Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Through The Glass ❯ Visions of the Dead ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*Note on this Chapter PLEASE READ!!! Alright, everyone, we're one the first of the last three parts of the last chapter... I hope that made sense. Oh well if it didn't. I'm writing the note here because I want to warn you all: This is the pivotal point of the story; you're either going to love what's about to happen, or hate it. But, I think I've warned you all before- I a hopeless romantic, and happy endings are important...at least for this part of the story. So if you don't like what I've done, I just wanna say I'm sorry if you don't like it, but at least have the decency to tell me so in a review. And finish the story. Who knows? I've read stories that I hate what the author's done, but I love the ending. And yes, before you all ask, "Reflections of the Heart", the sequel to "Through The Glass", HAS been completed, and yes, I've got a sad ending for it. For those of you who hate happy endings, keep reading 'til then, those of you who DO like happy endings... Keep reading, I've got a happy ending too. You'll get to finish the story the way you want it, but you've gotta go all the way through! ^_^ That being said and done, I'm going to say more stuff, but down at the bottom. So, y'all enjoy and tell me whatcha think, nk? ~SirLadySketch~

Visions of the Dead

I don't know how long I laid in bed, passing from dreams into reality and back. I couldn't tell the difference, everything was confusing and blurred, and I was still so tired, I didn't really care if what I saw was real or not. Allen, Dilandau, Van, Hitomi, Merle, Rusent, and even some of the Crusaders swam into my vision once or twice, but if they'd said anything to me, I'd forgotten it by the time I'd woken up again. My first concrete memory was waking up to shouting in the hall, a splitting headache, and a cat curled under my arm. I slipped out of bed, disturbing Pandora but recognizing the voices in the hall, and I crept to the door to open it a crack. Allen was standing, angry and ready to chop off his adversary's head with his sword. Dilandau, for his part, looked as though he was getting equally as furious, and he kept eyeing the candelabra on one of the shelves to his right, no doubt planning to use it as a weapon against my brother by bashing it down on my Brother's perfect-looking-as-usual head. I heard a little of what they said before I stepped out into the hall to address the issue.

"Allen, keep your sword where it is and stop shouting. Dilandau, don't you dare touch the candlestick, and calm down. Now, Brother, why can't Dilandau come visit me, and Dilandau, why haven't you cut your hair?" Allen flushed at this, still angry with the boy in front of him, but ashamed that he'd awoken me.

"Celena, I'm sorry to have disturbed you. Return to your bed, you shouldn't be up yet! You're still unwell! I'll deal with this problem and-"

"Problem, am I?? Is THAT why you had my vino drugged?? Honestly, Allen, you should give me more credit. I can tell if my vino's been tempered with, or I wouldn't be here today." Allen muttered something under his breath about that being a shame, and Dilandau exploded, getting ready to lunge at his throat. I sucked in as much breath as I could, and allowed my migraine to do the talking.

"QUIET BOTH OF YOU!" They stopped, miraculously, and looked at me closely. I think my eyebrow twitched for at least five minutes while I tried to regain my calm and dignity. I turned to my brother, who stood tall and fair- if a little tired looking- and asked cooly, "alright, Allen, you first. Why can't Dilandau come see me?" Allen straightened, trying to gather as much charm as was possible in his flustered state- a trick I'd seen him use on various ladies of the court whose fathers , brothers, or husbands had power in the court of the king. I'd be damned if I was going to be charmed into being happy by my own brother-even if I knew he looked better than I did in the state I was in.

"I wanted you to get your rest, Celena. You're still recuperating, so you don't need any visitors. Besides, I strictly forbid him from leaving his room after... an earlier incident. " I cocked my head, trying to see if he'd continue, but he fell silent, so I turned to Dilandau.

"Why haven't you cut your hair? I thought you hated looking like Allen!" Dilandau's eyes flashed, and he began to stroke his cheek softly. *Oh dear...* I thought. *It's got something to do with Van...* Dilandau looked past me, and I could tell he was recounting earlier events, and he was beginning to forget where he was. A familiar grin crept over his face, and I could see Allen stiffen as Dilandau told me his side of the story. * I didn't want to relax this morning anyway...* I thought in irritation.

