Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Through The Glass ❯ Visions of the Road ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*AN- Wow! People actually want to read more!! ^_^ I'm trying to get bit by bit done, just keep writing and harassing me, nk? I'll get it done quicker if I know there're actually people who want it finished... Not that I won't put it ll up anyway, I just like motivation! And is this a Celena/Dilly romance...? No! It's a Sam/Celena romance!! Hahahaha ..ha..haha...ha.... Ok, so maybe that wasn't funny... But! >Grins evilly< You'll all just hafta wait and see... or vote on it after I've posted the end of this story. Big thanks to those who've reviewed, especially Normalisboring and Phantom Angel () You guys are great!! >^_^< Enjoy!! ~SLS~* Drat it all.... for some reason, the italics and bold aren't working.. >.< For this ch, >this is Dilly speaking< //This is Celena//, /this is a flashback/ ok? Sorry 'bout that...

Visions of the Road

Sam led a fairly uneventful life. Oh, it had its ups and downs like any other, but it was still fairly monotonous. He ran a small inn on the edge of the Fanelian capitol's main road headed towards Freid, which was only a few days travel from his inn. But it hadn't been so bad as of late- not with the festival and everything going on. He'd gotten more patrons this past few weeks then he'd had in the previous months combined. Odd people of all sorts had shown up demanding food, ale, a room, and sometimes all three. Dogmen from the forests surrounding the area, Cat people from the far desert regions of Freid, the bizzare Fish people of the Nautilis islands, Bird people from Astoria's mountain regions, then the normal humans who came from various class status; thief to earl or duke, all were welcome in Sam's small tavern, as long as they could pay. And so, when business was slowing down one night and he had little else to do, Sam studied the odd woman who'd come to his inn. She was very pale, and spoke very little the whole night, save that she wanted food, ale, a room and a wakeup call the next morning. One man had been stupid enough to approach her, despite the fact that she made all the signs of wanting to be alone, and he received a broken nose and a split lip. Sam's interest was peaked, but when asking the lady about her business, she simply looked at him, then paid for her food and went up to the room he'd given her. The only thing he'd gotten from her was that she was from Fanelia, and she had a sick cousin in Freid whom she needed to visit quickly. He sat back, drying a shot glass as he recalled her response.

/"So, what's a lovely lady such as yourself doing all alone on the road?" She's laughed at this, and sipped some of her ale. He'd never seen any woman able to consume as much as she and still retain a sharp edge. He'd been slightly chilled when she looked at him at first, then her eyes softened and she laughed, a tinkling sound that reminded him of a songbird's call.

"I'm not as alone as you'd think... Besides, I can take care of myself."

"So I see. I think you broke that man's nose, you know." She laughed bitterly.

"He deserved it." Sam shook his head, sighing.

"I am sorry about him, Miss. Not many around here hold their ale and wits in balance. I'm glad you weren't hurt." She smiled but didn't speak, then indicated she wanted another. He refilled her mug, and she spoke before taking a sip.

"My... cousin is ill. He lives in Freid, near the ancient city of Godashim. I want to go... and see if he's alright. I'm worried... he's like a brother to me." A tear rolled down her cheek, and he could barely hear her say the name 'Allen' before wiping it away and resuming her blank expression. "I need you to wake me at the break of dawn. And I want breakfast ready for me when I'm downstairs, as I said before, I'm in a rush." /

He'd agreed and served her dinner, then she'd retreated to her room after he pursued her answers still further, not convinced. 'Probably running form the law, poor little thing. I wish her the best of luck, wherever she's going' Sam's mind was then taken off of his pale customer when a group of men came in, sitting down noisily and calling for beer. Sam hastily filled them mugs, and soon forgot about the girl in the fray of his business.

I closed the door to the room, sighing as I locked it shut.

>Well, that was rather touching. What an idiot, he actually believed you! You should become an actress! Tears and everything, you did almost as well as I would've done. <

I tugged off my boots with carelessness, throwing them in a heap by the bed along with my pack and cloak. I changed into one of the shirts I'd "borrowed" from Allen, then I sunk onto the inviting bed which was screaming out my name. Dilandau, who didn't appreciate being ignored, scowled at me from the grimey mirror in the corner.

