Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Crazy Sunday Mornings ❯ Feelings and Half-truths ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

It must be said that Yohji has been thinking of the horrid possibilities of where that bloo… that “Saturday Night Hangover” came from. And unless he has taken to drinking Bloody Mary's that have now acquired the words metallic and viscous as new adjectives, and are drunk in a manner which it dries around the mouth, down the chin all the way to the neck the following morning, then he didn't want to think about JUST WHAT HAPPENS REALLY in between blanked-out consciousness during the weekend (and whether there were really those kind of Bloody Mary's). There was something on the telly (or was it on the radio he heard) he's come across, relating the murder of some person one Saturday night. And then another murder, just like the first bit, and then another… and another…
 
So he really didn't need Aya cutting in on his `revelation' time to tell him something he wished he hadn't had anything to do with…
 
“Are you murdering anyone this Saturday night?”
 
The stillness that followed would have deterred most hearts. But living with Aya for several years has staunched Yohji's heart, so in answer to such a question posed Yohji gave such a bewildered smile and a light laugh. In other words, he gave himself away, but in a more discreet way than most people would.
 
“A-ha ha, why, Aya that's the funniest thing you've ever said…” then, like quicksilver Yohji's face changed into a combination of wary, conspiratorial apprehension and wide-eyed honesty tinged with fear (imagine that if you could), and said in such a low voice a person other than Aya would have had to strain to hear: “Why do you ask?”
 
Aya looked over Yohji's face, judged the confusion of expressions on it, and decided to help the poor idiot out. A look like that, Aya reasoned to himself, would be a trifle hard to fake. He folded his hands primly on his lap, sat back and looked up to the sky now a war of colors. Yohji would've slapped him like silly and shout that this was not the time to play the coy maiden by the sheer force of agitation within him, but he thought against it, and waited for whatever Aya had to say.
 
“I had a feeling.”
 
The older man's face moved closer, emotions at the very edge. When Aya made no move and stayed silent, Yohji's face fell. “That's it...? That's all you have to say. You just had a feeling?
 
Aya wanted to say, “of course not you idiot. I'm waiting for you to say something first” but he stayed his more than often sharp tongue, tilted his head a little towards Yohji's direction so that he looked like a calculated Botticelli portrait of some haughty, young Florentine man. Yohji sighed. He guessed he had to spill the beans, else, Aya won't tell him anything he knows. It's always hard for a man to confess anything to a fellow, much less a fellow like Aya, but Yohji then again thought, well, if anyone can keep a secret, that'd be this guy. He gave Aya a wary look.
 
“I trust you can keep a secret?”
 
Aya gave the slightest nod. Yohji slumped, felt for the mission folder beside him, and handed it to the other man without looking his way.
 
* * *
 
Jacques Jeumans
Male, 40, Caucasian
Scientist
 
Contacts from France say that target is concerned about experimenting for the solution to mortality. Search of target's childhood home reveal target's early fascination with mythology and occult. Nothing out of the ordinary.
 
Informant reveals at age 25 target had a falling out with his scientist mentor, leaving France and traveling to east Europe, studying cases of lycanthropy. Later searches reveal notebooks containing what is understood as notes from the aforementioned travel. Target has extensive knowledge of the myth and, from what is deduced, believes in the myth….
 
… worked for Takatori Masafumi, son of Prime Minister Takatori Reiji, in a legal study of human genetics…
 
…continued working after the project was dropped. Escaped before Takatori Masafumi was dealt with, and works alone in the basement of a run-down building along… Experiments made with animals, then later on with human test subjects, mostly female, under age 20 and runaways. Contacts of the target that supplied the human test subjects taken out on… then struck a deal with a prostitution ring. Later ran out of money, target has taken to kidnapping to provide for himself test subjects. First attempt to kidnapping…
 
…after the target is disposed evidences found in the laboratory hints at experiments of a scientific endeavor but of an occult basis. It is believed that the target has been trying to manipulate DNA through a substance injected into the bloodstream. All found bodies reported to have died from the substance. Samples retrieved are yet to be analyzed. Last victim died differently, from a wound above the left breast. Nothing traceable found from the wound. The target is believed to have tried the experiment on himself. Results on him unknown…
 
* * *
 
“Hmm.”
 
Aya dealt with the facts before him as he deals with most things in his life: like a carefully planned siege by Caesar's army with a battering ram*. Facts slid into places in his memory like the children's toy wherein the square one goes here, and the triangle one goes there, even if it barely looks like a square or most people doesn't recognize the triangle. And now the facts were sliding into the correct places that were still missing some things. This is the part where the sound effect “ping!” and the light bulb flashing might come in, if only it wasn't Aya, because with Aya then everything's been sorted out eons ago, he just needs some other proof for it. So he laid down the folder and stared at Yohji, whom was hitherto absentmindedly smoking, who in turn stared back. And while Aya's stare was of a calculating reason, Yohji's was more out of… well; the way a skull stares back at you. No reason at all, it just does. This explains why Aya was the first to break the glance, seeing as how there's nothing in his Menacing Glare Arsenal to combat that Look which reminds him of the words “Dead Man Walking”.
 
“So.” Aya said.
 
“So.” Yohji answered.
 
“…”
 
“You've heard the news, then, yeah?”
 
