X-men Evolution Fan Fiction / X-Men Fan Fiction ❯ End of our Days ❯ Out Of The Void, Into The Dawn ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Dream
'Telepathy'
Chapter 4: Out Of The Void, Into The Dawn
“I can't believe these guys in S.H.I.E.L.D. are so inept.” Neal mused aloud “And to think that national security depends so much on them - what a joke!”
Jean turned to them all, after having mulled the whole story over in her own mind for what now seemed like forever “Fury had been under mind control, forcing him to dispose of the Brotherhood, so that no one with even the remotest possibility to prevent mutant intrusion would be anywhere near the prison. They were sent on a false trail, all the way to the other side of the globe. And in the meantime, our two escapees were broken out - while the whole guard squad was out cold.”
“What I don't get though is, how they could put all their eggs in only one basket, so to speak?!” Warren asked taken aback “They can't expect Lance and the others to be always there for every situation - this case only proved it!” Jean frowned “I know - that's exactly what I meant, when I called Fury an idiot on the phone. The Directorate had no protection from psychic powers over their facility and without someone from the Brotherhood there, they were practically sitting ducks in such a situation.”
“What happened to `em anyway?” Logan asked pensively. Jean fixed her gaze to her screen, opening one of the files, before explaining “There had supposedly been a reported disturbance somewhere in South Africa - a renegade mutant was stealing the energy of the local inhabitants. At least, that's what the guys were told. Only, when they arrived, it turned out that everyone in the place - civilians and authorities alike; were under a mass psychosis. It took the gang quite the time, and not to mention effort, to merely calm them down. And it would ensure they were too prone to deal with whoever broke in, even if they had made it back there on time.”
“Both are connected, that much is obvious. But, it must have taken someone really powerful to induce such a widespread illusion.” Psylocke pondered aloud and Angel commented “Yeah, reminds me of a particular someone, or in fact two…”
“Mastermind.” Moira offered, while Logan spat “And Mesmero.” However, Magneto interjected “I wouldn't count on the first one - Wyngarde's abilities were quite limited for a stunt like that. But I have to agree about our other candidate - his were a lot more potent than Mastermind's, and most probably increased by Apocalypse, as well. Plus, we do not know for sure what went on with the old man post the first attempt - there is always the possibility he had managed to find his master.” His gaze sought out Jean's and she answered with a small nod, before adding “And who is to say He didn't have others in his service - for all we know, there may be another telepath, as strong, or even more so, than Mesmero.”
“It's definitely likely.” Neal agreed “I doubt, that even Mesmero's gift is that potent to enable him to maintain two powerful illusions at the same time - especially, given the distance in between. But, it still doesn't mean for sure that it's him behind the escape, or that it has anything to do with the Dark One. He supposedly discarded the old man the previous time, didn't he? And Magnum is the only other one with some link to Apocalypse, and that's dubious at best. After all, he might have had his X-factor awakened by the Eye of Ages, but that doesn't mean he'd run back to work for its 'owner' so to speak. For all that's worth, he probably never heard of any Apocalypse to begin with.”
Kurt, who so far had been silent, finally entered the conversation, his brow furrowed in contemplation “Now that I think about it, guys, Mandy just told me something similar to that sham mission.” all eyes were on him now, questioning, and he elaborated “There vere some isolated accidents like this in Berlin - she saw it on the news. People - seemingly drained of all their strength, a couple even disappearing, like nothingness had consumed them. And all any vitnesses saw, was a dark blur, before they went unconscious - the same void, which had apparently svallowed the missing. It's not known whether whoever's responsible for these, is a mutant, let alone able to port all the vay to South Africa, but it might be a clue.
“And though she lives in Bavaria, I'm scared for Mandy, so I told her to get the first plane for New York. But she doesn't vant to leave her mother…” Xavier looked at the blue mutant, expression sombre “She would indeed better come here; at least, we will be certain she is safe. From what is happening there, it may well be a mutant, potentially dangerous.”
He paused for a brief moment, before saying aloud what almost everyone else had discerned “And whoever had induced the psychosis might be knowledgeable of that mutant, I wouldn't exclude another link either. Neal,” he turned to the dark-haired man “You and Kurt will investigate these occurrences - we must be prepared. And escort Mrs Sefton and her daughter back to Bayville.”
Both men nodded in agreement. “I am afraid, things are truly serious - when it comes to Apocalypse, we mustn't rule out any possibility; especially, given that back then, Mesmero denied so fervently that his master had abandoned him.” he turned to the others “He may already be on the move and if the person behind the whole scheme, are truly in his service, it looks like He's trying to build himself an army.”
“But it'll be the Brotherhood, who'll be most likely to pay.” Jean put in, eyes narrowed “`Cause though they were tricked, that didn't save them from the Department's wrath. There are even darker voices, not too loud yet, but with potential to become extra vocal, if this isn't sorted out.”
“What sort of voices?” Neal inquired, somewhat confused, and the red-haired telepath let out a laboured breath, before elaborating “Some assert the Brotherhood were connected with the escape…as in accomplices, basing their claims on the fact that both escapees are mutants. Raven told me, she as well is under suspicion - for orchestrating the ordeal. Particularly, since Fury was under mutant control and she did break Juggernaut out before. Well, we of course know that was in the past, but these guys don't care.” Betsy snorted indignantly “That's beyond ridiculous! I can't believe, these people could stoop this low. To actually imply Avalanche and Co. staged the whole thing - give me a break!”
“It is indeed preposterous.” Erik's voice had acquired a distinct, steely quality “That group may not have the cleanest records, but they have proven themselves.”
“I know my…” Kurt hesitated a bit at the word to use next, since his relations with Mystique were still a bit strained “…mother isn't the most innocent person, but I seriously doubt she vould ever help Mesmero or anyone like him again. After all, it got her turned to stone and then brainwashed to boot.” he put in a grave tone.
“Besides, they don't stand to gain anything from it, and they have been in the Directorate's employment for years now - surely, their bosses must havealready been shown where their loyalties lie.” Moira commented exasperated and Xavier nodded in approval “This is simply, I'm afraid, the newest attempt of mutant-haters to set off a conflict. And this time, they are aiming as high as possible.”
“And, guess who's giving them not only an ear, but a platform too.” Jean added; her voice dripping with resent for the man in question. “Edward Kelly.” Logan frowned angrily “I shoulda known he'd be behind somethin' as low as that. Had tah silence the bastard years ago!” his fist slammed on the metal surface in front of him, but seeing the Professor's reprimanding expression, he apologised sheepishly “Sorry, Chuck.”
