to spray tea all over it, not by choice but in shock her jaw had dislocated itself, and tea had drizzled from her mouth onto the t-shirt.
 
But that wasn't the important thing she had to remind herself, was the event that had taken place and her reaction to it. Not that her analytical mindset was helping as the emotional part of her brain, self-affectionately known as Mimi (one of her less favoured nicknames) was in overdrive and telling the analytical skills to go up themselves, causing an all out war between the parts of her brain, only adding to the situation a headache.
 
This explained the coffee that morning and the daze she was quietly occupying, thus not paying attention to the identity of the sprinter who was then chased by the police. And even the police sirens had failed to pull her out of the reverie, but the growing crowd noise and those in the café who had been staring aimlessly out the window on the scene were now closing in around her to find out what was going on.
 
So she looked up at the right moment in her eyes, and watched a man she recognised instantly being pulled towards a police car, the officers far more out of breath than he was. His head pushed down and into the car, handcuffed to an officer. She smiled at the complete irony of the situation, after all he had trapped himself and she was going to relish every moment of this situation.
 
She quietly sipped her coffee, while noting the car registration number, then took out her mobile phone and dialled a number then pressing certain keys and grinned at the information she was about to give to someone who would rejoice in the prospect of catching someone completely off guard.
 
 
 
Van Fanel had the entire police ride in stagnant silence to mull over the chaos that would occur once the word got out of his current circumstances. Nonetheless, the sarcastic part of mind that sounded identical to his brother's voice told him the silence was only negative on his part.
 
The officers in the car had all been chasing him, the one sat next to him still red in the face but they were all radiating smugness at catching the bastard - in their eyes - that had made them run for a good 15 minutes after committing an `offence.' People these days were killing people; drug dealing and no one stopped them.
 
And he, he of all people - who looked nothing like a criminal, at least in his view; was caught by the police and on his way to a police station to be questioned. But it wasn't the `offence' he was worried about, but how it would get out in minutes and be plastered round, making him infamous for all the wrong reasons. Not that he wanted to be famous anyway, he liked not being noticed; which was hard for him because of his family and the industry he was involved in.
 
But when he wanted to be noticed by someone he wasn't. He asked himself what made him think about something completely useless at this moment. But it was true, he had gathered the courage to explain his doings and motives the night before to the one person who hadn't seen it but needed to; and yet nothing came of it.
 
He decided that he had let Merle make him watch one too many saccharine films where the warring couple got together in the end or the oblivious part of the couple came around and fell into the pining one's arms. He almost laughed at such a thing, but it hurt to know that his words and the meaning of them had led to nothing, not even an apology for being completely oblivious to his feelings.
 
But it didn't matter he thought as he was shoved out of the police car, hauled up the steps into the police station and pushed into an interview room. They obviously wanted to get him in and convicted as soon as possible. But he knew once the mess was sorted out, it would enter the public domain swiftly and leave him filled with embarrassment in front of everyone.
 
The previous night's embarrassment would have no comparison to this. However last night had hurt him, as if someone had upper-cut him and winded him, this would make him want to hit something, well so did last night but for completely different reasons.
 
He was so preoccupied with the memory of the night before he paid no attention to the people entering the interview room, sitting on the other side of him and asking for his name. After the emotional and now physical overload that had occurred within the past 12 hours, Van Fanel didn't feel like being agreeable - whether it was towards the police or even the Devil himself, one step higher from Dornkirk.
 
It was during this split second that Van had an epiphany, and like most epiphanies, he really didn't enjoy the news it heralded, and it wasn't of the birth of his saviour.
 
As the police were starting to click their pens sadistically and ask once again for his name, he realised that if the events of the night previous had occurred in the optimum way, which he had wished for desperately, then he probably wouldn't have been awake at this point. And if he had been awake, he wouldn't be here but enjoying his life in a far better way.
 
But no, life just had to sneak up behind up and shove a cattle-prod up his arse, so he wasn't best pleased. Nonetheless, his perspective of the situation was about to take a drastic turn, which would leave him more mystified than he had been before all this.
 
All he did was in parrot fashion demand a lawyer, but after fifteen minutes of his 'supreme evil glare,' they relented as long as he told them his name, which he begrudgingly gave. A tiny voice in his head that sounded surprisingly a lot like Dilandau told him to lie his backside off and give a fake name, all fake details. Which seemed like a very good instantaneous idea, aside from the small flaw that his wallet in his back pocket had not only his driving license, but his national I.D. card which clearly had printed his name on it.
 
The mischievous side of him, which also sounded a lot like Dilandau told him to use someone else's name and the only one that came to mind was Dilandau's. However this idea was also immediately scrapped with the realisation that Dilandau had had a fair few scrapes with the law as both a teenager and still today, and Van didn't want to pay a large lump sum in parking tickets and fines, in the knowledge that Dilandau would probably never pay him back.
 
Van sighed as he gave his name, however the policemen didn't seem to react to it. There was no sudden fanfare to say, Oh Mother of Escaflowne we've caught Van Fanel trying to hotwire a car, and a nice car at that. He inwardly groaned and cursed his entire life, knowing that this one moment would stand out like a beacon over everything he had done in the past and that his peers and colleagues would let it alone as a dog is with a favourite bone.
 
Paris Hilton wouldn't be needed for that evening's headlines, as he would be all over the papers. One simple slip of his judgement, no his sanity and it was going to cost him everything. He wanted to throw up at this point, but ingested it and winced as the door opened to the interview room and a burly looking plain clothes sergeant looked at him smugly, but then turned to someone behind him with a rather vicious tone as if Van was his bone and he was letting go rather resentfully and said over his shoulder to the obviously shorter person, “He's all yours,” stepping aside to reveal a sight that Van would never forget as long as he lived.
 
 
 
 
A/N: Okay, Part three and final part is coming up! Happy summer holidays to those who have finished school already!