Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Fluesternd ❯ Part 18 ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
*****18*****


Do you believe in happy endings?

I don't. Why bother? There are no happy endings, because nothing ever ends. Not really. Not forever. There are simply shifts and changes in life that signal new beginnings, while the old and familiar continue to survive in some form, even if they are already dead.

What about our valiant heroes then? Will their shift be a happy one, or will the world come crumbling down around them in a perilous inferno? Don't ask me. Why would I know the answer? I merely follow the path the players lead me down, for they are the ones who shape their own existences. Not me.

Life is funny that way. The only person responsible for our lives is ourselves. We have to learn to face what hits us, and fess up to what we throw back. It may not be easy, but who ever said it would be? Why would we even want it to be? There is no challenge in the mundane.

So how do we move forward?

One step at a time. One day at a time. Looking straight ahead without regrets, and accepting the company of those who are destined to walk beside us. That is the only thing we can do, because the rest is up to fate.

Why do I not find that reassuring...?


*****


"Okay, here's the plan: we go to where Crawford took Aiko, get her back before he can carry out his plans, and come back here to celebrate our victory. Who's with me?"

Quizzically, the others eye Youji with varying degrees of amusement and annoyance, deciding whether or not he has lost his mind.

With a serious expression, Nagi steps over to the adamant blonde, and speaks very clearly. "That is a course of action, not a plan. Of course we're going to get Aiko back, but we have to figure out how we are going to do it."

"Oh." Youji mumbles with downcast eyes, realizing he has gotten ahead of himself. "I was getting to that."

"Can we focus a little, please? The world is on the verge of domination, remember?" Hiromi speaks impatiently, from her spot in the middle of the floor. "First off, we have to think of how we're going to take Crawford out of commission in order to get Aiko back at all."

Leaning against an arm of the couch, Ken crinkles his brow at this. "What's to think about? There are 11 of us verses one of him. Do the math."

"Actually, it would be 10 against one. I want Toto to stay here."

A brief moment of silence strikes the room as the occupants' eyes fall on the turquoise-haired young woman, and on her protective, better half who has addressed them. Toto doesn't seem to pleased with Nagi's suggestions, however.

"I want to come, too!" she cries indignantly, placing clenched fists on her hips.

Moving back across the room, Nagi pleads with liquid eyes for his cherished treasure to understand his reasoning, looking her full in the face to ensure the girl's complete attention. "I know you want to be there, Toto, but if I have to worry about what might happen to you, I won't be able to concentrate. I'll make mistakes. I might even cost someone their life worrying so much about yours. I can't risk that. Please, just stay here."

Anxious patience hangs in the air while Toto begins to protest several times, but always stops herself before she can, and eventually concedes with a disappointed nod.

At least there will be one less person risking their life tonight. That is, if what the others come up with succeeds.

"Well, that takes care of who shall be going tonight." Nori states with authority, acting as leader in Aiko's absence. "But we still have one more problem to address."

"And what's that?" Schuldrich sneers, seeming more uncomfortable around everyone than before, at least now that his betrayal is about to be played out in full force against the man he owes everything to.

"Abyssinian." comes the navy-haired beauty's reply, quite sourly in confronting Schu's demeanor. "We have no idea where he went. I assume Aiko was taken because she followed him out. However, all we have to go on is the note Crawford sent us, and it says nothing about Fujimiya Ran. We have to find him first."

Click. Slam.

The door below has opened and closed behind whomever has dawned to join the rest of the group. Almost immediately, familiar feet begin treading up the stairs, and while everyone stares fiercely at the landing, the bishounen in question arrives, shaking out his brilliant, red hair from the rain falling outside.

No one says a word as he enters the room, looking them over with just as much scrutiny as they are giving him. Ran frowns, deeply and with little patience for their quiet, nervous looks.

"What?" he grimaces, scowling darkly, though there had - for the briefest moment - been the most significant look of peace on his features when he first came up the stairs. Now, unfortunately, tossing his gaze over the room, Ran is once again his harsh and rigid self, and notes the missing member of their oversized group as if being hit by an unexpected jolt of electricity. "Where is she?"

Silently, Nori holds out her hand, displaying the letter that had been left on their doorstep a few minutes earlier. Ran snatches the paper away, and reads:

/The fiery kitten is in my possession, and the world is about to receive an overdue makeover courtesy of Brad Crawford. If you feel the need to throw your lives away before the end of the world, feel free to try and get her back. I am sure Schuldrich will be happy to tell you where I am./

Crumpling the note in his hand, Ran's fists clench dangerously tight, and to look at him would be to watch every muscle of the human body tense and tighten right along with them. "How...?" the incensed red-head breathes, glaring in turn at everyone around him. "Tell me how he was able to take her away right under your noses? Answer me that!"