Phoenix, however, couldn't help adding “Logan may be right, after all - with that mess, Trask may well be given a green light to resurrect the Sentinel programme, now that Kelly and his clique are asserting the robots would've done better in the situation. And who knows where they can go from there.” her dangerous tone carried a more than clear hint as to what that may be. “In fact, they might have already started.” Xavier put in, tapping on one of the additional files Mystique had sent them. “What's that?” Neal eyed the strange-looking, collar-like object onscreen, suspiciously.
“They're power-inhibitors.” Jean explained to her stunned team-mates “Designed to counter mutant abilities. The Department used them on some of the most dangerous prisoners, Magnum too amongst them, though there aren't many - yet. But no one in S.H.I.E.L.D., except Trask, knew about these - not even Fury, Raven or Hank, were aware of their existence before this fiasco, let alone the Brotherhood. And it just makes me wonder what else is being withheld from mutants.” her eyes narrowed severely and flames burned in them, but Erik's reassuring hand interlaced with hers calmed down her inner fire and anger.
He, at the same time, cast Xavier a look that clearly said `I warned you, Charles.', while Betsy spoke up “Which leads us to our ultimate question - do we interfere at all? Though, I say we help them out. After all, we're on the same side.” Jean bit her lip, nodding “I'm with Bess on this one - they've earned it.”
She didn't need to read Erik's mind to decipher the message in his blue gaze. The mere mention of such outrageous accusations and the danger possibly facing fellow mutants, particularly his children and the young woman at his side, were enough to secure his positive vote. Even though, he'd never admit it when it came to his twins - they might be on speaking terms, but that didn't mean they talked much.
“Warren? Neal? Kurt?” Xavier turned to each of them, eyes asking silently. Angel's face had darkened progressively throughout the meeting, and now, he simply put in “Count me too.” while their fuzzy friend only nodded. Thunderbird seemed to be mulling over the whole situation, gaze slightly distant, before he snapped out of his contemplation, only to add “And me.”
“It's decided then - I'll inform Raven we are in.” the Professor concluded on a firm note with everyone's expressions holding silent accord.
Just then, the phone rang like a siren in the resultant stillness, and Neal, who was closest, almost jumped from his seat in shock. Quickly regaining his senses though, he picked up and exchanged a couple of phrases with whoever was on the other end of the line. Turning to the others' inquisitive looks, he clarified “It's Lance - they'll come the day after tomorrow, if that's okay with us.”
All exchanged confirming gazes, before Xavier affirmed “Tell them they're welcome, whenever they can make it - there will be at least one of us to meet them.” After finishing and hanging up, Thunderbird added thoughtfully “If they're in such a hurry to get out of there, whatever is happening can't be good at all.”
“As if everything else wasn't enough!” Phoenix gave out a frustrated sigh, gladly relishing in Erik's relaxing warmth, while he put in “I must agree with Neal - but I consider it better, if we split into groups."
“Erik's right.” Xavier said firmly "Kurt and Neal will go to Berlin as established. Betsy,” he turned to the purple-haired woman “you and Warren are going to investigate the origin of these anti-power collars - Raven has sent us all the info she could attain on them. And try finding out if there is anything we can do, to prevent their further use.” Both X-Men nodded, while he went on, addressing their medic, a hint of a smile playing on his lips “Moira, I leave you and Logan in charge of the school's daily running. I will be going to Washington to try helping the guys as much as possible in the political circles, and see if I can calm things down at least a bit.”
Everyone instinctively looked at the last two left. “Jean, Erik.” Xavier began, eyes on the pair “Finding the escapees' location I leave to you two. But don't push yourself too much.” he added for the young telepath's particular benefit “And be extra careful - if Apocalypse is behind this, they might be with him already. Yet, under no circumstances are you to enter his mind, or try any contact again-” Her reproachful look and the equally disapproving glare the Master of magnetism gave him, made Xavier elaborate “-unless, according to your judgement, the situation requires it.”
Both immediately relaxed, though, if Erik were to be truthful, he himself was worried at the possible outcome, if the redhead attempted any such intervention. For, despite his firm faith in her, the old fear for her safety; born on that conversation, when she had first admitted to contacting the Dark One; was steadily creeping into him again. However, her eyes, when she turned to face him, said everything. He had no cause for worry - she was ready for it, and for the right reasons. There was no more guilt to punish herself for; it was just part of the job now; in which, to his utter satisfaction, they were to be together…
Reality, however, kicked sharply back in, when Xavier finished his instructions “One last thing for you both. Before you go to apprehend them, leave your coordinates. I want to be sure you will have adequate back-up, just in case you have a run-in with any unforeseen support for their side.” The pair exchanged silent looks, agreeing the plan was reasonable, and Magneto's affirmative gaze was all he gave his friend, before the latter put in “But all of us start off tomorrow - we will need our rest. Session is over.” Everyone breathed a sigh of relief at finally being dismissed, since almost all were quite tired already. Wolverine, however, looked less than pleased with the arrangements - and his squinted gaze at one particular operation pair did nothing to ease the situation. Before he was able to protest though, Neal and Kurt dragged him out of the Control room to prepare the X-jet for their mission.
Betsy and Angel remained to study the files and discuss their plans, and Moira went to check on the students. Meanwhile, Erik and Jean used the opportunity to sneak out together undetected, for a few more moments alone on the starlit balcony, before they retired for the night.
------------------------------------
The air was strangely still, close to frozen in motion, as she moved slowly towards the twin ancient doors that were her target. How come the whole thing was deserted? But most of all, what was this place, where time seemed to have stopped permanently? Or maybe it had never even begun here at all. A location outside of all time. A place, that oddly rang a bell in the hazy depths of her oldest memories…
She didn't remember whatsoever how she got there, in the first place. Nor did she recall what precisely it looked like - the doors were the only part that wasn't obscure. To her disappointment though, they appeared to be getting farther by the move, or was it simply her strength failing her at the last minute? Still, she didn't care; for, all that mattered was that she reached them - whatever the cost. Even if she didn't know exactly why she needed to do that so much.
