Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Sanctuary ❯ Sanctuary ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I don't own 'em

It's cold. Despite the fact that I turned the heat up in the room, it remains cold. I curl up tighter beneath three blankets. The exterior warmth does nothing to help me. I'm shivering. I want to cry, but I'm afraid. I don't want the others to know about this. I can't let them know…

It bothers me. The missions, the killing, the blood. It reaches down deep inside me and pulls at my heart. I never really asked for this. If I could give it up, I would. Live a normal life untainted by the blood… the death. I know that it's just a dream. I could never be normal. I could never go back to the way things were.

My thoughts drift lazily as I make an attempt to fall asleep. This is the fourth time I've tried. Each time I close my eyes, though, the screams return. Voices that belong to lives I helped extinguish. I can hear them clearly, yet I cannot hear them at all. They speak to me, yet they have no voice. I'm unable to place them to a face. There are times when I don't see their faces at all before I claim their lives.

I'm unable to sleep. Perhaps a walk would help to quell the agonizing cries in my head. I climb out of bed and slip soundlessly out the door. Cautiously, I glance down the darkened hallway before I start to move. I don't want to wake anyone. I would be afraid of what they would say if they saw me wandering around at this hour.

I reach the door closest to the stairs before tripping over something lying in the hall. I hiss in pain as my knee connects with the banister, then fall silent. What if someone heard that? I sit in the darkness for a while. No sound issues from behind closed doors. For now, I go unnoticed.

Making an effort to stand, I take another step, hesitant of what else might be lying in the dark. Unfortunately, I must've twisted my body when I fell. My foot doesn't connect with the floor, but open air. The stairs. I grab for the banister and miss, my body pitching forward.

That HAD to wake someone…

But again, the doors remain closed. The lights remain off. Those within remain in slumber. The floor is cold. Colder than I am. I don't want to lie there all night. Slowly, I drag myself to my feet and start back up the stairs.

I don't want to return to my room. Although it's warmer there than it is out here, I can't bring myself to do it. I don't want to be trapped in there with the voices. I pause outside the nearest door - the one closest to the staircase. Maybe he'll be awake. I reach out and gently open the door.

I'm greeted by a slender thread of moonlight, snaking its way in through a gap in the curtains and illuminating the sleeping figure in the bed. The blankets are partially tossed aside revealing smooth skin and a slender body. A part of me feels as if I've committed a grievous sin. Like I've just intruded upon some holy sanctuary. I bite my lip before turning to leave.

A soft rustle of cloth catches my attention. Turning back, I can see him watching me. So he wasn't asleep after all… His voice, slurred by sleep, whispers, "Wha's wrong?" I shake my head. I don't want him to worry about me. "Go back to sleep", I reply softly. He growls irritably, although in his current state, it sounds more like a dull purr. I resist the sudden urge to laugh. He looks for all the world like a rumpled kitten. Sighing, I decide to let him have what he wants.

"Can't sleep."

He smiles slightly, propping himself up on his elbows. "Me either."

I just blink and stare. He must think I'm an idiot. I know I'd think I was…

He laughs softly, a nothing more than a faint chuckle, moves closer to the wall, and, shifting his weight to his left arm, lifts the edge of the blankets with his right. "Don' tell me ya jus' wanna stand there all night..."

Shaking my head again, I move toward the bed giving him plenty of time to change his mind. He drops his arm and pouts, then gets out of bed. I freeze as he walks toward me. What is he doing? What's going on? He moves behind me and puts his hands on my shoulders, pushing me to his bed. He's warm. I smile slightly, knowing that he can't see it, and let him have his way.

After pushing me down onto the bed, I feel the mattress shift as he climbs over me and settles in. He pulls the blankets up over us. I'm in shock. I'm not really used to this… to having someone lead me around and into their bed. I lie on my back, not really knowing what to do with myself. Suddenly, I feel a warmth drape over me and something tickle my nose. I glance down to see him curled up against me, his body partially covering mine, his arms wrapped around me, his fingers toying idly with my hair. His head is resting lightly against my collarbone. His hair was what had been tickling my nose. I reach up and gently brush the crimson strands away, marveling at how silky they are. His skin is warm and surprisingly soft, pressed against mine. I rest my hand against his head, bringing the other up to lie across his back. I can feel his eyelashes fluttering against my chest, feel his breath dance lightly along my skin. "Oyasumi," I murmur into his hair. His reply is so soft that I barely catch it. "'Yasumi."

I close my eyes… and the voices are stilled. A smile touches my lips. I had found my respite in the arms of another. He is my sanctuary.