"Calm down, Fujimiya. Little Miss Firefly wasn't even here." Schuldrich gives in answer, looking more disappointed than fearful of Ran's behavior. "Surprise, surprise, she was out tailing *you* when Bradley took her, so don't go blaming us."

This information throws the sour-dispositioned young man for a loop, and a very unpleasant one at that. "She.......followed me?"

"It doesn't matter! The point is she's gone and we have to find her!" Amaya shouts, on wits end at the length and pointlessness of this conversation - in her view, anyway. "Can we just get the lead out and come up with a plan before we waste any more time?"

As always, it has taken a raised voice to still the room, and dear, sweet, analytical Omi grasps the opportunity to fill Ran in on what they know, and what they believe can be done to avert the oncoming apocalypse.

"This isn't as bad as it seems." he begins, rising from the couch, with the gears spinning in his head so quickly one might think you could almost see them. "Schuldrich knows the location of the final ritual Crawford needs to perform, we have until midnight - which is still a few hours away - and we outnumber him by...alot. This should be no sweat."

"Wrong. This is Crawford we're talking about." speaks Farfarello's low, hypnotic voice, so oddly calming. "We already know he's planning on casting the spell that will make him indestructible for a time, and that probably isn't the only fail-safe he has to ensure success."

Okay, so this isn't exactly the most reassuring news, but it is practical, and definitely something that needs to be considered. Most of them, however, could care less about the consequences.

Throwing the note to the ground at last, Ran draws the others' attention, and stands tall, with the fire of determination and courage glinting in his amethyst eyes. "It doesn't matter what we are up against. We will go wherever we need to, stop Crawford at every turn, and bring Korat home, no matter what the cost, or what it takes. Understood?"

Furtive glances are his only reply, for no one dares speak against him, and no one truly wants to. They know what they have to do.

"All right then, get yourselves ready. As soon as everyone is set, we leave."


*****


The most mismatched crew in recorded history has arrived on the scene of chaos, but everyone is most definitely not set. How could they be? This may prove to be their last mission. This may prove to be the very end Brad Crawford is striving for.

There is little time left before the deadline of destruction, and the many members of a group without any uniform name to call themselves by stare nervously up at the tall, plain building before them. It isn't much to look at. No windows, a single door, four walls, and a flat rooftop with only one set of outside stairs leading up to it. Nothing out of the ordinary if you were a passerby merely passing by. However, if you knew the truth of what lies inside, your view would be much different.

According to Schuldrich, the spot on which this 'warehouse' has been built is sacred ground; a pressure point on Earth's surface where mystical energy naturally gathers. Japan has many such areas within its borders, but this was the one Brad chose, and this is where the showdown will take place.

"So now what? Do we just walk in through the front door?" Ken asks incredulously, fidgeting with his hands, while the claws shoot out with every clench of his fists.

"This is the only way in." Schuldrich replies dryly, straightening the bandanna tied fittingly around his forehead. "Besides, the element of surprise isn't a factor. He already knows we're here."

Omi steps forward to work the door, assuming it will be rigged or locked in some elaborate manner, but discovers it opens easily with a simple turn of the handle, welcoming them inside. Not a one of them finds comfort in the simplicity, for it simply means that Brad does not see their interference as a threat.

Nevertheless, one by one they slip inside, tensing in the dim lighting, and gazing down the long hallway in front of them, leading to the single, large room that Schu explained resides within. Boxes line the walls all the way down, where a small rectangle of bright light signals where their destination lies. As far as they can see, all they have to do is make their way there.

Too easy.

"I don't like this." Youji comments, revealing what all of them are thinking, as they make their way down the hall in close-quartered groups of two or three. "Are you sure this is the right place? 'Cause either we're way off, or he's got a really good plan."

"This is the place." Schu replies, one of the few leading the pack, in between Farfie and Ran. "And yeah, I'm sure he does have a really good plan. Let's just hope ours is better."

Onward they walk, but before reaching even half-way, the crew suddenly halts their approach, as those in front spot something - someone - coming from the room at the end of the hall. No one says a word, though a few questioning whispers pass amongst them, and truthfully, no one knows quite what to say when the person coming towards them becomes all too recognizable.