Seconds dragged like eons, but with one final step her fingers lay on the knobs and she twisted them almost violently, trying to push the wings open, yet in vain. All her powers, everything she used, gave no results…Giving them one last fierce kick, she eyed the darn doors angrily, before a well-known voice made her blood run cold and her skin burn pleasantly, all at once…
`It is still not the time for this, Phoenix - patience…Patience, my Eternal Flame, that is what you need for now. We shall be here again very soon; it holds so many memories…' She couldn't help herself - closing her eyes, drowning in his invisible presence, that seemed to be swallowing her up whole in its darkness and warmth, which deep down, despite her best efforts to the contrary, she still craved so much…
`I am so close to you - closer than anyone can imagine and before long I will emerge into the dawn once more, to find you, this time for real. Wait for me…' And then, as if by instinct, her gaze shot open only to behold a huge, impenetrable void, akin to a vortex of darkness expanding by the moment. However, instead of consuming her or anything in its vicinity, it emitted an almost crushing amount of energy, which, rather than obliterating her, spread around like a wave and encircled her form.
The void was gone, submerged or eradicated by the flood of light, which merged with her surroundings, only to gather together again mere seconds later and form a silhouette she knew all too well. His arms reached out for her and she found her own extending towards his. Her fingers of flame were almost touching his, woven of the now black, shadowy energy, as his voice swept over her in a veritable tide of comfort `I'm coming…Wait for me…My love…' Yet, before she could hear that very last, she felt so far away, that his words were unable to reach her…
And with a start, Jean woke up, only to realise she was in her bed in the Mansion. Cursing under her breath, she sat up against her pillows - why wouldn't he just leave her alone?! She'd told him as much before. But then, recalling the way she'd felt, her mind shot back the uncomfortable answer `Because in your innermost part you're still thinking of Him!' Yes, it was a subconscious thing - one she'd apparently never be rid of. So there was only one solution - simply accept that it was there to stay. And then ignore it and move on.
Still, that place she'd been in; it felt familiar, definitely somewhere she had been long ago, but one she couldn't reach without her full powers. Apparently, He knew it too. A location they shared in their memories. One that held happiness for them both…
And Jean couldn't help wondering, whether in fact she could have been wrong; that perhaps, there had truly been a `them', after all... But the rest of it - the void, the energy…his second rise was already in motion. Plus, he was moving faster than they had expected - something had happened and now it wasn't going to be long, before they were faced again with Apocalypse, only this time in all of his foreboding glory.
A warm sensation suddenly tugged at her mind and Jean turned towards her door, catching on a particular presence. She let her teke twist the knob and swing it open, but too fast for the person on the other side to be able to escape or hide, though he very obviously had no intention of doing either.
“It's seemingly becoming a habit.” her reassuring smile put him at ease immediately. He stood in the frame, the moonlight reflecting on his impressive bare chest, illuminating his whole magnificent physique and the redhead was unable to refrain from taking in the sight in front of her. He apparently slept only in the black silk pyjama bottoms he wore at the moment - no one had actually ever seen his night-wear before, as he always came fully dressed to breakfast. Yet, now with the pale radiance of the night giving his silver-white tresses a halo-like glimmer, icy-blue eyes dazzling like a pair of liquid crystals, it finally struck her just how handsome he was.
His reply, though, broke her out of her musings way too prematurely “I could not sleep and your magnetic aura was so agitated that it was akin to a beacon in the darkness - impossible to miss. Are you okay?” concern swam in his bottomless pools of blue, etched on every contour of his face. Jean nodded a bit tiredly “Yeah, just unable to get enough rest. Are you still going to stay at the door?”
He shifted a bit nervously “I am not sure if it is appropriate to come in - after all, these are your private quarters and I am not invited.” Jean rolled her eyes “Oh, drop that fancy language - and don't worry, I just did invite you, didn't I? But I think, it'll be better, if we went somewhere else - if I stay here, I'll only be reminded of the rest I can't get.”
He smiled in agreement, as a sudden idea shot through his mind “Come with me!” and a minute later, as they walked to their destination, he had slowly let his arm wrap around her waist and, to his immense delight, she snuggled closer to him too.
Finally reaching their target, Jean, however, abruptly stopped when she saw which exactly it was, and turned to him “Are you sure?” But the look in his pools of sky-blue told her he truly was in earnest, as he whispered “Yes…Plus, you are welcome here at any time.” before adding with a smile “I thought you already knew that.”
Totally at ease now, Jean entered with him and took a seat at the foot of his bed, while he said smiling “Let's at least try to relax - even if we cannot sleep. We would all need our energy from tomorrow. Or is it today already?” unable to prevent a heart-felt grin of her own, Jean propped herself on the backboard as he sat down at her side. His eyes, however, hadn't moved from her face the whole time, and, finally becoming aware of his piercing gaze, she asked him, slightly confused “What is it?”
“Something is bothering you.” He moved closer, so now their sides brushed and his hand took her chin, causing their eyes to meet “What's plaguing you, Flare? Nightmares?” Despite his worry for her, he still couldn't stiffen a smile, seeing her brilliant emerald eyes light up even more at his private nickname for her - one, he thought truly fitted her personality. Plus, he knew she liked it - just as much as he was fond of her calling him Silver.
“No…I just get loads of flashbacks these days - too many to let me rest, frustrating at times, but never bad. Yet, some things I just can't chase away… ” His sky-coloured orbs darkened with concern “Is it Him - does he want to force a contact with you?” To his utter relief, she shook her head slightly, but then added “I banned him from calling to me and he can't, unless I allow him to - it was only temporary anyway. But he'll be awake soon, I can feel it. We can't prevent it - only lessen its effects, try thwarting the destruction, avoid casualties. But not stop him from taking his place…Not yet…” Erik felt her shudder slightly and he drew her deeper into him, in a silent reassurance, helping her relax and forget all the foreboding feelings almost instantly. Still he had felt nearly physically the overwhelming yearning in her last two words and knew it had nothing to do with Apocalypse. Yet, to his deepest regret, he was more than powerless to help her with that.
“Speaking of plaguing,” she whispered from within his warmth “you're not so thought-free yourself.” His eyes glistened, as they met her emerald gaze “Even without reading my mind, I am still an open book for you.” Jean smirked “Isn't it part of the whole `getting to know each other' thing?” His smile mirrored hers, as he murmured, clear admiration woven in his voice “Very true, Flare, but your perceptive skills are still exceptional.”
“Well, who knows, we might just be of like mind - or traits.” she added, which caused an even deeper brilliance in his glittering blue orbs. They were indeed a lot alike - something both knew, and were truly fond of.
“It's Pietro and Wanda, isn't it?” she continued, however, and his gaze dimmed a bit “I might have been able to patch things up with them, at least a bit, but in the end, I proved a coward again. I simply cut communication with them down to a minimum - and now, I know that was the last I should have done.” Jean could clearly see all his past regret and couldn't deny him the comfort he so obviously needed.
