Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ It's All Relative ❯ Chapter 23 ( Chapter 23 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Crawford had been right. The desert terrain was deceptive and for men accustomed to the ever present lighting of large cities the darkness was deep and smothering. The stars could be seen in the clear sky but only a tiny sliver of moon was visible. It only provided enough light to make different depths of shadows and was more a hindrance than any help. The four men moved like wraiths through the night, merging effortlessly with the darkness.

The rest of Schwarz had been shocked speechless when Crawford appeared in something other than his usual fine suit. Pitch black fatigues molded to his body and matched the boots and the black forage cap that covered his silver hair. Even his glasses had been exchanged for contact lenses. Aya found the change sexy as all hell and tried to convey that to his lover with a suggestive smile. Even as Abyssinian he could appreciate the toned body under the clothes. His smile faltered, however, and disappeared completely when Crawford only ignored him.

It left Aya feeling somewhat unsettled and confused. He looked to Schuldig to see if the telepath felt odd.

/Stick to the plan, Abyssinian, and everything will be fine./ Schuldig's mental tone contained an unusual strain and he clutched one of Yohji's hands like a lifeline.

Yohji himself looked grim and angry. Further disturbed, Aya tightened his hold on the hilt of his katana and followed Crawford through the night. They had left their rented land rover three quarters of a mile from their target destination. Consulting the handheld GPS he carried, Crawford led them to the mouth of a shallow canyon nearly indistinguishable from the rest of its surroundings. At the very base of the canyon wall a set of heavy steel doors was inset in the stone. Two men guarded the doors looking casual and bored, completely unsuspecting.

Using the link Schuldig had set up between all of Schwarz, Crawford said, /Balinese, Abyssinian, take them./

Yohji glared at Crawford then moved silently after Aya. Quiet and deadly, the two easily dispatched the guards and hid the bodies behind some rocks.

Crawford stood before the doors. /Ready?/

Aya kept his katana bared, Schuldig and Crawford unholstered their guns, and Yohji stretched a length of wire between his fingers. Schuldig pulled a telepathic cloak over them all to hide them as the steel doors opened easily and they entered a dimly lit passage. It appeared to be an underground bunker of some sort, left over from the days of the first building of atomic weapons. Aya snorted soundlessly. His own countrymen could comment on the futility of avoiding such a blast. He shook his head to dispel his wayward thoughts. Aya didn't know why his mind kept wandering. It wasn't like him not to be able to focus.

As they got closer to the end of the passage Schuldig let loose a low moan of pain and clutched his head. Yohji moved to brace him and shot a questioning look at Crawford. The negative shake of the Oracle's head had Yohji nearly spitting with fury but they continued onwards. Yohji had to wrap an arm around Schuldig who now had blood dripping from his nose and his eyes clenched shut.

Aya took notice of the telepath's state and grasped Crawford's arm to get his attention. His eyes widened in hurt disbelief when Crawford shook him off and pushed him forward with a growl. A single thought circled his mind. What the fuck was going on? The plan Aya remembered wasn't going down well and Crawford acted as if he didn't give a damn.

The passage widened, then opened out into a large room with a balcony circling it on an upper level. As soon as they were all four in the room doors behind them slid shut with a clang and floodlights blinded them. Aya whirled around to see the closed doors then turned back just as swiftly, bringing his katana into a defensive position.

"It seems we have uninvited guests," a voice boomed around them.

By partially shading their eyes with their hands they could just make out the figure of a man with long, black hair draped over his shoulder and clasped with a silver ring. Unseen minions tittered in the background in rote response to the man's mild comment.

Schuldig swiped a hand under his nose to wipe away the blood and tried to straighten from where he was slumped against Yohji.

/Pollock/ he supplied the man's name in shuddering tones.

Aya and Yohji moved to defensive positions behind Crawford with Schuldig shielded behind them.

The floodlights shut off to leave only overhead lighting. Cyril Pollock could be seen more clearly now and his devil's black eyes glittered with malice in his swarthy face. He leaned against the balcony railing and surveyed Schwarz arrogantly.