"Aiko!" Amaya exclaims from the back of the line, having one of the most obscured views of her, which explains her quick assumption.

All of them can clearly see that it is indeed Rosuto Aiko nearing them, but something is definitely out of place. Aiko's steps are slow and liquid-graceful, almost inhuman. Her eyes are closed, despite her attentive posture, and her face is washed blank and lifeless. It isn't a pretty picture, nor is it a reassuring one.

"What's wrong with her...?" asks Omi's timid voice, standing next to Amaya in the back.

"Korat, can you hear me?" Ran calls with worried anticipation, as Aiko's feline-like movement comes to a halt, and she pauses a few yards in front of the others. "What has he done to you...?"

As if drawn in, Ran takes a hesitant step forward, but is held back by one of Farfarello's powerful arms. The albino's expression seems oddly comprehending of this situation, and his words come out even despite their anxiety. "Don't. She isn't herself. I can feel it."

"Feel what?" Nori barks, positioned just behind the three young men in front. "She is right in front of us and we're standing here like idiots! Schuldrich, can't you just read her mind and tells us what's going on?"

Intently, the German eyes Aiko's rigid and deadened form, going quite blank himself as he appears to come to a conclusion. "Nothing." he whispers.

"Nani? You mean, you can't read her?"

"No. There simply isn't anything there to read."

Unearthly silence washes over the group, and they stare on, gazing painfully at the figure they do not know how to explain nor face. Thank goodness their questions are about to be answered......I think.

"Hahaha..." echoes an unwelcome, deep, and familiar timber, emanating from the room down the hall, while seeming to come from all around them as well. "Don't you like my new doll? I made her especially for you. Hahahaha."

"Crawford......" Ran growls, unsheathing his katana in a masterfully agile and flowing move. "What have you done to Korat?! Answer us now!!"

"So impatient, Fujimiya. It is merely one of the benefits of that book you allowed me to steal." answers Brad's booming voice, while the others desperately search for its true origin. "A golem spell to keep my new toy under control. I'm afraid she is at my complete disposal. Whatever am I going to do? Hmmm......perhaps a little playtime?"

The undertone of underhanded cruelty flickers easily throughout Brad's tone, and each and every one of them tenses in alert, eyeing Aiko in fearful apprehension. If she attacks them, how can they possibly fight back?

"Oh Korat......" Brad continues, perking the mechanical red-head's attention. "Destroy the intruders."

Flash. Amethyst eyes spring open, revealing something quite unexpected. In truth, they are no longer brilliantly violet, but are devoid of any iris or pupil at all. They are a glowing, inhuman white, with no emotion - no compassion - beaming from within or without. If this wasn't enough, Aiko's small, pale hands obediently begin rising from her sides, as sparks of glowing fire form above her palms, until becoming two balls of flame awaiting victims.

"GET DOWN!!"

On Hiromi's scream of command, the many members of the group dive off in different directions to find shelter amongst the many stacked boxes against the wall. It isn't much for cover, but it's all they have, and they are quite thankful for them as those two balls of fire strike where they had just been standing.

"This can't be happening..." Nagi mumbles desperately, hiding behind a pile of boxes with Amaya and Omi. "We can't win, can we? The very person we are here to save is going to burn is alive."

"Stop that!" Amaya cries, whacking the young brunette on the shoulder. "Thinking negative won't get us anywhere. I refuse to let that stuffed shirt, Brad Crawford, take over the world. Do you hear me!?!"

The boys eye her with equal degrees of awe and fear, taking comfort in her authority. After all, it is much harder to lose hope when those around you refuse to give up.

"Anyone have any bright ideas!?!" calls Ken's frantic voice to the others, in hiding with Ran and Nori up front, while shot after shot of flames strike nearby.

Huddled with Youji in a row just behind Ken's group, Hiromi suddenly sits up straight, struck by a plan of attack. Motioning for Youji to move over closer to the wall so she can be near the edge, she calls across the hall to where Schuldrich and Farfie are stationed.

"Hey, Emery, remember how you said you owed me one?!"

Returning her words with a hopeful smirk, Schu calls back. "How could I forget?!"

"Well, I think I'm going to call in that favor now!"

"What do you need me to do!?"

"Just watch my back!" she replies, grinning across the space that separates them. "And keep up with me! If you can!"