Gently squeezing his fingers, her own trailed over his palm and she sensed his apprehension vanish nearly as quickly as it had come, replaced by a sensation of pure relief. “Remember, what I told you, a bit after you moved here…?” her soft voice penetrated so easily to his innermost self, caressing it just as tenderly, as the touch of her fingertips did his skin.
“Yes…” he mused quietly “`I can't fight your nightmares in your place - only you can do that, but I'll be beside you when you face them, and be there every step of the way…' You never offered to save me. And I never asked you to, either.” his velvety lips trailed over the crown of her scarlet tresses “Still, you urged me to confront my demons and stood by me when I did. So, in the end, you did exactly that.”
“And you returned the gesture just as readily...” her smile melted his heart, like a wave of pleasant, summer heat. “But you shouldn't worry about your children. They're grown up, just like the rest of us, and in two days, you'll see exactly how much. Yet, I can still tell you, it's enough for them to have learnt to forgive.” The look she gave him spoke volumes and he couldn't help but trust her - after all, he knew for sure he always could…
“What would I do without you?!” he whispered, his very soul drowning in her pools of green. Jean's gaze never left his “Actually, I could ask the very same about me…”
But each was already aware of the answers - for, neither could imagine their lives without the other in them, not anymore. Just as neither wanted to return to the time, before fate had brought them together, as they knew that all they had endured to reach this point, had been worth it in the end…
They were motionless for what seemed like hours, simply relishing in their shared time and the mutual solace it gave them. For, suddenly, there was no one else in the world - just the two of them. And somehow, it felt so utterly, unbreakably right…
Buried in the unique comfort that only his arms could ever provide her, Jean's eyes had gradually started closing and this didn't go past Erik, who murmured, contented “Looks like you had finally found the ability to get the rest you need, Flare.” The young telepath blinked a couple of times, before drowsiness took over, making her mutter “Yeah, maybe I had truly let go, at last…” He wondered what exactly she had meant, but in the end he shrugged it off as just an effect of her tiredness.
Scooping her up gently in his arms, he laid her on his bed, tucking her in, and was about to go settle himself on the couch, when her hand lightly tugged at his and she whispered, eyes blurry “Stay…Before, when I said I needed you, I meant it…” Erik suddenly sensed his lungs fight for breath, as he knew he couldn't deny that he had longed for that to be true, the very moment the words had left her lips, earlier that night. But her tiredness now had possibly made Jean's mind too hazy to appreciate what she said. Still, deep inside, something stronger than him pulled his soul irresistibly to hers, making him realise he was more than unable to tear away. So, he slowly lowered himself beside her, only to hold her close once more.
He sensed her fingers intertwine with his, and, as he too drifted off to sleep, he barely withheld a smile of contentment - she had found her calm and somehow that was all he needed to feel fulfilled. Seemingly, their unconventional mutual `therapy' had worked - for both of them, he had to admit; for, he too was finally so very close to being completely at peace. And all because of her becoming more and more an integral part of his life…
-------------------------------------
The first thing Jean knew, when she finally started to awaken, was that her face was buried into something warm and soft, which strangely felt like somebody's flesh. Still, the sensation was too good to pass and she had to practically force herself to open her eyes, since, truth be told, that was the last she wanted to do right now.
What greeted her, however, only proved her earlier suspicions as, instead of the sunlight from her room's window, her gaze met tanned skin with considerable muscles rippling underneath. Emerald travelled slowly upwards, until it locked with the most beautiful sky-blue and the latter's owner gave her a dashing smile, before whispering “Morning, sleepyhead. It does feel better now, doesn't it - after a good night's rest?”
Jean blinked several times, just to make sure she was indeed seeing what she thought she did, not that she minded it at all “Erik? Where am I?” The light in his eyes diminished slightly “You don't remember?” she could have sworn there was faint disappointment in his voice and something more, which she couldn't really place.
He had to actually compel his heart to slow down, as it was virtually racing at that moment. Ever since he had awoken, a lot earlier than her in fact, he had found himself too enthralled by the remarkable sight she was, to even think about getting out of bed, let alone actually do it. She had been so peaceful, laying in his arms, her head resting on his chest, hot breath and soft scarlet waves caressing his skin akin to the touch of the purest silk, and one slender arm around his waist, just like his encircled hers. True beauty…one, which emanated from the very depths of her being, to create the enchanting creature in his embrace.
And all he craved was simply to be allowed to continue savouring the absolutely right way she felt in his arms. As if that was, where she had always been meant to be…And while his usually logical mind told him he was supposed to wonder why it was so, he couldn't care less about the reasons, or rationality in general. It just did, and that was all that mattered.
Yet, as these unusual thoughts had raced through him so did the inevitable fear of her reaction, when she woke up and found exactly where she was, not to mention her position. The dread, that she wouldn't recall last night's events or her words. Though he wasn't going to keep her to those - she had been exhausted to the point of not knowing what she said, but still, he couldn't chase away that irrational yearning for them to have been in earnest…
But now, her confusion made his insides constrict almost painfully, as he went on, voice slightly trembling “In my room, Flare, where we were last night.”
Her eyes sparkled, recollection finally dawning in them and he sensed himself relax considerably, especially when she put in “Oh, sorry for being still hazy - and for causing you trouble.” He could tell she was feeling a bit awkward and so he added, himself at ease again, his lips unstoppably forming a smile “No inconvenience whatsoever resulted, I assure you. I meant what I said before - you are always welcome here.” Jean raised an eyebrow humorously “Even in your bed?” and Erik couldn't withhold a grin “I was going to take the couch actually.”
Her own smile widened “True gentleman, if I ever saw one. But I asked you not to.” His eyes went wide with surprise, by all means more than pleasant, and she added “Thought I didn't know what I was doing, didn't you?” He breathed a sigh of relief, but then the mischievous glint in her gaze gave her away. “You were messing around with me!” he exclaimed with mock accusation in his voice, and she just grinned at him playfully, before he tackled her on the pillows in a tickle fest.
Emerging several minutes later, still laughing heartily, he proceeded to try disentangling the blankets, so that she could rise if she wanted to, when Jean's hand brushed over his bare shoulder. Erik's gaze immediately locked with hers, as she murmured “I stand behind every word I said.” Feeling pure contentment swell up in him, he took her fingers, caressing her palm with his soft lips, before whispering “Thank you. It means so much to me…”
“Always welcome, Silver - never doubt that!” was her heart-felt reply, when suddenly she jumped away. His confused gaze was answered though; when she told him “Charles is looking for us telepathically - we're late for the final briefing! I blocked him, but he's bound to think something's off, if I go on for any longer.” Erik could see the panic swimming in her emerald orbs and rubbed her upper arms in an attempt to soothe her “Don't worry - we'll think of a good enough explanation.”