Aya cocked his head to one side, and gave Yohji a fairly disinterested `yeah' of his own. Yohji was referring to the news Aya himself had just confirmed downstairs with Ken.
 
“We both know we've seen that before…” Yohji whispered. Aya thought he detected a hint of fear in that whisper, but he brushed the thought aside. So he nodded again. When Yohji didn't say anything but continued to stare fixedly at the cigarette curling languid smoke in his hand, Aya prompted the older Assassin back with a verbal yes. Silence settled in with the oncoming night. Aya uncharacteristically broke the ice.
 
“You're telling me you think that these new murders… no, let me rephrase that. You're telling me you believe that the murders, Dr. Jacques Jeumans, and you are all connected?”
 
Yohji shrugged. “Well, don't you?” he answered pointedly. “You come up here and accuse me of murdering people on Saturday nights.” His brows met. “Well, it's not as if we've never killed anyone on a Saturday night. Just that murdering and assassinating are two different killings, yeah. Both stops `em dead, but different.” He paused before he added, “Ideally.”
 
Aya seemed to consider this for a moment. “No, I believe you know something about the murders.”
 
“Meaning?”
 
“I don't think you killed them.” Yet, he added mentally, “But I do think you're vital to the whole situation.” Aya is a fairly truthful person. But there are a number of things he'd rather not tell Yohji- his name, his past, and that delicious little blonde that came around the shop a month ago looking for the older assassin**. And now, he didn't want to tell Yohji that he feels Yohji would also know about his… `Shadow Stalker'. Just because.
 
“Because?”
 
It was Aya's turn to shrug his shoulders. Beats him why he thinks Yohji's a vital link to the whole mess. Maybe it's because Yohji's been having weird Saturday nights. And maybe it's because Aya's been having weird Saturday nights himself. But most of all, maybe it's because there's that tiny, yet nagging gut feeling he has that's pointing towards Yohji. What the feeling is about, however, he doesn't want to know.
 
“You've got this feeling again, huh?”
 
Another shrug, but this time it's because Aya's letting the sarcasm slide off. The poor cigarette, more than half the time just left to smoke itself, finally died, and out of habit Yohji lit another one, destined to suffer the same fate of it's predecessor. Smoking irritates the redhead, for sure, but he didn't comment. He just made a face to let the blonde know he still hates it, but is just letting him off the hook for once because he thinks the other one's knee deep in perfect shit.
 
Yohji, on the other hand, tells white lies unabashedly. He feels it at least keeps ugly truth at bay. There are a number of things Yohji would lie about to Aya- like how he really felt sorry for the younger Assassin, or how he thinks Aya seems like a cat, or how he feels Aya should just get a fuck. Incidentally, he'd never tell Aya about this one girl, a delicious little blonde who was supposed to come around the shop last month but never contacted him again. He wouldn't want Aya to think he, Yohji the great, can just get stood up like that. But this time he felt he had to tell Aya what he thinks and (shudder) suspect about himself. Well, at least a part anyway.
 
“Aya, I've got to tell you something… remember that mission when we took out Jacques Jeumans? Remember, when I was sucking at the bite wound, you told me not to do it?”
 
“What about it?”
 
“Well… I have this feeling…
 
 
 
 
 
*That is, to barge away but in an orderly fashion with all things considered, which is, after he's considered everything, thought about it, planned it, then there's no stopping him.
 
** Well, there was this delicious little blonde whom Yohji dated the night before, and came around the shop for a second tryst with the older man. Aya was alone in the shop and he told her Yohji was away but incidentally, maybe she'd like to have dinner with him sometime. She's not the first one to think `oh, now here's a good looking fellow, I wonder how he is in bed?' Well, she doesn't need to wonder. But after a month Aya broke things off, the girl was getting rather clingy, and Yohji might get suspicious. Partly because Aya thinks sex is great and all that, a release of sorts, but orgasm to him is like sneezing- feels wonderful, is needed by the body, but not to be taken every time. Yes, Aya has been getting it. But he feels that that doesn't mean he has to be loud about it, like some people are.
 
 
 
 
 
Okay, that was a stump. I love Botticelli paintings, especially `Venus and Mars'. I get this feeling that his portraits of (mostly) Medici personalities are looking at you haughtily must be because of the way the head is positioned. Even his St. Sebastian looks at you in an air of haughtiness. But that's just me, and I'm no art critic.
 
Sorry if this turns out to be a let down, I was in a stump. I have to say, I wasn't planning to make this shounen-ai or anything, I mean, I'm still not going to make it one (I think), but I somehow sense as if it does seem like one, so if you want to read it that way, well, be my guest.
 
I've never had a Bloody Mary before. Nor now. So I really don't know if they're not viscous or metallic tasting. But I hazard they really aren't. It's a bloody giveaway it is.
 
And that mission report thing? Crap. Well, I've never done one anyway, so little surprise it turned out like crap. It's an extensive one fairly because they needed info on what the late scientist was studying and experimenting before to get hints as to what the goop (evidence) really is.
 
BTW, thanks for the review (Weisslover27, that's you). I must say I go nuts when I can't open and read a review, which happens most of the time. So me going nuts over one little review must at least say something as to how I value reviews. This is me hinting not so subtly for reviews. Hint hint, nudge nudge.