Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ The Trials of Time ❯ ~Part Two~ The Findings of a New Life ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Vision of Escaflowne Fan-fiction:
~ Part Two ~
The Findings of a New Life.
The young man, known now as Folken Stratego, walked silently down one of the dimly lit hallways. Two girls walked behind, but to each side of him; they look younger than the man maybe around the age of eight or nine years. Their visible origin similar to that of a human being, but many prominent and finely detailed differences, such as their long feline tails that swayed along with their graceful body rhythm as they continued down the corridor. As well as their large acute cat ears twitching with every sound, no matter how minute it may be. Their sharp eyes watched the path ahead and their tinted skin shone under the odd hanging light. The three continued down the small corridor and the man then halted at one of the few cast-iron doors.
He turned to the two cat-like females and said in his normal purely emotionless tone, "Neither of you are needed now, you may return to your posts until I am finished."
The two bow and responded at the same time, their voices merging almost creating a new voice in the process of saying "Yes, Lord Folken." From their sentence their combined voices seemed to have a slight purr to it, though at a second thought it would have already been too late to listen for it. They returned from their bows effortlessly and continue down the hall side by side. They held two very different colour patterns in their similar almost identical appearances; the one to the left having features tinting to the yellow and orangey scale, and the other to the right having features tinting to the grey and dull bluish scale. As they walked down the hall, however they passed under one of the few lights and they seem to shine a perfect spectrum of gold and silver. He watched them go as they started to talk in between themselves. He then turned back to the door and motioned to the guard, who unhitched the several locks that bound it, and then proceeded to hold it open for the man. He nodded and entered the door then closed it behind him. The young girl sat cross-legged on the cot as she kept her head down watching a rather large pale cyan blue feather, and ran its soft bristles through her fingers, seemingly taking care to slide the feather downward so to not ruin the delicate course in which the teeth of the feather passed.
He watched silently for a moment before going to the side of the cot, and saying softly, "Where did you find that, Little one?"
Her fingers froze on the feather as it dropped to her lap and she looked up to him. Her uncovered eye looking nervously to his face then back down to the feather and replied quietly, "I… I just found it."
He nodded slowly, "I see… Little one, you can trust me. I won't harm you, and you have my word as a Zaibach elite."
She didn't say or do anything, except pick the feather back up gently. He watched her silently, and strangely enough a hint of curiosity peaked in his crimson eyes. "Does the feather have anything to do with some of the larger rips on the back of your shirt?"
Her once gentle hand had quickly tightened around the feather almost to the point of smothering it, if it hadn't been for its size. Her shoulders tensed and she said rather forcefully for her circumstances, "No, of course not."
He waited a moment before saying, "How are you feeling? You hardly eat and it's been two weeks since you're arrival. I do not even know you're name…"
She looked back down to her lap silently breathing out a slight whimpering response, "My name's L-Leeona… Dos Amious and I feel… terrible." her voice softening more during the second portion of her statement.
He nodded and to her surprise, sat down on the edge of the cot, his calm voice breaking the small silence once again, "I could imagine. You do heal quickly, however. Tomorrow I will have your wrappings exchanged for fresh and less burdening ones. Would you like that?"
She looked up at him now fear no longer lingering in her eyes but more of a hushed curiosity. "Folken Stratego… why am I here? I mean…” She hesitated, “why did you save me?"
"Because Little one you intrigued me and I can see great things in you. I brought you here so that perhaps you may have the chance to lead a more prosperous life. So that you could live." He stood up and walked over to the door again. The door swung open, but he looked back over to Lee for one final moment, "And Little one you're a very special child. I didn't want you to die. Bleeding to death, no less." He then continued out of the door and out of her sight.
