X/1999 Fan Fiction ❯ Seeing Your Pain ❯ Seeing Your Pain ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Seeing Your Pain

An SxS fanfic from Kamui's POV

I watch the sky as Subaru's kekkai disintegrates. Fear grips my heart as Arashi and I race towards the Rainbow Bridge. I fear the worst.

Approaching the bridge, two figures can be seen through the smoke and rubble. One man is draped against the other. The fallen man raises his head, slowly. He puts his hand to the younger man's face.

Seishirou Sakurazuka, the infamous killer, the Sakurazukamori, has been struck down. A fist-sized hole runs through his chest, his dark crimson blood seeping from the wound. He looks to his lover's face, a face stricken with horror.

Arashi and I stop, standing there amongst the rubble of the broken bridge. We don't dare approach, as we know that this moment is best not interrupted. I watch as the two onmyouji sit among the broken pieces of concrete.

Seishirou's lips move. I know he is speaking to Subaru. I can't hear him, and I know that's what he wants. He wants Subaru to hear, not me.

Subaru's face is streaked with blood and tears. I don't know if the blood is his or not. There's no way for me to tell. His normally pristine white trench coat is dyed crimson with Seishirou's blood.

From where I stand, I see the pain that Subaru is suffering: the pain of losing a loved one. I know that pain all too well. I have felt it many times.

My childhood sweetheart, Kotori… My mother, Tooru Shirou… My aunt, Tokiko Magami… I've lost so many people. Loss is abundant in my life, and I wish it wasn't.

I can see so much pain radiating from Subaru's face as he looks down at his lover. I can't understand how he feels. Watching as your loved one dies, and you know you can't do a thing about it. That is the pain Subaru is feeling at this moment.

I raise my arm, reaching out towards Subaru. Then I pause. Seeing Subaru like this makes me think. This could be me. During the final battle that I know is to come, I could wind up sitting, holding Fuuma as he dies.

I shake my head, trying not to think about it. Looking back towards Subaru and his loved one, I watch as Seishirou closes his eyes for the last time. Subaru whispers something to the Sakurazukamori's lifeless body. Tears run down his face.

I stand there, watching. I see the pain Subaru is feeling in those tears that fall from his mismatched eyes. I don't like seeing him like this. I start to walk towards him, but stop as I hear a long, metallic groan.

"The bridge is collapsing!" I hear Arashi cry.

I can't reach Subaru in time. I scream his name.

"SUBARU!!!!!"