Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Concern ❯ Concern ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

This story is for the “Make a Wish” 2006 Summer Minific Contest.
 
There IS an alternate ending, but this one seemed best.
Reviews are very welcome and much loved!
 
Disclaimer: Though I love the Weiss boys very much…sadly…I do not own them. But, I thank Takehito for creating them and allowing me to borrow them for such occasions. *bows* Arigatou Gonzaimashu!
 
 
The car was completely silent as the two individuals within it immersed themselves in their tasks. Ken Hidaka, the driver, focused all of his attention on the road in front of the car. The passenger, Omi Tsukiyono, sat watching the countryside from his window, attempting to distinguish tree from open land in the gathering darkness. They really should've left sooner, but the other boys decided to allow Omi to sleep. Even as Omi tried to put all of his attention on the passing scenery, images of what they found on their previous mission plagued his mind. The girls' faces as they tried to get away from the flames that were consuming their bodies like the wicks on horrifying candles.
 
They had arrived too late. There was no way to save them. The only thing they could do was to cut down the blackened and charred corpses so their family's minds could be put to rest. It affected them all in different ways but affected Omi even more. A girl from his class had been tied to one of those poles and he couldn't save her.
 
When they got back to the Koneko, he trudged upstairs and took the first shower. When he finished, he didn't tell anyone he was done, just went to his room and locked the door. Over the next couple of days no one saw Omi. He wouldn't even answer when someone knocked on the door. Finally, Ken couldn't take it anymore and he gave the door a hard kick, sending it crashing into the wall.
 
His younger teammate was sitting by the window, staring out of the glass. Whatever Ken was prepared for wasn't the silence he received from the boy.
 
“Omi?” The boy didn't move.
 
He quietly crossed the room and put a hand on Omi's shoulder.
 
The little blonde jumped on Ken with such force that both boys toppled to the floor. Ken sat up and held the sobbing boy to him. Omi burrowed his face in Ken's chest and let everything out. Ken sat there, holding onto his friend and rubbing circles on his back to soothe him.
 
He heard a noise at the door and looked up to see Youji and Aya standing there. When Ken looked up, Aya left. Youji came into the room and knelt next to the two boys. His hand joined Ken's on Omi's back and helped to calm the young boy down. They looked down when words came up, muffled by Ken's chest.
 
“I…I just wish I could've saved them. If we would've gotten there sooner…maybe they'd still be alive. Maybe Mika-san would still be alive…DOOSHITE!?!” His hands tightened into what would have been a painful grip had it not been on Ken's shirt.
 
“Shhh, Omi. There's nothing you could do. It was just too late. We can't save them all.”
 
Youji's words of comfort had no effect on the poor boy. Slowly, the sobs became softer and softer until the room was silent again and his grip slackened. Ken pushed him back a bit and saw that Omi had literally cried himself to sleep. This was good because it looked like he hadn't slept any since before the mission. Dark circles decorated his eyes and his skin was so very pale.
 
“Omi…you shouldn't be punishing yourself.”
 
It was the first time Ken had said anything since entering. Youji gently pulled the sleeping boy up and carried him to the bed. Ken stayed where he was on the floor, thinking about what Omi had said. He himself had been staying as busy as possible to avoid thinking about it and all the `what if' outcomes.
 
He looked up when two legs appeared in front of him. He took the hand Youji was extending and was pulled to his feet. He looked at the bed and saw the blonde sleeping somewhat peacefully. Both assassins left the room quietly and went to their respective rooms for bed.
 
The next day, Ken got up like normal because he had to open the shop. He peeked in Omi's room to find the youngest member of Weiss still asleep. He figured the best course of action was to let the boy sleep after the hard time he'd had lately and the fact that it was summer and he didn't have to be in school. It's about time the kid slept in. Just too bad it's under these circumstances. Ken thought as he made his way down to the kitchen to get a soda full of caffeine before he had to open. His footsteps slowed as he neared the kitchen and he heard voices within. One voice he knew had to be a mistake was Youji's. There was no possible way Youji was up before noon. He did go to bed early the previous night, but that was no explanation. It was like a cardinal rule with Youji: Never be awake early in the morning. That man slept more than a teenager.
 
He slowly crept up to the kitchen's entrance but stayed out of sight. He confirmed that the voices belonged to his other teammates.
 
“Are you sure this is a good idea, Youji? With how withdrawn he's been lately, you know what could happen up there. He shouldn't be going up to the mountain alone.”
 
“I told you, Aya.” He paused and Ken heard him strike a match. Smoking in the kitchen again, Youji. You won't learn. “He won't be alone. Ken will go with him. They both need a break anyway. And when I talk to Birman, she'll agree.” He heard something lightly hit the sink and the water ran for a second.
 
“Awww, Aya! You're no fun!”
 
“I told you, if you're going to smoke around me, at least don't do it in the kitchen. Anyway, Ken won't agree to leave for a week. He has those damn soccer brats fawning all over him in the shop daily.” It sounded like Youji took a drink of something before answering. “Well, we'll just ask him when he gets up.”
 
Aya did something that sounded like a snort and said, “And that better be soon. I hate opening the shop alone.”
 
Ken quietly went halfway up the stairs and then made a dramatic, not to mention, loud, entrance into the kitchen. He yawned loudly and went over to the fridge to get a can of soda out.
 
“Ken, it's morning. You should just break down and join me in drinking coffee.”
 
Ken stopped and made a sound that could've been a word, but was most likely a gag. “Blech! I don't know how you can drink that crap. Just thinking about the taste makes me want to throw up. So, Aya, ready to open up?”
 
“No, but I deal with it.”
 