“There's no time for that!” was Jean's somewhat angry answer, and before he could say anything, she had flipped the door open with her teke and flown out, leaving him staring after her with a mixture of inexplicable longing and slight hurt. For, her hasty departure had left him both rather unsure of whether she had been there, to begin with, and feeling oddly deprived, though of what exactly, remained stubbornly elusive…
Later that morning, he sensed her enter Control, even before he saw her per se, not needing to feel her magnetic aura to know it was Jean. Turning to face her, the moment their eyes met, he couldn't stop a smile. For, truth be told, that lingering sadness born by her exit earlier on, had already fled his self at the mere sight of her.
However, before she could even open her mouth to apologise, he beat her to it, putting one long slender finger on her lips “No damage done, Flare, so, don't trouble yourself.” She regarded him a bit incredulously, but his eyes told her he truly meant it.
They had been at their task for what seemed like forever now. Unbeknownst to them, it was in fact after midnight, but they didn't notice, with Erik busy going over maps and data, while Jean attempted to locate both escapees' mutant signatures. However, every single time she was able to reach their presences, they disappeared, until she felt them again. After several such attempts, the redhead hung her head in her hands frustrated “Damn it, I can't believe that - it's as if someone's moving them, every time I get a hold!”
Magneto took his attention away from the screen, to rub the small of her back affectionately “Hey, don't beat yourself about it - we might have some progress after all, look here!” he drew her closer to him, simultaneously enabling her to have a good sight of the monitor he'd been using “I actually managed to follow their locations on the main computer, and I have something of a pattern forming - Mexico, China, Egypt and Germany, and then they were gone again.”
“Apocalypse's old strongholds…” Jean said aloud what both were thinking “But with several different locations in each bigger area...” she trailed off, before exclaiming “I should've known! Whoever broke them out also have a teleporter at their disposal, and he's doing those leaps.” However, Magneto mused “But even so, the speed he is going at, is impossible for someone, transporting two others in such vast distances.”
Jean studied the diagrams he had made, and to Erik's puzzlement her lips formed an unmistakeable grin, which grew by the second “That's the thing - he isn't, not really at least. See this?” she pointed out the somewhat erratic movements, he had mapped out “There're slight deviations in each teleport - almost too small to notice at first glance. And the pattern would only be consistent, if the objects, or people, are moved from one point to another physically.”
“You mean, he is not teleporting them at all?!” Magneto was now completely baffled. Jean, though, shook her head “He isn't, per se - teleportation is psionic by nature and if whoever has it is telepathic too, they may even perform it without moving their body. What our newcomer is actually doing, is transport their astral shadows, made up of bits of their minds, in order to send anyone who'd attempt finding them; on a wild goose chase, till they gave up.”
Magneto rubbed his chin in contemplation “Both teleporter and telepath, in one…They have quite the support already.” His companion nodded “And either he also has back-up in concealing our targets' true locations, or he's quite strong himself…” her grin grew to predatory, as her eyes burned with golden-crimson flames “But not as much as to prevent intrusion - not now, that I know exactly what to look for!” She sighed slightly annoyed, her eyes narrowing dangerously “He wants to play dirty? Fine by me - I was already sick of following the rules, anyway…Time to employ the heavy artillery!”
“Just be careful, okay?” Jean squeezed his fingers lightly, grateful at his unhidden care “I promise.” before putting in “You'd want to wear your helmet, though - the proximity may be too risky for a non-psychic, even one with your shields.” and he did as asked, his heart skipping a beat at the faint notes of worry for him, which this simple statement had borne.
Ascertaining he was in no danger, Phoenix finally released enough of her vast telepathy, to cover the whole planet and concentrated on the presences they needed. Progressively narrowing down the possibilities, at last she got closer to her targets, pushing at the psychic barriers around them, and breaking them down effortlessly. Pure delight swam in her, as she drowned into her longing to face the rival telepath directly, to toy with them like a cat with its prey, but instead she forced herself to concentrate on the task at hand. Emerging from her powers' engagement, Jean reluctantly let the flames in her eyes die out; as she turned to her partner “They're in Germany, close to Berlin.”
“It did strike me as the odd place out.” he admitted, before taking her in his arms delighted, pure admiration in his pools of sky-blue “You were brilliant! These guys would think twice now, before they try to pull anything on you, Flare…” his breath, as he whispered in her ear, tickled her skin, making her close her eyes and drown in the sensation of pure pleasure, it gave rise to. Still, she couldn't help eyeing him surprised mere seconds later “You saw all? But how?”
“I don't know.” he replied, truly in the dark “Oddly enough, my mind suddenly felt really close to yours, and your telepathy, perhaps, sort of `dragged it for the ride', so to speak.”
“Oh…” she smiled sheepishly “Sorry for that!” but the look in his blue orbs told her she had nothing to apologise for. Still, she went on, a steely note creeping in her voice “There were indeed two…One was Mesmero, while the other was strong indeed, and most of his additional abilities are psionic-based too. He'd be a formidable opponent.” her old predatory-like grin settled back “But not an invincible one - he'll need quite the time to gather enough energy to stand right now, let alone try anything like this stunt anytime soon.” Her expression suddenly shifted to serious “Yet, what worries me more, is they're both working for Guess Who.”
Erik sensed his frown deepen “Charles was apparently right - He is trying to build himself an army. The time must be close…” However, right then, something struck them both, and Jean felt her gaze widen “Oh my God! Germany…” and he immediately caught on her implied thought “Neal and Kurt!” Phoenix nodded, immediately contacting them mentally and warning them to be on guard.
Sitting back in his seat, Magneto then added, gradually more relieved “At least, we do not have to worry about our escapees anymore - with that teleporter incapacitated for the time being, he wouldn't be moving them anywhere. Not to mention, they were quite affected too.” Jean felt his arms snake around her, and she relaxed in their gentle embrace, as his hot breathing caressed her cheek “So, we can have some well-deserved rest, before we go hunting them tomorrow.” Her hand came to cup his face, while she whispered with a smile “I couldn't agree more, you know…”
-----------------------------------
Exodus held his head with both hands, practically struggling for breath, as he tried, mostly in vain, to regain his clear mind. That mutant, whoever it had been, was so powerful, they had nearly lobotomised him - he had only got away through sheer luck; mentally, as well as physically exhausted. And with himself being one of the most potent psychics on the planet, that said something. Seemingly, the other only wanted to scan his brain, but not destroy it.