"When I woke up, I was in a room all alone. The door was locked, so of course I picked it and let myself out. I did- as I told you before- want to do something about my hair, so I headed to Allen's room to find my dagger. I was going through his things, and I found a small sword in the back of one of his closets. I was going to use it right then, but at the moment I drew it out of it's sheath, Van came into the room looking for Allen, and, well.... " He shrugged sheepishly, and I was torn between wanting to smack him and roll my eyes. He continued on, anger returning and throwing death glares at Allen. "Allen came in a few minutes later, and threw me back in my room with babysitters at my door. He didn't believe that it was just instinct kicking in-"

"Instinct?? You tried to kill the King of Fanelia- in MY bedroom no less!! Chasing a guest of my home with a knife is instinct?? You had that look in your eyes again! How was I supposed to believe you were trying to give yourself a haircut when you were chasing Van around my bed with a drawn blade??" The two began to bicker again, one snarling nasty remarks as the other peered down and glowered angrily. I pushed past the both of them and continued on my way down the hall, deciding it might be better to try to run away again then have to listen to the two. Allen hated Dilandau and my protection of him; Dilandau hated Allen, Van, the sorcerer, Gaddess, the rest of the Crusaders, all of Asturia in general, politicians, lazy soldiers, People who tried to boss him around, bad vino, disobedient servants, incompetents, and, above all, the colour pink. Not to mention lacy nightgowns. Allen tried calling me back, saying it wasn't proper for a lady to go about in her night clothes, but I told him that seeing as it was my house too, and that I didn't want to hear the two of them fighting any more, I just wanted to go outside and try to get some fresh air without anyone hovering over me, I could go around in whatever the hell I wanted, so help me, and if anyone got in my way they'd regret it, don't think about sending the men out after me I'm not going to do anything and I would make them want to flee Asturia if they bothered me, and where were the painkillers when you need them, I had a splitting headache and their shouting wasn't helping so be quiet and leave me alone!!

After that, needless to say, everyone pretty much avoided me the rest of the day.

I eventually sat Dilandau down and I got to cut his hair. I don't think he trusted anyone else with a knife near his head, and there weren't any volunteers for the job or complaints by the men when I said what I was going to do- except for Allen, but I decidedly ignored him and went in anyway. It had taken me fifteen minutes to convince the "babysitters"- as Dilandau called them- outside of his room to let me go into the room, and fifteen more when they saw the knife. In the end, Tio sat in the corner of the room as I sat Dilandau on a chair, and went to work on Dilandau's hair. I'm not going to pretend I had fun- He complained about my beautician skills and said he'd rather have his head shaved than have to deal with the haircut I gave him, but in the end the result was -in my opinion- flattering. It was somewhat like Chesta's haircut- almost a bowl-cut, but a little longer. And Chesta's hair never looked disheveled. Dilandau's had always been perfect too, but I guess he'd gotten a little bit of my hair's unruliness when we split, because it fell into spikes across his brow, and his bangs didn't curl the way they'd used to. After looking himself over in the mirror another time, he scowled, saying he could've done better, but this would have to do. As I cleaned up the area and left, I know I caught a glimpse of him smirking and looking at himself again in the mirror- he denied it, of course, but I knew that deep down inside, he really liked it. `*' I left with a promise to try to dig up a diadem of some sort for him, though he muttered something about not wanting to wear my "god-damned princess crown". I guess he'd gotten some memories of my younger days when I'd played "dress-up as a princess", and that he remembered that the only crowns I had were all a bright and cheerful pink colour. Oh well. I liked him without the crown anyway.

Dilandau scowled down into his food, stirring it in disgust. He pushed away what he hadn't touched, then turned to look out the window for the hundredth time that day. What else was there for him to do? Allen had him locked up all day with guards outside his door- armed guards, or there wouldn't be a problem- and Celena was still somewhat weak from the separation. He wanted to scoff at her weakness, to allow his old self the satisfaction of knowing that he hadn't changed a bit. But he didn't. He had changed, for better or worse, both physically and emotionally, and he worried about her. She had never been strong to begin with, and with the damned sorcerer wandering the house freely, who knew what was going on? He hadn't forgotten Rusent's passing remark about kidnaping Celena again- he might have lost some of his old traits, but he still had an excellent memory. Being kissed by someone who thinks you're someone else was something was something he'd probably never forget, despite his attempts. He also remembered his words to the sorcerer when he fled into the night a week ago already: The heavens will weep when they see what I've done to you. Dilandau smirked at the words, a flicker of his former bloodlust curling his lip. Well, he could use his time in captivity to contemplate how to fulfil his promise. His lovely visions of death and destruction were interrupted when a soft rap on the door alerted him to Celena's presence. She winced somewhat as she walked in, and he was startled to find himself hearing voices; more specifically, Celena chastising him.

*For Gods' sakes, Dilandau, don't you ever stop thinking about war?* She frowned at him, as though she hadn't realized she'd sent the thought to him, and opened her mouth to speak her mind. He beat her to the chase, however, awarding him with a look of quickly covered shock and pride.

