Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ You Loved Me Anyway ❯ Kill ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Ok, I haven't been watching Witch Hunter Robin very long, but I know pretty much everything about it. I have a best friend who is very very into it and has written a really cool fic, so I have background information! *yay whistle* The pairings will come in later chapters, but for now, just read and get the general storyline. Thanks a lot! R&R!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robin yawned and looked around the busy STN-J building. Sakaki was strolling around the perimeter, reading over some papers. Karasuma sat a few feet away from the chief, eyes closed, studying a necklace of the witch the crew had just captured. Michael and Amon talked quietly in front of the hacker's whirring computer, and Amon made irritated gestures to emphasize his point. I wonder what they're arguing over this time…?

Things had gotten very tense around the witch hunting base ever since the defeat and capture of the witch Borealis. Furtive glances were shot in Robin's direction, and people scuttled to avoid her if at all possible. It wasn't normal by any means. Even if their work WAS serious, couldn't someone ever show any humor? At least someone could smile, she thought sullenly.

The conversation between Amon and Michael was getting louder now, and Robin could hear every word. She leaned over the document she had been writing just in case it was something she wasn't supposed to hear.

"…and she's dangerous, Michael!" Amon pounded a clenched fist on the console. Michael flinched, eyeing the dent in the material witheringly. The black-haired hunter didn't notice the glance and charged right on. "You know better than anyone what…" he trailed off. Michael stared at him, unspoken warning radiating from his every muscle. "…what they can do."

"What are they talking about?"

Robin jumped. Doujima blinked sleepily at the two members of the squad that were now glaring at each other in stony silence. Her usual magazine was open on her lap, displaying a few of the rock stars she had been obsessed with as of late.

"How should I know?" Robin asked irritably. "Maybe if you actually CAME once in a while, you would know!"

"Wow, you're awfully snappish today," Doujima whined. "It's not like you. And besides, YOU were here, weren't you?"

"No on tells me anything these days!" Robin exploded, nearly knocking her companion off her chair. "Don't tell me you haven't noticed that everyone is uptight and ready to bite each others' heads off?!"

"Quiet over there!" Chief Kosaka yelled over his tea. His glare silenced the girls immediately.

After a few minutes, Robin muttered, "See what I mean? Everyone's tense. It's strange."

"Yeah, you're right. Even Karasuma's acting shifty. What's going on?"

"Why do you expect me to know these things?!" Robin hissed. "Like I said, no one tells me anything anymore! Doesn't anyone pay attention to what I say?"

Doujima looked hurt. "Sor-ry. I guess Amon and the others aren't the only ones stressing out, huh?" Without waiting for a response, the blond hunter turned back to her magazine.

Amon and Michael had lowered their voices once more, leaving Robin with nothing to do except go back to the document she was preparing on Borealis. Sighing, she picked up her pen and resumed writing.

"The witch Borealis was captured on February 24, 2035, in the act of destroying a federal building and killing 4 officers. She is scheduled to be executed on March 7, 2035. She displayed various abilities, including the power to enter one's mind and alter the thoughts within it."

Robin licked her lips, pen poised over the paper. She was beginning to regret snapping at Doujima, who was now hunched haughtily over her magazine. Just as she was about to reach out and touch her friend's arm, though, Chief Kosaka motioned her over to him.

"Could I have a word with you, Robin?"

She nodded and hurried over to him. Maybe he'll tell me what's going on…

Kosaka placed his teacup on the desk, lacing his fingers together and resting his chin upon them. "I need you to take a blood sample from Borealis before the execution. Don't ask me why; it was Amon's request." The black haired hunter looked up when his name was mentioned and gave a curt nod to Robin. She half-smiled back then looked to Kosaka once again.

"Alright. When do you want me to do it?"

The chief looked at the clock. "Well, the day's nearly over. You get to go home in 10 minutes. I'm guessing you wouldn't want to stay after for a while, so how about tomorrow?"

Robin tried to ignore Amon's eyes on her back. She knew the others were staring at her as well, but Amon's eyes were those that bore holes into her spine. Usually his stare did not bother her, but today there was a new emotion in those ice blue eyes.

…is it hatred…?

"Robin? Are you going to answer me?"

The girl jumped. "I'm sorry, sir," she mumbled. "Just…thinking. But I'd prefer to take the sample this afternoon, if you please." then, more softly she added, "It's not as if I have anywhere else to go…"

Kosaka didn't hear that last addition to her statement; he was fishing the syringe out of a desk drawer. "Be that as it may. I'm happy to see that you are so eager to get your work done." He placed the small package into her slender hand. "Be careful. Borealis is by far the most dangerous witch we've ever handled."

"Of course, sir." With a slight bow, she turned and walked out of the room.

~*~

The hallway that led to the holding rooms was completely dark. When she flipped the switch, the ancient light bulbs remained unlit. Robin rubbed her temple in exasperation. This had not been her day. With a flick of her wrist, a small flame hovered next to her shoulder.

As she stepped lightly down the corridor, dust swirled about her ankles, painting them a pasty white. The rooms were rarely used…the witches were generally killed on the spot. Robin shivered and tried to push the image of a burning witch out of her mind.

…burning in MY flames…

The keypad beeped under her deft fingers and the door slid open. Robin walked into the room letting the door shut behind her. Monitors flickered to life all across the walls, each showing the black-haired witch from a different angle.

Borealis did not use the flimsy cot of the fold-up chair that furnished the room. Instead, she chose to lie in the floor, gazing blankly up at the ceiling. If one hadn't noticed the steady rise and fall of her chest, she could have been mistaken for dead.

Robin entered the code that would let her into the cell that actually held the captive. When she heard the lock click open, she cautiously opened the door, expecting any sort of the witch's vast power to come blasting out to meet her.

"Don't be a fool. I have no intention of harming you." Borealis's voice was calm and bored. She hadn't moved from her place on the floor; her eyes still searched the ceiling.

"I need to take a blood sample," Robin said levelly. "Please do not resist."

Borealis shrugged, her black hair rippling about her shoulders. "Do I look like I'm in any position to defy a strong witch like you?"

Robin froze. "What did you call me?"

"A witch." Borealis stretched her arms over her head, then held one out to the dumbfounded hunter. "Take the sample if you must. I want my last few days to pass in solitude."

"I am not a witch," Robin murmured angrily. "I'm just a craft user. I'm not evil like you and your people!"

The black-haired witch laughed. "Really, what's the difference?" She examined the burn marks that scarred the arm she was extending to Robin. "You still fight to kill others, even if it is in the name of so called "good"."

"Shut up! You don't know what you're talking about!" The needle shook in her hand. This was the first time in her life that she had been truly angry…and utterly afraid. Not of the girl lying in front of her, but of her own God-given power.

"Of course I do, and you know it." Borealis's eyes leered at her, hiding contempt behind a smile. "You know that you enjoy snuffing out human life. Admit it!"

"I-DO-NOT!" Robin's hand clenched the syringe so hard that the plastic broke. Rage pumped through her veins and clouded her thinking. Only one thing rang true through her mind.

This witch must die.

She didn't even notice when Borealis burst into flame. She paid no heed to the cell that was burning down around her. All that she could concentrate on was the symbol that smoldered before her.

…KILL.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~

R&R!!!