Just then, despite the vast distance between them and his failing powers, he was also finally able to feel Mesmero stir from the coma-like state, he'd been put in by the stranger. Du Paris had indeed taken it all out on the old man, when he had called a couple of hours ago. But right now he was more than grateful he had listened to their Master, and had done the cover together with the other telepath. Or the mighty Exodus would've been brain-dead for sure.
Pushing himself hard to move, with the biggest effort he could muster, he tried to sit up in his chair, as he pressed the communication button and the screen flared to life, his `colleague' coming on. He too looked haggard and shaken, as he attempted to stand straight without falling, and failing miserably in the process. Finally, he resolved himself to prop his back on the nearby wall, while Exodus addressed him “Alive and kicking still, I hope?”
Mesmero snorted “About the `alive' bit - barely, as for the `kicking' - not any better than yourself. At least, we have some success - our previous enterprise went more than smoothly, and my charges are still breathing, though I find it increasingly hard at the moment. And judging by theirs and my own state, not to mention yours, we will not be going anywhere soon.” However, his strained face then formed a grin “But unlike you, I know who our assailant was - and we should be grateful she let us escape with our lives and brains still intact, given what she is able to do!”
“She? Who are you referring to?” The older man eyed the other patronisingly “Let's just say, I have encountered her before - when she still was nowhere as powerful as now, but was exhibiting the signs already…” The blue-haired mutant frowned “Now you lost me completely.” Yet, his partner chuckled somewhat amusedly “Our Master has plans for her, so we better not interfere.”
This particular revelation made Exodus realise “So she is the one He thinks so much about…” he whispered to himself, while adding aloud “I have a way to fix myself, but I will need time. Meanwhile, continue with the previewed arrangements! I shall be there for my own part.” Mesmero nodded in earnest, before Exodus switched off the screen and leaned back in his chair.
So, that was her, he mused; the mysterious Phoenix - a name, which finally had, at least some incarnation for him. And to his own astonishment, he wondered what she truly was like…
His reverie, however, was broken quickly, as a voice spoke behind him “How're they doing - any close to coming home already?” Exodus didn't turn, but instead fixed his unmoving gaze on the blank screen in front of him, his mind on his recent experience, as he replied “Yes, Morph, they have one last task to do and we will be ready for the final step.”
--------------------------------------
“That's just plain veird, if you ask me!” grunted Nightcrawler, as he and Thunderbird scouted one of Berlin's suburbs, where the strange occurrences had been first reported “Ve've been here a whole day, and no sign of anything even remotely disturbing.”
“As for that, Blue, you produced a big enough disturbance yourself, I should say.” Neal's gaze was mildly reproachful, as he addressed his friend. The latter, however, fixed him with a glare “Hey, it vasn't my fault, that some wannabe-Gambit thought my image-inducer was a fancy watch, and tried to steal it!”
“You could've ported out of there, anyways - but you stood like a stone statue in the middle of the crowd, Kurt!”
“Yeah let's see how you'd react if you vere in my place, bigmouth!” Nighcrawler protested fervently, but then added on a calmer note “And who knows - we might simply be unlucky. Maybe our target's keeping a low profile?” No sooner had he said that, however, they heard a scream that made both of them jump, and Neal snorted “So much for the low profile.” as Kurt ported them in the direction of the shriek.
The sky had darkened, even though it was still prior to midday, with people running in panic, and away from what looked like tentacles, made of some dark matter mixed with golden hue. The police was trying to set, whoever had got trapped by them, free; but apparently, even lasers couldn't cut through the coils entrapping the victims. Neal shot his plasma blasts at the strands, yet no effect whatsoever resulted - they were as if made of adamantium. But now, the things were after him as well, so he had to fly up to escape them, but only by a hair's breath.
Kurt, who had tried, successfully, to free several captives by porting them out of the strands' hold was in no better situation himself. “Thunderbird!” he called his team-mate on his communicator “These seem to be draining people from their energy! So, keep away!
Got it, Blue!” However, just then, he noticed a shadowy blur, that seemed to be the origin of the strands “There's also something that might be the core of these things, right on top of that building, opposite you. I'll target it, and I'll tell you what happens!
OK, Nightcrawler out!” But while Kurt was dodging the mysterious tentacles left and right with several very narrow escapes, Neal's blasts had proven largely ineffective against the dark mass. His frustration was getting the better of him, not to mention tiredness was beginning to settle in, as he had never used such an amount of his energy in this short a time-span.
He had gathered another huge blast, ready to launch it at the blur, when he heard an unmistakeable mental voice in his own mind `You certainly are persistent! But that'll be your downfall.' The dark-haired man could almost hear the other's snigger, when it dawned on him and he pushed the intruder out as strongly as he could, while also calling to Kurt “Blue, it's a mutant we're dealing with, after all - and he's a telepath too, though not very potent, yet guard your mind!
No more civilians're around, but it's vay too quite now…” No sooner had he said that, and there was a loud crash and the sound of breaking concrete and metal, as a person, very familiar to both X-Men, now stood next to the supposed mutant, on the rooftop.
“If that ain't one o' those meddling students o' my brother!” Juggernaut snickered at Kurt, who had now joined Neal on the top; spitting out the last word with more malice than either X-Man thought possible “What do yah say, partner - should we give `em a run for their money?” The dark mass suddenly shifted, solidifying in one swift motion into a tall mutant, covered with navy and gold armour-like plates that looked to be his real skin, a thick tail of baby-blue hair flowing from his crown. His smirk mirrored the enhanced human's “Absolutely!”
But before either could make a move, another voice boomed “Hey, it ain't fair only you two to have all the fun!” and Moses Magnum stood together with the others, releasing a pulse wave that caught both X-Men off guard, knocking them off the roof.
Neal managed to stabilise himself, while Kurt teleported safely to the ground “What the heck?! I thought they'd be hiding! And how do they know that blue guy?” Nighcralwer exclaimed. “Beats me!” Neal admitted, before shooting a plasma blast at Magnum, who had jumped down to the street with the other two. Juggernaut ran for Kurt, who ported in the very last minute, stunned by the enhanced velocity Marco seemed to have acquired. Meanwhile, the navy-blue mutant had unwinded his body into tentacles again, aiming for both X-Men, who managed to escape them barely, as he turned out to be able to shoot them at quite high speed.
