Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Fluesternd ❯ Part 10 ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
*****10*****


Where does sin begin?

Some people believe a sin is born through action alone. Murder. Theft. Adultery. All only become sins when they are acted out. Not everyone believes this, though. There are a number of human beings wise enough to realize that sin begins before the action is even carried out - in the mind.

If you wish someone dead, aren't those thoughts just as horrible as fulfilling the desire? You may say no. You may be one of those people who believe we can think whatever we want as long as we hold our destructive, evil tendencies at bay.

And you would be wrong.

Sin begins in the mind. If you believe deep down, in the most sacred depths of your being, that you want to sleep with your neighbors wife, even if you don't do it, you have already sinned. Because what are we without that private, intimate, important sense of self within ourselves?

Nothing.

Sin begins the moment we think it. Which explains even more than before why every human being is naturally a sinner. Being a sinner does not damn us for all eternity, however. Oh no. Through our fight to beat those natural urges, those human instincts, we realize we are going to make mistakes, but despite that, we can rise from the ashes of the burning passions tearing us down, leaving only one question unanswered.

Sin: When you gonna learn?


*****


Breath. Life. Scents of flowers and birds blossoming after months of slumber. The entire aura of Spring shimmers in every particle of air this brisk, bright morning, as the dawning of something new begins in the light and warmth of the sun.

The air never felt fresher and more miraculous, especially to Kudo Youji while puffing grandly on his first cigarette of the day.

He leans carelessly against a crate in the back alley of "Kitty in the House," a bit sensitive to the cool morning breeze, but willing to bear it in order to satisfy his addiction.

It's funny, isn't it, how the human race strives so hard to gain control, and yet we almost always end up being controlled ourselves by the very desires we crave.

(How did I end up here...?) the tall blonde wonders whimsically, taking a long, cleansing drag on his cigarette. (A nothing kid from a nothing family; a one-in-a-million chance as a detective......with Asuka; and then BAM!, somewhere along the line I landed here. An assassin in Kritiker's hands......and now they don't even exist anymore.)

Puff. Puff.

(I wonder if it's true what they say? Does everything really happen for a reason......?)

Out of the corner of his eye, Youji suddenly catches sight of someone coming down the alley towards him. Automatically, he straightens his posture, noticing this newcomer is a woman, but his animalistic instincts are swiftly held at bay once he realizes which woman it is.

(.......her.)

"Ohaiyo, Balinese-san!" Toto greets in a far too chipper voice.

The aqua-haired girl is lighter on her feet than should be humanly possible, as if all the world is her playground and nothing could ever cause her harm. Well, with such a powerful kareshi, why shouldn't she act that way?

"Do you like my dress? It's Amaya-chan's." she continues happily, hopping up onto a crate next to Youji, and apparently unaware of his completely stunned reaction to her presence.

The dress is rather lovely on her; bright yellow with frills, like some over-sized doll clothes. Perfect for Toto's personality, and more than flattering for her extraordinary figure.

"Errm......sure." replies Youji's faltering voice at last, while he shakes his head to relieve himself from the shock. "You look very nice.....Nanami. That's what Korat said your real name was, ne?"

"Hai!" she answers instantly, beaming from ear to ear. Then, with a curious tilt of her head, she asks, "Why do you look so serious today, Oniisan?"

The bewilderment in this added oddity causes Youji to drop his ever-loved cigarette. (Oniisan again...? What does she think we are now? Some big, happy family?)

"I.....well.....I just have a lot on my mind, I guess." he answers her hesitantly, grinding the lost cancer stick into the ground, while purposely avoiding the young woman's gaze.

Something about being around Toto unnerves him.

"I have a lot on my mind, too! That's why I came to see you." comments the girl happily. "Ever since Aiko-chan and I first met, I've wanted to talk to you."

As if Youji's life isn't filled with enough surprises. "Me?" he inquires, stunned, slowly turning his head to face this incomparable girl. "You came over this early to see *me*? Why?"

For the first time this bright, chilly morning, Toto's flawless smile wavers and she lowers her eyes, staring intently at her feet. "Because.......of Noi." she replies, in an unbelievably small voice. "You.....you killed her, ne?"

