Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ The Coven ❯ Lines Crossed ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Coven - Chapter 4 - Lines crossed
 
 
At Zena University…
 
 
Omi arrived just in time to see the ambulance carrying Roberto's corpse away to the morgue with Yoji tailing behind them. The students cluttered in groups, comforting each other. Sara and the other student member council were far behind. She was crying uncontrollably. At the other end, the Dean and the teachers stared at each other helplessly. For an educational institution, three deaths spelled disaster. The Dean looked at the clock worriedly, watching the hands ticking, as if he was counting down the seconds towards to his early retirement. Sudden deaths were nothing new to Omi but it never failed to create a new meaning of failure and rage. Sensing that Sara was his best option, he proceeded towards her, keeping a sharp lookout for danger. The moment Sara saw him, she ran into his arms, bursting a fresh flow of tears.
 
“Kazuki!” She cried. “Have you heard? Roberto's dead.”
 
“They believed he died of a heart attack,” said a girl, standing beside Sara. Her eyes were red from crying. “Roberto…”
 
“Was murdered!” Sara nearly shrieked. “They killed him! Eva! They killed him.”
 
“Sara. Please!” Eva hushed. “Control yourself. They can hear you.”
 
“Maybe, we should go somewhere we can talk without people eavesdropping.” Omi suggested. “Surely, there is a few hiding places in this university.”
 
“Yes, I think we could go there.” Eva nodded, leading the weeping Sara by the arm.
 
 
Minutes later…
 
 
Climbing up a ladder, Omi took his time observing the cold stonewalls. There were stories of the university was a monastery, once upon a time. There were many renovations done before its official opening. No doubt, there were many places that were accidentally looked over. Obviously, its secrets were discovered and handed to a chosen few through word of mouth. Pulling himself higher, he saw markings craved into the walls. Either curves or lines, Western or Asian, coloured or not, they littered the walls like the stars in the night skies.
 
When he reached the top, he found himself in a place that he believed to be an attic. It was very spacious and homely with its cushions, lamps and a tiny storage area at a corner. Looking up, he saw talismans of all sorts dangling in vividly. At the other end of the attic, he saw a humble figural of the crucified Christ. Models of the infamous biblical angels were gathered at his feet.
 
“Paid no heed to the surroundings,” said Eva quietly, settling herself onto a cushion. “They were there for precaution. Are you thirsty?”
 
“Not ready.” Omi looked at Sara. She seemed to be calm down a bit. “Sara, how are you feeling?”
 
“Kazuki…” Sara spoke like the dead. “Why did you come here?”
 
“I was transferred here.”
 
“Transferred for what?” Eva questioned. “Forgive our intrusion. We did some investigation on your background. Single child. Parents working overseas. Currently staying with your cousins. Reasonable descriptions on your educational history. Very well covered but unconvincing. You might not recall but you worked at a florist some years ago. You and a few others in some mobile florist vehicle.” She produced some photos. “You were at my high school that day. My friend took a snap shot of you. That was you, wasn't it?”
 
Numbly, Omi took a glance at the photos.
 
“Look, I am not here to blackmail you. All I want to know is that are you someway connected to Kelly and Hiroto's death?” She opened an astrology book. ”See.” She pointed at a paragraph. “It said that in the darkest perils of the storm, a beacon of light would appear, springing Hope to the needy. The moment I saw you, I knew you were here for a reason. That was why you could make friends with Sara and Roberto so easily on your first day. I didn't introduce myself because I needed to make sure that you were the one.”
 
“Eva. Sara. Let's make a few things clear first. You are right to say that I am here for a reason but I am not the Messiah that you think I am. My real name is Omi Tsukiyono, working undercover as a student named Kazuki Asataka, to investigate the deaths of Hiroto and Kelly. My superiors have enough reason to believe that their deaths were not accidental as concluded by the police. For the past few days, I have my suspicions on Gau and his gang. However, I cannot make the connection between them and Hiroto and Kelly's death, which I sense you two are able if you trust me.”
 
The two girls looked at each other for a while. In a silent concord, Eva flicked opened a lighter and waved its tiny flames over the photos.
 
“Your friend…” said Omi, watching the flames hungrily consuming the photos.
 
“Doesn't matter.” Eva threw it into a clay container. “She's already married. Take it as a sign of good will. Now that settled. We will tell you what we know. Sara?”
 
