Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Through The Glass ❯ Visions of the Damned ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*Hey everyone!! AN is down at the bottom, just to clarify- this is Dilly think/speaking, and this is Celena, k? Enjoy!!*

Chapter 3

Green, 7 moon. We're in Fanelia now; we have been for a week. Brother's so busy, he rarely has time to see me, even to share a meal. I wonder what he does while he's gone? I don't mind his absence though. He gave me some spending money to go down to the city's market. Such bright colors, and such a variety of goods and peoples!! I saw my first wolf-man today, he was selling beautiful woven rugs and lovely carved things like chairs, toys, and other useful items. The city is filled with things and people like that, there are so many interesting places, it's hard to believe that it was all ashes a few years ago. I haven't seen Lord Van yet, but Merle came to my room almost immediately. Her normal way of course- through the window. She was the one who took me around the city on the first day while the men were busy planning and arranging things. She's just as lively and talkative as ever. In one hour, I'd had a complete report of all that had happened during the months we were away, as well as a tour of all the nooks and crannies of the rebuilt kingdom. After a thoroughly exhausting afternoon, we retired to my room, where I introduced Merle to my little bird. Pandora couldn't come on this expedition- Brother said she was better left at home. Archimedes came along though- the owl seems attached to Brother's shoulder. In fact, had I not seen the owl move and eat and fly about sometimes at home, you'd think it was just a stuffed thing Brother kept as an ornament. How funny that would be! I went out again this afternoon, and when I came back Brother was in a tizzy; running about from place to place and seeming very frenzied. He was so distressed, he didn't realize that his hair was sticking out in all different directions. I smoothed it out for him though; after he saw me, he just kept saying, 'I was worried Little Bird! What if you got lost or hurt?' Honestly! As if I'm an incompetent, like I couldn't be trusted by myself. Little Bird... I suppose that's what I am to him, his little pet. Sometimes, even here where I can walk about unescorted, I feel as though I'm trapped in a gilded cage...

And I've been having those dreams again. Every night now, not occasionally anymore. Dilandau and I talk, as though we've known each other for years. Although I can hardly say I'd want to meet him in the flesh- he's rather moody and bad tempered, even after he's had several glasses to mute his harsh comments. He's been so dejected as of late- a far cry from the proud and cocky captain I'd first encountered so many moons ago in purple. He's lost everything. His slayers are gone, his ship has been crashed-even Stratgoes is missing. All he has now is a Dog-man, a gentle beast, frightful to look upon, but soft spoken and very different from the Captain he serves. I think I'd rather like him if I were to meet him in person... But Dilandau was so upset I decided it would be better if I didn't tell him I was in Fanelia- I've no idea how he'd take such news, and I'm afraid of even the thought. Instead, I told him about some of the books I've been reading, and asked him some more about Zaibach, and eventually- after four more bottles- he began to feel better, and seemed in a better, if more incomprehensible, mood. I presently came to the topic where I mentioned the fact that he no longer existed in the place where I was, and that technically it meant I was talking to a ghost that appeared in my mirror every so often, and more often in my dreams. That seemed to make him laugh, and he made fun of me, saying, 'You're a quick one, aren't you?' He knew the whole time, that mean thing! He told me he wasn't dead, just sleeping, as of sorts, waiting for his time to re-emerge. 'In the meantime, however, you're lucky enough to have me as company as you dream away while I'm trapped in my prison.' When asked if there was any particular reason why he chose my mind as his prison, he simply laughed at me again, and said to speak with Allen or Lord Van. I wonder what he meant, or why Lord Van would know...?- The maid has just called me, I'm having lunch with Brother, Lord Van, and Merle today. I wonder if they'll have the answers I seek...? Celena S.

"... And everything is in place. We're going to have a feast tonight, then the festivities begin tomorrow morning. People have come from all over, and I don't think they'll be disappointed. They deserve something like this after all that's happened." The young king took a sip from his glass as his guests sat across from him, smiling cordially. Merle began talking about one of the events she'd helped set up, and some of the games that the children would enjoy. Van and Allen spoke every so often, each promising they'd try to take time to visit the goldfish game. The cat-girl turned to ask her friend if she'd try to capture a fish as well, but then saw that the blonde was looking at the sky with a far away look on her face.

"Celena? Are you ok?" The men stopped talking and turned to Celena, who also snapped out of her thoughts to gaze at the others. Her eyes met Van's fr a moment, then she lowered them shyly.

"I'm sorry I haven't said much... I was just thinking, that's all." Allen smiled affectionately.

"You always are, Little Bird. What were you thinking about this time?" She looked him in the eye, almost defiantly, a sudden change going over her.

"I was wondering, Allen, why you didn't tell me about Dilandau. And why you, Lord Van, massacred Dilandau's men!!"The three stared at her in shock, but her timidity was gone, and she wanted to know now. Allen cleared his throat, answering nervously.