Freeze. Everything freezes, grimly becoming a bitter cold, harsh and biting at the skin. Youji has lost the ability to move, and though Toto is looking away from him, he can't bear to face her after hearing such a blunt statement. Of course, he knew it had to come up eventually. Toto had lived, loved, and killed in the company of his cherished Asuka for years. The pain he feels in having lost her must be nearly as agonizing - if not more - for this lone friend left behind.

Mirroring the young woman, Youji averts his eyes, as if finding something truly miraculous to look at on the ground. "......I did." he whispers, lost in the haze of memory. "Have you come to repay the favor?"

This simply spoken question, holding so much meaning within it, causes Toto to jump in her seat, jerking her lovely head in horror towards the blonde-haired man beside her. "No! I'd never want that!" she screams, clenching her fists in anger. "I'm not as stupid as people think! I know.....I know you had no choice, Oniisan. You had no choice......because.....you wouldn't have killed her unless.....there was no other way."

With wide, disbelieving eyes, Youji lifts his head, though still unable to look Toto in the face. (.....is she saying she forgives me.....? But.....how would she.....)

"Why do you say that?" he begins in an almost demanding tone. "How....how do you know I wouldn't-"

"You loved her. People don't kill the ones they love. Not unless they have to." her high-pitched, though very powerful voice interrupts him. "You see, I know all about you and Noi. I always knew she had someone special out there somewhere, and Aiko-chan filled in the pieces for me."

(Korat?) Youji wonders accusingly. (But that still doesn't explain......)

"What do you mean you *knew* Asuka had someone?" he prompts, flicking his eyes up into Toto's ocean depths.

With her smile back in full force, the turquoise-haired girl giggles. "Easy! When Noi first came to live with us, she didn't remember who she was or anything. Pel and Chen......and even Papa Masafumi......didn't care about helping her remember, either. They always tried to make her forget about her past." Toto looks up at the cloudless sky, wearing a pleasant, thoughtful smile. "But I never did. Sometimes, when everyone else was asleep, we'd stay up real late and talk. She used to tell me all sorts of things. Stuff she remembered, stuff she only kinda remembered, and even the things she barely remembered at all. Wanna know what we talked about the most?"

Youji is absorbing this with furrowed eyebrows, not quite sure how he should be taking it all in. However, with the attention back on him, he realizes just how desperate he is to know everything he can. Firmly, Youji nods for his companion to continue.

Loving how things are turning out just as she had hoped, Toto grins even wider than before. "We talked about *you*, Oniisan!" she cries excitedly, and then quickly explains after seeing Youji's devastating expression. "Well, neither of us knew it was you *then*, but I'm sure of it now! Noi always used to tell me she felt like she was missing her other half. In fact, she was sure there was someone out there who knew who she really was, and that they were really worried about her. But.....she couldn't remember who they were. The only thing she remembered was being happy. Of course, after awhile, she didn't talk about it at all anymore. The place Papa Masafumi found her in had been really terrible, and she was so happy when he saved her. I guess, somehow...she started thinking *he* was her other half......"

Toto's voice trails off a little with those last few words, and her smile seems washed away again, distant. Without a doubt, though somewhat stunted, she is not stupid, and the darling girl realizes how difficult talking about Asuka must be for Youji. Of course she does; it's the same for her.

"I.....I don't mean to make you sad, Balinese-san." Toto begins again, softly, looking beseechingly at the man next to her, and noticing the tears flooding his emerald eyes, though he refuses to let them fall. "I just wanted you to know......that even though it seemed like she forgot you.....Noi.....Asuka......really did love you."

Defiantly, a tear does indeed find its way down Youji's pale cheek, and despite his aching heart, he looks back at Toto with a smile. Not a forced or false smile, but a genuine one, full of gratitude. "Arigato, Nanami." he speaks gently. "I know you didn't have to tell me all this, but I am very glad you did."

"Oh, I'm so happy!" Toto exclaims, leaping up from her crate. "It still makes me sad sometimes when I remember everyone who died, but I know Noi would have wanted me to tell you the truth, since she really wasn't herself in the end. But now, I just know everything's going to better!"

