Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Crazy Sunday Mornings ❯ Getting Along ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A lone figure paced back and forth across the alley at the back of the Koneko building, radiating agitation with every step. From time to time, a cigarette is lit, puffed once or twice, then left to smoke itself or immediately flung to the brick wall to the right, and then another cigarette would follow. The day is Friday, and Yohji is getting desperate. Already half the day was gone, and he has yet to convince that prissy Aya to help him. He needed back up for tomorrow night, and he needed one fast, before a certain voice begins talking to him.
 
The back door opened, and Yohji quickly killed the cigarette he was holding and rushed towards the figure at the doorway.
 
“Aya, listen, we have to talk.” Urgency and plea mingled in his voice. Aya, on his part, had tired annoyance all over his face as he hauled the two green garbage bags over to the garbage bin, carefully sidestepping Yohji and the latter's entreaties. As soon as the garbage was disposed he strode back to the door, resolute to turn a deaf ear to the already pleading Yohji.
 
AYA! I need you!”
 
Aya's retreating figure promptly froze, and you can just bet how the hairs on the nape of his neck stood. A thought immediately came to his mind at the prompting of Yohji's last sentence, and he didn't like it. `He NEEDS you. You HAVE to help him', said a needling voice within his head. Brows furrowed above tightly shut eyes, jaws set as teeth ground out. “No-o. Definitely NOT”, muttered Aya, as menacing and convincing as he could manage. `No man should ever be driven to snivel like that in front of his peer.' Aya snorted. Well, yes, it is pathetic. And who said I'm his peer? `A man in NEED, Aya. Think. Can you really just walk away from a man so downtrodden as to vocally admit that he needs help?' the voice answered back. Oh yeah? Watch me. `Ran,' the voice said, in what can be said as a low firm voice for a voice inside a head, `you're his last chance.'
 
No, no, no, no, I don't need this!
 
This isn't the first time Aya had a particularly trying conversation with the other him that lives in his head. And it isn't the first time Yohji had to watch him have the conversation with the other him either. The blond wisely backed away from Aya's still figure, and watched apprehensive from the safety distance can afford him. If Yohji knew fig, he'd bet on the voice in Aya's head to be on his side.
 
Aya hated this. He was having a bad case of `help the underdogs because they don't know what's what'. His sense of justice was in overdrive. The other him was right. He couldn't leave Yohji to… to whatever Yohji was having. Where's the pride in being Hunter of the Night if he just allow himself to fail a comrade, much less after the man admitted helplessness? Then he'd be no better than the bad ones. He's going to help Yohji, he realized, to his horror. But he didn't like to admit it, not one bit.
 
With fists clenched, Aya opened his eyes and turned to where Yohji was standing. The grimace on his face told the whole world how much he hated what he was going to do. Yohji fought back a cringe, the man may be odd, but Aya's the only help he's got. “You,” Aya called out, the word having such an effect as to be the equivalent of a ramrod pointed finger, “I'll.Help.You.”
 
Relief poured into Yohji's features as he straightened and walked up to Aya, hands clasped in front of him and bowing every now and then. “Really? Thank you, thank you Aya, you don't know how much this means to me…” He was so thankful and relieved he hadn't the time to think neither about his actions nor stop himself as his arms flung out and enveloped the stunned redhead in a most surprising bear hug*.
 
* * *
 
“Oh, hey look, they're getting along.”
 
Omi looked up from the sink to his side, where Ken was standing and holding the curtain from the kitchen window. Following the brunette's gaze, Omi's eyes found their redhead colleague in what he could only term as the most bewildering and ridiculous position- inside Yohji's totally spontaneous and uncalled for bear hug. Omi cringed. He doesn't know about Ken, but that look on Aya's face certainly says he's not getting along with anyone, fast.
 
* * *
 
There passed an awkward moment for both Aya (for being in a bear hug, for the entire world to see) and Omi (for being part of that world who had to see). Fortunately, for Yohji, he came to his senses before Aya's hands ever got to his throat and he dropped the hug like a hot potato and jumped back a good two feet or so, just for good measure, and smiled sheepishly. His mumbled apology was cut short by a slightly trembling hand of Aya.
 
DON'T.Ever.Do.THAT.Again.”
 
“Uh, yeah…sorry… got… uhm… carried away I suppose…”
 
Aya executed a sharp turn and headed back to the door, trying to ignore the laughing voice inside his head.
 
* * *
 
“Don't even think about getting me to run around with a huge crucifix and a fistful of garlic. No.”
 
Yohji ran a hand through his hair in a very irritated manner. He really wanted to snap, “Hey, you run around with a huge crucifix all the time”, but he didn't. He asked for the redhead's help, it wouldn't do to agitate the man further.
 
“I wasn't asking you to, Aya.”
 
Aya huffed, well, as much as he could without walking out of Yohji's room. He wasn't going to ask himself how he got himself sitting on Yohji's bed and listening to the older man's plan, because he knew that already. Besides, if he did, a really annoying voice in his head would tell him how, anyway. This was as much as his fault as Yohji's. He was the one who gave Yohji the idea that he could be a vampire- the voice in his head made sure he was told that over and again.
 
“All I'm asking you is that you stick with me tomorrow until Sunday. And if I ever got out of hand, well, you know what to do.”
 
“I'm not going to kill you Yohji.”
 
“Well, just put me unconscious or something…” Out of the corner of his eye, he saw a movement on the mirror. It kind of shivered, which is queer because mirrors don't normally do that. He could see his reflection obscured by Aya's back. He thought he saw his reflection flutter. Oh fuck. “…listen, I don't have time to argue. Just be by my side the whole day, first thing in the morning okay?”
 
It was only a hint, but Aya felt more than heard the urgency in Yohji's voice. He saw it in the way Yohji gave a slight start, in the manner of the other man's hands. Something was off here. He narrowed his eyes and didn't look like he's going away any time soon. The frantic edge in Yohji's voice soon became apparent.
 
Listen, Aya, you have to go now.”
 
“Why are you so anxious to get rid of me all of a sudden?”
 
“…please don't argue… just…”
 
“Are you hiding something from me?”
 
Yohji was wrong to steal a glance towards the mirror, because Aya saw it and turned to look at the mirror himself. His breath caught in his throat. Did the mirror just…? For a moment, there was nothing. Then, the mirror surface trembled again, this time more pronounced, and Yohji's reflection, though partly hidden, seemed to form swirls. Aya blinked, and looked harder. His reflection was okay. It looked as perplexed as he is. But Yohji's reflection… he turned back to Yohji, to find that the older Assassin had already stood up and hurried to the mirror. He didn't hurry enough though, because before Yohji's fist connected with the mirror, Aya saw that Yohji's reflection didn't get up as the blond did. In fact, it was still sitting behind him, with an undecipherable small smile on his face. And it was looking right back at Aya with, Aya realized to his horror, a look of naked hunger in its emerald eyes.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
*A note on the bear hug- you know the kind of hug where you're completely enveloped in someone's arms lifted a fraction off the ground and swung from side to side? Well, this one isn't quite like that. It's more of the squeezing you more tightly and raised to your tiptoes and swung from side to side kind.
 
Well, there goes another one. Reviews please.