Wasting no time, Hiromi unexpectedly dashes out from behind the boxes, rushing forward with a speed almost impossible to follow with the naked eye. Instantly, she begins to draw Aiko's fire, but the moment Schuldrich appears, moving nearly as fast on the opposite side, the powerful red-head suddenly has two very swift targets, neither of which she seems capable of hitting.

"Are they out of their minds?!" cries out Youji's panicked voice, left alone in his hiding spot.

Across from him, Farfarello smiles. He actually grins to himself while whispering a reply only he can hear. "I think they know exactly what they're doing......"

Back and forth, Hiromi and Schuldrich sprint ahead across the hallway, leading Aiko further and further down, and successfully avoiding each of her attempts to hit them. Realizing what their comrades are up to, the others cautiously move out from behind the boxes and make their way down the hallway as well, being sure to keep an eye on the back of Aiko's head should she suddenly turn back around and decide to turn them into kindling.

/All right, Gorgeous, please tell me you've got a plan for when we reach that room in front of us./ Schu speaks into Hiromi's mind, as both are rapidly nearing the opening.

/Well, I didn't actually think that far ahead. Got any ideas?/

/What!?!/

BOOM!

Far too close to Schu's head, an explosion of sparks and fire strikes the wall just as he flies through the opening at the end of the hallway, side by side with Hiromi, and followed far too closely by Aiko's deadly figure.

The main room of the building is much more elaborate and intriguing than the outside or hallway had hinted at. The ceiling looms high above them, everything is painted a blinding white, and in the center, a gold and silver alter has been erected, surrounded equally by computer panels and stations with occult symbols and lighted candles. It appears Brad is all set up and ready to go.

/Okay, if you don't have a plan, then listen to mine./ Schu begins, dodging Aiko's continued blasts. /Keep her occupied till the others get their asses in here, and try not to get killed in the process. Got it?/

/Works for me./ answers Hiromi, while ducking behind one of the computer stations just in time to avoid being struck.

Schu, however, is on the opposite side of the room, drawing Aiko's fire away from her, and is - unfortunately - not close enough to anything that would make a good barricade. Also, his speed isn't quite up to par after so many hours with muscle relaxants pumping through his veins, and he suddenly trips, hitting the floor hard enough to knock the wind right out of his aching lungs.

Bad luck.

"Emery!" Hiromi calls, popping up from behind the panel.

Aiko's attention, however, is fixated on the gasping young man sprawled out on the floor in front of her, as he painfully turns over onto his back, cringing at the burning spasms shooting through his limbs.

"Guess I couldn't keep up with you...after all..." he wheezes, glancing past Aiko at Hiromi's stricken features, before facing his eminent demise in the form of that flame-red hair, and those flaming hands.

The fire in Aiko's palms pulses, though the look on her face is just as lifeless as ever. She raises her arms above her head, but just as she is about to make quick work of ridding the world of one more freak, a blurred image of someone with white hair, and pale, scarred skin, flashes past, knocking her to the floor.

Surrounding them, the others begin filing in through the door, raising their weapons, and hardening their determination, while Farfarello struggles to hold Aiko down. She is too much for him, as hard as it is to believe, and her strength overwhelms his, until she finally forces him off, sending him tumbling to the side.

Having rushed to Schuldrich's aide, Hiromi helps the battered German to his feet, Farfie swiftly gets back to his, and everyone closes in around their empty shell of a friend, while Aiko stands herself, filling her hands with powerful flames once again.

It is a standoff, but a dreary one. Aiko is now programmed to attack no matter what, but the others are not. Luckily, they won't be forced to make the difficult choice presenting itself.

"Korat!" calls that all too familiar voice from somewhere above them. "Stand down."

The fire is extinguished, and everyone turns out to survey the room in order to discover where Brad is hiding. Off to the far right, a white staircase leads up to a landing, where - low and behold - Brad Crawford stands perched and proud, leaning forward against the railing. He is dressed all in white, fittingly enough; white trousers, a neatly tucked, white, button-down shirt, undone just enough, with a long, white trenchcoat flowing simple and open down to his white socks and shoes.

"I was hoping you would be foolish enough to come." the American sneers, slowly making his way down the stairs. "I expected no less. Tell me, Farfarello...Nagi...Schuldrich. Have you enjoyed your time with the enemy? I hope so. It's about to be cut short."

"Can it, Brad." Schu grimaces, shaking off the remnants of fatigue. "Stop being so damn cool and collected. That stick up your ass is really getting on my nerves."