/I'm just passing time planning my next move, that's all. Does it bother you that much?/ She didn't say anything, and he raised an eyebrow at her, until he realized she was guarding her words. Gaddess stood in the doorway, frowning as though he didn't approve of Dilandau's very existence- which he probably didn't- nor did he like Celena involving herself with an ex-general of Zaibach. He said nothing however, just stood there and waited for Celena to speak. She drew herself up, trying to make herself look condescending and reproving.

"Dilandau, you haven't touched your lunch. Aren't you hungry?" *You could have at least told me you could read my thoughts. Now I need to learn how to block you out, and I needed another thing to worry about.*

"No, I'm not." /I didn't know, it must be because you're getting stronger, and because we're at such close range. And why would you want to block me out? Don't like me checking up on you?/ Her lip twitched, but she didn't break her stern countenance.

"Well, that's too bad. Allen said that you could join us for dinner tonight, but if you're not feeling up to it, I don't want you to feel like you have to come." * And Van's going to be there. You MUST promise me you won't try to dig out his heart with a butter knife* He sat for a few moments, absorbing this information, still and contemplative. Gaddess shifted uncomfortably, unhappy to be stuck here, but loyal to his promise to Allen to make sure "that psychotic pyromaniac son of a dragon welp" didn't touch the boss' sister. He silently cursed at his pathetic loyalty to the Schezar family, and wondered again why he'd never taken that job as a sailor instead of joining the band of thieves under Allen. Celena and Dilandau remained oblivious to his warring within himself, so caught up in their own conversation.

*I mean it, Dilandau. Van will be there, don't go after him.*

/....../

*Dilandau?*

/What about a spoon or a fork?/

*DILANDAU!!!!!*

/ I'm joking, relax. Van has nothing to fear of me. Rusent, on the other hand..../ He chuckled, rubbing his scar absently. Gaddess snapped to attention at this, breaking away from his fantasies of having a mermaid girlfriend, and standing tall again.

"Miss Celena?" She stood, looking down at Dilandau with a frown.

"We will miss your attendance tonight-"

"I'm coming." She smiled a little then, and turned on her heel.

"Good. Then we'll see you tonight. In the meantime, you can show us you're strong enough to attend by finishing your lunch." He sat in shock for a moment, then scowled at her retreating form.

/Bitch/

Dinner went as was expected- fairly poorly. Van and Dilandau kept sending death glares at each other from time to time; Hitomi kicking Van under the table, and Celena shouting at Dilandau through their newly rediscovered private communication channel. Allen tried to keep his eye from twitching when Dilandau muttered some rather unflattering remarking about his 'brother', and the sorcerer ate without speaking or making eye contact with anyone. The conversation fell to the ladies then, if slightly forced at least civil and pleasant. Merle was the only one successful in saying anything of interest, as Celena had never liked social events, and Hitomi was afraid she'd make a comment that would anger the sorcerer or piss off Dilandau. The conversation moved from weather to gossip to the current status of the various smaller countries surrounding Zaibach after the fall of the empire. Rusent spoke often then, explaining how many of the "top minds"- sorcerers- of Zaibach had "relocated"- fled- to the southern countries, and how he'd ended up in the kingdom of Cyriell as a healer, later to become high healer of the northern region. He told them about how the newly dubbed "healers" were doing what they could to help the ailing King of the country, and how they were trying to help the King's daughter with her royal burdens of ruling. Dilandau made a scoffing sound at that, muttering about how they'd take over the little country for their own means within the year, and Rusent showed his first signs of temper with a few curt words of Dilandau's origins. Van did an astonishing thing- He came to Dilandau's defense by saying that it did seem rather opportunistic of the Sorcerers to arrive when the kingdom was somewhat weak, and that they might inadvertently end up taking command when the king died. Rusent began to forget his composure and manners entirely, and the evening would have been completely shot if Allen had not asked Rusent to tell them of the things he did as a healer- if he used magic, or simply herbs and medicines. Rusent cooled and collected himself again, his composure returning to smug satisfaction.

"We do what we can, how we can, Sir Allen. In simple cases, a remedy of herbs and medicines can be applied, and the patient recovers normally. However, in situations like your sister's, magic must be used to a certain degree to cut down on the possibilities of error. A mistake, in this case, the formation of Dilandau, is not entirely uncommon, though somewhat discouraging. In the future, we will not alow such grievous defects in our spells-"

"A "grievous defect" am I? Let me show you what your 'grievous defect' can-"

"Dilandau." Celena's hand tugged at his arm, trying to bring him back down to his seat, but he shook her off and left the table angrily. Allen stood to stop him, but Dilandau faced him before the knight could speak.