 
 
“It all started when Hiroto first came to school,” Sara continued, hugging a cushion tightly. “For Kelly, it was love at first sight. It didn't take long for them to start a relationship. All went well till we watched that stupid horror movie. It was for fun, to get ourselves scared. For Hiroto, it was different. He became obsessed with the supernatural and hooked himself on all sorts of junk. During the summer holidays, he secretly took a trip to Thailand. At first, Kelly was very upset but she forgave him and wanted to pick him up from the airport as a surprise. Eva, Roberto and I went with her to give moral support. It was there when we saw him with Gau, Michalik and Raphael. Kelly went pale. I don't know why. She vaguely mentioned she knew Gau from childhood. She didn't say anything about the other two.”
 
“When Hiroto returned to school, Kelly confronted him. It was ugly, left Kelly broken hearted. She skipped lessons for a week, then, she managed to get her family doctor to arrange for her to be absent from school for a month. Meanwhile, Hiroro was happily hanging out with them. By then, he was a changed person. He quitted the student council and a whole lot of things. Finally, when we could no longer stand it, Roberto and I brazened out with him. We also persuaded him to attend the party that Roberto, Eva and I had planned to cheer her up. To give him a chance for him to patch things up with Kelly. Never did we realize that the party would result in her death!” She burst into tears again.
 
“The party,” Omi asked. “What exactly happened?”
 
“We were downstairs,” Eva continued, seeing that Sara sobbing. “Kelly was in her room, refusing to come down. Roberto was outside. He was in charge of the barbeque thing. Sara was in the kitchen. I was in the living room, attending to our classmates when Michalik appeared. He wasn't invited but we didn't care. Michalik wasn't a hooligan like Gau. He doesn't talk much. Then, Kelly came down. They started talking. I couldn't hear them. She brought him upstairs. I tried to follow but Kelly told me to back off. Some time later, I saw Hiroto and Raphael. Hiroto saw me and wanted to know where Kelly was. I pointed him to Kelly's room. He went in. I turned around and couldn't find Raphael. I guessed he was giving Hiroto a lift.”
 
“Then came the horrible scream.” Eva's cheeks filched at the memory. “I will never forget it. Then, the loud crashing. Everybody ran out. And there was Kelly's broken body, lying that mass pool of blood.” She gripped the cushion tightly. “Her face. The expression. Her eyes. She had seen the Devil.”
 
“Where were Hiroto and Michalik at that time?”
 
“The police found Hiroto at the staircase, distraught. Some said he was crying. I hope that bastard did. As for Michalik,” Eva shrugged her shoulders. “He was gone.”
 
“He killed Kelly,” Sara burst out half-hysterically. “I know he did it. They killed Hiroto too. We saw him, didn't we, Eva? He nearly got into a fight with Gau and others at the cafeteria. Remember?”
 
“Yes, he did. At that time, Hiroto was avoiding anybody. I tried talking to him every now and then but he ignored me. The last time I saw him, he was heading for Juzte Street. You know what happened to him after that.”
 
“Kelly, Hiroto, Roberto… it's us next!” Sara clutched Omi by the wrists. Her eyes were widened with unimaginable fear. “Don't you see? You have to stop them.”
 
“Sara, please.” Eva pulled her back. “As long as we stay here or wear our amulets when we go outside, they can't touch us.”
 
“Roberto mentioned he and a few others used the board to provoke Kelly and Hiroto's spirits,” said Omi. “Would he be mentioning you two?”
 
“He told you?” Eva questioned. Sara was taken back. “Was he wearing any amulets or anything when he told you? Was he?”
 
“I don't know…” Omi replied with uncertainty. “I didn't notice.”
 
“They must have heard him,” concluded Eva monotonously.
 
“We are going to die!” Sara wailed. Immediately, Eva slapped her.
 
“Get a grip on yourself.” She hissed. “Panicking won't get anything done.”
 
“Pardon me for asking.” Omi tried to change the subject. “Why did you all try the board?”
 
“I come from a family of shamans,” Eva replied briskly. “It is what we do. That also explains all the talismans and markings in this attic. It's our only sanctuary in school.”
 
“Why don't you try to stay at home till this thing blows over?”
 
“How for long?” Sara asked softly, rubbing her sore cheek. “My parents will start asking questions.”
 
“It won't take long, I promise. Nevertheless, I feel that it is safer for you two to stay away from school.”
 
“It doesn't matter.” Eva cut in. “Whether we hide or stay, it won't make a difference.”
 
 
Somewhere else…
 
 
Picking up a dart, Gau flung it at the target board. Like a speeding bullet, it flew and hit directly in the middle. Another bull's eyes. Another child's play. Another boredom.
 
“Gau,” Raphael interrupted. His voice was hard. “Why did you kill Roberto? His death is pointless.”
 
“I told you before. I don't like people tossing me aside like I'm some used object. Michalik knows what I mean. Don't you?”
 
