Wolf's Rain Fan Fiction ❯ Friendship And Paradise ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]

A/N: Kay. I don't own Wolf's Rain. I've only seen one episode and I thought about writing a fic so here it is. I hope that you all enjoy it. R&R. It's supposed to be a one shot!

Friendship and Paradise

Tsume was still carrying on. I could hear him, but I wasn't listening to him. I'd stopped listening to him a long time ago. I could tell that he was still going on about Leara.

I kept thinking about her. I hadn't meant to kill her bird. I'd tried to explain my sorrow. It was my sorrow that had led me to change in front of her. I hadn't meant to do it. Honestly.

The look of terror on Leara's face was still fresh in my mind. It made me want to cry. I wanted to see her, try to sort things out. Tsume had taken me away so fast, I don't remember exactly what happened.

"Toboe! Are you listening to anything that I have to say? What if that girl tells somebody about you? Quent could get word of it. The man's seen you already. He knows you're a wolf, and probably that I'm one too. How much trouble can you get into in one day?

Tsume sounded rash. I simply sat unmoving, my knees drawn to my chest, in the corner.

"I didn't mean to kill it," I said, totally oblivious to Tsume's ranting and raving.

Tsume went silent and I could fell his eyes on me. They felt condemning in some way.

Something about the event not an hour ago reminded me of my past. It made me look at the three metal rings on my wrist. It must have been Leara's eyes. She had had eyes exactly like those before she'd died.

"She gave these to me," I muttered, not really knowing or caring if Tsume had heard.

"Did you kill her?" Tsume asked, and Ii could hear the contempt.

I didn't move, I just sat there and stared at the floor in front of my eyes. "She died," I said, finally coming to terms with what I suppose could be called self-denial.

I closed my eyes to keep tears away and I heard Tsume spit out with hate, "She tamed you!"

I didn't answer because I knew that it had to be at least partly true. I didn't know why Tsume was still here. I knew he hated keeping companions. He was the complete opposite of me. He was the loner and I always had to have someone by my side.

"Why were you there?"

I looked at Tsume and he averted his eyes from mine. "When? What do you mean?"

"When you saved me from Quent, and when you took me away from Leara."

"A mere coincidence. Pathetic really. Twice I smell trouble, and twice I have to get you out of it."

He doesn't seem the type to just help someone in need, I thought silently.

"You don't keep companions and you don't want any friends. You made that clear the very first time we met, so why help me and take me away from Leara?"

"I don't want friends," Tsume snapped, "I just don't want wolves to become extinct."

"Oh nice save," I thought to myself.

He actually made me consider that maybe he only pretended to be a loner and that maybe he wanted someone to be his friend as much as I did.

Tsume glanced outside. The sun had set only a few minutes ago, but the moon was already beginning to appear.

"I'm going," Tsume told me. "I have tracking to do."

"I'll go too."

"No!" he snapped at me. "I'm going by myself."

I watched as he turned into his wolf form, and in a Grey flash of fur, disappeared out the window.

I suppose that he was trying to find Cheza. I was quick to realize that Tsume hadn't told me to stay put, just that he was going alone. I transformed myself, figuring on wondering around. I jumped over the window-sill and began to run. I didn't really care what direction I was going in, because I had no set destination.

Startled was I to find myself at Leara's house. I could smell the bird and it made me want to howl, but I was too afraid that Leara would find me. At this point in time I didn't even think that I could face her.

I unconsciously flinched when I heard a screen door slam. It was her. She stopped dead, barely 50 feet in front of me.

"Toboe. You came back."

She knew I was here now and it didn't matter anymore. I howled to let my sorrow be known. For a moment I almost expected Tsume to snatch me away once more. My howling ceased when I noticed Leara take a few hesitant steps towars me.

"Change for me please?"

It was my turn to hesitate. I could smell both fear and sorrow in the air. I cowered before her and looked at the door.

"Don't worry about my dad. He's asleep." I almost thought that I heard her voice quiver.

I sat down and willed myself to become human.

"So I wasn't dreaming. How long have you been able to turn into a wolf?"

For a moment I was puzzled. "You mean turn into a human? All of my life. I just never bothered until I came to live in this village."

"You were born a wolf?"

I nodded. "What other way would a wolf be born?"

"There are others like you?"

"Yes. There are very few wolves left though. Lots of people think we're extinct. Have you told anyone about me?"

"No. I've been too upset to talk to anyone. Even my dad."

"I didn't mean to kill it. I just wanted to catch it and bring it back to you."

"I understand, I just…was really close to her. I'd had her ever since she was little. I just miss her, that's all."

I was about to say more when a new scent found its way to my nose. It was different, but not unpleasant. It was sweet, like red maple and lilacs. I looked around to find the direction the smell was coming from.

"What's the matter?"

"Nothing. I just smell something. I can't ignore it."

"I don't smell anything."

When she told me that I knew what the scent was. It was Cheza. The flower child.

"I have to go Leara."

"Already?"

"I'm sorry. I'll come back, I promise. Take this." I pulled one of the bracelets off of my wrist and dropped it into her hand. "Please don't tell anyone about me, or the others."

"Don't worry. I won't."

Once she told me that, I turned into a wolf and ran towards the smell as fast as I could.

I followed the scent to the top of a cliff that over looked the village. I saw three others there. One was Tsume. The other two I remembered as Hige and Kiba. They too had been drawn here by the scent.

"It's Cheza," Kiba muttered, barely audible to us all.

Hige seemed anxious. "We have to find her. I can sense it. She's not far away."

Kiba looked at me. "Are you coming?" I nodded and he turned to Tsume. "What about you?"

"No. I'll find the flower child on my own."

Hige and Kiba turned to leave, but I was hesitant to leave without Tsume. He didn't look back as they left, so I began to follow them.

We were going to find Cheza. She would lead us to the paradise that we had been dreaming of for so long. Soon we would be safe without the fear of extinction.

A/N: My sister says that that sounds like a first chapter, but I don't know if I will be able to see any more of the show to give me some ideas to add more to this story. Anyway, I hope that you have all enjoyed this one!

-Sparkling Twilight