Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Secrets ❯ Only ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Secrets

Chapter Twelve

Only

Dedicated to ZEmpress - Thank you for all the help.

An: Aw, Screw this! FIGHT!!!

********

Dawn.

Schezar servants were known for their discretion and reserved attitudes. That would actually account for most of the scandals that the family was infamous for. Because of their loyalty and their respect for the privacy of its members they never opened their mouths to deny, confirm, justify or even acknowledge any of what was said. In fact if they had opened their mouths in some cases, many of the rumours could have been avoided however the endless training of respectable servants of respectable houses prevailed and thus the servants in Schezar manor were as reticent as ever.

This was one day when everything that had ever been said about the 'silent Schezars' flew out the window and into the gutter. Their sudden burst of speech was due specifically to the events that were to take place that morning. Lord Allen and Lady Celena both realised that their talk was justified for it was not everyday that one had the opportunity to witness the King of Fanelia battle with the master's baby sister. Some were even placing bets upon their choice of victor. This made Allen frown and Celena laugh.

The first rays of sunlight that graced the rooms and walls of the manor in hopes of waking the inhabitants therein found themselves sorely disappointed.

Allen was, to say the least, grumpy. He had been one of the last to go to bed and one of the very first to awaken. Queen Millerna had arrived at the manor about half of an hour after Dilandau and Celena retired and was followed by Lord Van who showed up somewhere in the subsequent fifteen minutes.

After a period of discussion regarding the finalization of specific rules, regulations and technicalities, Allen had finally thought that he could have gotten some sleep. It seemed the his oh-so-cruel servants and even crueller Fate had other plans for the Heavenly Knight who didn't look nearly as 'heavenly' when he finally trudged into to bed at midnight -three hours later.

As he walked beside Celena, his weariness and ill temper were replaced by a gripping fear that squeezed at his uncertain heart. He glanced at his sister out of the corner of his eyes as they exited the main hall. He found her listening intently to Dilandau whose head was bent close to her ear. Every once in a while he would gesture with his free right hand -the other being held captive in Celena's vice grip- to demonstrate or clarify what he was saying. Celena, for her part, was not talking but nodding her head and swallowing every once in a while but only ever so slightly. She looked like she was going to be sick with nervousness. It reminded him of how he felt on the day of his first real guymelef battle.

Dilandau seemed to be completely oblivious to her state as he continued talking. It was obviously one of those 'trainer-student' moments. From what he gathered, they were going over everything they had planned during the past two weeks in a matter of seconds. Allen wasn't sure whether he wanted to know or just to watch it happen. He turned away but realised that he needed to speak to Dilandau -quickly. He turned back towards them, no longer hearing their whispers.

Suddenly, he saw something that he didn't ever expect to see, at least not in this lifetime. Dilandau was making her laugh. Her nervousness was still evident but he was doing his best to rid her of it. Somewhere in the middle of their little chat, she said something and a certain look that flashed across her face made Allen almost growl. She did not like Dilandau Albatau in that way. He shook his head to clear it and looked back at the two. He came to a conclusion: Fate hated him.

There it was, the same look only much more subdued and highly fought against. She wasn't admitting it to herself, Allen realised. She didn't want to acknowledge that she cared for the boy standing in front of her, whom she was about to sacrifice her life for. That brought him spinning right back to where it was supposed to be.

It irked him to no end that Dilandau wasn't returning his sister's feelings even as she walked to what was known as 'indefinite suicide'. He had seen Dilandau train her and the immense amount of skill they both possessed. But, on the other hand, he had seen Van beat Dilandau on occasion and there was nothing else for Van to do but get better over the past two moon cycles. And that had been after years of continuous military training in Zaibach. Was two weeks with an out-of-shape, pyromaniac military captain enough the give Celena a fighting chance? A very fine pin was pricking his previous assurance, over and over again, until he could literally feel it seeping out his body.

Without a warning he was enveloped in a hug by Celena. She kissed his cheek lightly, turned back to Dilandau and smiled slightly before jumping up and into her Alsedies. The two watched as she made her way to the centre of the field where the actual battle would take place. The two pilots listened intently as the Queen recited the incentive and terms of the duel. Allen felt his stomach churn and his throat constrict.

Dilandau felt a short tap on his left shoulder and turned to face Allen. "Yes, Schezar?"

"No hostilities while she's out there," was the make shift truce the Heavenly Knight put forward. He took a deep breath and then asked curiously, "Do you think she can?" He didn't need to define what he was asking; there was only one focus.

"Yes. Probably."

"Oh. Very good." Silence. Dilandau could sense there was something else the blonde wanted to ask him; he wasn't sure he wanted to have to answer it.

"Was there something else, Schezar?"

"Yes, actually. What was the whole hand-pants business?" Dilandau snorted. He couldn't help it. Allen was still hung up on the pants thing? So this was what Celena was referring to as Allen's 'brainless-big-brother' mode.