“Yes,” Michalik robotically replied.
 
“This is getting out of hand. Someone will find out sooner or later.”
 
“Chill,” Gau took a gulp of beer. “Nobody is finding out.”
 
“We are supposed to persuade Kazuki to join us. How is killing Roberto going to achieve that? You are making too much attention.” He shot his finger at Michalik. “This wouldn't happen if you hadn't lost control. By then, we would still have our full powers. Not wasting time obtaining the fourth.”
 
“We already have,” Michalik answered monotonously. “It's Kazuki.”
 
“What makes you think he will join us?” Raphael argued. “He is not going to be easy as Hiroto back in Thailand. Remember what the witchdoctor said? Once the circle is broken, it will come back to us three times more. We don't have much time.”
 
“Everything is going as planned,” said Gau confidently. “We just got a little side tracked.” Michalik's lips curled at a corner. “Before we can proceed, there are some things that require our attention.” He held out two fingers. “Eva and Sara.”
 
“I can't sense their presence.” Michalik waved a crystal-like object over the school map. “They are hiding. Kazuki too.”
 
“So, that shaman whore, Eva, must have discovered our plans,” Gau sighed mockingly. “You should have told me her background a little earlier, Raphael. Therefore, she will be your responsibility.”
 
“What do you mean?” Raphael demanded.
“Let me put this plainly.” Gau extended the last word. “Either you tell her to back off and get on with her miserable life or you will do something about it.” There was a wicked twinkle in his eyes. “I don't care how you do it but I prefer her pushing up the daises, if you know what I mean.”
 
“You are crazy. Both of you! You are acting like monsters.” Raphael headed for the door. “I want no part of this.”
 
As soon as he touched the knob, a powerful invisible force gripped his wrist, pulling him down onto the floor. He fell on all fours. Struggling, he lifted his head. He saw anger blazing in Gau's eyes. His hands swooped down to clutch both sides of his head.
 
“Listen to me, you spat of dirt!” He snarled. “Remember how you were before we found you. An outcast despised by your own family.” Raphael felt his skull cracking. “On your own will, we agreed to create this coven. We flew to Thailand to achieve this. Luckily, Hiroto was willing to join us. A mistake, perhaps, but it doesn't matter. All we have to do is to dispose those who are in our way. Remember. If we do not rebuild the circle, it will return three times more. Now,” He lifted Raphael's head higher. “Either you do your part or sink together with us.”
 
“Gau,” Michalik whispered, wrapping his arm around Gau's neck. “Please don't do anything rash. Let him go. He will do what is asked, won't you?”
 
“Yes,” Raphael gasped. Darkness was overpowering him.
 
“Very well.” Gau released reluctantly. Raphael collapsed, sprawled out flat on the floor. “Don't come back unless it's done,” He warned. “Otherwise, you will suffer a fate worse than Hiroto's.”
 
 
In the house that Kelly died…
 
 
“So, this is the place where it started,” Ken whistled. “Man, these people surely know the meaning of spending. What news of our recent decreased, Roberto Churko?”
 
“Heart attack.” Yoji replied. “Another health mystery. Healthy young man dropping dead.” He pointed. “There. That's the balcony where she fell.”
 
“Whoa. What a height.” Ken took a peek. Surveying around, he noticed something. “Say, what's that?” He picked a broken piece of glass. “Must be from those doors.” He lifted the silky white curtains. “Someone must have slammed it real hard.”
 
“Hell hath no place for a woman's scorn,” Yoji commented, his eyes carefully studying the surroundings. “I can't help feeling I'm missing something. She had rich parents. Both of them are working, so, that leaves her often unsupervised. I bet she's hiding something. It won't be at her home. The maids might find it. I think this is the best place.”
 
“What do you expect?” Ken scoffed. “A secret hiding place?”
 
“Yup.” Yoji treaded the wooden floors, one plank at the time. At a heavy creak, he bent down and pushed away the rug. With a penknife, he slide it along the edge. Barely a second, the plank moved. “See?” Removing it, he took out a bag. Unzipping it, he took out a disc. Tapping it with his fingers, he moved towards the video player and inserted it inside. Ken switched on the television.
 
The two moved back, with arms folded across their chests. The screen flickered a few seconds before it displayed the disc's contents. It was Kelly with her friends. They were laughing. They were at the beach, shopping malls, cafés… anyplace that was deemed cool and popular. Then, the screen flickered and suddenly switched to a room. The scene was very different. Very wrong. Very disturbing.
 
Yoji's jaw dropped wide opened. As his brows arched higher than usual, his throat managed to croak out two words.
 