"Relax Allen. It's not like I've got anywhere to run to, and you've got guards every ten feet. I'm not going anywhere."

Allen stood still for a moment, trying to decide if it was wise to allow him about the house by himself, then sat down again with a sigh."I'm not worried about that," he muttered under his breath. "I just don't want my house burned to the ground..."

Dilandau disappeared into the shadows, his soft footsteps clicking as he made his way through the door out into the hall. Celena looked at her brother, glared at the sorcerer, then stood up before Allen could call her back and raced off after Dilandau. An uncomfortable silence hovered over the room, and Allen wished more than ever he could just forget his manners and start banging his head on the table. He couldn't though, and later he'd decided it was a good thing he hadn't. What if he'd gotten something in his hair? Besides, he mused as he buttered another roll, if anyone could calm Dilandau down, it was Celena. He began to concentrate on buttering the roll even more when he'd tried to start a conversation again only to find the Sorcerer gone, Merle flirting with Gaddess, and Van and Hitomi mouthing a conversation that was composed of sweet nothings being mouthed to each other. He gave up and left, off to do something that always made him feel better: primp.

When she found him, he was standing next to one of the large windows overlooking the fields below and beyond the main entrance to the mansion. He didn't even look away when she put her hand on his shoulder, and she could feel his emotions, though he'd been trying to block them from her. She leaned her head against his back, and brought her arms around his front to give him a squeeze.

"I shouldn't have broken the mirror..." She flinched, and hugged him tighter, trying to break down his ever stronger barriers.

"Don't talk like that, Dilandau... We'll find a way to get them back, I promise. Just hold on, we'll figure something out." His shoulders slumped then, and he leaned on the windowsill, head down and hair covering his face.

"I should be dead instead of them... They didn't deserve their fate, it was my rage, my hatred, my lust, not theirs... My men, Jajuka...but it doesn't matter anymore. As soon as word of my existence gets out, I'll be taken into custody, put before court, and then eventually executed. So, I'll see them soon enough.."

"Dilandau-" he shrugged her off, shaking his head.

"Don't get attached to me, Celena. The more distance you put between us, the less danger you'll be in. If they can't associate you to my crimes, you'll be safe. Allen will see to it-"

"I won't let him! You're more of a brother to me than he is; we're closer than blood, closer than kin. You're basically my twin, my other self, and I'll be damned if I lose someone else close to me. You're not alone, not if we're together, right? I won't leave you alone, Dilandau. You don't need to go into the darkness by yourself, I'll be there with you. I swear. We'll never be alone again." His hand closed over hers, and he gave it a light squeeze. She held him protectively, and they stood like that for some time, neither speaking, nor needing to.

Allen watched the two for some time, then made his way to his rooms by another hall. He'd heard most of what had been said- though he hadn't meant to listen- and he couldn't help but feel a twinge of regret. Had he done the right thing? What Dilandau has said was true- as soon as word of his continued existence got out, several countries would be calling for his blood. But, what Celena had said was also true. Dilandau *was* more of a brother to her than he'd ever been. He hadn't gone through what she'd been through, he hadn't been there to protect her from the sorcerers, he hadn't wanted to tell her the truth of her past. He'd given her up for dead, then forced her to be something she wasn't when she returned- no wonder she'd tried to run away. He sighed, then changed his course to go visit someone he thought would be able to help him clear his thoughts. He came to the door, listened for a moment, didn't hear anything, and knocked softly.

"Come in." Allen opened the door, grateful to see that the young king was alone, sitting on the bed and polishing his sword. Van looked up, saw Allen, and put the sword down, motioning him to a seat. He looked at the knight for a moment, then said, "you're confused about your relationship with your sister and that- ..Dilandau. You wonder if your actions were the right thing to do." Allen sat in the proffered seat, frowning and running his fingers through his hair.

"I just don't know what to do. Have I done the right thing, Van? I know it is my duty to protect the lives of the people of Asturia, and that I am to deal with criminals of war by giving them to the king. But... what comes first? Duty to country, or family? If you betray your own blood, where are those you love when you need them? But if you betray your country, what kind of world are you making for your loved ones to live in? I've never had to deal with anything likes this, Van. Celena is blood, my duty is to protect her until she finds a man to guard her. But Millerna is my Queen, and never in my services to her or her father before her did I fail to do what I believed followed the code of Knight of Heaven. What is Dilandau to me? Is he the enemy of my people, a creature I must turn over to the proper authorities, or is he something more? He shares Celena's blood- my blood- though he is his own person I cannot help but think that he is also a part of the Schezar line. He might have started as a different person, but after merging and then dividing with Celena, I cannot say that I believe he is only Albatou anymore. He is as much Celena's brother- though I hate the very thought of his existence- as he is a stranger to me. Moreso than I am to her. She... She said so herself. What will she say when she hears of what I have done? Van, did I do the right thing?"