Dangerously, Brad throws Schuldrich a look that could whither a tigerlily. "You all think you have me, don't you? Hahaha. How amusing. Don't get me wrong, I was a little put off by your betrayal, but I'm better now. After all, there is nothing you can do to stop me. We have only a few minutes until it is time, and Aiko is mine to control. Also, as I am sure you anticipated, I have cast a little spell to keep me protected from your attacks. So, there really is no way for you to win."

"If I remember right..." Ken begins, stepping slightly forward. "...even with that spell, we could still fight you, hurt you, and knock you around, whether it had lasting affects or not. I'd say that's good enough for me."

On those brave, angry words, the clawed brunette rushes forward, readying his weapons, and slices at Brad with powerful force. Surprisingly, the young American makes no move to get out of the way - doesn't even flinch - and with good reason. As unbelievable as it may seem, Ken merely bounces right off Brad, being sent propelled through the air to hit the ground hard on his back.

Brad tosses his dark hair with a contented, cruel laugh. "I've upgraded." he states simply, and causes his opponents to tense up much more than they had been only seconds before.

This situation isn't looking too good.

"You son-of-a-bitch! I won't let you use Korat this way!" Ran snarls, tightening his grip on his katana. "Let her go!"

"I'm afraid I can't do that." Brad replies smoothly, sauntering closer to the group, and reaching grandly into his coat pocket, revealing a sleek revolver he pulls out to point menacingly at Ran's forehead, as a flash of sinister light glints over his glasses. "You see, the only fate for a killer is to die. And you, Fujimiya......are a killer."

BANG!

No, not the shot of a gun going off, as you may have feared, but the overpowering resonance of a sonic boom. Brad is knocked off his feet, his gun sent flying, and everyone is forced to cover their ears, grimacing at the aftermath of that piercing sound. The only person left unaffected is Amaya, holding perfectly still and strong, with her arm outstretched - the one bearing her fitted crossbow - and wearing an expression of deadly serious triumph.

"What the hell was that?!" Youji cries, shaking his head to rid himself of that awful ringing in his ears.

Omi, on the other hand, is a bit more intrigued and knowledgeable. "So that's what your armband is for. I thought it shot real arrows, but it was a blast of sound instead. I didn't know you could do that."

Lowering her arm, though keeping an eye on Brad's momentarily stunned form attempting to rise from the ground, Amaya smiles, throwing back her raven hair, and sends Omi a playful wink. "Hey, there's more to soundwaves than just silence, you know?"

Recovering quickly, the group spreads themselves out more evenly around Brad's fallen figure, watching as he painstakingly tries to get back to his feet, though after receiving the brunt of Amaya's attack, it won't be an easy task.

"You...fools!" he gasps, glaring up at all of them. "You still won't be able to...stop me."

"Oh shut up, Braddy."

Caught of guard by that harsh, feminine voice, Brad turns towards the direction it had come from. Nori is the one who addressed him, and who now approaches with steady, determined steps. Oddly enough, Brad finds her intimidating. Out of all the other members of Fluesternd, she is the one he has least gotten glimpses of. Actually, he hasn't ever fully laid eyes on her at all, as if she has purposely been avoiding him, and there is something about her......

"And which one are you...?" he breathes, eyeing her carefully, especially the dark, navy curls of her hair. "Braddy..? Is that supposed to be some kind of joke?"

Kneeling beside him, Nori's expression is almost one of pity - sadness. "Don't you recognize me? Many years have passed, but I still recognize you."

The others around them are eyeing each other with awkward, confused looks, but one out of the many wears a face of revelation. Ken. He understands, though he can't believe it. He alone understands who Brad Crawford truly is.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Brad replies to Nori's questioning. "I've never met you before."

"Oh Brad, how naive you are." she answers right back. "You really don't remember, do you? Well, I can take care of that......"

Fluidly, Nori raises an arm towards Brad's face, moving in to touch his cheek. At first, the beaten young man flinches away, but something in the way she looks - the curve of her jawline, the silver of her eyes, the ringlets of navy hair, and the thin, delicate smile - freezes him in place, awaiting the cool touch of her hand.

"I'm going to show you who you really are......aniki."

WHOOSH!


*****A/N*****


HA! Bet ya didn't see that one coming, and Braddy-kins sure didn't either. Well, next you're gonna get to see what that dream of his was all about, and you'll get a first hand look at his past with Nori. As for Aiko...you'll just have to wait. *evil cackle*