Unexpectedly, Toto dives across the space separating her from Youji, and wraps her arms around his neck in a rigorous hug. The dashing ladies man, though thrown somewhat off balance, lets out a good-natured laugh at this welcome surprise, and gladly hugs her back.

How odd new beginnings, and yet, how much more unusual things to come.

As Toto pulls away, Youji feels her hand slipping out of his back pocket, though he hadn't noticed it slipping in. With a confused expression, he raises an eyebrow at her as she grins back at him, but soon realizes what she has to smile so deviously about when he sees what she is holding in her hand.

"Hey, give those back, you little thief!"

The aqua-haired girl is proudly displaying Youji's last pack of cigarettes high above her head. "Gomen ne, Oniisan, but these are mine now!" she taunts in reply, dashing out of his reach. "Baka! They're bad for you. I bet you didn't smoke when Noi was around, ne?"

Though he had started to go after her, Youji stops dead in his tracks, not because he's angry, but because he can't believe he never realized this before. "Heh...you're right. I didn't start smoking until *after* Asuka disappeared....."

"Then.....this is a good time to quit, don't you think?"

There is a tangible pause, as if someone has pressed the "still" button on a VCR, while Youji stares ahead at the girl dangling his cigarettes dangerously over the open dumpster against the side of the shop. How childish really, but there is something so perfect in the innocence of the mind of a child - like the mind of this unique girl. Perhaps she isn't as innocent as some, but her intentions are so pure, Youji can't help grinning.

"You're absolutely right, Nanami. Go ahead.....toss 'em." And she does, with a huge smile on her face to rival the one beaming back at her.

What a miracle.

Returning to Youji with a skip in her step, Toto giggles sweetly, while he throws her his famous, come hither expression, gently taking her by the arm to lead her back down the alley.

"Those lovely ladies from across the street will be calling Weiss over pretty soon." he begins suavely. "So, while we still have some time, I'm going to treat you to a fresh bouquet of flowers, my dear. Your choice."

Toto blushes, hugging his arm innocently. "Silly, Oniisan." she laughs. And then, noticing the intricate tattoo on the upper portion of her escort's arm, she inquires, "Sin? Why would you have a tattoo that says that? Because of being an assassin?"

Now it is Youji's turn to blush - at least a little.

"You could say that. But......there's more than one reason." he answers secretively. "Tell you what, I'll explain all about it.......if you promise me something."

"What...?" Toto prompts, looking up into his emerald eyes sparkling as if they hold the truth to something no one is supposed to know.

"Drop the oniisan business. Call me Yotan."


*****


Some calls should be ignored. Especially ones this early in the morning.

Schuldrich, though still half asleep, has to see Brad. Actually, Brad sent for him, but that translates quite easily into "he has to see him."

Casually, the German raps his fist on his leader's bedroom door, tempted to enter without consent just to see what kind of reaction he could get. Unfortunately, Brad answers immediately for him to come in, so the poor red-head is robbed of such a delectable opportunity.

"Your servant at your service, Bradley." Schu calls teasingly as he opens the door.

Brad is not amused. "Stop that. It's becoming irritating."

The handsome brunette is dressed in his usual attire of late. Not the old, familiar suits and ties, but a slightly more relaxed wardrobe. Today it is a pair of slacks and a dark, button-down shirt. Whatever added ease one might expect from more comfortable clothing, however, is somehow lost on Brad Crawford.

"I have a job for you." the dark-haired man continues, in far too serious a tone for Schuldrich's liking. "I need you to pay the little kittens a visit."

Despite how very welcome this proposition is, Schu doesn't react as he normally would. His crowded mind is overrun by preceding thoughts he hasn't been able to shake. "What about Farfie? He's been in that thing all night, ya know?"

"Farfarello can wait. This is important."

The deadly tone of Brad's words - filled with an impression of animosity that has been steadily growing for quite some time - and the clearly visible circles under the American's eyes, perks Schuldrich's curiosity. "What do you want me to do...?"

Fiendishly, Brad's lips curl back in an ugly grin. "Aren't you a telepath?"

Easily getting the hint, Schuldrich takes the bait, devouring everything he possibly can from Brad's mind, and reveling in this rare chance into such a haunting mystery. What he is allowed to find is limited, nevertheless, and he quickly discovers what his assignment is supposed to be.