"Celena, I don't know what you're talking about-" Celena turned her glare to Van.

"He said you knew too. I don't appreciate it when something important is kept from me, Allen. Especially when they involve me, and include someone as bizzare as him. " Allen sat gaping at his little sister in his chair, unable to reply. Van was quicker to recover though, and said gently,

"You said he told you, Celena? How?" She flushed and looked into the glass of juice she'd been given, all ferocity gone. Quietly she described her many dreams, and her many interactions and talks with Dilandau. Including parts where she'd seen him in the mirror, but never knew how he'd gotten there. By the time she was done, Allen was marble white, Van was staring, and Merle bit her lip, looking upset and glancing from Van to Celena and back. After several moments of silence, Allen shook himself into speaking.

"Forgive me, Celena, I never wanted this to happen to you. I thought that if I didn't tell you you'd be able to forget and live happily.... But I was wrong. I'm sorry. I'll tell you all I know, though I must admit I don't know all that happened. I supposed this had to come out sooner or later..." With that, he launched into a story of what he'd been able to figure out with the aid of Folken, some of the sorcerers who'd been pardoned, and the cries she'd made while she was recovering form reverting the last time. While he spoke, Celena's hand traveled up her face twice, stroking a scar no longer there, but still existing somewhere deep in her mind. Memories better forgotten sprung up in her mind, making her wince several times, remembering shared pain with her other half. Who was now sending her a message, what, she didn't know, but it frightened her. Allen stopped once, offering her support as one particularly painful memory returned to her, but she waved him away to let him continue. Dilandau had been strong, so she could too. When he was done, she smiled softly, and spoke very gently, voice with a bit of a waver in it.

"Thank you, Allen. Everything makes much more sense now. But if you'll excuse me, I need to be alone for a bit." She stood up, did a quick curtsey, then rushed out of the room, the only sound to be heard were the gentle whisper of her skirts in their fleeting path. The remaining company sat for several minutes in silence, until Van spoke up.

"Well, she took that rather well- as if she was expecting something of that nature." Merle nodded, still looking at the doorway where her friend had rushed off through.

"Yeah, I'd be more surprised if I were her and someone told me something like that. I'd freak out! Your sister is really brave, Allen." The knight of Caeli nodded numbly, as if drifting in thought. He moved his gaze from the door to the window where the view was a strategic scene of the gardens and over the tall cliff to the kingdom below. He sighed, then turned to look at the young king and cat girl.

"I know. That's what I'm afraid of... Van, you don't think that Dilandau has gotten control of her, do you? He could make her run away or do something even more rash... I think I should go to her." Van didn't say anything, but watched the older man get up and leave. Merle inched closer to him, holding onto his arm protectively.

"Lord Van... if Dilandau has somehow freed himself... shouldn't you....?" He ruffled her hair affectionately, smiling lightly.

"Don't worry, Merle, I'll post more guards around Celena's room as well as my own, alright? Don't worry, I won't let anything happen to anyone, alright?"



It's an odd feeling, but I feel rather comfortable now. I always felt as though I was never fully aware of all that was in my mind, and now I recognize that shuttered region to be Dilandau's part. We both share memories, for we shared actions and emotions , but his area of my mind is not mine to see, it is his own. Brother said that the sorcerers created Dilandau using my body and some magic of some sort- but both Dilandau and I clearly remember seeing the other at that last fateful experiment. What happened in that time that neither of us can remember? I wish I knew... Tonight, when I sleep, I'll have to tell Dilandau all that I've learned, and see if there's something we can do. That's the problem, I feel that he doesn't deserve to be caged in my mind, no matter what his crimes. I know Brother doesn't like him, but maybe he'll help us because I'm his little sister... I'll have to ask him. ...I wonder if there's some way we can talk- when I'm awake, that is. Mental telepathy or something of that sort. Maybe if I tried-

"Celena? May I come in?" She put down her diary, sighing.

"If you want to. The door is open, Allen." A soft 'click' was heard, and Allen stuck his head in.

"Are you alright, Celena?" She sighed and faced him.

"I'm rather irritated with you, Allen. I can't believe you kept something like this from me-"

"I know, Celena, I'm sorry , but-"

"but you did it because you love me. I know Allen. But even so... I'm not sure whether to feel relieved that I know, or frightened because of who he- who I was. But I don't think I'll ever be afraid of him because we're so close, and since he never seems to be mean to me, I don't know what to think. But I don't think that either of us deserves to have two minds trapped in one body- I want to help him get out." Allen sighed in relief, then sat in the chair next to her bed.