>What's the matter? You're not chickening out on me now, are you? Want to go back after only a day of riding? That's pathetic. You-I<

//Be quiet, Dilandau. I'm tired, and I don't feel like dealing with you. I've had a bad day, and your muttering is keeping me awake when all really want to do is go to sleep. And I wasn't acting. Do you have any idea what I'll go back to, once this is all over? But of course you do, you had to deal with gardening for two years as well. Allen will be furious with me, I doubt I'll ever go outdoors without a chaperone again after this. He'll probably try to marry me off, but who would have me? He's worried about his reputation, and I have basically none whatsoever, although maybe a negative one. And after today... people will think that I ran away from Allen because he's cruel, but he isn't!! I'm destroying everything he's worked so hard for, just by being here now. Do you realize that, Dilandau?//

>..You worry too much.<

//Do I? I mysteriously reappear one day with amnesia and sick. Allen spent time with me then, nursing me back to health. Everything he's ever done for me was just for my own good. And how do I repay him? Dilandau, do you think he really hates me now? Does he regret me coming back? I mean-//

>Don't even think that. Any fool can see how much he loves you, Celena. Or Maybe every fool except you.< He didn't say anything else, and I was grateful for the silence while it lasted. We were both quiet for a while, but when I looked back into the mirror, he was still looking at me. >You know that you can come with me. You can leave with me and we'll find somewhere far away from here, maybe on one of the smaller continents. Somewhere far from Allen, the sorcerers, ....Van, Astoria, Freid, Fanelia. We can leave it all behind, and make a new life. <I studied his eyes for several moments, trying to read them, but despite our similarities, I could not read those burning garnets that were studying me. I gave him a light smile, not sure if I really believed what I said.

//But then who would take care of Allen?//

He laughed, to my surprise, and sat up on the bed, even though I chose to remain sprawled out. I guess he had liberties when he wasn't confined to the body; his image could do whatever it wanted. He checked the door again, then sat in a chair positioned in the corner that would allow him to see the whole 'room'.

>You're right. Allen couldn't take care of himself if all he ever needed was handed to him on a silver platter. Now, get some sleep. I want the body to be fresh tomorrow, because it's my turn. <I laughed as well, getting under the covers and closing my eyes.

//I'm no the one keeping the body awake.// I fell asleep wondering what any normal person would think if they were to listen to our conversations. They'd probably think me mad. I wonder how far from the truth that would be?

~

"Miss? Miss, I'm here to give you your wakeup call. You said you wanted to be up now, and well, it's dawn so-"

"I heard you the first time. I'm awake, now go make me breakfast." A gruff voice from inside cut Sam off short, and made him shiver as he heard it. He ran off down the stairs to do as he'd been ordered, rationalizing in his mind that her voice was so rough because she'd just woken up, and her rude attitude was either from a hangover or women's issues. He decided he wouldn't ask her when she came down, and he'd pretend nothing had happened. When the cloaked figure did finally come down the stairs, she looked tired, though a bit taller, and he spoke cheerfully as she sat down at the table to eat the breakfast he was laying down for her.

"Sleep well, Miss?" He almost jumped out of his skin when she looked up and he found himself looking at a he. Red eyes burned with unnatural light as they glared up at him, and though a blank expression was held, Sam felt himself begin to tremble and wish himself back up in bed. The boy who was definitely NOT the girl seethed.

"What did you just call me?" Sam shivered, wishing to run off and hide, maybe behind one of the larger barrels in the cellars. Sam spoke as steadily as he could manage, though he still shook in fear.

"F-forgive me, S-sir. I mistook you for the young lady who was-"

"In the room last night? My sister, Celena? She left last night, and I'm going to leave soon as well. If you know what's good for you, you'll go and refill my mug now, peon." Sam scuttled off with the mug, refilling it to the brim and then hovering in the shadows, not sure if he should stay or run off. The boy did look remarkably like the girl, except he had a scar running down his cheek, and his eyes looked like those of a madman- a far cry from the girl the night before. The boy finished the meal with relish, then stood to go, throwing a few pieces of gold on the table. As he walked out, Sam ventured a single question.

