Wolf's Rain Fan Fiction ❯ Broken ❯ Volume Six, Chapter Sixteen: Problem ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Problem

This was a bad idea. Kurt and Jamie had common sense. But this was a safe country. So what was the worst that could happen?

Well…

“Kurt, look!” Jamie said. Her boyfriend looked up. A figure stood by the road. They looked at the sky. Kurt made a face. The sun was starting to set.

“You sure?” he asked. Jamie shrugged. She didn't look too certain. They should've pulled away. There were horror stories about this type of situation. It would be better to drive off. Just keep going. Keep going. Keep going…

Kurt pulled to a stop.

“Need a ride?” he asked. Jamie turned to him.

“What are you doing?” she mouthed. Her boyfriend shrugged. The figure didn't speak. He just opened the back door and climbed in. The couple froze.

Oh shit…

Now what?

Kurt looked behind him. “So… Where are you headed?” The figure didn't answer. He was a man in a black hoodie. His dark hair hid his eyes. He only had a dirty black backpack. The couple nervously laughed.

“What do we do?” Jamie whispered. Kurt shrugged.

“I don't know,” he whispered back. “We'll just drop him off in the next town.” His girlfriend didn't speak. She looked behind. Their passenger said nothing.

The drive was uncomfortable. The man didn't speak. Meanwhile, the couple tried not to make eye contact. They exchange looks at each other.

“So where are you from?” Kurt asked the passenger. Silence.

“What's your name?” he asked. Silence.

“Where are you heading?” Silence. Kurt nervously laughed. Jamie glanced behind her again. This guy was creepy. Why did they pick him up? She had her phone by her side.

“When is the next town?” Jamie asked. Kurt shrugged.

“I don't know,” he said. She gave him an uneasy look.

“What do you mean?” she asked. Her boyfriend didn't speak. Jamie sighed. She sat back in her chair.

“You know what?” Kurt asked. “Let's get some music on.” He reached over and turned on the radio. At first, static came through. A song played for a second, but it was gone.

“Turn it off!” Jamie shouted. She reached over and turned off the radio.

“Okay, okay,” Kurt said. “Fine.”

“Thanks,” Jamie said. But then she paused.

“Kurt,” she said.

“What?” he asked. His girlfriend paused.

“Do you hear that?” she asked. Kurt had a confused look on his face.

“Hear what?” he asked.

“Shhh!” she whispered. The couple took a close listen. Was that… mumbling? The couple froze. Don't let it be…

Jamie turned her head. The passenger had his head down, mumbling to himself. The color drained from Jamie's face. She tugged on Kurt's sleeve.

“What?” he asked. She tensed up as she pointed behind her. Kurt glanced out of the corner of his eye in time to see their passenger lift his head. He threw is back and howled. The guy started clawing at his neck and shouting in gibberish. He bit down on his hand hard enough to bleed.

Needless to say, Kurt and Jamie dropped him on the side of the road and sped away as fast as they could. And that was it.

Roadside Creep