Van stared at the blonde, amazed that something so philosophical and deep could come from the knight, and didn't answer right away. He hadn't counted on Allen actually fretting this much over anything; he usually decided then acted upon what he thought was best. That didn't mean he didn't fret over the past, it was just that Van had never heard anything of this sort from the man before him, and he began to have new respect for the knight. So, instead of advice or thoughts, he did what he did best- said the obvious very bluntly.

"Allen, you already made the decision, remember? It's too late, even if you regret it now. They're on their way here *now*." Allen stood and began to pace, his long locks flowing behind him like a cape.

"I know, but do you think I was right?" Van shrugged, picking up his sword and cloth again.

"Some things you just have to leave to your heart, Allen. You did what you thought was right at the time. No matter what was or was not supposed to happen, everything will work out in the end. I've become a strong believer in things working out in the end." He gave a wistful smile, thinking of how very right the past few weeks had gone. He then turned his attention back to Allen, who was still pacing around the rug by the bed. " Balgus is dead, my country was destroyed, lives were lost, the whole planet was nearly torn in two. Much of this was due to Dilandau and his men, and yet... And yet so was my brother, Folken. When he died-... I realized how foolish I had been to ignore his attempts to redeem himself, and to put things right. It wasn't until I lost him that I- that I remembered why he meant so much to me. People change. Given a second chance, many turn over a new leaf and try again. I admit, no matter what is decided, I do not like Dilandau, nor will I ever. But even I- probably his biggest enemy- can see he's changed, and I'm not sure it's for the worse. I cannot forgive him his deeds and bloodlust of the past, but it was the past. Balgus was buried, my country rebuilt larger and more magnificent than before, the world is beginning to realize peace again. I can't judge your judgment or your decisio because I am not altogether convinced you did the right thing." Allen pursed his lips, and Van stood beside him, sheathing his blade and putting a friendly hand on the knight's shoulder. " It will work out in the end, Allen. Trust me." The two exchanged companionable- if not harrowed- smiles, and tried to relax somewhat. This might have succeeded, had it not been for surprised shouts in the hall and the sounds of footsteps running towards the door. Both men had blades drawn and ready when the door was thrown open, and Dilandau stood panting in the doorway. His eyes scanned the area left and right wildly, then settled on the two men with weapons pointing in his direction. Ignoring the swords, he drew himself up and moved over to them with catlike speed and grace, despite his weariness.

"Where is she, Allen?" Allen looked at Dilandau with a scowl, still not sure if he should put the blade away or not. Gaddess stood in the doorway, shrugging. Allen turned his attention back to Dilandau and sheathed his blade, deciding to at least have the pretense of being collected.

"What do you mean Dilandau? If you mean Celena, the last time I saw her, she was with you." Dilandau's eyes widened, then narrowed, becoming ruby slits of rage.

"I left her to return top my room. I heard her scream and she was gone. What kind of brother are you, letting your little sister get kidnapped-" He straightened, then turned and tore out of the room. "Dammit!! The sorcerer!!" He tore down the halls at a pace that impressed even Van, and the trio ran after the enraged ex-captain of Zaibach. As they raced along the corridors towards the quarters where Rusent had been staying, Merle appeared by Van's arm. Her eyes were wide with fear and worry

" Lord Van! I can't find Hitomi anywhere! I was gonna meet her after dinner, but she never showed!! I looked in her room, but everything was broken and messed up! And..." She cast her eyes down, and pulled out the pendant. "I found this thrown into one of the corners. Lord Van!! Do you think she's been kidnaped again, or that she went back to the Mystic Moon??" Van's heart sank, and he put on another burst of energy. As much as he hated following Dilandau....

The room's door thrown aside, there was no evidence of it ever being occupied. Bed made, curtains drawn, candles unlit, it had looked the same way it had been kept for so many years before the latest use. Allen and Van stood dumbstruck , surveying the room in disbelief. Dilandau ran to the window, threw it open and did his now popular stunt of jumping out the window from the second story. He landed with both feet on the ground, remained for several seconds trying to clear the black spots that swarmed his vision, then ran to the sables to grab the nearest horse. He kicked one of the Crusaders down in his rampage, taking the cutlass that had been drawn to stop him. Jumping on the bay, the roared off into the night, screaming death to those who dared tried to take that which he cared for. Allen and Van were not willing to attempt Dilandau's stunt, but called for their guymalefs' preparations. Van jumped into Escaflowne, Allen into Sherazade, and the duo sped off in the direction Dilandau had taken for a second time.