* * *
The next day as Folken had said, she was escorted to a new room. Much to her dismay a healer waited there for her, and Folken was nowhere insight. The healer changed her wrappings and put on new and lighters ones that were much more flexible. He removed the one from her eye and delicately cleaned away the excess and exposed tissue in addition to the dried blood. After he was finished he re-bandaged the wound, but now only covered up the two deeper ends leaving her eye free to once again use its ability. She remained silent through the entire ordeal, though there was still pain and the healer wasn't the most trustworthy sort, but she was hardly even there for her mind raced with confused and entangled thoughts. Unsure about everything that was to come and everything connected to the name Zaibach. She waited a little while on the cold table and the healer packed up then patted her on the top of the head once and exited the small room. She disliked his touch, but soon the soldiers did the same. She waited silently again her loneliness becoming taken over by an unexplainable fear. As it began creeping its way into her head and she started to question things around her; a panic slowly pushed its way into her thoughts. As it grew inside of her, the shut door of the room clicked and slowly opened. She looked quickly, a small smile creasing her lips as she saw the familiar man enter. When Folken entered into her full sight she jumped off the table and quickly went over to him.
Looking down at her he said, "I assume you're feeling better?"
She nodded and as she had expected he brought her back to the small room. Upon entering the room she went over to the cot and sat down cross-legged in the middle of it again. Looking over to the desk to her right, she was surprised to see her sheathed katana lying on it. Folken stayed by the door watching her for the moment.
When she looked back over to him, he said, "I know it's late but I thought I'd give you some company." The two young girls who had accompanied Folken before entered the room, then he continued, "I have some matters to attend to, but I'll be back later on." He turned to leave, but glancing to the leopard-like females he concluded, "Play nice." Then he left the room.
Lee sat on the cot silently watching the two girls as they said something to one another quickly, and then looked over to the Lee as she sat there on the cot. The silver tip haired one went over to the cot and sat on it. Lee pulled back a bit to find the golden tipped one already somehow behind her. The golden tipped one rested her chin on Lee's shoulder almost purring a form of hello.
The silver tipped one came closer and her grey tail brushed past Lee's arm, "Hello, I am Naria and this is my sister Eriya."
She hesitated for a moment, "I am Leeona… err… just Lee, if you like…"
Eriya slid to the side of Lee as Naria did the same to the opposing right side. They both looked her over quizzically. Eriya speaking up first, "Is that big wound from the dragon Folken told us about?"
Lee brought her hand up to her face; touching the tender area gently almost having forgotten now that her full vision had been restored, despite her view from it alone seemed to be fuzzier than normal. "Yeah it is…" she said softly her voice almost a whisper.
Naria let out a small chuckle but still somewhat warming, "Don't worry it, you're here now and the wound will heal." Lee looked over to her as Naria continued, "What's this?" she placed a hand on the black wrapping.
Lee's eyes widened slightly as she quickly replied, "Just another wound…"
She nodded and began, "Oh, could I-" But her sister cut her off, "Naria, don't be nosy."
Lee relaxed a bit and chuckled reservedly. Outside the walls of this place, the sun had well set and the night past by calmly as did the conversation of these three girls.
* * *
Early that morning the young man returned to the room where the three girls had been. When he entered the already open door a smile streaked across his features, at what his eyes beheld. The three girls lay together sleeping on the cot. Lee positioned in the middle and a leopard-girl on each side of her. They laid practically side by side; Lee's head on Eriya's lap as Eriya leaned back against the wall that the cot was pushed against, and finally Naria leaned against Eriya's arm, with her own arm stretching across Eriya's lap and resting on Lee's shoulder.
Naria's eyes flickered open and she smiled a little in a tired manner, before she moved away from her sister and the girl; going to Folken's side she yawned and then bowed, "Good morning Lord."
He nodded, "Yes it is indeed."
Eriya yawned as well having been awakened by her sister's movement. Looking down at Lee as she smiled slightly then licked Lee's cheek, taking heed it was the unwounded one. Lee tensed her face for a second then sat up with a remaining serene expression on her face, though it was similar to any child's when they wake from a good night's sleep. She yawned and stretched before looking over to Folken and Naria as Eriya also made her way over as well now. Lee waited patiently on the cot assuming they'd all just leave her there again.
Folken quietly said a few words to the two for of them then spoke out louder, in his normal gentle but dominant tone, "Why don't you two go get some breakfast we'll meet up with you soon." The two leopard-girls bowed and left.
He looked over to Lee and walked over to the cot, but on his way, he leaned over to pick up a large pale feather. Sitting down on the cot, he watched the feather silently as he spun it in his fingers, then looked back down at her, "Please tell me, Little one where did you get this?"
She looked down at her hands which twitched nervously, "It belongs to me…" her voice almost a whisper.