"Oracle," he sneered. "You always were too brash for my liking and now it seems you are suicidal as well."

"Pollock," Crawford acknowledged. "You know the elders had to die. Their plans were ruining both Esset and Rosenkruz." He surveyed the man's healthy and haughty appearance. "You don't appear to have suffered for their demise."

"No, I can't say I mourned their passing for a second," Pollock said.

"Yet you still hunt Schwarz and what's left of Weiss."

"You've been killing my agents."

Crawford shrugged. "They came for us first."

"I can still kill you now for your betrayal and no one here will raise a hand against me. All are loyal to me. I didn't mind the killing of the elders but I still believe their idea had merit." Pollock threatened. "And I see hiding behind you my favorite telepathic playmate. It's been too long since we had some time together, Schuldig. Have you missed me?"

Schuldig blanked his mind and covered his fear with his most insulting smirk.

"Not hardly."

Pollock's face mottled with rage then he laughed nastily.

"Always so insolent. I tire of this banter. It serves no purpose and will not put off your execution. You came to me, Oracle. Are you so eager to die?"

"I didn't come here to die," Crawford answered. "I came to bargain."

Aya whipped his head towards his leader and lover. That was NOT the plan. What was Crawford doing? His uneasiness grew until it was nearly choking him.

"Bargain?" Pollock echoed. "What could you possibly have that might make me spare your life?"

In a blur of unnatural speed Crawford disarmed his unsuspecting lover and had him pinned with one arm and a gun pushed against his throat. Aya gasped and struggled, his whole body screaming denial of the betrayal.

"Schuldig, hold him!" Crawford barked and Aya could no longer move at all. Crawford grasped a fistful of crimson bangs to jerk Aya's head up where Pollock could see his face clearly. "Do you not recognize him, Pollock? Fujimiya Aya, the brother. If you still wish to bring about the elders' plan this is your only way."

Aya couldn't move, but he could speak.

"You lying bastard! You've been using me and planning this all along. I trusted you!"

He shut his lips against any further admission, but Pollock used his telepathy to read the rest of the facts from his mind. The man laughed heartily and his voice dripped with disdain.

"So he lured you into being his subordinate then made you his lover? How rich! And you trusted him? How very foolish of you, Abyssinian! I thought you made of sterner stuff than that."

Pollock's words fell like acid on Aya's shredded heart. His soul screamed in agony at yet another failure.

"Yohji," Aya gasped. "Are you in on this, too?"

Yohji turned his face away, unable to make eye contact. He said in a very low, choked voice, "You betrayed me first, Aya, leaving me in the ruins of the academy." The lies burned his throat.

/I'm so sorry, Yohji./ Schuldig said to him on a very tight private telepathic band. /We will make this right. Trust me. I need you, Yohji. I hate seeing you hurt./

"Schu?" Aya questioned.

"Sorry, kitty. I like living too much to die so young."

Finally, "Brad?" Aya's chest tightened with pain.

"You were a good agent, Abyssinian, and a pleasant enough diversion in bed for all your naivete, but you are more useful as a bargaining chip," Crawford said in a frighteningly cold voice.

His pride and heart shattered, Aya didn't resist when Crawford forced him to kneel. He hung his head in abject despair.

"So that's your offer, Oracle?" Pollock asked and rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "Perhaps, yes, perhaps it may be enough to bring Schwarz back into the fold, under my command, of course. Yes, I think I will accept your 'gift'. The last surviving Fujimiya."

The last? Aya's head snapped up as the full horror of that statement hit him. His scream of grief was cut short as Crawford's blow to the base of his neck delivered him into blessed darkness. Yohji and Schuldig stepped forward to lift the limp body as Crawford watched, his face expressionless.

/My God, Crawford. What have you done?/ Schuldig's query slipped in under Pollock's telepathic radar.

/What had to be. Now shut the fuck up!/

Crawford's grief bled into his mental voice and silenced Schuldig. Schuldig locked eyes with Yohji, each of them trying to convey some hope to the other.

/I'm so sorry, kitty/ Schuldig whispered softly and deftly inserted a kernel of hope deep in Aya's unconcious mind.