Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Kuroi ~ Shiroi ❯ a new loss ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
- chapter 4 -


"... Wow. You sure have been through a lot while I've been away at college," Nagareboshi Ryu said, taking a sip of his soda. The two of them had taken the time out to grab something to eat and catch up on things.

Akari nodded in shame. "Sorry I never wrote to you about it... I just didn't want you to leave your schoolwork behind just to see me..."

Ryu smiled at his younger sister. "Hey, it's OK. It's understandable. You've always been the kind of person who cares about people. Besides, you're in good hands. The guys are cool."

"Yeah... I figured I'd need to toughen up after our parents were murdered... but what can I say? I'm nowhere near as strong as you are. You've always been the one that defended me..." She picked at her sundae.

"... Yeah, I guesso. Anyway..." Ryu's expression suddenly turned very serious. "Akari. I really want you to be careful doing this, y'hear? I don't know what I'd do if I lost my little sister." He took Akari's hand in his.

Akari blinked. "Ryu... you know I'll be fine. I've managed to survive through all of this, and... you said so yourself, I'm in good hands." She smiled. "Aya, Ken, Youji, and Omi'll be there for me. Don't worry. Hell, what I'm worried about is you..."

"... Me? Why?"

"... Well..." She looked down at the table. "You never know when there'll be an attack on a place... these things have been pretty random lately. I don't want you to get caught up in them, just to protect me..."

"Akari..." He took her cheek in his hand, forcing her to look at him. "I'm your brother. That's what brothers do. That's what we're here for... but, I promise that I'll be careful, just like you have. Okay?"

Akari smiled. "Okay..."

Ryu grinned. He looked at his hand. "Oh, here..." He took a hold of the golden ring with the emerald in the center, and pulled it off of his ring finger. He place it in the palm of his sister's hand. "I want you to have this."

"... Your class ring? Ryu, I can't-"

"Yes, you can. I don't mind. This way, if anything does happen to me, you'll have something to remember your oniichan by."

Akari looked at him in surprise. "Ryu..." She smiled again. "Arigatou. I'll keep it safe."

"Heh. Good girl." He ruffled the hair sticking out of the front of her red baseball cap. She giggled. "Just let me know if you need anything, okay?"

"Sure. ...How about a piggyback ride?" Akari giggled again.

Ryu blinked. "Wha? Aren't you a little... old for that?"

Akari put her hands on her hips and made a face. "Nobody's too old for a piggyback ride!"

"Aw, geez... okay, fine." Ryu threw their trash into the nearby wastebacket, then picked up Akari, and heaved her onto his shoulders. "You want a piggyback ride, you got it!"

************************************************************* *******

"So, boss. What's Plan B?"

Arashi was silent. Ever since Crawford had turned him down, he had been feeling rather sore. He felt as if the simplest thing would set him off, and he would go and kill something.

"... Leave 'im alone. 'E's really pissed right now," Soui whispered to Ryoku. "I'm smart enough t' know not to kick 'is ass right now, for what 'e made me do back in that damn warehouse..."

"Speaking of which, where's Mei?" Hata asked.

"You lil' bugger, she's all y' ever think about now," Soui said, looking at the young assassin. "Geez, y' think y'd know by now... she's bound to 'ave the 'ots fer some guy, but not you."

Hata looked down at the ground, crushed.

"'Ell, I saw 'er wander off with some Schwarz kid. 'E was cute, but too young fer me..."

Seishuku smacked Soui in the back of the head to get her attention. (Leave the kid alone, wench. So what if he has a crush on Mei? You don't have to tear his heart out.)

"It's not really your business wha' I do, now is it?!"

"Will you please just SHUT THE HELL UP?!" Arashi's voice yelled.

The four others became silent.

"Now. Seishuku, you go and look around town for Mei. Don't you DARE make anyone suspicious. We can't afford for any of us to get caught." Arashi's face was dead straight.

The silent man nodded. He exited through the back door of the building.

Arashi's dark eyes narrowed. "I WILL have my revenge."

******************************************************** ************

The brother-and-sister duo, Ryu and Akari, collapsed in the grass of the park, laughing their heads off. They didn't seem to mind the light shower of rain that fell. "Akari, you've put on weight," Ryu said, laughing.

"Shut up. No I haven't!"

"I'm just messing around with you!"

Akari grinned and looked up at the sky. "I wonder why we didn't to stuff like this when our parents were killed..."

"Ah, I guess it was a tough time for us. You know, with me having to support you, and make sure you stay healthy... I guess we just didn't have time for it, yanno?" Ryu crossed his arms behind his head, ignoring the wet grass under him.

Akari sighed. "I guesso." She looked at her brother. "Yanno, we should probably get back to the Koneko now. It's getting kinda late, I gotta be there to help close up."