Feline-like, jade eyes instantly widen, near disbelief, though the German's smile never wavers a twitch. "Are you sure about this? I didn't think you wanted to *kill* them. At least, not yet."

"Don't worry. The message I'm sending will get across, and there will still be plenty of kittens for you to play with after it's done." Brad assures him. "Do you understand what to do?"

To put it mildly, Schuldrich is on cloud nine. "Oh, I understand. I can practically taste it already."


*****


Behavior is a matter of taste.

"Youji-kun!" Echoes an irritated voice throughout the flower shop.

Being a Monday morning, "Kitty in the House" is booming for business. Ok, so since most of the rabid fangirls are still in school, things are pretty slow, but that doesn't mean anyone has the right to sluff off. Including Mr. Procrastination.

"Cool your shorts, bishounen. I'm having a conversation." Youji calls dismissively, not even bothering to turn around and face the annoyed boy behind him.

Omi plants his hands angrily on his hips after tying back his apron, and glares into the back of his teammate's head. The playboy is sitting at the main counter with Toto, as he has been ever since bringing her inside for a complimentary arrangement of tulips - her choice.

"Conversation? You're hitting on her!" the blue-eyed boy declares in disgust. "Don't you have any sense of self-control? Nanami is very - VERY - spoken for, remember?"

"Hey, she knows I'm harmless." Youji counters, swinging around defensively. "Can I help it if I'm charismatic? We've been talking about Asuka and Nagi the entire time. I swear!"

Though going against his better judgment, Omi finds himself wanting to believe his older friend, and with only a mildly distrusted final glance, he absorbs himself in watering the neglected ferns against the side wall.

Ran and Aya are also working about the shop, finishing up an order scheduled to be picked up later in the afternoon. Separately, both have an uncanny knack for creating works of art in flora, so naturally, combined they are matchless beyond compare.

Within their newfound closeness, the Fujimiyas could be picture-perfect models of the ideal siblings. More and more, Ran has been opening up to his dear imoto and cherished friends, as if flood gates have burst open from inside his soul, after being trapped behind walls of concrete for so many years. He - along with all his teammates - had often felt in the past that they were beyond redemption. Never could they have imagined their saviors would arrive in such familiar disguises to prove them wrong.

All it took was the promise - the presence - of hope.

Just as the shop's lone customer slips out the door, an easily recognizable young woman slips in past them. "Attention boys!" Amaya greets zealously, walking towards the front counter with her somewhat arrogant, though regal stride. Then, after noticing Toto and Aya, she adds, "And girls. Time for the family meeting!"

"Family meeting?" Omi restates with a rather bemused expression.

Amaya grins over at him, admiring the bit of dirt clinging to his slender hands, and sends him a playful wink. "Of course, Bombay-kitten. Unless.....you'd rather be *more*. I certainly wouldn't mind."

The girl's subtlety causes Omi to blush deep red, and he nearly drops his water bottle onto the tiled floor. (She never quits, does she? Am I cursed, or something? I keep attracting these straight-forward women.....)

"Mornings are usually slow." Ran states simply, already slipping his apron over his head as he leaves his sister to complete the final touches on the order they were working on. "Aya should be able to handle things for awhile."

Aya, however, is not willing to be left alone - and out of what's going on - for the third time in a row. "Wrong, Oniichan. The shop *will* be fine, but as a temporarily closed shop, not a short-handed one. I'm coming, too."

Seeming about to protest, Ran opens his mouth to speak, but is cut off before he can say another word.

"No buts, Ran." Aya explains firmly, slipping her apron off as well. "I already know everything that's going on anyway, and it's not as if I'll be in any danger if I go across the street. For the first time since I woke up, you've been acting like more than just a statue towards me. I need to be apart of your life, Oniichan. I don't want to be left in the dark anymore."

Stepping up to him with imploring, determined eyes, Aya easily crumbles whatever defense Ran had been planning to counter her with. After all, she is right.

Defeated, the tall red-head releases a long, yielding sigh. "You win." he concedes, smiling faintly. "We'll *all* go. Come on."