He nodded slowly, thinking a moment first, then asked, "Leeona can you show me?"
Her lower lip quivered but she nodded, a thought racing through her head Am I going to be hated again…She closed her eyes and began to concentrate for a moment. Her jewel glowing obliviously under her raven wrapping, then two large and pale cyan blue wings sprung out from her back as a few of the feathers burst out into the air, and floated down gently.
He nodded again as a small smile was present on his visage, but still awed by this sight and the thought of somehow the existence of another at least partial draconian. She brought her wings around her sides a bit protectively and started to sob, tears threatening her eyes. "What's wrong, Little one?" He brought his hand down under her chin and pushed it up so she'd look at him.
Her tears flooded and rolled down her cheeks, pooling down on his hand, the ones from her scarred eye looked like thinned blue water. "You probably hate me now… everyone always does…" His eyes watch her closely. This child must have found much prejudice… at such a young age… Her cheeks flushed, "Are you going to send me away?"
He pulled her close and embraced her trembling body; his mechanic arm hugging her and his other hand holding her head, and gentling caressing her hair. "No child you'll be safe here, everything will be fine." She held on to him tightly as her sobs slowly ceased.
* * *
Later that day, after the morning's ordeal and the other events such as her breakfast with Naria and Eriya as well as Folken giving her a brief tour of the places she was now permitted to venture into, she walked silently down one of the many hallways; a curiosity for this place now running with her new small sense of freedom as she looked about ever now and again. Her mind was racing with thoughts and promises to herself of never again showing her wings. Naria and Eriya ran down the hallway to meet her. Eriya pushing competitively to her side leaving Naria to go to Lee's other side.
"Hey, what are you up to?" They both said in unison.
Lee shrugged her shoulders, "I don't know anything really… "
They both took one of her wrists and wearing mischievous smirks pulled her in a quick pace down the hall. Walking as they chuckled slightly.
Lee followed, in the end not having any other choice, "Where are you guys going?"
Naria looked back over her shoulder, "We want to show you something, but it won't be as good if we don't hurry."
Eriya nodded and added, "Plus, if we don't hurry the guards shifts will be already switched and they'll bother us."
After weaving down a few more corridors Naria and Eriya brought her into a large but somewhat bland room, which in turn was not one of the places on her earlier tour, but when they continued to the back of the room and through another door they emerged then into the fresh and crisp feeling of moving air. It was suddenly apparent why to Lee why they had brought her here. The three girls walked over to the banister. Looking over Lee gasped and took a step back, but stayed there with the comforting hand of Eriya's on her back, followed by Naria's hand on her shoulder. She looked over the edge again amazed at what she saw; the whole building was floating high in the air, and the mountain valley lay far below.
Naria purred softly, "Welcome to Zaibach's floating fortress, the Vione… but that's not what we wanted to show you…" Lee looked over to Naria in wonderment. How could this not be what they wanted her to see?!
Eriya patted Lee's back and pointed to the tips of the small grouping of mountains, "Watch there…"
Lee looked over curiously to the indicated area. As all three looked upon the world, the sun slowly set, and when it reached the tips off the mountains stunning rays of golden light shot out, some reflecting off parts of the fortress. The tanned orange spread out further as it was divided by the peaks, and made the snow capped summits seem to glow a magnificent light.
"It's so beautiful…" Lee murmured as her wide eyes glimmered with the light and watched in awe. The other two satisfied with her reaction smiled and nodded to one another.
It was then though, that the beauty was broken, with a sudden booming noise that broke the serene silence and the floor shook under their feet as the echoing of the large sound hollowed out. With a few more distressing sounds ringing through the air the Vione tilted and the girls slid downward as the banister leaned forward and another violent shake rocked the fortress. Lee and Naria soon regained their lost positions, but as they looked around Eriya was no longer with them, her cries having been drowned out by the rumbling sounds.
Lee's eyes widened as she frantically looked around. Naria panicked and shouted out, "Eriya! Sister, where are you?!" Eriya's voice sounded out from somewhere, but it seemed to be farther away.
Lee looked over the still slanted banister and shouted; her voice horrified as her suspicion proved true. "Naria! Naria, she's here hurry!"
