Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Tainted Blood ❯ We got a problem ( Chapter 8 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Tainted Blood

by myka

Chapter 8

"We got a problem"

A/N: Hello. I got this one posted pretty fast ^-^ I created a group just for Yohji and Schu. The link is on my bio and on my website.
Thanks again to Mini for betaing.

~~~

Yohji gazed at the ceiling, unable to fall asleep. His calm breathing was joined by that of another. Schuldig apparently had no trouble at all falling asleep, much less with an arm sprawled across Yohji's chest; one which Yohji hadn't removed for reasons unknown to him. The contact felt true; appropriate…It was all very weird.

They say there's a calm before the storm; but in this particular case, there was one afterwards too.

The clock by his bed read 5:30am; dawn was just around the corner and he had to get up in half an hour; no real point going to sleep now. Slowly and carefully, Yohji removed himself from the bed and headed out; he left the door to his room open as he glided across the living room towards the bathroom.

Amazingly enough he recognized his image in the mirror. And even though he felt well and fit; the already closed wound on his neck and the blood that had dried from it said otherwise. Because for all he knew, a wound like that should have been fatal.

The warm water from the shower covered his body and disappeared down the drain in a pinkish color. Afterwards he covered his lower body with a towel and headed back to his room. He glanced out the window and noticed that the sky was already covered with the purple colors of the pre-dawn; Schuldig was still sleeping. One good look at his bed and Yohji decided that he would have to throw out all the bed sheets since there was no possible way to clean them discreetly. They were filthy with blood and…other things. The door to his closet opened noiselessly and Yohji picked out his clothes for the day; among them a green turtleneck sweater that would cover Schuldig's 'little' mark on his neck.

He had barely finished dressing when there was a scream.

Yohji quickly turned toward the source of the scream to see Schuldig falling to the floor and scrambling away from the bed. He half walked, half ran towards the telepath; kneeling by his side once he had reached him. Schuldig instantly latched on to Yohji, his bare hands a little above the other's chest and burying his face in the space between his neck and collarbone; as he tried to catch his breath. For a few seconds Yohji didn't know what to do; but he finally opted for placing one hand on the German's head and another on his neck.

"What happened, Schuldig?" He asked.

The readhead kept taking deep breaths and Yohji didn't urge a response, he just waited until it came.

"Hurts…Something burns…"

Yohji squinted his eyes in confusion. Then he looked up at the window and noticed a small ray of sunlight directed straight at the bed. The blond assassin raised his hand tentatively towards the small ray, letting his fingers move through it…nothing happened, nothing hurt. He gazed back at Schuldig, whose breathing had calmed down and placed his hand on his bare back pulling him in a soft embrace as he tried to comfort him.

The redhead instantly became calm at the feeling of his body being closer to Yohji's. Right then, it was all he needed.

~~~

The curtains had been closed; the bed sheets had been changed. Schuldig had taken a shower and was now browsing through Yohji's closet for something to wear.

Yohji didn't do anything but stare.

There had been no verbal truce; there just was a truce. And for Yohji the thought that most disturbed him was that everything felt…right. It was the first time he had slept with a man and even if he at the beginning had been kind of on the unwilling side; at the end their lovemaking had been a very mutual act indeed. That was what made the silent truce even more understandable. So Yohji just stared; lost in thought; as his now lover put on his favorite black shirt. Apparently the redhead didn't care if the quite noticeable bite on his neck could be seen.

"It's not like I'm going anywhere" Schuldig suddenly spat as he closed the closet doors.

"I don't really think the sun is the problem, Schu. It doesn't bother me. Why don't I just open the curtains to prove it?" Yohji stood and took only one step towards his window.

"Don't you dare open those curtains Yohji!" Schuldig instantly ordered in a fiery voice. "And…" he added more calmly. "Did you just make up a nickname for me?" He asked in slight disbelief.

"Yeah" Yohji answered quickly, "Your name's too hard to pronounce."

Schuldig stood there speechless and quite annoyed at the moment. "Schu…Schu?! Is he insane?!"