She got up from the ground and stretched her arms out. A tall, slim figure caught her eye from nearby. It had blonde hair, and was clad in black leather. Akari recognized this immediately, and quickly lay back down. "Don't move," she whispered quickly to Ryu.

Ryu blinked. "Wha? Why?" He sat up.

Akari quickly pulled him back down. "Sit still!"

Ryu shrugged, confused.

The blonde man stopped walking, as if he was examining the area.

Akari held her breath, sweat pouring down her forehead, mixing with the wetness from the rain. The man looked around for a few more moments, then began walking again.

Akari briefly lifted her head, just as the man rounded the corner. She sat up and sighed in relief. "Okay. He's gone now."

Ryu sat up. "... Who the hell was that?" he asked.

"Swordfish... a member of the rival assassin group I told you about. If he saw you here... If anything were to happen to you... I don't know what I would do." She stood up, and offered a hand to her brother.

He took it, pulling himself up. "Let's get back now. It's getting dark. And who knows what kind of things happen at night?"

"Yeah. You should find a motel to stay in, or something. We're already kinda crowded as it is. Besides, we could get called out on a mission, and I wouldn't feel safe leaving you at the Koneko alone..."

"Yeah, okay." Ryu crossed his arms behind his head and looked up at the sky. It had stopped raining.

********************************************************* ************

"We're not so different, you know," the blue-haired girl said. She and Naoe Nagi were now walking through a random alley.

"I guess not," Nagi said. "For once, I feel like I can actually trust a person." Mei nodded in agreement.

"What do you think we can do about our assassin groups...? I bet Arashi is pretty pissed about how Crawford turned him down. What if he decides to rebel against Schwarz? I'll have to fight you, and I really don't want to... you're my friend, after all."

Nagi looked down at the ground. "I don't know... maybe, just maybe... I can try and put words into Crawford's mind. I can do that, ya know. I could convince him to work together with Schabön, and we would finally be rid of Weiß forever..."

Mei shrugged. "I guess that could work..." She suddenly stopped walking, looking straight ahead. "Oh, damn."

The tall shadowed person ahead of them began running at them, skidding to a halt right in front of Mei. (WHAT in the BLOODY HELL are you doing?!) he signed.

Mei narrowed her eyes. "Nothing," she snapped. "I should be asking YOU the same thing, Seishuku."

Seishuku crossed his arms. (Whatever. Let's just get back to the headquarters. Arashi is pretty damn pissed at you right now. The faster we get back, the less of an ass-kicking you'll recieve.)

The skinny girl sighed, looking to Nagi apologetically. "Sorry," she said.

Nagi nodded, adknowledging her apology. "It's alright. We can talk again sometime."

Mei showed one of her rare smiles, and gave a little wave as Seishuku grabbed her arm and began pulling her in the direction of the Schabön hideout.

Nagi watched her retreating back, sighing. It had been quite a while since he had made a new friend.

********************************************************** **********

"Been a while since you've had an official mission, ne?" the tall red-haired woman asked the group of assassins.

"Yep," Youji said, grinning at Manx, who looked at him, a bit disgusted.

"Shut up and pay attention to the mission briefing," Ken said, elbowing the older man.

Youji frowned, and looked to the man who had appeared on the screen. Technically, he was dead, but he continued to give the assassins their mission through a holographic video device.

"Greetings, Weiß. First off, I would like to welcome Calico to the group," Persia said from the screen, which was odd, considering he had died before he had even known that Akari had existed.

Akari blushed slightly.

"Now. Your mission..." Six pictures appeared on the screen. They contained a man with spiky crimson hair, a woman with violet hair pulled back with a black bandanna and a scar over her right eye, a blonde man, a man with a single lock of light blue hair, a young boy with a mess of tangled black hair, and a young girl with deep blue hair that was bunched behind her head. "Akai Arashi, Ikuso Soui, Ikazuchi Seishuku, Kengen Ryoku, Surudoi Hata, and Retsukari Mei... this is Schabön. They are wanted in three major Japanese cities, for random acts of murder, robbery, and fraud, among other things. Your mission is to bring them down... they will be gathered in the convention center, during the annual comic convention. Of course, there will be a fireworks display, and Schabön is planning on setting it off early, resulting in mass destruction and murder. Hunters of the night, deny these evil beasts their tomorrow." The video screen went black.

"... I think Persia's a tad late," Youji said. "We've been trying to get rid of Schabön for what, a week now?"

"Don't complain," Manx said crossly. She began walking up the stairs. "This is a big mission. Perhaps one of your biggest yet. You're going to need all of the strength you can get..."

********************************************************** **********

The convention center was surprisingly crowded. Several booths were set up, each of them selling different comics and manga, even doujinshis.