"Van! Do you see any sign of them?"

"No, I haven't- wait, over there, to the right! It's .... It's Celena! It's Celena and Hitomi's behind her! They're on the horse Dilandau took and a different one!! They look alright, thank goodness. But... Dilandau and Rusent aren't with them..." Allen threw open the hatch to his malef as Celena hurried over to him, and Van jumped out to scoop Hitomi into his arms. Celena had the beginnings of a black eye and a swollen lip, Hitomi's ankle had twisted and she was limping. The horses snorted, watching the humans exchange hugs and kisses, then decided they didn't care and returned to grazing. Through tears and smiles, Van stroked back wisps of hair that fell into Hitomi's eyes.

"Hitomi, how did you-"

"Van, you won't believe it, but Dilandau saved me." He stared at her, then shook his head, hugging her.

"I'm sure he did, but I think he was only after Cele-"

"NO, Van. The sorcerer threw Celena off the horse when Dilandau came charging after him, hoping to make him stop. Dilandau said that he wasn't leaving without both of us, and then he was going to repay a debt of some kind. He came right up to the horse, grabbed me off of it and tossed me into the saddle. He pulled the sorcerer off his horse, but Rusent got up and tried getting away on foot. Dilandau nearly flew off the horse and raced after him. I'm perfectly fine, and I wouldn't have been hurt at all but I slipped on a root trying to make my way back to Celena. Dilandau saved us, Van." She smiled softly, and Van shook his head in disbelief.

"I don't believe it..."

"Where is he now? And what about Rusent?" Celena shook her head, face pained.

"The last we saw them, they went into the woods over there. There were a lot of noises that I don't want to describe, and then silence. I don't know who won, Allen." She said this softly, staring at the woods that had enveloped the two forms in darkness. Silence greeted the four faces, only to be disturbed by the swishing of the horses tails. Then there was a soft "squish" sound, and something rolled into the bushes near the edge of the area where they stood. They stood quiet, and the inky shadow of a man came into view, breath rasping and frame slightly bent over a wound. Celena broke from her brother's grasp, and ran to catch Dilandau as he stumbled. He didn't fall, but he leaned heavily on Celena while pulling himself straight. Blood oozed from a slice along his chest, but he wore a look of grim satisfaction. Celena pulled a sleeve from her dress, dabbing it against the shallow cut.

"Dilandau, what did you-?"

"He won't be reporting back to his superiors anymore. It would be better if you didn't know the details." He walked over to the horses, pulled himself onto the dead man's horse, and smirked. "Well? Aren't you supposed to be in bed right now Celena?" She returned the smirk and hopped onto the other horse, holding her hand out for Hitomi.

"Afraid I'll turn into a pumpkin, Dilandau? Here, Hitomi, do you want to ride back with me?" Hitomi looked at Van, smiled, gave him a peck on the cheek and whispered into his ear. He blushed, murmuring something back, but she shook her head and took Celena's hand, coming up behind the blonde. Allen didn't know how much he liked the two girls riding with Dilandau, but there was no other option. Sighing in defeat, he climbed into his malef and kept the visor up so as to keep an eye on things. The ride back was uneventful, little being said and questions unanswered hanging in the air. When they got back, Celena and Hitomi hurried off to find Merle and hold a "girls-only" meeting in Celena's quarters. The three men stood in the courtyard after the women left, an uncomfortable silence over them. Dilandau muttered under his breath about ruined shirts and sore muscles, getting ready to return to his room.

"Dilandau, I-"

Dilandau turned, looking down to see Van standing alone at the steps leading up to the house. Allen had already made his escape, stowing the malefs and trying to find out where the girls had gone. Van blinked, as he stared into the firey depths of Dilandau's eyes, then gulped and straightened.

"Thank you, Dilandau." The albino blinked, shifting slightly to get a better look at the raven-haired boy, but said nothing. Instead, he nodded curtly, then walked swiftly into the house. Van let out the breath he'd been holding and followed a few minutes later. Dilandau was being "escorted" back to his room by several nervous Crusaders and the healer of the household, who was attempting to wipe away the blood but was being batted away by the irritated Dilandau. Van shook his head, then went to find his way back to his own chambers, off to clean his sword and ponder over what had happened.