"Your belt refused to behave itself. She was helping me with the buckle. Only the buckle; it refused to close." Allen was sorely tempted to ask what of the look he had been wearing but decided against it.

"Much better." Schezar's gaze shifted towards the guymelefs that were still listening patiently to Millerna, who looked about to fall asleep herself. The seventeen year old breathe an unnoticeable sigh of relief. He could have sworn Allen was going to ask him something much worse…more in the direction of-

"Does she love you?" that blew the silver-haired Lord's relief out of the water. Did she love him? How on earth was he supposed to know that? But then again…

"Define 'love'."

"Romantically." That was it. Dilandau's conclusion was simple: Schezar lived to torture him.

"You'd have to ask her that. I wouldn't be able to say."

"Very well then. Do you love her?" WHY HIM? What was it with the knight and the bloody loaded questions Dilandau asked himself. The question he really had to ask himself though, was did he?

"No. Not in that way." He said it to both himself and the knight and it calmed him to hear himself be able to deny it. But, strangely, he found himself almost saddened by the amount of ease with which he said it. Odd…very odd. Suddenly, he needed justification from the man who had made him…say that. "Why?" he demanded a little more harshly than he had intended. He didn't mind however, what business was it of Schezar's anyways?

"Just asking."

Silence overtook the two as they heard what they both believed to be the most dreaded word ever uttered fill the air. It rang out clearly from the Queen in the most authoritative voice anyone had ever heard her use. "BEGIN!"

********

Dilandau waited. He had told her to allow Van to make the first move. Then she would be able to tell what his style was like. Silently, he did something he had never done before in his life…he sent a plea to whatever forces existed above to help Celena. Even if she didn't win, he wanted her back out in one piece. He couldn't vouch for his sanity if Fanel hurt her.

Van took the offensive and charged. He swung at Celena and Dilandau was pleased to see how easily she sidestepped it. He swung again, this time sending her slightly off balance. Fanel took advantage of her stumble to lunge at her and send her reeling. Dilandau cursed loudly in Allen's ear. This wasn't going according to plan.

Celena got up in record time but he had barely had the time to gauge which direction she was facing before the white guymelef lunged at her again from what could practically be called 'behind'. She swung around and blocked. Van threw his weight against his sword, forcing Celena to grind her heel into the ground as a brace. She strained against him for only a few moments then she pulled a handy little trick that Dilandau had taught her for exactly the situation she was in.

Standing a little straighter, she pulled the edge of her blade along the length of Van's before pushing with all her strength against him, successfully throwing him backwards for a considerable distance. She smirked as she saw the entire white guymelef almost cringe. Dilandau saw Allen's eyebrows rise appreciatively and was inwardly pleased.

Not wasting time and taking advantage of her position below the towering Escaflowne, Celena threw a punch that connected squarely with the back of the guymelef's knee. It buckled and landed on its knees, the pilot obviously shocked. Allen and Dilandau were trying to figure out how exactly she had managed to hit that particular spot from her angle. Not that they were complaining or anything.

The tables turned and as Van struggled to his feet. The black Alsedies sliced openly at the chest of the white Ispano. Van was just able to bring his sword up to block what would have been the fatal strike. She lunged again but he was ready for her and blocked. He dodged under her arm and then crashed the hilt of his sword into the centre of the black guymelef's back. Celena landed hard, face down on the ground.

Dilandau's cursing, which had (for Allen) thankfully ebbed, started up anew when Celena went down. It stopped suddenly and turned into quiet mutterings as they intently studied the movements of the advancing Escaflowne.

Van was about to ask Celena to yield when the Black guymelef rolled over onto its back and launched an upward blow at him. Taken aback, he retreated a few steps, unconsciously allowing Celena the time and space to jump back up onto her feet. Even Dilandau gaped slightly at the ease with which she executed that particular near-impossible move.

Without further warning, Celena began an all out attack on the Escaflowne. Van was having trouble keeping up with her. She was completely unpredictable striking left then under, then from behind. She moved like a psychotic bunny. Then, on her final blast of energy, Celena swung at Escaflowne and disarmed it. She knocked it off its feet with a sidekick aimed directly at its torso and held her sword tip directly above Van.

"YIELD, FANEL!" she shouted. Seeing that he was completely helpless, Van opened his melef and bowed a deep bow, one to a sovereign, acknowledging her victory.

Allen, for his part, attempted to strangle Dilandau to death in a killer hug, not noticing who or what he was hugging in his state of total relief and happiness. Dilandau wasn't interested in celebrating for now; he needed to get to Celena…and fast. He pushed Schezar off of him and made his way to the centre of the field where the black guymelef stood as still as a statue.

"CELENA!" he cried. She opened her melef and literally fell into his arms. She was covered from head to toe in sweat and looked slightly green. He caught her with ease and whispered into her ear, "You did it, Milady. Very becoming." She smiled weakly at him before passing out completely.