The five assassins were gathered in a large vent. "We're gonna have to be careful," Calico said. "My brother Ryu will probably be here... he loves comics." She looked down, through the opening of the vent. *There's a lot of people down there..* she thought. *I hope Ryu'll be okay...*

The voice of Siberian broke her thoughts. "It would be best to split up. There's a lot of innocent people in there..."

"And we've got to find Schabön before they shoot the fireworks," Bombay said.



"Wow, this is really great," Ryu said to himself as he browsed the many comic stands. In his hand was a bright red plastic bag, carrying several comic books. "Wish imoutochan coulda come with me, she'd like some of these shoujo mangas..." His eyes darted around the convention center, eyeing a small group of girls. But something interesting caught his eye.

Blonde hair. Pale skin. Black leather. Ryu's expression turned from excitement to worry. *That's that Swordfish guy that Akari told me about... maybe she's here!* He began walking faster, looking around even more.

From above, a black-haired figure peered from a vent.

A violet-haired woman shouldered through the crowd, her unscarred eye peering over the top of her sunglasses, scanning the crowd for a certain man.

[flashback]

"And why the HELL didn't you kick her ass?!" an angry Arashi shouted.

(I told you, damnit, she was with someone. Besides, it's the PARK. It would have caused too much of a riot,) Seishuku signed.

Arashi narrowed his eyes. "Tell me... what did this person look like?"

(Blonde hair, slightly darker than mine. Tall, skinny. Bangs falling over eyes, short sprig of hair hanging from the nape of his neck...)

"The brother..." Arashi's expression turned from one of anger, to one of insane evil. "Yes... the only person she has left... once we are rid of him, then the little wench will have NOTHING. She'll gladly die, to join her beloved family... Soui!"

"Yessir?" The tall woman gripped her nunchucks.

"You are to search out this man. I don't care where, just find the bastard."

[/flashback]

Dolphin continued elbowing her way through the loosely packed crowd, continuing to scan the people. Her eyes fell on a man with blonde hair... Nunchucks in hand, she charged forward, gripping the man by the elbow, and dragging him aroudn the corner.

She raised her nunchucks, ready to strike.

(Damnit, Dolphin! What the hell are you doing?!) a furious movement of hands asked.

Dolphin blinked, sunglasses sliding down her nose. "Swordfish? The 'ell?"

(Bachiatari yaro! I am NOT the target! Get it through that thick-ass skull of yours!) He stormed away, face red with anger.

Dolphin stood there blinking for a moment. "That jerk..."



The three older members of Weiß had gone in seperate directions, leaving Bombay and Calico in their starting place. "So... now what?" Calico asked.

"Well..." Bombay had an arrow ready in his hand. "Now, we wait. We've gotta take out as many Schabön members as we can right now..." He peered out the vent, the light from the large room below them casting shadows on his face. He appeared to be studying the crowd.

*I hope Ryu's okay down there...* Calico thought to herself.

Bombay took notice of her slightly distressed expression. "Hey, what's wrong?" he asked, concerned for his friend.

"... I'm just worried about my brother, that's all..." she said. "We've always been really close, and I don't know what I'd do if he were hurt. He's the only one that truly understands me, the only one I've ever had..."

Bombay lightly placed a hand on her shoulder. "Hey, don't worry about it. Schabön's going down tonight, whether they like it or not. Daijoubu, your oniisan'll be fine!" He grinned. His attention turned from Calico to the commotion erupting beneath them. They quickly peered out of the vent, seeing a blonde man and a violet-haired woman beginning to argue.

"You need t' stay outta me damn way, ass!" the woman shouted.

(You should talk! You're the one mistaking me for the enemy!) the man signed, flashing several obscene gestures at the woman.

"... It's Dolphin and Swordfish!" Bombay said. "Calico. You go down to the vent by the ground and take care of Dolphin. I'll get Swordfish from up here."

Calico nodded. "Okay. ...be careful," she whispered, before making her way down the vent, where it branched off.

Bombay loaded the dart into his crossbow, taking careful aim at Swordfish.



Calico landed a bit roughly, in the lower vent. She looked out, tetsume in hand. Dolphin and Swordfish had drawn their weapons, and were glaring at each other menacingly. A small crowd had formed around the light scuffle. Among them was Ryu, a confused expression on his face.

"Ryu!" Calico whispered to herself. She looked up to the other vent, where Bombay had aimed his arrow, right at Swordfish's back.


Dolphin smirked. "Looks like I won't have t' kill yeh after all," she said, her gaze rising up to where Bombay was hiding.

Swordfish turned around and grabbed the arm of a random person from the crowd, using him as a shield, just as the arrow left it's position.



Bombay's eyes opened wide, realizing what he had just done. "Kuso!" He began to scramble down the vent.



