X/1999 Fan Fiction ❯ End This (Vignette) ❯ One-Shot

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Haunted. There was no other word for him. Sanguine, languid, relaxed against the sakura. He was no longer purely himself, he knew, no longer 'Subaru.' He was Sakurazukamori. He was... not-quite Seishirou. Some strange mixture of his former self and the longed-for other. An otherself. It would have made him laugh, if he could have expended the effort. If he'd wanted to. But the Tree was fed, content, drowsy. And for the moment he was just as content to simply rest, there among the familiar roots, the ancient trunk.

Still, he noticed the moment the dreamscape began to filter in. He let it, vaguely curious, mostly indifferent. It was without surprise that he faced the familiar silver-haired form when it materialized. Kuzuki Kakyou, dreamseer, Angel, his sister's lover. How tragic.

"Hello," the dreamseer said, his voice smooth, sad. "I trust you know what I have contacted you for."

Subaru cocked his head, still seated against the Tree, incongrous at the seaside. Odd, that this duty would be given to him. He didn't speak.

Kakyou continued, unphased by the lack of response. "Currently, I am too weak physically to come to you. But with the power I exercise over this environment, and your own skill, I shouldn't have to. You should be able to kill me here, in the dream."

A pause.

"I have waited long enough, I think. I want to go to her."

Subaru moved, finally, standing only to turn, press his hands to the Tree. "It has her, you know." His fingers slipped softly against the bark, caressing.

"That is why you and only you must kill me."

"It has him, too," Subaru whispered, not giving any indication he had heard the other man speak. He pressed his face to the Tree, letting his arms slide around it in a strange embrace. "If I listen hard enough, I can hear him." The mismatched eyes slid shut. "I can feel him." He shivered.

Silence. When the Sakurazukamori turned, Kakyou met his gaze steadily, unwavering.

"Do you really want to die, Kakyou?"
"Yes." No hesitation.
"Well, then."

He stepped towards the dreamseer, feeling the sudden eagerness of the Tree in the back of his mind, the gathering of energy. The anticipation of the kill. He stopped bare inches away from the other man, regarding the resolute expression on the delicate face. And in a flash it was finished, the fatal embrace, the warm wash of blood. He let the other man fall, even as the dreamscape began to dissolve.

"No regrets," he said softly, and turned away.