“Bon Dieu…”
 
 
At Zena University…
 
 
The bell had rung. Most of the students had left the school premises. A few remained. Eva was one of them. Eva hardly talked about her shaman family. She didn't want to. There were some things best unspoken. After sending Sara home in a taxi, she headed towards the school field where there was a back gate, hidden by the trees. Although the gate was locked as long as she could recollect, there were many ways to get in. Looking up, she saw the sun's reddish orange rays racing across the skies. The birds were flying to their nests, singing a hymn like tune as they flew by. She stood there, drinking in the warmth. At least, it would be a good memory to take when the darkness falls.
 
She heard the crushing sound of grasses. She also heard footsteps. It was sluggish. It was hard. Turning around, she saw an athletic young man whose features strikingly resembled an ancient swordsman. His dark sapphire eyes were darkened by driven emotions. He was breathing heavily. She noticed a light purplish bruise on his left cheek.
 
“Raphael.” She said soundlessly.
 
“Ran, Eva.” Raphael said bitterly. “You, Sara and Kazuki. Ran as far as you can.”
 
“And where should we go?” Eva asked. “Gau and Michalik...”
 
“I'll deal with them. Eva, please. There isn't enough time.”
 
“Then, make some. We share the same blood. Surely, it is strong enough to withstand your demons.”
 
“Don't make silly assumptions! Can't you see?” He pleaded. “It's too late.”
 
“Not unless you give yourself in. Grandfather will help you…”
 
“He doesn't care about me!” Raphael shrieked. His eyes glistened with rage. “I was a disappointment!”
 
“That's not true, He does. Moreover, he is grateful to his ancestors that you will not have to share the family burden. At least you have the choice to do something great in your life. I don't!” Eva attempted to move forward. “All those negative thoughts were just your mind playing tricks on you. The mind games of Gau and Michalik. They…”
 
“Are my friends!” He roared.
 
“Is that so?” Eva argued. “Then, tell me. Do friends teach other how to murder?”
 
“I never intended for that to happen. It was Michalik…. He…”
 
“But you knew, didn't you?” Eva burst half-angrily. “You were here. I saw you. You knew he was going to kill Kelly, didn't you?”
 
“That wasn't my fault,” Raphael spat. “He was supposed to collect something from Kelly in exchange for Hiroto. How was I to know he lost his mind?”
 
“You could have stopped it!”
 
“Don't push the blame on me!” Raphael screamed. Violently, he pushed Eva to the ground. She fell backwards. Supported by the palms of her hands, she saw the animal rage in him. His face twisted grotesquely. Clutching the sides of his head, he screamed, as if something was tearing him within.
 
 
“Raphael. What's wrong?” Eva asked, holding the amulet around her neck tightly. She didn't dare to go near him. “What's happening to you?”
 
“It's what the witchdoctor in Thailand said. Once the circle of the coven is broken, it will return to us three times over.” Raphael wrapped his chest tightly, falling to his knees. “Unless we find the fourth and rebuild the circle, the madness won't take us. Please, Eva. Get away from me. Tell Sara and Kazuki. Get out of this place. Migrate to another country.”
 
“It's Kazuki you need, right?” Eva was beginning to lose her nerve. “He can help you. The stars said so. I'll find him.” Half-frozen with fear, Eva made her way to the gate. Her nerveless fingers pushed aside a curtain of leaves and thin willowy branches, revealing a hole big enough for her to go through. Once outside, she started to run.
 
Out of the blue, a loud thundering howling was heard. Eva turned back. To her ghastly horror, she saw Raphael flying high in the sky, howling like a creature of the damned. Her mind screamed the word, `run'. She ran beyond the point of fear. Suddenly, she felt herself being thrown to the ground. On her back, she saw Raphael staring crazily at her. A fist was raised. Then, zooming down to hit her. She rolled. His fist punched a hole in the ground where she had been. Scrambling to her feet, she ran to nowhere, screaming:
 
“HELP!! SOMEONE! PLEASE HELP ME!!!”
 
Then, a terrible powerful force hammered her to the ground, suspending her in an awkward moment of peacefulness before crushing her with its weight. In seconds, a strong grip was upon her throat, making it very difficult for her to breath. She saw her fingers sinking deeply into the hands that wrapped fiercely tightly around her neck. She saw Raphael looking down at her. Madness, no, a force more vile was burning in his sapphire eyes. His shrieks petrified her soul. She couldn't see anything clearly. Everything was fuzzy and in spots of black. A dull humming rang inside her head. Her fingers lost their sense of touch. As her eyes rolled upwards, she caught a glimpse of the night sky.
 
Then, darkness.
 
 
TO BE CONTINUED