Calico looked on in horror at the scene that had just taken place. She held her hands to her gaping mouth, shaking. "N... no..."

Swordfish stood there, uninjured, holding a shocked Ryu by the arms. An arrow protruded from his bleeding chest. Swordfish and Dolphin looked at each other, then quickly fled the area, leaving a limp-bodied Ryu to fall to the ground.

"K... K-Kami-sama..." Her eyes began to tear wildly, as she shook her head in denial. "RYUUUUUU!!!" she screamed loudly, tearing at the aluminum gate which covered the vent. She charged it with her shoulder, finally breaking it down. Her face wet with tears, she streaked toward her fallen sibling. She felt someone grab her around the waist.

"Akari, stop! Schabön's gone, we have to get after them!" Omi's voice said from behind her.

"Let me goooo!!" Akari yelled, wrenching herself from Omi's grasp. She kneeled down by Ryu's side, grabbing the arrow and yanking it out of his chest. "Ryu... Ryu!"

He struggled with the pain, opening one eye to look at his younger sister. "Akari... what's wrong?" He reached up with a shaking hand, touching her cheek.

Akari clutched her brother's hand and held it to her. "Ryu... don't you dare die on me! You can't leave me here!" Tears ran down her face.

Ryu smiled sadly. "Gomen nasai, imoutochan... but it's my time. I've lived long enough. You know how to live on your own..." He winced in pain. "'Sides, you've got four great guys to look after you... you don't need me anymore. You're old enough to deal with this, I mean... just look at our parents."

"Ryu, I can't. I'm not strong enough! Please... don't leave me..." She gripped at his shirt, resting her head on his chest.

"Hey now, quit that..." Ryu ran his fingers through Akari's black ponytail. "You are strong. Stronger than anyone I know... and ya know? You have my class ring, and... itai... I'm always gonna be with you. Always."

"Damnit Ryu, don't you dare tell me I'm strong! You're the only one I have in the world! Don't die! Please..." She sobbed into his shirt.

"Tch, I'm not. Lookit Omi-san there. He's here for you. And so are the other guys. Don't worry about me... I'll say hi to Okaasan and Otousan for you, okay?"

Akari lifted her head, to look at her brother. "I love you, Ryu..."

Ryu smiled. "I love you too, imoutochan..." With that, he took a shuddering breath.

"Ryu... Ryu?" She pressed his fingers to his throat, to check for a pulse.

Nothing.

"No... Kami... NOOOO!!"


Akari's scream echoed through the entire convention center, alerting the four other members of Schabön, as well as Abyssinian, Siberian, and Balinese. The three of them quickly clambered through the vents, to where the scream originated.



"Akari? Akari!" Her arms were flailing wildly, her hands balled into fists. Omi gripped her by the wrists, in an attemtp to calm her down.

"He's gone, Omi! Gone!" she cried, squeezing her eyes shut. "Damnit, I told him not to leave me!" She buried her face in his shoulder, sobbing.

A stunned Omi wrapped his arms around the shaking girl. "Akari... shh..." He didn't know what to do. *It's my fault that this is happening... God, I'm so stupid! Baka baka baka! Damnit... she probably hates me now... I've killed the only one left in her life...*

"Omi!"

He looked up, to see Aya, Ken, and Youji running toward them. "What the hell happened here?" Youji asked.

Omi looked at the ground in guilt. The three others' eyes travelled from Omi, to the convulsing Akari, to the unmoving body of Ryu.

"Holy..." Ken bent down next to the two youngest members of Weiß, and wrapped his arms around both of them. A few moments later came Youji, and even Aya. The five of them were enveloped in a large embrace.

********************************************************* ************

"THAT LITTLE &*(#^@&*)#^@&*"

The five other members of Schabön sweatdropped as the raging Arashi knocked over chairs and tables.

"WE WERE SO FRIGGIN' CLOSE!! AND THOSE BRATS HAD TO GO AND SPOIL EVERYTHING!!!" Arashi screamed, his face bright red with anger. He threw a vicious punch at the wall beside him, creating a large hole. "YOU IMCOMPETENT *FOOLS*!" He yelled at Soui and Seishuku.

"You HAD to go and start one of your little quarrels, didn't you?! You've ruined EVERYTHING we had going!!! We were going to be rid of Weiß AND that Nagareboshi harlot for good! You MORONS!!!"

(Well... look at it this way, at least we're rid of the brother...)

Arashi shoved Seishuku roughly into the wall. "FORGET ABOUT THE BROTHER! You could have killed him without starting a fight!! You IDIOTS!!"

"Blimey, Arashi... we'll do better nex' time, honest!" Soui said, waving her hands in front of her.

"You damn well better. Because next time you screw up, you're out. Both of you."