********

Celena awoke to find two perfect garnet orbs staring intently at her. She looked around. She realised that she was in her own room but how did she get there? The last thing she remembered was holding her sword above Escaflowne's chest and demanding that Van yield. She turned her head to look back up into those beautiful red eyes and groaned quietly. The eyes smiled at her. She scowled at them.

"You've had a hard morning, Milady. Don't try to move too much, your body isn't accustomed to the strain of fighting Fanel," Dilandau said to her, smiling slightly.

"Well, you would be the authority on that so I'll take your word for it," she responded. "Did I win?" she asked, looking away. She was embarrassed that she couldn't even remember if she had won or not.

"Splendidly." She hadn't expected that answer. A simple 'yes' or 'no' might have done the trick but far be it from her to complain about a compliment.

"Thank you," she mumbled, "Thank you for everything…the training, support, encouragement…thank you." She turned to look at him and he smiled a real smile as a form of 'you're welcome'. It was only then that she realised exactly what position they were in and why those eyes were so close to her own. She had been so comfortable that she hadn't even noticed where Dilandau was.

She was lying on her left side facing Dilandau, who was lying on his right side on her bed…shirtfront wide open. He had his arm wound tightly around her waist, keeping her snugly in place. Judging from their current position, Celena deduced that while she had been asleep, her face had been buried in his chest. She shifted her legs and felt his intertwined with them under her comforter. He was wearing pants she found -thankfully- but it seemed that whatever she was wearing was extremely short.

Attempting to think about something else but still not moving from her place in his arms, she looked out the balcony doors and saw the dark velvet of night draped over the sun. "How long have I been asleep?" she asked, looking back at him. He was still looking at her, his brow slightly furrowed. He shook his head imperceptibly.

"All day long since the end of the fight. I brought you up here and Allen had some of the ladies come in here and clean you up. He left about an hour ago in desperate need of sleep. Despite his many faults I'd have to say that he really does love you, Milady."

"And when did you sneak in here?" she asked teasingly, knowing that Allen would never have allowed him in the room alone for anything. "And why do you insist upon calling me 'Milady'?"

"It suits you. And, actually, I relieved him from his bedside duty," he replied, sending her into a shocked silence. Allen left…Dilandau in her room…alone? It became obvious to her that they hadn't been in this position when he had left but still…? Maybe there was hope for her brother after all. "Everyone else in the house is asleep. I think it's around one in the morning right now." He jerked her out of her thoughts.

"You've been awake all this time?" she inquired. For some reason, she found it endearing that he would stay up with her for so long, in a way that was different from the way it would have been if he had been anyone else.

"No. After Allen began his vigil at your bedside, I went back to bed and slept for the better part of the day. I knew he'd be exhausted after today with the running around behind Van and Millerna and not having gone to sleep until twelve last night. If he had fallen asleep and something had happened to you…let's just say that I can't vouch for my sanity when it come to your safety," he finished and looked at her a bit oddly.

Celena wasn't sure what expression she had on her face but she knew that what Dilandau had just said was probably the sweetest thing anyone had ever said to her. This time, purely of her won volition, she reached up and pulled his head down towards her. Before their lips connected fully, he breathed a quite "Thank you" into her ear. Their lips met and Celena was lost in the kiss.

She noticed and felt things she hadn't the last time they had kissed. They moved in perfect sync with each other. And Dilandau…who knew Dilandau where and how he learnt what he knew? It was the most breathtaking thing either of them had ever experienced but they weren't going to admit to that. Celena never wanted to end that kiss but Dilandau seemed to think it was best if they did. When they broke apart his breathing was as ragged as hers.

Panting slightly, Celena said, "Wow."

Dilandau opened his mouth to say something along the same lines but was amazed when he heard himself say, "Allen never hears about that. It didn't happen." He was about to make a retraction when Celena nodded.

"I agree. Our Secret." She knew that was just a 'thank you' kiss. It may have been one of the most amazing kisses she would ever receive but it was just a way of her saying thank you. She snuggled closer into his chest and yawned.

"Sleep, Lady," Dilandau commanded. "There's always tomorrow."

"Goodnight…Dilly-sama," she mumbled sleepily against his chest and smiled when she heard him growl lightly. There was always tomorrow…and the next five and a half colours. They still had an agreement.

Celena drifted off to sleep again thinking that no matter what she did, she always had a secret…and she always had someone to share it with. Her Dilandau.

'It was only a thank you kiss,' was her last thought for the night.

********

AN: I know…lame ending. I tried! I'm not good at closure. Yes, I know some of you will ask for a sequel and I have one planned BUT before I write the sequel out, I have another fic that I really have to write because the idea is haunting me and I don't like to have to balance more than one story at one time.

TO EVERYONE WHO HAS EVER READ THIS STORY…THANK YOU FOR ALL THE SUPPORT. IT MEANS TONS TO ME ^-^!