"What about the lady?" The boy laughed, walking out to the stables. Sam, not sure what possessed him to do so, followed to get his answer. The boy was tacking the horse when Sam came to the door of the barn, and stared hollowly at him as he watched the bridle slip over the stallion's jet black head. The boy finished loading the gear onto the white horse the girl 'Celena' had ridden in on, and he led the two outside, brushing past Sam without a word. When Sam opened his mouth to speak again, the boy put his back to him and swung up on the black horse, then turned to put an angry eye on him. A low, menacing growl cut through the fog that misted the ever- lightening sky.

"Don't speak of me to anyone, or I will personally come back and slit your throat. Don't worry yourself over the girl, she's safe, and that's all you need to know." Sam moved to hold him a moment later to ask him about the payment for the lodgings when he heard the hiss of steel being withdrawn, and felt an icy sword point against his throat. He looked up at the boy, and found him smiling with an insane look in his eyes; a bloodlust that was never sated. He brought up his arm to sever the poor innkeeper's head, but hesitated, then laughed; a deep, menacing sound that rang through the trees, and echoed through one's very soul. Sam fell to the ground, having fainted from fear. The boy sped off into the woods, knowing all too well the many miles that lay ahead of him on his journey.

//That was rather interesting, Dilandau. Why didn't you kill him then and there? I know you wanted to.// The girl's voice rang through his mind with an edge of laughter to it, perhaps because she knew how much she was irritating him and how much he wished he could throttle her neck to keep her quiet. He couldn't though, and she was enjoying this tremendously. //Dilandau!! You're not the same!! You're slipping! What would the men say, if they knew you let someone who was bothering you live?//

>Shut up! You know very well why I didn't kill him, it hasn't changed in the five minutes you asked me earlier. I don't want to go around needlessly killing people, because though it would let me blow some steam, it would also be the equivalent of standing on top of a cliff waving an enormous flag and shouting, 'Here I am, Allen! Come and get me!' My men would know that I'm not stupid, and they'd also know that if they even thought I was slipping, they'd get a slap for being troublesome.<

//You really miss, them, don't you?// He didn't answer, but she hadn't expected him to. He rode in silence, dressed a bit oddly had there been anyone to remark upon it. Though Dilandau had grown since the last time he was free, he was still nowhere near the height of the knight of Caeli, and his 'brother's' clothes hung loosely on him, covered by a large, black cloak that was more in fashion for women then men, though still acceptable for both sexes. He'd managed to buy some more suitable boots for himself since Celena's were too small and Allen's were too big, but the puffy poet's blouse and the baggy pants irritated him none the less. He'd also bought a small dagger for cooking, and a short sword that was easily hidden in the voluminous cloak from a merchant who had been making his way towards the inn as they left it. But Dilandau wasn't even happy when he felt protected again. He'd complained to no end about his hair- he didn't like the fact that Celena had allowed her hair to grow past her shoulders, but she wouldn't hear of it being cut.// I refuse to even consider it! It took me two years to reach that length, and you're not going to ruin all my efforts with a swing of the sword. Deal with it for a few days, and tie it back if it bothers you that much. Allen has long hair, and so do a lot of men these days. I mean, think about it, there was Dryden, Dalet, and Viole, and-// She hadn't gotten any further, because he'd said to forget it, and they rode in silence for a long time, neither very happy with the other. They'd only met one other being while on the road; a lone wolfman with a cart of goods for the fair. He greeted Dilandau cheerfully, despite the early mist that still hung about them, and Dilandau answered with a curt nod. Soon afterwards, when the wolfman was out of sight, they passed through the trees and off the road to avoid being seen by anyone else. The day dragged on, and by the time it was noon, Celena was whiny and Dilandau wished more vehemently that he could throttle her neck without hurting himself in turn.