Locked in a seemingly endless struggle, neither group was prevailing; yet the two X-Men realised the others were more toying with them, than anything. And it seemingly had its intended result, with Thunderbird already close to exhaustion, and Kurt getting rapidly there too. Neal was almost caught by one of Magnum's pulse blasts, which didn't incapacitate him, yet left him quite shaken and disoriented, making him fall to the ground. Kurt grabbed him just in time landing them both, but with his attention on his team-mate, he missed Juggernaut smashing into a nearby wall, and was hit by one of the concrete chunks from its wreck. The knock wasn't fatal in any way, but proved enough to prevent him from teleporting himself and Neal from underneath.
Just then, however, Nighcrawler felt the debris lift from his prone form, and he and Thunderbird regained their focus again, as they heard Magnum's unmistakable cry of pain and saw him fly by and hit a building, caught by what looked like a ball of fire. And the next they knew, Magneto had taken on Juggernaut, immobilising him and ripping off his helmet's locks one by one. Meanwhile Phoenix used her teke and pyrokinesis on the navy-skinned mutant to pin him down helpless, paralysing his tentacles, at the same time knocking out Marco with a psi-blast. In the interim, Kurt and Neal took the opportunity to deal with Magnum, managing to keep him at bay, despite their own weariness.
“Let's get them back to jail, shall we?” Magneto turned to Phoenix with a smile. The redhead smirked at the three captives “With pleasure.”
“Not if I have anything to say about it!” Everybody's attention immediately whipped to the speaker - an imposing man with bluish hair and a long dark cape, flowing behind him. Phoenix narrowed her eyes at him, projecting to Erik `It's our teleporter.' while addressing the newcomer aloud “I wouldn't, if I were you.” A smirk started forming on his lips “Ah, you are powerful indeed - took me a lot to get myself back running, I have to admit. But not even you will thwart our plans!” Instead of a reply, however, he got a fire-blast; that pierced through his protective field, sending him slamming hard into a wall, quite a few feet away.
`Impossible!' his mind screamed, but Phoenix simply lifted an eyebrow at him “Really? My Fire isn't your conventional one…Exodus.' His eyes went so wide at that, that she couldn't stop adding `Yes, now I know who you are.' His grin, however, suddenly grew `Then we will have no problems in acquainting ourselves, no?' Jean couldn't hold back a smirk of her own, which clearly spelled trouble for her opponent.
Still, he seemingly wouldn't pass the challenge, as he launched one of his force fields on her, combined with a telepathic attack. She repelled both smoothly though, reversing his psi-power to hit him back instead, before she called telepathically to Erik `I'll deal with him - get our renegades to where they belong!' Magneto, however, projected back as strongly as he could `I'm not leaving you!' Phoenix caught on it easily and smiled gratefully at him `I promise I'll take care. Now, go!'
He nodded, reluctantly leaving her to battle the newcomer, while he felt her relinquish her teke hold on the dark-blue mutant, and with some swift manipulation of his blood's iron, the Master of magnetism rendered the energy-absorber unconscious. After doing the same to Magnum, he turned to Neal and Kurt, who looked more than relieved to be free of the burden “Get the jet and collect Nighcrawler's fiancйe and her mother - your mission here is done! We will finish off the job.” Both men gave him looks of agreement and Kurt ported them to where they had stashed the Blackbird.
Meanwhile, Erik used his powers to gather all three of their captives in one place and bind them with some of the metal from the wreck and tried to get hold of Fury on his communicator to discuss transporting them back to the Directorate's prison. However, no one was answering, but he didn't give up, and finally he managed to find if not the top S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, at least those of his subordinates that were to prove the most useful. And luckily, they were already en route to exactly his present location.
Phoenix and Exodus, on the other hand, were meanwhile engaged in a full-fledged duel, with both of them hurling their best at the other; well, at least Du Paris did. For, Jean didn't need the full extent of her abilities to match and even exceed his. Nonetheless, fire, psi-energy blasts, debris, force fields and what not, crashed and burned around the two. Thankfully, the local police and then the military, had cut off the area, or no human in the vicinity would've survived the veritable inferno, which was currently taking place.
Exodus, however, was already close to failing, with his opponent proving way too strong for him, and just as capable, if not more, of using several of her powers at the same time, with success. Yet, in that very moment, when they were locked into a close-range struggle, her teke pushing violently at his shield, threatening to crush it and him too, he heard Mesmero's voice crack like a whip in his mind `Quit that non-sense at once! You were sent to complete a particular task, not to mess around - and definitely not with her, you idiot! Now, get to your job!'
He cursed under his breath - he didn't want to abandon the duel, but he knew he had to do it to finish off his task. And he had no choice, but to resort to that of his powers, which would restore his ailing self, despite the high risks of failure…
Phoenix felt the creeping sensation way too late, though. It was snaking into her, aiming for her psi-energy, which was plenty, and she finally realised - he was a psionic vampire, feeding off of all abilities of that nature to increase his own strength. She used her fire powers, making him back off, but he attacked again, and with every time she repelled him she grew weaker, as he sucked out her energy. Unbeknownst to her, Magneto had somehow felt her waning strength too, and had abandoned the captives, flying rapidly back to where she was, just in time, however, to see a real, mind-blowing stunt take place…
Jean was weaker by the minute now, yet, she couldn't chase away that strange sensation, lingering deep into her very core that felt like it was boiling, rebelling, desperately crying to be free…Until the moment, when she realised what it was - of course, she should have from the start, but with her mind becoming hazy it wasn't that easy. And instead of dread settling in her heart, a smile stretched her lips, as it was finally let loose. She felt it engulf her, spread through her whole being, make each and every nerve ending burn, till it reached a veritable climax; and, feeling close to ecstasy, she smirked at her adversary.
“Let's see how you handle some of your own medicine!” and now, using her newly awakened ability, Phoenix stopped the flow of her energy into his body, before trapping his channels and reversing the process, in turn beginning to absorb his own force. She felt herself rapidly come back to her normal state; huge energy sparks flying around them both, as Exodus let out a scream of pain.
However, being immersed in the sheer pleasure of feeling her energy absorption again was to prove almost fatal for her partner, as Du Paris aimed suddenly at the approaching Magneto. Using his psi-abilities, he launched a teke attack, which Erik met with a magnetic field, pushing it back. Yet, mere seconds later, after another heated struggle, his adversary managed to finally trap the metal-wielding mutant into a force-field, making it impossible for him to utilise his powers; and then hurled a pile of wreckage in his direction.
