Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ I Stood at the Glass ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: I wish I owned WHR, but I don't, so suing me would be less than pointless.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*

I STOOD AT THE GLASS

I stood at the glass, watching the machines that were keeping her alive. The green lines on the heart monitor went up and down in a slow but steady rhythm.

*beep*

I could just barely see her honey colored hair, but my mind easily allowed it to flow freely about her face, waving riotously. I sighed and felt the twinge in my rib. They ached and I had had a hard time getting up this morning.

*beep*

I could understand Zaizen's concern for you; you are his only daughter. I should have known better than to allow myself to get involved with you. Seeing you at that awful party he dragged me to . . . you were the most interesting thing in the whole place. I was sure our meeting had been arranged; why else had Zaizen, with his reputation for liking no-one, suddenly start treating me like a son.

Your chest rises and falls almost as slowly as the lines on the heart monitor.

*beep*

We were together for three years, and yet, as I stand here now, all I can think about is the fear on her face as that bullet ripped through her clothes and pinned her to the wall. The fear and concern when she can home and saw you tied up in the living room. She wasn't afraid for herself; she was afraid for you.

*beep.*

I saw Zaizen come in earlier and talk to you. I'll be damned if I know what he told you, but I'll bet whatever it was, it was bad. Why else you agree to be `held hostage' to capture her.

Robin.

My Robin.

The whole reason this mess got started. When I called you three week ago and told you it was over, I wasn't completely truthful with you over the phone. It wasn't you that kept creeping into my thoughts and distracting my mind from my work. It was her.

*beep*

I raised my hand to the glass and traced the line of your cheek. I feel like a heel, standing here, distracted by the one person you considered a threat and a rival, even as you lie ill and seriously wounded before me.

"I'm sorry."

I can't believe my voice still works. The words seem so shallow, meaningless. I'm sorry. It's something you say when you can't think of anything else. I see you there; hurt, unmoving.

*beep.*

What am I sorry about? Your being shot? The fear on her face when she saw you? Am I sorry it was me that put that fear on her face?

I close my eyes briefly and the red haze of the scope and Robin, her head bend in a pitiful, desperate attempt at self-preservation flashed through my mind.

*beep*

I am sorry.

I turn away. There's nothing more for me here.

Touko, be well.

Maybe I should have said that.

I stepped outside. I knew what Zaizen was planning. You are injured, Touko, but at least you are safe.

She is not.

I sighed and my ribs throbbed harder. I had to hurry.

Forgive me, Touko.

Robin, I'm coming.

*beep . . . *