"Celena, I can send for a sorcerer-"

"NO!! I remember what they did, Allen.... I don't want them to touch me!!" He nodded and pulled her close, holding her in a tight hug. She wouldn't say what they did, but he could see the fear in her eyes and that meant that they had been horrible, whatever her memories were. She buried her face in his shoulder for a moment, calming herself down, willing the bad thoughts away. When she seemed calmer, Allen asked gently,

"Would you at least talk to one? If I were in the room with you the whole time?" She looked up, hope in her tear-stained eyes.

"Would you, Brother?" He smiled and nodded, wiping away the last stains of tears from her cheeks.

"Of course. We'll see if one of the sorcerers who came to us before the war ended will come. I'm, sure one of them can help- is that what you want?" She nodded, smile beginning to creep back to face.

"But what about Lord Van? And Merle? Since they know about it, shouldn't they come?" Allen winced.

"Well... Merle would be fine, being your friend, but Van... Well, Dilandau hated Van, and I'm not sure any interaction would be wise..."

"Please, Brother, if we're going to release Dilandau, we ought to at least make him understand that I don't want him hurting anyone- Van especially. He'll listen to me, I know it. Please do what you must, but I think I'm going to rest a bit this afternoon- I want to be fresh for the feast this evening. Thank you, Brother, for telling me." Allen frowned slightly, not believing her calmness, but when she didn't say anything else, he sighed and left after giving her another quick hug. She let herself sigh once he'd gotten out of earshot, and laid herself down on her bed, thoughts whirring as though she'd been spinning very, very fast and couldn't seem to stop. Faces, names, places , smoke all billowed up in front of her eyes, and she tried blinking out the memories and tears that seemed to burst forth.

"It took you long enough."

She gasped, and realized she must've cried herself to sleep. Dilandau sat cross legged on the floor of a cage- it closely resembled the hanging cages of Zaibach, only his was on the ground. He looked up and smirked as she knelt down to speak with him at eye level. She touched the bars tentatively, studying them closely. "Why are you in there, Dilandau?" He looked at her and laughed rather dejectedly.

"This is what the sorcerers used to keep our minds apart. They also had a wall of some sort of magical mist- a wall of interception so that we would have no recollection of each other if this happened, but you cleared that away when you visited.... Van last purple. He triggered a memory of mine, which thinned the cloud enough for me to awaken, and for you to start seeing my memories in the form of dreams. As soon as I was fully awake, I started to send you more dreams, to try to tell you. But you were too daft- you had to have your brother tell you. Figures." He "hmphed", but she grew angry even as he spoke.

"You sent me all those nasty dreams, just to try to tell me?? Why couldn't you tell me right up-front??" He laughed, a bit of his older self coming through.

"Would you believe a voice in your head if it told you that you'd spent 10 years of your life as the captain of the Dragonslayers- male, no less? Besides, I needed to clear away the rest of the mist, and grow stronger so I could talk to you more effectively. And I was bored. That was probably the main reason." He laughed again even as she scowled angrily, getting ready to yell at him good and properly.

"You...you... you..!! AGH!! You frustrate me so!!" He simply smiled, teeth flashing in his feral grin. She sniffed and stood, turning to go.

"If you keep laughing, I'll just leave and you'll be all alone again, do you want that?" His laughter stopped, and his voice grew soft and low.

"Don't leave me alone." She turned to look at him. His features were harsh and demanding, but his eyes were showing a desperate plea and fear that she knew all too well. She sat down again, studying the bars again.

"So ,what would happen if these were to go away?" He shrugged, a bit more relaxed after she'd sat down again and after realizing that she wouldn't leave.

"I dunno. I think we'd be able to talk all the time, even when you were awake. And maybe be able to switch from body to body. I don't know. But since the sorcerers were the ones who captured my being and put it into your body, I haven't a clue as to how to get rid of them anyway. Who knows, we could merge minds if we did manage to get rid of them. But it doesn't matter. Your brother's bringing a sorcerer to see you and he'll help erase me completely. Then, you'll be free.' He seemed to brood on this for several minutes, and she whispered softly,

"Dilandau, I don't want to see the sorcerer." He nodded, and replied,

"Neither do I." she spoke again.

"I'm frightened." Again, a nod.

"I am too."



We sat for some time, neither saying anything as we brooded over our fates. It was all so sudden, I didn't know what to think. The idea of a sorcerer getting rid of the intruder in my mind was like a relief, but when I looked over and saw him, sitting there so quietly, I immediately felt ashamed. He sat chewing his lip, hands tucked tightly under his knees, staring at his feet. If I had any mind in the matter, I bet he was thinking about the slayers. Then, a twinge of regret struck my own heart. They had been my slayers too- Dilandau was fond of them; he had had an almost brotherly love towards them, but I had loved them as though I had been their mother. 'Maternal instinct', I thought. Dilandau wasn't fatherly to them, but like a strict hen over her chicks. I supposed that had been my influence over the matter..