Phoenix, though, managed to snap out of it just in time, and while still keeping Exodus at bay; she stopped the debris and destroyed the shield. Magneto rushed towards her, and she was about to reprimand him for being so stubborn, when her mind started clouding again and she swayed dangerously, about to pummel to the ground. Erik caught her, however, and took her away from the now, himself close to unconscious, blue-haired mutant. But not before trapping the latter in a sort-of cage, made from all the metal rubble around.
They landed several feet away and he cradled her to him, worried beyond anything he had imagined possible. He had seen her new powers surface, yet, apparently it had some negative effect on her as well. “Jean?!” he called to her, trying to keep his cool for her sake “Flare, talk to me!” His heart skipped a grateful beat, when her eyes opened and she whispered smiling “I missed that one a lot, you know!” before going limp in his arms.
He felt like his whole body had just been shut down - totally not functioning, his mind blank. Yet, thankfully, that was only for a split second, as he regained his senses with the speed of light, prompted by the danger his young partner might be in. Completely forgetting the captives and Exodus, his only concern was for her and he knew he needed an aircraft and fast, to get her back to the Mansion; since they had flown here with their anti-gravity abilities.
Just then, his communicator flared back to life and he heard one of the people, he'd most hoped for at that moment. “Father, we got here as fast as we could! Are you both okay?” asked Wanda, her voice worried. Magneto exhaled sharply, slightly relieved “Jean is down - one of her buried powers just manifested itself and she lost consciousness. As far as I know, all the previous times it was never that bad, but I fear, now there might be more damage. I can't fly her back quick enough, though. Where are you lot?” He could nearly see his daughter's smile; as she replied “Look right above you!”
And indeed, a large S.H.I.E.L.D. helicopter hovered over their now run-down surroundings. It lowered itself a bit, and Erik, who had flown up immediately to meet it, still cradling Phoenix to him; used his powers to almost crush-open the side doors and get in. He laid Jean's limp form gently on a pair of seats and whirled to the stunned expressions of the Brotherhood “We have to get her to Moira and quick - her pulse is weakening by the minute!” his eyes and stance easily betrayed the tension and worry he felt inside. Wanda tried using her hex powers to wake Jean up, but was soon forced to abandon her attempts “I can't get any reaction whatsoever. It's like she's shut off her mind completely!” Her father could only mutter "We better hurry then!" as he tried hard not to think about the possible consequences, if they didn't.
“What about Juggernaut and Magnum?” Pietro asked a bit uneasy. “They are right below, contained already.” was Magneto's totally indifferent reply, as all his attention was on the redhead. Still, he didn't miss Avalanche's exclamation “Oh, crap!” and Wanda's “My thoughts exactly!” but at this moment, he couldn't care less about what they were talking.
In fact, the two had just seen a strange, blue-haired mutant grab their targets in what looked like a telekinetic hold, and disappear with them, before they could even blink. “Now we're screwed big time!” was all Pietro could muster, signifying to his still unaware father what had happened.
Magneto, however, didn't give a damn about that right now, not with his own heart sinking progressively in fear, as he felt Phoenix plunge deeper into a coma; and only ordered harshly “Enough of that! Get back to Bayville! Now!” And unsurprisingly, no one dared to protest or argue with him...
--------------------------------------
What had in reality occurred was that, while the Master of magnetism had been preoccupied with Phoenix, Exodus used the last ounces of his strength to free himself and telekinetically bring the three other mutants to him. Sending each a telepathic blast so that they woke up, and broke the metal shackles; he got them in his teke's hold, and, gathering his final possible effort; transported them all to their main base, where he had deposited Mesmero earlier on.
Stumbling and completely exhausted, he let them drop unceremoniously to the ground on arrival and shot at the old man “Do not bother me right now - I can hardly move!” However, before the other psychic could even open his mouth to reply, Morph ran in, exclaiming “Where were you, people?! The process has already started - we could've been late! What took you so bloody long?!”
“It is not the time for explanations!” Mesmero interjected, turning to the blue-skinned mutant, who was trying to find his balance “Abyss, are you ready?” The one he had addressed smirked “More that I'll ever be! I already had gathered all we'd need, before these meddling people arrived, so don't worry yourself. Lead on!”
“Excellent.” was all the telepath uttered, before he gestured to the other two and Morph “Gentlemen, follow me!” Magnum and Juggernaut exchanged mystified glances, but sauntered after him nonetheless, while their messy-haired companion ran ahead impatiently.
The central chamber was exactly the same it had been five years ago, the Eye of Ages at its very centre, and one could easily make out the contours of its occupant's figure underneath its lids. The mutant called Abyss stepped closest to the device and lifted a hand to stop the others “You'd better stay back - my powers can sometimes easily get out of control and it won't do you any good to get sucked in my inner dimension.” Everyone but Mesmero, shot incredulous looks at each other at that statement, but still, obediently remained several feet away. Meanwhile, the lids of the sort-of sarcophagus in the centre had started opening slowly, and the old telepath ordered; a single word falling off his lips, yet, ringing in the stillness like a gunshot “Now!”
Abyss seemingly took the command, as his torso became more blurry by the second, till it had transformed into what looked like a portal woven of shadows, only its inside twisted violently, akin to a vortex. No sooner had the rest's jaws practically hit the floor, with Mesmero wearing an expression that clearly said `You haven't seen anything yet!'; that the dark pit grew gradually lighter, reaching a golden hue. Its direction suddenly reversed, and now, instead of threatening to swallow everything in its vicinity, it started emitting an immense amount of energy.
It flowed around them all, blending for a split second with their surroundings, before it gathered again right above the opening in the container and shot through in a single beam, spreading around the body inside and engulfing it for an instant. The void closed and Abyss collapsed on the floor, apparently from exhaustion, but none of the others paid that any heed, as they were all immersed in the result of his endeavour.
It took the energy mere couple of minutes to finally sink completely into its target, absorbed into every molecule of the seemingly dead body. However, it indeed proved to be only `seemingly' so, as, to the newcomers' absolute astonishment and Mesmero's delight, the man inside slightly flexed his left hand's fingers. And while the dark-skinned mutant and enhanced human were too petrified to move, the telepath rushed to the Dark One's side immediately, only to see Apocalypse's crimson eyes finally snap open and hear him say “Ah, at last, I have stepped into the dawn again!” A smile stretched his unnaturally-coloured lips “Just as I had promised…”