"Dammit, Chesta, what is it??" Dilandau mumbled as the quiet yet persistent knocking awoke him from a drug-induced sleep. He sat up swaying, head hurting like a hangover and vision blurry. He paused, trying to listen for the knocking again, but heard nothing. He was about to dismiss it as part of a dream when his brain became fully awake and he listened again. There was nothing. Nothing. Not the sounds of guards sleeping, gambling, talking, anything. It was as if the house was deserted, and he'd been left here to rot in his little cell. He stood, holding the bedpost to regain his balance, then lumbered over to the heavy door, putting an ear against it. Still nothing. He tried the handle, only too find the lock sprung and the door open. He pushed, and was met with four 'guardians' slumped against his door, apparently knocked out. He checked their vital signs, found them all fine, then straightened, holding a rapier he'd relieved one of them of. Still, no sounds, except- There! A giggle and a waver of light at the end of the hall. He frowned, lowering the blade. One of the girls? A servant? A hallucination brought on by the pain killer he'd taken? He stealthily ran the length of the hall, only to find the light moving around yet another corner. He cursed, moved quicker and tried to catch the retreating light-bearer. He turned the corner only to find the candelabra sitting on a table outside one of the rooms. The soft 'click' of a door closing made him press himself up against the wall and inch his way over to the sound's source. He stood, rapier poised, as he waited for the person to show himself again. They obviously wanted him to follow them- why else would they have led him here?- so he let their impatience heighten, and betray them. In the end, his guess was right. The door opened a fraction, a head emerged cautiously from within-

He slammed the man against the stone wall, blade at the intruder's throat and ready to kill with a flick of the wrist. Dilandau seized the man's collar and pushed him hard, snarling a threat that made the man quake.

"What the hell do you think you're doing here, you-" His eyes widened, and the sword fell to the floor with a loud clang. Dilandau backed several feet away, breath coming in short gasps and shock numbing his senses.

"...M-Migel..? " The boy rubbed his throat nervously, nodding and trying to salute and look brave at the same time.

"Migel Labariel, reporting for duty, Sir!" Dilandau continued to stare, pale and shaken as he stared at the boy in front of him- a boy who was supposed to be dead- and said the only thing that came to his mind:

"At ease, soldier." They stood staring at each other for several seconds until Celena popped her head out and saw them. She frowned when she saw Dilandau just standing there, dumbstruck, and chided him.

"Aren't you at least going to say something? For Gods' sakes, Dilandau, this is a big moment and all you can say is, 'at ease soldier'?? Get in here! Before Allen comes snooping!!" She grabbed him, yanked him in the door, did the same with Migel, and closed the door with a quiet but solid 'click'. Dilandau's eyes took several moments to adjust, but when they did he lost control of his breath and began to sway. Hitomi appeared out of nowhere and ushered him to a chair, a big grin on her face. Celena came and stood over him. "Well??" she demanded impatiently. Dilandau stared past her, and answered in a soft voice,

"I think I need a shot of something very strong. No, make that a bottle." She shook her head, 'tsk'ing and pointing to a bottle she'd set aside for that very purpose. Pouring him a drink as the boy handed it to her, she scolded him like a mother hen would her chick.

"You need to find a different way of dealing with stress, Dilandau. Drinking will get you into an early grave." He took the

shot with unsteady hands, and stared at the boy who'd given Celena the bottle.

"Ch-Chesta?" The blonde boy smiled and nodded cheerfully, then remembered himself and pulled himself to attention.

"Sir! Ready for your command, Sir!" The whole room echoed the "Sir!" , and Dilandau stood, drawing himself up to inspect them all. He frowned, and began to call roll-call.

"Migel!"

"Present, Sir!"

"Gatti!"

"Awaiting orders, Sir!"

"Viole!"

"Sir!"

"Chesta!"

"Here, Sir!"

"Guimel!"

"Here, Lord Dilandau!"

"Dalet!"

"Present and accounted for, Sir!"

"Ryuuon!"

"Ready to serve and protect you, Sir!"

"Biore!"

"My blades are ready, Sir!"

"Shoji!"

"I'm here, Sir!"

"Maveric!"

"Yo!" Several dirty looks were thrown his way, but the brunette shrugged with a smile. "I mean, Yo Sir!" Dilandau ignored the comment.

"Talin!"

"Ready to give my life for you again, Sir!"

"Aaron!"

"Here!" The twins giggled as they both answered at once, Erin poking her brother in the ribs.

"He called me, stupid."

"No, he meant me!"