I watched him for a bit longer, then stared down at my own hands clenched tightly in my lap. I realized then that I didn't want to lose him- not like this. I had just regained my past and was already making plans to get rid of all I had left. I looked back up at him suddenly. "I'm not going to let the sorcerer destroy you. We've got to free you by ourselves, and we'll start with these bars. Now stand up and help me." He looked at me in shock- I suppose it was because I was never bossy, and I was acting a bit out of character. He simply looked down at the floor again, looking more like the time that all of his slayers had left him.

"It'll only work if you have enough power to do it, and you don't. I've accepted my fate, now leave me alone." He gasped as I reached through the bars and grabbed him by the collar.

"Do you want to be killed off, and then leave me all alone?" He frowned, trying to shrug out of my grip.

"You've got your brother- you don't need me..." I refused to let him go, in fact, I tightened my grip.

"I don't care if you care or not. Though I can't believe you're just going to let them win like this. But I don't want you dead. I want you alive and well, in your own body. As I look back on all our body's been through, you're more of a brother to me than Allen at times. Now stop feeling sorry for yourself and help me break these bars!!" He stared at me, then his grin crept back onto his face. I let him go and we both stood, attacking a bar, kicking and pushing and running up into it. It didn't budge for the longest time, then, Dilandau put up a hand and we stopped our attack. The bar was fractured- a good kick from one of his steel tipped boots would do the trick. Dilandau backed up, and jump-kicked the metallic pole, sending the pieces to the floor. The pain was so immense we both toppled to the floor in surprise. But it subsided quickly, and we both got to our feet gingerly. Dilandau grinned ferally, and laughed.

"We only need one more to go until jailbreak- this'll hurt; don't chicken out on me!!" I responded by returning his grin and kicking the next bar with all my strength. He laughed again, then we set to work on getting rid of out last obstacle. The pain was building, and every tiny crack was another wave of pain surging through my mind. I almost fell twice, but I saw Dilandau gritting his teeth and bearing it, so I vowed to do so as well soon after the second jolt of pain there was a loud cracking noise, and we both shouted in surprise and pain as the last remaining pieces of the bar fell away. Dilandau grabbed my arm as I fell to the floor, and I noted distantly happily that he had gotten out of the cage. His face over mine, his words were lost to me as I was slowly being woken up.

Allen was gently shaking his sister, a worried look on his face. "Celena? Celena!! Wake up!!" She moaned softly and sat up, eyes blinking and hand on her head.

"Owww.... what is it Allen? What do you want? He seemed taken aback by her grumpiness, and continued.

"It's time to get ready for the feast. Are you alright? You seem pale." She rubbed her head gently, an odd expression on her face. She paused for a minute, and then a small smile spread across her face and she responded.

"I'm sorry to have worried you, Brother- I have a bad headache, that's all. I didn't sleep well." He looked even more concerned than before, however, and put a hand on her shoulder.

"Do you not feel well enough to go? Do you want me to stay with you? Should I get a doctor to-"

"No Allen. I'm fine, really. I 'll be fine in a bit, Brother, I just need to get dressed. That will clear my head." He still seemed dissatisfied with this answer, however, he didn't get a chance to respond because she jumped out of bed and looked at him strictly. "Brother. I understand your attachment to your knight's costume, but tonight, can't you wear something other than black pants, white shirt, and blue over coat?" She fussed over him until he found himself bustled out the door with a promise to change into something more suitable when he got to his rooms. Sighing, she shut the door and leaned against it, rubbing her aching brow.

Thank the Gods he's gone!! Celena frowned, walking over to the mirror. A boy's face looked back at her, smiling. She glared at him and replied.

Don't you ever speak of Brother like that! He's been through a lot too. I can't wait until we figure out how to separate our bodies- you're already making me mad!

Do you really think that Allen or Van will let me live once I'm free? I know he's your brother, but think logically. He doesn't want me playing with his little sister's life or mind, so the sooner I'm gone, the better. She sighed, looking through a series of dresses for that night.

Then I'll run away. We'll figure out some way to separate without the help of the sorcerers. We'll find someone who can help us. He laughed as she thought this.

Typical weak woman thought. She frowned, holding up a blue dress in front of the mirror. Dilandau didn't look very good in it, and he scowled as she smirked at the sight of him holding a dress up to himself.

Do you have any better ideas?

No. But you should wait a few days. Security will lax around our room, then- with my help, of course- we can slip away.

I wish there was someone we knew who could help us...

There is, and they will. If not for my sake, then for yours. But you have to trust me, Celena.

I do, Dilandau. I trust you. You're all I've got left.

*Well? How'd you like it? Sorry this took so long to get up, I noticed a few days ago I haven't posted anything since July!! Gomen Mina!! There is some good news though!! I've finished writing this fic, now all I have to do is type it... I'll have more soon, promise!! R/R, tell me what you think!! ~SirLadySketch~*