Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Under Ice ❯ Under Ice ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Under Ice

Author: Ann

Rating: PG-13 for disturbing imagery

Pairings: None

Disclaimer: Weiss Kreuz characters and all rights belong to Takehito Koyasu and Project Weiss. This is fan fiction and no profit is made from this endeavor.

Notes: Halloween fic/Songfic! Just a little something horror-tinged in honor of Halloween. "Under Ice" by Kate Bush and can be found on her 1985 "Hounds of Love" CD. Lyrics used without permission. Lyrics separated by //.

Archive: Ask and you shall receive. Just let me know where it's going, okay?

Feedback: Drooled over. Make me happy. Ann89103@lvcm.com

***
//it's wonderful//
//everywhere//
//so white//

I could stop, once again taking in the frozen beauty all around me. It's so bright, sunlight coming from all directions: from the sky, no clouds to deflect the rays; reflecting from the snow covering the grounds; and from the trees, the green nearly concealed under heavy layers of frost.

I could stop, but I won't. If I stop, the stillness, this unexpected but welcome freedom will fade. I don't want to return to the flower shop, the hospital, the unending nights of spilling blood, not just yet.

//the river has frozen over//
//not a soul on the ice//
//only me//
//skating fast//

My surroundings are a blur at this point; the world is far away, all troubles, all nightmares erased. All I see is endless white, pure and clean. The light seems to seep in, cleansing away the darkness that festers in what remains of my soul.

//i'm speeding past trees//
//leaving little lines//
//in the ice//
//cutting out//
//little lines//

The only sound is the slice of blades through the ice, the drip of water as melted droplets of snow fall from the trees, and the giddy, almost hysterical laughter from a man who feared he'd forgotten how to laugh a long time ago.

//in the ice//
//splitting//
//splitting sound//

I nearly stumble as I come to an abrupt stop, looking for the break in the ice. It's not where I had been skating. Instead, the tiny crack is about fifty yards away, near the center of the ice. The area surrounding the break is pristine; nothing to indicate any reason for the break.

//silver heels//
//spitting//
//spitting snow//

More cracking, as fine lines spread out across the ice from where the break is. The lines form an intricate spiderweb pattern, fascinating to look at and no doubt dangerous to touch. Yet the ice surrounding the area is thick, more than able to hold my weight.

I simply stand there, hesitant to move forward, but not wanting to leave. Then I see it...

//there's something//
//moving out there//

All I see at first is a dark form, struggling to break through. An animal of some sort, I think. Trapped. Helpless.

//under the ice//
//moving//

The movement is slow, sluggish, weakening with each moment. I move forward, gliding cautiously towards the form, carefully watching for any further cracks in the ice. I lean over the broken ice, reaching for the desperate animal.

I stumble back, almost falling, as I look into amethyst eyes that mirror my own.

//under ice//
//through water//
//trying to//
//(it's me)//
//get out//

His--my--his eyes are glazed over, frozen in cold and frozen in horror. A shaking hand rises out of the water.

//of the cold water//
//(it's me)//

I scramble forward, leaning over the break, reaching for that outstretched hand, grabbing hold, pulling...

//something//
//(it's me...)//

...only to be pulled under the ice, going into shock from effects of the icy water, losing air with each passing second. Suddenly my captor dissolves before my disbelieving eyes: as his hold fades, I race for the surface, desperate, frantic...

I lose what remaining air I held as my hands hit solid ice, immovable, unyielding, where once was a break in the ice.

//someone//
//help him//

Help me..

***