"Terra!"

"Team's spirits high, Sir!"

"Refina!"

"..."

"Refina!" All looked over the room for her, and Celena coughed softly.

"She decided to protect Folken, in case something happened." Dilandau stared at her.

"Folken? He's back as well??"

"Yes, Lord Dilandau. We are all back, and we have the ladies Celena, Hitomi and Merle to thank for that." The beast-man gave a warm look to the girls who stood silent by the lineup, then returned his look back to his former charge. "Jajuka, reporting for duty, Lord Dilandau!" Dilandau fell into the chair, and waved them at ease. The group relaxed, then cautiously made their way closer to their captain. Gatti, one of the only ones brave enough to confront their lord, stood and saluted in front.

"Sir! Permission to speak freely, Sir?"

"What is it, Gatti?"

"Sir! Thank you, Sir! It is good to see you again, Sir!" Dilandau looked up at them all, and Gatti balked.

"Uh... that's all, Sir!"

Dilandau stood tall in front of them, then he locked eyes with Hitomi. "You. How?"

"Pendant, a lot of will power, and several botched practice runs the past few nights. We were abut to give up when the sorcerer let something slip about how you have to be focusing your will power on the moons. After that, it was easy!" She smiled, then continued. "Besides, I owed you, remember? You brought me here, and then you rescued me! I thought I might at least give it a try, and seeing as how things are slightly shaky and Gaia could use a force of trained soldiers to keep the peace, I thought it would be perfect! So, we brought them here. They haven't aged because they didn't have a body to get older in like you. So, you're two years older, but Celena didn't think you'd care too much. And we had to borrow some of Allen's clothes, but we figured he wouldn't mind." Dilandau looked over his men and noticed for the first time how they'd been garbed in various Asturian clothes- many frilly and with puffed sleeves- and that many did not care for the attire at all. He bit down a smirk and turned to the boys again.

"Men!" They all straightened up again, wary of his temper and volatile moods. He looked at them and laughed, then held up the bottle he'd been unconsciously rubbing while trying to sort things out. "I don't know what to say, how to act, or if I'm just hallucinating the whole thing. So, awake or not, listen up, because I'm only going to say this once!" All straightened a little more, unsure what this new emotion was- a complete lapse of sanity or something he'd learned from 'Lady Celena'. Dilandau's smile grew.

"I'm glad to have you all back. That's as mushy as I'm ever going to get with you incompetents, so grab a shot glass and we'll celebrate. If this is all part of a dream, then let's at least make it memorable. And", he said, wagging a finger at the group, "if I hear one word of what I just said repeated, I'll make you wish you were dead again! Chesta!"

"Sir?"

"Drinks for everyone, see to it. The twins will help you, and Maveric, you will be in charge of guard duty. If you're all still here in the morning, we'll think of what that means for all of us. In the meantime, lets get plastered!" He poured the shots while Chesta and the twins distributed them, and a full blown party was quickly underway. Allen came down to investigate the noise, only to find fifteen people who were supposed to be dead getting drunk on some of his best wine and wearing some of his old clothes. He was about to run to town and get a priest to exorcize the house when Dilandau challenged him to a drinking match and taunting him with comments on his manliness and drink capacity. So, against his better judgment, Allen accepted the match and the rest of the night was a blur for everyone in the household, as the servants and Crusaders followed the noise and were soon enveloped in the din. Needless to say, everyone had a smashing time, and very few remembered much of what happened after midnight.

`*'AN- Dilly's new hairstyle is his movie hairdo. I like that look better than his kwaii hair/bangs flippy thing- gomen, all of you who liked it. You can pretend he looks the same as the series, nk? But in my character sketches, he looks like Movie Dilly. Yummm.... ^_^

....So? What d'yall think? Gimme feedback on this, I'm kinda nervous about it... Also, this chapter has taken an insanely long amount of time, so I doubt I'll be able to finish it before I go to Otakon next week! YAAAAAY OTAKON! Anyone else going? I'll be cosplaying as Sora from the Esca movie, so if you see me, say, ' hey, Sir Lady Sketch!" ^_^ K, now, on a more serious note, anyone who's having problems w/ the fic, plot wise, detail wise, anything, write to me, nk? I'm going to be posting an Epilogue/Sneak Preview/ QandA chapter after the next one. So, if you want to know why I changed two of the 'slayers names, or why I haven't talked much about Merle, or whatever, write to me, and I'll post and answer, k? My email is SirLadySketch@hotmail.com Lemme know what you think, my baby's almost growed up!! *sniffu* Ja ne! 7-19-02 ~SLS~