Obediently, everyone begins to file out of the shop, leaving the many forms of plant-life to themselves. Omi hangs up his apron, immediately becoming attached to Amaya's arm once his hands are free; Youji, not having an apron to put away, plays the part of the gentleman by holding the door open for Toto; Ran and Aya confidently exit the shop side by side; and......wait a minute......

"We forgot Ken-kun!" Aya exclaims suddenly, just as she is about to cross the street. "He was in the shower when the rest of us came down this morning. I'll go yell for him to come when he's ready, so just go on ahead without me."

With that, Aya dashes back inside, leaving the others to follow her instructions. Nevertheless, being quite anxious to rejoin everyone, she comes to the bottom of the stairs leading up to the apartment, and stops.

"KEN! WE'RE GOING OVER TO "KITTEN'S CAFE!" ARE YOU COMING?!"

There is a slight pause as Aya waits for an answer, but soon a muffled reply calls back from somewhere above her.

"BE THERE IN A MINUTE!"

"HAI! SEE YOU THERE!"

Satisfied, Aya trots back outside, flicking the light switch off behind her, which casts eerie shadows on the walls from so many exotic plants, and throws most of the shop into darkness.

Upstairs, Ken has just gotten out of the shower, and is clumsily shaking out his wet hair after slipping a black T-shirt over his head. Following a restless night's sleep, he had been the last one to get up this morning.

(Uck. I look like a drown rat.) he thinks irritably, after taking a last minute look in the hall mirror before racing down the stairs. (No time. I don't wanna miss out on anything. Who knows, maybe she'll will like the wet look...)

Abruptly, Ken stops just as he lands at the bottom of the stairs, wondering for a moment where the hell that last thought came from. But, after vigorously rubbing his eyes, he decides to forget about it.

The shop is incredibly black as he feels his way through, despite the bright sunshine outside, and - being Hidaka Ken - he has a slight reputation as a klutz. Staring straight ahead at the meager illumination coming through the windows, the poor boy doesn't even notice the box about to disrupt his steps.

"Itai!!" he cries out in pain, hopping on one foot while fiercely gripping the other, after stubbing it with more force than he would have liked. "K'so! Why did they have to leave me a pitch-black trail to the door? Urrg! What I wouldn't give for some light......"


*****


(Light...? Better be careful what you wish for, little kitty.)

The sun is rising higher in the sky already, blazing down upon the earth with its scorching rays, and warming the cold, dewy ground. The wetness on the blades of grass carry with them a distinctive scent of refreshing beauty and life, as if holding their own consciousness, and trying to capture the unsuspecting into remaining outdoors longer than they should.

Nature can be so deceiving - as can her children.

(My poor, pretty pet......) Schuldrich ponders thoughtfully, peeking at "Kitty in the House" from behind a newsstand across the street. At this viewpoint, he is also out of sight from the inhabitants of "Kitten's Cafe." (.....you're in for a surprise, I'm afraid. Hehe. Everything's already in place, and your friends won't be able to save you......)

Following Brad's orders, the sly red-head had eagerly departed for the popular flower shop, taking with him the deadly item he was told to bring along. With this object now planted in the building's basement - after some fast-moving footwork - time is quickly ticking away for the last remaining occupant.

(The message is gonna get across, all right. Hehehe. You better run for it......)


*****


"Maybe I should just run for it." Ken speaks aloud, in an edgy, frustrated voice. "Yeah, a lot of good that would do me. I'd probably end up tripping over a bag of fertilizer and breaking my nose."

Surrendering, the short-tempered brunette proceeds to feel his way to the door, thankful that his eyes are becoming more and more adjusted to the darkness as he gets closer and closer to freedom. At last, he reaches it, and with a relieved smile, lifts an arm to push open the door.

(.....hello, kitten.....)

Ken stops dead, his limbs turning to stone, and his heart instantly jumps into his throat at this intruding, unexpected guest into his thoughts.

(.....sleep tight......)

BOOM!


*****A/N*****


Mwaha haha!! Now that's a cliffhanger! Poor Ken-Ken. Will he be alright, or has he become nothing more than chared flesh amongst the rubble? You'll just have to wait and find out. Smooches!!