"I don't ever want to hear that nickname come out of your mouth, Balinese," the redhead barked back.

Yohji blinked at him. He could push the argument further and it could become one of those conversations he would never ever forget. But he had to go down to open up the shop in fifteen minutes.

"Fine then. I have to get to work anyway." Yohji stood up and started to leave.

"What about breakfast?"

Yohji turned towards him. "What? You can't possibly be hungry. I think you had enough last night." He exclaimed as he pointed discreetly towards his neck.

Schuldig took three quick steps towards him. "Well, you had your fair share too!" He almost yelled as he made the wound on is neck even more evident. "Aren't you hungry?" He asked.

Yohji opened his mouth to reply; but opted to stop and think about what the German had just said. He was hungry; at least a little.

Schuldig smirked instantly closing the space between them and morphing his attitude from annoying to needy. "Please…" He purred as he pulled down the cloth from Yohji's neck. "I won't leave a big mark…promise."

A sort of heat rushed up taking over Yohji's facial features.

"No!" The words came out hastily and forced as Yohji held Schuldig's shoulders and pushed him away. "I'll bring you something from the kitchen, just stay put."

Schuldig grinned even wider. "I really like when you panic."

~~~

Ken stared at Yohji wide eyed as the blond cursed for the twentieth time since he had stopped by the kitchen for some breakfast.

"Is everything alright Yohji?" He asked calmly.

"Just peachy." the other replied as he stuffed a piece of toast down his throat. "Rough night."

"Sure…" Ken replied sarcastically, to which Yohji gave him a glare that killed the subject. "Well, I'm gonna go get the shop ready. See you in a bit."

Yohji was oblivious to this and he barely noticed when Ken left the kitchen. He was furious.

Furious that Schuldig didn't know the meaning of the word 'no' and furious at mostly himself for not being able to resist the German more effectively. Because now his turtleneck sweater wasn't hiding one, but two bite marks. The coffee that went down his throat tasted liked nothing at all, and Yohji let it drain down the sink instead.

He was convinced that whatever had caused the telepath some pain this morning had nothing to do with the sun. Even though the morning rays annoyed him to some extent, they just didn't burn. His determination to find a cure hadn't wavered, for him and for the redhead. He hadn't forgotten how Schuldig had fallen into that equation…guilt. Yohji felt that it was his responsibility to turn the telepath back to normal since it was he who had bitten the redhead to begin with.

Now it was just a little bit more than just guilt.

But Yohji couldn't think about that right now. That was more information that his brain and emotions could deal with at the moment. His first priority was finding the only source of a possible cure; the one who had started all this…Rayne.

~~~

Schuldig had made a final judgment on the situation; there was no doubt in his mind at all. Yohji's DVD collection sucked beyond comparison. And the worst part was that he had to stand it because he had nowhere to go; or, more specifically, he couldn't go anywhere.

He had pondered a little about Yohji's little hypothesis that the sun wasn't the problem. And some part of Schuldig really wanted to believe that; but he just refused to open the curtains and go through all that again. If Yohji had at least the slightest idea about how it had felt he wouldn't have suggested such a thing as opening the curtains.

But that was pretty irrelevant right now really; his plan had worked wonderfully after all.

He had set out to make the blond his and not only had he achieved this; at the end Yohji had been a very willing participant indeed. The fact that Yohji's thoughts were as confused as his own only troubled him slightly. The two that most annoyed him were the word 'lover' he had extracted from the blond's mind and the nickname 'Schu' he had heard from his mouth. Those were dangerous words indeed.

More what they represented, that what they meant. An attachment, a connection, something much more than just lust.

They were dangerous words indeed.