//Dilandau!!!! How much longer 'til you stop?? I'm tired, you're tired, I'm hungry and you're hungry, heck, we haven't stopped at all since we left!! I wanna get up and walk around, and we've had to go to the bathroom for over an hour now!! So stop so you can walk around and pee!// He grabbed the reins and kicked the horse even more, defiantly ignoring her.

>No. Learn to deal with discomfort. You can go after I've had lunch and need to rest for a bit, not before then. Now quit your whining! No slayer ever whined half as much as you do, and they were severely punished when they showed weakness. Now be quiet!< She was, for a time, then she perked up and started a new conversation with cheerful laughter.

//Ever think about the rain? Or the sea? Or waterfalls and streams and lakes and rivers? All that water, flowing and gushing and running, dripping and-//

>ARRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!<

Ten minutes later, after a brief walk and rest stop, Dilandau was back in the horse, glowering angrily and sitting stiffly as he suffered the humiliation of defeat.

>Are you happy now?< A sickeningly sweet reply answered

//Very! Thank you!!//

Allen sat worn and withdrawn in the inn, now rather drunk and miserable. Merle- who'd been sent after him when the knight had dashed off after his sister without supplies: no gear- not even shoes. Merle had had to convince him to return to get the things he'd forgotten, then had followed him upon Van's request. Two days had gone by, and they were still only a few hours ride from the capitol. The knight was depressed, and the alcohol he was consuming didn't make his mood lighten any more. Little did they know, they were in the same tavern that his sister had left behind only the day before. It wasn't until the barkeep talked to him that Allen began to feel hope again.

"Don't tell me- you've got a relative that's sick in Fried, right?" Allen looked at the man blearily, and Merle shook her head.

"No, his little sister is missing. Why do you ask?" Sam scratched his chin.

"Well, you're the second customer who's been leaving Fanelia instead of going to it. And you look somewhat like the girl who was leaving for Freid, said she had a sick cousin named Allen there. She left in the middle of the night, but her twin brother came to collect her things and left early in the morning. I dunno, you just reminded me of them, 'cept they were all pale like and stuff."

"You shawwwmfwhuat?" Sam nodded, accustomed to the drunken slurs of men who've had too many mugs of ale.

"Two people, said they were brother and sister- or at least he said it. Must've been twins, they looked the same, 'cept the boy had a scar down his cheek." Merle gasped and Allen miraculously recovered- well, he sobered up slightly, at any rate. He began to form coherent sentences; unfortunately, they were long strings of curses, and Merle blushed, heading him towards the room they'd asked for, after repeatedly apologizing to Sam and telling Allen to control himself. Sam shook it off with a laugh, and told them good night. When they reached the room, Merle closed the door and watched the knight lower himself onto his bed, hand over his eyes.

"So... you think that was them?" The knight nodded slowly, his expression grim beneath his hand.

"Yes. Dilandau has gotten free." Merle gasped.

"We've got to go back and warn Lord Van!!"

"Go ahead. I'm going to find my little sister, then pull that demon from her with my own bare hands, even if it kills me. We'll head out early tomorrow, and ride hard to catch up with them."

"But we don't even know where they're headed in Freid!!"

"We'll find them."

*A/N- I know, I know, another cliffhanger, gomen, Minna-san! I'm afraid I was gonna have this done last Thursday, but then my computer caught not one, but two, yes TWO viruses, and it wasn't cured until Sunday evening. And now I'm sick >.< So, you can thank the flu or whatever I've got for this coming out so soon, I had time to work on it today. So, just hope my fever holds and I'll be sick tomorr- no, wait a minute! Don't hope I'm sick tomorrow, just hope I get free time to get out ch 7, Visions of Love. I'll leave y'all with that to chew on >you know, wondering who the title's referring to< and with a funny little side note to tell you that I can't count, and that there're only 10 chapters, not 15. The pathetic thing is, I wasn't sick when I'd counted 15, and I'm sick now and I've only found there to be 10 chapters. Unless I plan to do a sequel, but you the readers will decide if that's happening or not! So, you know the drill, R/R!! SirLadySketch@home.com 12-11-01*