Youji blocked the door to the shop so Ken couldn't leave. “Hey, Ken, what would you say to a mini vacation with Omi to the cabin? You guys have been working so hard lately and everything. With the shop and last mission and all. You could use some time off. And the cabin is the perfect place for relaxation. So, what do you say? Aya and I can work the shop and any missions that might come up, so you don't have to worry about anything.” He popped the tab on the can and took a drink.
 
“Maybe a vacation is just what we need. It would be good to get away for a few days. When do we leave?”
 
Youji smiled wide and looked at Aya. “You owe me dinner. And as you know, my tastes run to the expensive and divine.” While Aya glowered, Youji explained to Ken that if they wanted, they could leave that afternoon. After giving Omi some more time to sleep, of course.
 
And there they were, on their way to the cabin. The silence in the car was a comfortable silence that you only get with true friends. Omi didn't want to talk and Ken respected that like any good friend would. When they arrived, both boys just grabbed their bags and went to their usual rooms in the cabin.
 
“Good -“
 
Omi shut the door before Ken could even finish. “—Night, Omi.”
 
Over the next couple of days, Ken never ran into Omi. He would come out at sparse moments when Ken was out and go to the bathroom, or get something to eat. But, never when he could run into Ken. After the third day of this, frustration began to set in.
 
For the third day in a row he was stuck sitting on the bank of the lake near the cabin, watching the vivid colors of the sunset as it reflected up from the water. There must be something I can do to help Omi forget. Something. Anything. He couldn't see any stars yet, but nonetheless he saw a flash across the darkening sky that could be mistaken for nothing other than a shooting star. “I wish there was some way, anyway for me to help Omi forget.” The answer seemed to burst forth from the faded hues in the water.
 
“Of course!” He spoke to himself.
 
“The magazines! The one thing I can give him (and myself) that distracts from everything! But, how to get him to go along with it?” He sat out there until the stars twinkled like bright candles in the night sky. He walked back to the cabin and began making preparations on his plan.
 
The next day, when Omi woke up there was an envelope lying on his bedside table. It had his name on it, so he opened it. Inside, he instantly recognized Ken's barely legible handwriting.
 
Omi,
When you get up this morning, go to the kitchen.
 
Wondering what Ken was doing, Omi did as he was told. He got dressed and went to the kitchen. On the table there was a semi-warm breakfast complete with chilled orange juice. And another envelope.
 
Omi,
Eat up! When you are done, go down to the lake. Follow the trail from the cabin.
 
Once more he followed the directions and when he finished the breakfast, went down to the lake. When the bank came into sight, Omi tripped over his own feet and went flying forward. His teammate, who had been down by the bank, came laughing to see if he was O.K. He knelt beside the shocked boy and inquired if he was hurt. Omi lay face down with his eyes shut, wondering if this was a dream and willing it to not shatter.
Ken pulled on his shoulder, rolling the boy onto his back and saw his eyes were shut.
 
“Omi, daijoubu desu? Omitchi?”
 
Hearing this nickname, Omi slowly opened his eyes. Ken leaned over him and smiled. “You weren't supposed to trip, you know. Jeez, you can be clumsy at times.” Omi started out by chuckling, but soon it grew into laughter.
 
“Ken-kun, my dreams don't generally insult me.”
 
Ken cocked an eyebrow and said, “Dream? Do you think this is a dream?”
 
“Isn't it, though? There's no way this can be real.”
 
“So, Omitchi, how often do I appear this dirty in your dreams? Is it like, a regular occurrence? So regular, in fact that you wouldn't recognize life from dream if it actually happened?”
 
“Ken-kun…I don't….I mean…my dreams aren't about…this…er...”
 
Omi stumbled over the words and Ken put a finger to the chibi's mouth to silence him. Omi tasted the dirt on Ken's finger and knew it couldn't be a dream. It was too real. Ken stood up and held out a hand to Omi, who took it gratefully and was pulled to his feet.
 
“You know, you were supposed to walk not fly down the path to the bank and be surprised. Now you're not surprised, are you?” Ken looked down and made an award winning pout face.
 
They walked down to the bank and over to what had caught Omi's eye earlier and was the root of his little `trip'. Near the bank, but far enough from the lake shore, was a large patch of dirt. A pile of gardening tools sat next to it and somewhat on it.
 
“Oh, trust me, I'm surprised. Ken-kun, how did you know?”
 
Ken looked down and faked shame. “Do you remember when I helped you clean your room? Well, I sort of found some magazines. Tell me, when did you start hoarding `Better home and Gardens' magazines?” Now, Omi didn't fake shame.
 
“Well, it just started as a slight hobby, and then I found out that they had a lot of good stuff that could be applied in the shop and if I ever got my own place I figured I could have my own little garden. You probably think that's so stupid and gay, right?”
 
Ken put an arm around Omi's shoulders and gave him a light squeeze.
 
“C'mon, I work in a flower shop, too. And I have other hobbies aside from soccer. I've always found gardening kind of interesting. And relaxing. So, what do you say? Wanna help me with this garden?” Omi smiled the biggest smile he'd seen from the boy in a while. “Of course!” He pointed at a large, colorful object sitting with the tools. “But, what's that?”
 
“All of this stuff came from the shed out behind the cabin. Even the seeds I found. I don't know who left it here, but, I thought maybe we could use this big seashell as a decorative piece. You know, to kind of add some more color to the garden. What do you think?” Omi walked over to the shell and looked closer at it. The outer edges were a florescent color that seemed to catch every color and make it shine.
 
“Yeah, this would be a great decoration!”
 
Omi fell to his knees next to the dirt and got to work on the garden. Ken smiled and said a quiet prayer to whoever had granted him with this amazing idea to distract Omi and himself. The soccer player knelt next to Omi and started working to his young friend's orders.
 
~owari~