X/1999 Fan Fiction ❯ Ice Cream Sunday ❯ Ice Cream Sunday ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Author's Note: Just a quick SeishirouxYuzuriha ficlet for my friend YumeminoUta. Blame her if you don't like this. It's all her fault for me writing this in the first place. If she hadn't drawn that uber-cute picture, I would never have thought of this fic. So, yeah. Please send all flames her way.

Author's Note 2: Yume, please don't kill me for my first note.

Pairings: SeishirouxYuzuriha, hints of SeishirouxSubaru

Warnings: Nice!?Seishirou. Uber-genki!Yuzuriha. Angsty!Subaru. And I put myself in here.

Ice Cream Sunday

Nekoi Yuzuriha skipped along the sidewalk with her faithful inugami, Inuki, at her side. The girl from Mitsumine shrine stopped in front of the new ice cream parlor with a grin. She had been waiting for the shop to open so she could try out their unique flavors. Nothing excited her more than trying a new ice cream specialty at a new place.

Opening the door, Yuzuriha was welcomed by the smell of waffle cones and the strong scent of several flavors of ice cream. She bounced over to the counter and looked at the ice cream choices. There was no way she could possibly choose from them; over fifty flavors in all and each one of them more tempting than the last.

"What do you think, Inuki?" the girl asked her inugami guardian.

Inuki didn't reply. The inugami was looking towards the entrance to the ice cream parlor, where a man in a black suit had just come in. The man wore dark sunglasses and a black trench coat. From what she had heard about this man, Yuzuriha could easily recognize him as Sakurazuka Seishirou, a Dragon of Earth.

Yuzuriha tensed as the man approached her. She considered setting up her circular kekkai to keep Seishirou from causing any damage. Though, for some reason, the man didn't seem like he was up to anything. In fact, he merely smiled at her and turned to the selection of ice cream.

Yuzuriha's face scrunched up in confusion. This man was a known Angel. He had attacked at the Diet Building when Yuzuriha had first arrived in Tokyo. Why wasn't he striking when he knew that she was a Seal?

"So many flavors," Seishirou said. "I just don't know what to choose."

The girl who stood behind the counter turned towards Seishirou. She lifted a hand to push back her blue bangs. A quick glance at her name tag told Seishirou that her name was Koichi.

"I would suggest the Strawberry Shortcake," she said. "Or the Banana Split."

"Very good suggestions," Seishirou said, taking his glasses off. "Both sound scrumptious. I'll take a double scoop waffle cone with both of those flavors."

Here, he turned to Yuzuriha. He smiled at her. Yuzuriha cringed away, afraid of the Sakurazukamori and what his intents could be. Inuki growled at Seishirou.

"And what would you like?" Seishirou asked. "Pick whatever you like. It's my treat."

Yuzuriha looked at the Angel, curiously. Cat-ears popped from her head. She didn't think that she could trust this man, who had attacked at the Diet Building, destroyed a kekkai, and had caused the Seals so much trouble. Seishirou merely continued to smile as the girl behind the counter waited for Yuzuriha's order.

"Umm…." Yuzuriha hesitated. "A double scoop of Strawberry Shortcake on a waffle cone will be fine."

Koichi rang up the orders. Seishirou paid for the cones and waited as the blue haired girl smoothly scooped up the ice cream into the waffle cones. She handed the Strawberry Shortcake double scoop to the fourteen-year-old inugami mistress, who took it with a smile, then gave Seishirou his Strawberry Shortcake/Banana Split double scoop.

"Thank you for coming to our grand opening," Koichi said. She handed a couple of coupons for a free scoop of ice cream to Seishirou. "Come again!"

Seishirou put his sunglasses on and opened the door for Yuzuriha, who skipped outside. Inuki followed his mistress after giving Seishirou a glare that seemed to say `Make one wrong move and I'll take out your other eye'. Yuzuriha turned to Seishirou, licking at her ice cream.

"So, why did you treat me to ice cream?" she asked. "I mean, we're on opposite sides of the battle and we hardly know each other."

Seishirou shrugged. "It's Sunday; kind of a day off for me. And besides, I love ice cream just as much as you and I would never make a girl pay for her own ice cream."

"Well, it was awfully nice of you," Yuzuriha chirped. "And Subaru-san says that you're not that nice."

"Subaru-kun and I have had our difficulties in the past," Seishirou said. "I suppose with how much he seems to hate me it's only natural he would says such things."

"But Subaru-san is a very kind person. Why would he have reason to hate you?"

"It's a long story, young miss. And one I would rather not tell."

"Oh. Okay," the inugami mistress sighed. "By the way, I'm Nekoi Yuzuriha."

"I'm sure you know my name, if Subaru-kun has told you about me," Seishirou said. "But anyway, my name is Sakurazuka Seishirou."

"Very nice to meet you, Seishirou-san," Yuzuriha smiled. "Thank you for the ice cream."

"You're welcome."

* * *

Sumeragi Subaru sat in his apartment. A cigarette was held between his fingers as he contemplated his life. He had spent the last nine years hunting Seishirou down and had finally found him at Nakano. Though he had tried his best to defeat the Sakurazukamori, he had been defeated yet again at the hands of the one who had killed his sister.

Then again, part of the reason he had been defeated was because Subaru didn't really want to kill Seishirou. In all honesty, a part of Subaru wanted to die by Seishirou's hands. Another part of him wanted to be happy with the Sakurazukamori. Every time Subaru came face-to-face with the assassin, the two parts fought within him. It was a battle that would last for a long time.

Subaru sighed. He didn't want to deal with this today. He stubbed out his cigarette and went to take a shower.

* * *

Seishirou and Yuzuriha stopped at Ueno Park. Yuzuriha looked at the watch around her wrist and gasped.

"I'm so sorry!" she said. "I'm supposed to meet someone in a few minutes!"

"Then go meet them," Seishirou said. "I'm not going to keep you from meeting your friends."

Yuzuriha nodded. She turned and ran off. Suddenly, she turned and waved to Seishirou.

"Thanks again for the ice cream, Seishirou-san!" she called.

"You're welcome!" Seishirou called back to the inugami mistress.

Yuzuriha turned and bounded off and Seishirou entered the park. He quickly made his way to the Tree. When he approached it, he felt its energy wrap around him like an embrace. He stood underneath the Tree for a few minutes, taking off his sunglasses and staring up through the pink ceiling of petals with mismatched eyes.

::Did you have fun today?:: the Tree asked.

::The girl's a good conversationalist,:: Seishirou replied.

::So, you broke from your usual schedule of stalking Subaru to have ice cream with a fourteen-year-old?::

::So what?::

::So, I'm amazed that you can actually stop spying on the kid long enough to have a bit of a social life.::

::Shut up.::

The Tree laughed. Seishirou rolled his eyes and sat at the base of the Tree. He leaned against its trunk and closed his eyes. Yuzuriha had been a great companion for the day, a mix of the Sumeragi twins back in the day. She had Hokuto's boundless energy and Subaru's innocence.

Perhaps he should get the girl ice cream more often.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Wow. I actually manage to write this in a hurry and still managed to keep it sounding okay. We have finals today at my school and the class I was in when I was writing this was actually a credit recovery class, so I just fooled around on the computer for the entire hour and forty-five minutes.

Oh, yeah. In case you want to see the picture I mentioned earlier, here's the link:

http://www.deviantart.com/view/8171582/