Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ Communion ❯ Communion ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer- I don’t own Witch Hunter Robin.

A church... a house of God... A place where all peoples are welcome.

Come, all ye faithful.

Though most do not come out of love of their deity, but out of duty or fear of eternal damnation.

One soul, however, was bathed in the rare, wonderful devotion to her God. A petite teenage girl entered the chapel quietly, sedately, her long, conservative black dress swishing in the wind of the open door, as her golden-red hair glimmered in the Sunday sun.

Her devotion to the faith is intense, with an almost fanatical edge, yet tempered by love of this Church, this faith, this God.

And yet this fanaticism is what makes her an instrument of the Church...

One who hunts Evil... one who burns heretics and preserves the faith...

A Witch Hunter.

Deaths are on her hands, and yet she remains pure, her faith untainted by darkness.

But lately, decisions have been questioned. Is this really the path that she wanted?

Weren’t Witches people, born human, born in the image of God?

Did they not deserve the chance that the Messiah had died for?

Questions, questions without answers and only more questions.

The mass is winding down, moving to the mundane climax- the Sacrament, Communion.

To partake of the Bread of Life, the forgiveness of sins.

Again, the girl is confronted by a paradox. A church who mercilessly slaughters, and yet dogmatically preaches atonement.

What is the real face of the faith, the will of God?

Merciless extermination?

Boundless forgiveness?

Where was the real path, the truth?

The line moves closer to the priest, an aged, wrinkled man who speaks with boredom and the decay of time.

Witches... humans...

Is there a difference?

Witches are evil, something protests.

Witches are people, and they should be taught how to use their powers, another argues.

Her faith, which guided her to hunt and annihilate these heretics, forced questions into her mind.

Another paradox.

That which enforces, also detracts, creates questions.

Was atonement, the forgiveness of sins not the point of the Church?

Was it ethical to break Commandments, to violate the inviolate doctrine of the faith?

Can it be justified, these murders, if they are to protect the innocent?

Or should Witches be offered the forgiveness of Sin offered by the Lord?

The questions swirl, a never ending battle that uses her faith as a weapon for both sides.

Forgiveness.

Death.

Mercy.

Vindi cation.

Good will for all mankind.

Destroy all Witches.

Raised as a Witch hunter by the Church, and instilled with a faith to make her stronger.

But now that faith was making her question the very beliefs it was reinforcing.
Madness.

Still, if killing was a sin, then she prayed that this bread of Life, this forgiveness would wash away those sins. Wasn’t that part of the faith?

The priest is right in front of her, raising the bread into the air, mumbling the archaic words.

“Amen.” She whispered, took the bread, and ate it. It had always tasted sweet, like a Sunday morning treat. But today, today it was different... or she was. The taste was repugnant.

It tasted like ashes in her mouth.

AN: I’d like to say that I am not knocking the Catholic Church, Faith, or Catholics in general. I am one, after all. I’m merely expressing how Robin probably felt in the mid point of the series.