Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ A Long Night ❯ Arrival ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Arrival
 
He was so lost in his reverie that he did not hear the footsteps, but then, Robin always glided across the floor almost soundlessly, anyway. The first thing he knew was when she spoke “I brought you doughnuts, I'll make some coffee if you like?” Michael jumped at the sudden noise, but then smiled at the familiar words as he turned to greet the Witch Hunter. For the first time that evening, the smile was not twisted, but genuine. It changed the entire shape of his face, thought Robin, lighting it up and making you forget the moth-eaten baggy clothes he wore, or the untidy hair in need of a haircut. Even the unhealthy pallor of his face was lessened by the smile. It was only looking into his eye that Robin saw the sadness that was so deep it made her want to cry. That sadness was always there, even during his triumphant moments. Even when he was engrossed in his computer, he always carried an air of quiet desperation, he never seemed to feel true happiness, only fleeting satisfaction.
 
But he smiled, at her, nonetheless. She put the doughnuts down and walked to the coffee machine. Walking past his terminal, she could not help but notice the website and the pictures, but she tried to ignore them. She returned with the coffee, in two big mugs, and placed it on his desk. He looked at her, and Robin, picking up on the unspoken question, answered “Touko's away tonight, and the flat is empty. I thought I'd come here, look at some cases.” Michael fought to hide his disappointment. He longed for one of them to come to Ravens Flat at night to see him, to talk to him and share his world. Instead, they would come and demand information and answers, treating him like a human search machine. They were frightened of him., he had realised early on, frightened of what he represented, the power of the organisation over one person, enough to compel them to remain inside one building indefinitely, to abandon their whole world. His presence also reminded them of their own restrictions, not as physical as his own confinement, but equally as binding.
 
Robin looked at him. She had caught the flash of emotion, but had been unable to identify it. She hoped that he was not angry with her for coming. To be honest, she had come to Ravens Flat because of her own loneliness, an alien emotion to her. In the convent, there was not time for such feelings, an endless routine of prayer, chores, lessons and the sleep of exhaustion suppressed any emotions. But in Touko's flat, the chores were done, and Robin, unaccustomed to idleness, had been at a loss. Really, she wanted some company, to talk to someone who was not wary of her, as Amon and the other Hunters were. She had always been aware of the way people felt about Craft, but before, surrounded by others who used it, it had not mattered. Here, her Craft meant she was not trusted. She represented the enemy in some way, and was unsure as to whether she would ever be trusted by the team. Michael had been the only one who had accepted her without fear, and had trusted her, and she valued his trust and craved friendship.
 
They looked at each other in silence for a moment, their eyes met, and they saw within each other, a mirror of their own feelings. Then they hurriedly glanced away, embarrassed by their exposed weaknesses. “How was your day then?” asked Michael, searching desperately for something to say to break the uncomfortable silence. Robin smiled tiredly. “A dead body and a mountain of work. Average, I suppose. You?” “Yeah, same, but without the dead body.” Michel replied. The conversation continued this way for a while, stilted and shallow. There was a sense that they both wanted to say more, but neither knew how, so they continued with this unsatisfying conversation, before Michael said. “You know, we both sit in these chairs all day. Why don't we go down to the atrium and sit by the arch, where we can see the sky? We could take the coffee and food, have a small picnic?” Robin smiled “I'd like that” she replied, and they both headed downstairs, sitting together in companionable silence leaning against the well, munching doughnuts and coffee.