Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ The Beginning of an End ❯ Hatred for the Soul ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N pish, sorry for the delay…it was really busy this week. Shall not happen again…hopefully. I was so happy I got good responses on my new chapter. Keep the reviews coming….
 
P.S. check out my new forum dedicated entirely to anime. I think it's pretty cool although nothings in it so far >.>
 
The Beginning of an End
Chapter Seven- Hatred for the Soul
 
The dark scenery sped by in a blur as Robin looked blankly out the window. She was afraid to make a sound.
 
“Why didn't you use your power?” Amon broke the silence. Robin, staring out the window, now jumped at the question.
 
“I don't know, I just didn't feel natural anymore.” She replied hesitantly. She didn't know why. She felt foreign and awkward talking to Amon like this.
 
“I could see that you haven't been using it for awhile,” Amon continued, steering the wheel at a smooth curve. “You better start using it.”
 
Robin blinked and asked “Why?”, turning to face the darkly clad ex-hunter. Was he an ex-hunter? She wondered and soon shook it away. She could trust Amon with her life. Almost at all costs.
 
Amon didn't answer. He came to a slow halt in front of Robin's apartment.
 
“Amon, what about…?”
 
“I'll take care of your boss.” Amon countered briskly, pushing the UNLOCK button. That was what Robin was about to ask for.
 
“Where are you going to go, then?” She asked again, although Amon it seemed like he was in a great hurry. She tried to save a moment with him, her ex-partner and a fugitive, just like herself.
 
Amon shifted slightly. “I'm staying at the nearby hotel in this city,” He lied for the second time. “You should get along. I have errands to run,” He paused, as if deciding something. “I will be back.”
 
Robin pursed her lips and nodded. She trundled out of the worn black sports car and glanced longingly one last time at her newly-found partner. Amon briefly nodded back and behind the tinted window and drove away into the lighted city. Robin watched the car until it disappeared along with the many strings of tiny moving lights.
 
 
Amon took out his ringing cell phone and flipped it open. “Yeah?” He answered indifferently. He listened for a while and glanced around.
 
“No, it was mistaken for a wrong girl.” That was the third strike. Amon wasn't afraid of the consequences. He paused and continued. “But I've found Kariya….yeah he's in my car right now.” Amon glanced back at the unconscious body of Sakamoto, now identified as the literally two-faced killer. Amon's natural instinct was to kill him without a question right there in the spot, but that'd cause too much trouble. He could feel hatred claw its way up, ready to attack.
 
“Alright. You'll pick him up from the hospital.” Amon concluded and hung up.
 
He steered his wheels expertly through the entwined streets brightly lit with street lights. He switched his thoughts into something else besides this horrible duty of his, and the pulsing throb on the side of his neck disappeared a little. He touched the rise of skin on his neck, the painful memory flowing back. It was a piece of steel that had fallen off the roof during the Collapse he called it, and it had pierced through his neck. Losing too much blood could kill, he'd heard. I guess I proved wrong, he smiled bitterly. The scar was deep enough to require immediate action and instead, Amon had thrown himself against Robin just in time to avoid the falling debris of the walls. Everything else was as blank as untouched snow.
 
Amon had wondered where that blonde-haired girl had gone. But this wasn't the way he intended to see her again. It shouldn't have been, he thought. If I knew this was going to happen, I never would've come back.
 
The throbbing came back, and Amon clenched his teeth in frustration and anger.
 
 
A thin ray of sunshine was enough to wake Robin in a quick succession. She bolted up and looked at the alarm clock by her bed. She forgot to set the alarm last night. Last night, she'd met Amon. “Uh oh…” She murmured her eyes still heavy. It was 10: 30 A.M.
 
Robin sluggishly reached for the phone and dialed Julie Rokutanda. The 22-year old co-worker answered almost immediately. “I'm sorry, but please excuse me from my work today, please?” Robin pleaded with the standard phrase, adding an extra “please” at the end. Julie sounded startled by such a request from the usual morning bird. “Hmmm, strange enough, the boss isn't here either. Were you too….?” She wondered out loud, sounding very skeptical.
 
Robin sighed heavily and replied in her still-in-progress Japanese, “No, nothing like that. I'm just not feeling well today.”
 
“Alright, Isuzu-san. Just this once. Gosh, if the boss were here, I'd be dead meat.” Julie said, exaggerating the word “boss” and still sounding doubted. Robin thanked her gratefully and sank back into her bed.
 
“Amon,” she worded. It felt amazing and strange to finally let his name out, knowing that he was alive, safe, and unchanged- sort of. She closed her eyes and thought of the image of Amon, dressed in black, standing across the body of Mr. Sakamoto. His attire was always black…she couldn't possibly imagine him in any other colors.
The phone went off again in frenzy, echoing through the small and homely room. Robin reached out again from under the covers and brought the receiver to her preoccupied head. “Yes?”
 
“Robin,” It was Amon. It really was Amon.