Naria pulled herself up the banister and there like Lee had said was Eriya clutching on desperately to a small ledge below the ledge of the railing. Both girls dreadfully and rapidly tried to reach for Eriya. Eriya in turn tried to grab at the higher ledge or for their hands, but to no prevail as her grip kept slipping and she felt dizzy from having hit her head during the fall; the abrasion right above one of her feline eyebrows was proof of that. Naria and Lee held on tightly again as another small tremble past through the section.
Eriya held on for her life as her palms grew sweaty and her claw-like nails scraped across the stone ledge… she knew what was coming but kept trying to keep hold, "I'm loosing my grip!" Her panicked voice cried out.
Lee's mind raced for a solution and she looked around the slanted balcony for anything that could help. Her head jerking back when she swore her heart stopped for a beat as Naria's shrill cry rang out beside her, "No! Eriya!"
Lee looked back in time to see the horrified look on Eriya's face as her hands lost the ledge and her upper body fell back as she started to fall. Terror clenched her heart and she felt tight in her chest as if someone was squeezing her with a heavy hand. She exhaled heavily in shock but a voice… sweet and mild spoke to her, and only her.
`Lee… it's so very important, dear. That you never show you wings, they are beautiful… you are beautiful, but others they just don't understand. Promise me… you'll never show them, unless it's for something very imperative.'
“I'm sorry, Mama!” She said out loud, “I'm sorry I showed them before…” Without another second of thought she leapt over the banister; much to Naria's surprise and horror! She fell like a bullet her dive aimed for Eriya, but shouted out as she fell, “B-but, it's really important this time!” Tears rolled over her cheeks and fell slower then her as they became airborne. Her hands reaching down as she fell.
Eriya's expression fell from fear to shock as she stared upward to her new friend. Lee embraced Eriya's hands and pulled herself down closer, hugging her as she closed her eyes and her pale cyan wings sprung out from her back. The roaring of air past their ears stopped and Eriya's stomach seemed to churn at the sudden decline of movement. She looked down at the top of Lee's head, amazed that this smaller child could hold her, let alone had had the courage to come to her rescue. A few feathers floated down past them as Eriya still watched what little of Lee's face she could see. Her expression was astonished but very relieved. Lee's angelic wings beat the air smoothly and the girls started to rise back up towards the balcony. The two tumblers neared the balcony just as the last of the golden rays of the sun shot out from the horizon. Naria's heart had practically jumped into her throat from this all, but now she watched nervously what seemed to be a miracle.
Lee tensed her face as her expression seemed worn, but she thought to herself. Only a few more metres… I can do this… I know I can, I must As they came to the top of the edge, her wings noticeably wavered in the air now rougher and harder. Lee flowed just above the top of the railing as sweat beads gathered on her forehead. With Naria's assistance Eriya let go of Lee and was back on to the slanted balcony. Naria hugged her sister tightly before reaching an arm out to help Lee over the banister.
She smiled tiredly relieved that everything would be alright now, and she went to take Naria's hand, but her wings gave one final exhausted beat against the air and then buckled inward and she began to fall again; missing Naria's now over-extended hand by next to nothing. Her sweat-glazed hand gripped one of the banister's metal poles, but to now avail. Her hand only slid down it and released as her fist slammed into the stone ledge. Naria and Eriya watch in renewed fear as Lee began to fall roughly, her wings catching the air oddly, but giving her no advantage. Lee gave one last scared sigh that rolled out of her throat painfully before she closed her eyes. It had been too much for her to handle and now she couldn't even help herself… The whistling of the air in her ear hurt but it stopped as she felt her back graze something, then she was pulled into something warm, but firm.
Death already…? She looked up to see Folken's soft and worried expression looking down at her as he held her in his two arms. But I was falling how he could have… She looked over to the side to find one of his white wings cutting gracefully through the air. She looked back up to his face, her exhausted expression surprised and confused. "You're a draconian too?"
He nodded and rubbed her lower back gently. She put her arms around him where ever she could and in a wisp of feathers retracted her wings once again, before closed her eyes. When she felt Folken touch down she reopened her eyes to the smiling faces of Naria and Eriya who hugged and licked her cheeks when she had let go of Folken, and was safely back on the once again level balcony. All the attention of the two nearly made Lee topple over from fatigue, but she was glad as well and hugged them back. She felt now more than ever that she finally had a family…