Because just like Yohji, Schuldig thought so too...something felt right.

~~~

It took approximately two hours for Kritiker's main computer to do a thorough search of a person. Specifically because Yohji had only a rough description of said person as well as just her first name; which might not even be her real name.

It was late. Yohji had given Schuldig a late, late lunch consisting of some common Japanese cuisine. The German had protested and had tried to bite Yohji again. But Yohji had successfully avoided him with the excuse that he was just being annoying on purpose. Yohji had felt no surge of bloodlust since the night before and since Schuldig was in the same situation he shouldn't be having any either. Conclusion; the telepath was being a pain just for the fun of it; and Yohji had had about enough of the little game.

So in the end Schuldig had sat quietly on the bed and ate whatever Yohji had given him.

That had been almost three hours ago and Yohji was getting desperate. He wanted to be home before nightfall to make sure that Schuldig stayed put in his apartment. But finding Rayne was more important; she was the only one who could give Yohji the answers he desperately needed.

Manx had been a great help with this. Yohji had asked and she didn't question his motives. Sure, she had demanded one; but just a look and speaking the words 'it's personal' had been enough for her.

Yohji stretched his legs and arms; trying to find a more comfortable position in the small chair he was sitting. This was taking too long for his liking. Someone suddenly coughed at his side and Yohji turned to see Manx's smiling face along with a folder in her hand.

"I think we hit the jackpot" she commented, sitting down beside him. "An exact match of the description you gave us; even the name matched." she said passing the folder to Yohji.

"Then why did you have so much trouble finding her?" Yohji asked as he opened the folder and browsed through it, recognizing Rayne's picture in an instant.

"Because I started searching for recent files. She appeared on the missing person's list." She answered calmly.

"What does that have to do with anything?" Yohji asked, still confused.

"Yohji..." Manx replied with a little concern in her voice. "This woman disappeared more than thirty years ago."

~~~

He had to accept it now. That was the last bit of clue he needed. Rayne...the woman he had met; the one who had started all this...

When he met her she didn't look a day older than twenty-two; but according to the records found by Kritiker she was reaching her fifty-sixth birthday.

A vampire...

The sun had fallen over half an hour ago when Yohji finally reached the Koneko no Sume Ie and unlocked the backdoor to gain entrance to the kitchen.

"Tadaima!"

Yohji froze.

His sense of smell became wild and his stomach did a somersault.

The air had the undisguisable scent of copper. The air all around him smelled like blood.

Yohji's feet moved on their own. He left the kitchen in a quick pace to find Aya's body sprawled on the floor and covered in blood; Ken was just close to him, right at the bottom of the stairs His fingers quickly pressed against his teammate's neck in search of a pulse. A sigh of relief escaped Yohji's lips when he found it quickly. Weiss' redhead was just unconscious. A better look made Yohji realize that Aya wasn't even hurt; the blood wasn't his.

Ken's pulse was also strong, but on the other hand he had a deep wound in his forearm. Yohji snatched a towel from the kitchen and covered it the best he could.

"Who's down there?"

The voice had been soft spoken and there was a tinge of fear in it. It was Omi's voice.

Yohji rushed up the stairs towards the source of the voice to find Omi sitting at the base of the second floor. Omi sat with a tired and slightly panicked look on his face. He was covering a gash on his left arm with his right hand. Yohji could see that his leg was broken or at least sprained. But the worst wound was on his neck. Someone had bitten him.

Schuldig...

"Omi!" Yohji was instantly by his side. "What happened Omi? Who attacked you? Was it someone from Schwarz? Was it Sch..."

"No" Omi interrupted. "No Schwarz. It was a girl; a girl and some guy."

"What?"

"That girl...she bit me...said something about me...that I was a good candidate or something." The teenager said with a look of pain on his face. Yohji removed his sweater and gave it to Omi to cover the wound on his neck.

"Do you know why they attacked you?"

"They were looking for something. They went to your room Yohji... They took something."

Yohji's heart skipped a beat... something.

"Let me call for some help. I'll be right back." He said and Omi nodded.

Yohji ran to his apartment, it felt like his legs weren't getting him there fast enough. His door was wide open. There had been a fight in this room; a big one. He could see splatters of blood all around. He rushed to his bedroom.

It was empty.

Schuldig was gone.

There was a piece of paper on the floor beside a small puddle of blood.

"If you want him back, I'll be where we met."

~~~