Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Crazy Sunday Mornings ❯ Fragile Seeming Normalcy Derailed ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
(note: usually, if it's in italics with single quotation marks (' ')and between normal fonts, those are thoughts. but by the end of this chapter, the italics with double quotation marks ( " " ) are conversations in the past. Whole paragraphs in italics are a kind of flashback. a single word or a few words in italics in a sentence is/are emphasized.)
 
 
You don't remember.
 
Morning found him seated before Ken and Omi, nursing a mug of coffee. It wasn't really nursing, not really, because he didn't even once sip the stuff. He merely liked holding something warm between his hands, is all, after last night's... well he really didn't know what happened, he couldn't remember. But this was comforting, this was usual, this was routine for him, after all. He could almost hear himself counting …3…2…
 
“Kudou.”
 
He glanced up, but he couldn't smile. His mind panicked, it said `oh no, you have to smile, or else this wouldn't be routine!' But his facial muscles were frozen, and took several seconds to follow the brain and ended up with a twisted, pained look. Aya was taken aback.
 
“…Kudou...” Aya repeated, now a bit unsure. Omi, surprised Aya said something when it was Omi's turn to say something, followed the gaze and ended up echoing Aya's unsure voice, only he said “Yohji-kun?”
 
`Smile… smile damn it! Quickly, quickly!' And Yohji smiled. This made Aya and Omi even more taken aback. This was surprising. This wasn't part of the routine. This wasn't their normally crazy Sunday morning, not with Yohji screwing the script around (not literally, of course. He's not really into inanimate objects). Only Ken seemed to have not taken notice of this, as he stopped eating, slowly looked up to Aya's face, and held his breath, as per usual. When he did this, everyone else seemed to wake up and take this as a cue.
 
“A..ah… Aya, you promised not to bring your katana in the dining…room…” Omi started, rather lamely. Looks were passed around, and everyone was quite unsure as to how to end this. Ken cleared his throat and rose up to the occasion. He was, after all, the only one prepared to.
 
“Well, good morning Aya. Are you going to have breakfast with us?”
 
This question found Aya in surprise, so he didn't give the usual glare (which he gives, even if he isn't even angry). He just nodded, took a seat, and placed his katana on his lap. Ken got up to get him a plate, spoon and fork, and his black `don't-anyone-ever-touch-this-or-else' nondescript mug. Then everyone settled down to eat their slightly confusing breakfast, that is, except for Yohji. He was still wearing that smile that wasn't really a smile, and his hands twitched on either side of the mug.
 
* * *
 
It was something you couldn't look away from…
 
A flash of brilliance filled the room, spilling out from the cracks in the window to the street below. Splintered wood and shattered glass was the noise all throughout. After that came loud silence. Then a dull sound, like the roar of a locomotive coming to life. It was a sound that made the blood curl of the solitary walking man below.
 
He opened his eyes, and quickly shut it when it the morning light blinded it momentarily. `Where am… oh. I'm in my room. I remember… I remember…' and he cringed, cradling his head between his hands as he tried to soften down the voice in his head. He whispered in his thoughts. `Fuck it, how did I get the mother of all hangovers?' He rolled to his side and slowly opened his eyes, adjusting to the blinding light that came from the … `…shattered window? What the heck…' he sat up from the floor and looked around, bewildered, to see the wooden drawer flung to the right side of the room, the window all shattered, and his bed askew because it missed one post. The clock beside his bed read 5:31 am.
 
`But… but how did this happen? How could anyone have come in? The door was shut, the window nailed down and blocked and I was…' horror slowly crept on Yohji's features as he looked down his leg, a bit bloodied about the ankle with the handcuff still tightly around it. And below the window, amid shattered glass, was the missing bedpost. `I… I did THIS?' His hand automatically went to his face, and touched something that made his skin crawl.
 
And you don't remember or… you don't want to remember?
 
* * *
 
It was one of the most grueling breakfasts he'd ever had, and funny, because it was just these weeks that he had woken up in time for breakfast on Sunday mornings. Usually he arrived at breakfast time, took a cup of joe, and slept the morning until his afternoon shift. Why did he end up sleeping on his bed these Saturday nights? Alone? Yet, exhausted and completely devoid of any memory of what transgressed that night. `Except for…' and he shuddered.
 
Ken had told him that they heard the crash last night, around 11 in the evening. They thought someone was breaking in, even if it was a funny thing to think of, because that's just like going inside a snake pit, they're Assassins, after all. They went to Yohji's door, armed, but they couldn't open it. Oh, they tried, when Aya tried to kick it down he went sprawling on the floor with a hurting foot. Yohji tucked the image away in his mind to use whenever he needed a really good tear-inducing laugh. After he got over that image Ken went on to say that Aya decided to get to your room by the railings outside his window, but then …you called out to us and told us that `everything's fine, just accidentally hit the mirror with a bottle, now whoops why did I say that ha ha, go on then I'm fine'.
 
I said that?
 
“Yeah. And we supposed, well, you seemed drunk, you were laughing like crazy, you know like those mad evil villains do in the cartoons, and well… we thought that's what you were last night.
 
“A… mad evil villain in a cartoon?
 
Nope, just drunk.
 
Oh.
 
And this isn't the first time you broke your mirror. Remember, you broke it before, only not with a bottle but with your fist, you know, after that Ne...”
 
But he stopped listening to Ken, because he was thinking, `Only that my mirror's not broken. And I wasn't drinking.'
 
“… and so we left you like you told us to and we went back to our rooms and there you are. Aya was a bit suspicious though, but then if anyone broke into your room, well, bad luck to them. You've got a right mean kick an' punch when you're drunk you know.
 
`Nobody broke in', he mused, in his room now cleaned of rubble the best it can be cleaned, broken window now covered by some cardboard from the stockroom, sitting on his bed propped up by some books and old yellow pages, `…but maybe… maybe I I broke out.'
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Maybe I should categorize this as mystery. Hmm. Anyway, reviews please. (Damned italics and quotation marks got me confused).