X-men Evolution Fan Fiction / X-Men Fan Fiction ❯ End of our Days ❯ Behind Our Souls' Closed Doors ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: I'm so, so sorry guys, for the horrendously long delay - but exams are the priority, as I'm sure you'd guess. Don't be angry at me, please? (makes puppy eyes) Special thanks to the reviewers - PinkPoison23 and Alley Alvers (Evil lobster girl), and to all readers of course! But without further ado, here's Chapter 6 - hope u like it! And don't forget to review - after all, feedback is my other means of living (besides food ;-D)!
Chapter 6: Behind Our Souls' Closed Doors
He more sensed than saw the stealthy shadow, as she crept beside him and fell into pace with his wheelchair, and without looking up he addressed her, a mirthless, tired smile playing on his lips “It didn't go that well, did it…?” The spectre next to him breathed out “And that's putting it mildly.” before proceeding in a highly livid tone “I will never understand you, Charles…Why don't we just silence them?! I gather, no one would blame us for preventing a full-blown civil war - which is exactly what's going to happen, if we don't interfere!”
Professor X stopped his wheelchair, only to give the annoyed woman, walking with him along one of the Senate's less used corridors, a look clearly designed to express all his disapproval for her `crude methods', as he liked to call them “You know it isn't this simple, Raven. I comprehend your position excellently, especially with all the groundless accusations attached to both you and the Brotherhood, not to mention the ones shot at Beast, but we cannot deal with Kelly and his followers in the manner you envisage.”
“Of course - this isn't `our way'.” Mystique bit out the last two words “Speak only for yourself, though - I barely refrained from going out of my hiding spot, and strangling the scum with my own two hands back in there. I'm actually surprised McCoy lasted this long against them, with all the rubbish they dared talk - they sure got me and the guys to pieces, before I knew it! All the easier, since I wasn't `officially' present, and they weren't even there at all. Damned cowards!”
Her gaze darkened, as she narrowed her eyes “They are extremists, Charles - no more, but what's worse, no less, either! We cannot simply stand by, trying to make them see reason, because none of these people will listen - you saw for yourself that it doesn't work. And didn't you hear Kelly - he wants a law, which practically makes mutants prisoners! `Simple registration' - as if!” she crossed her arms, frowning “You know, I wish I had put him instead of you in Juggernaut's tranquiliser tank, all those years ago - it could have scrambled his brains sufficiently, to give him just enough sense to finally leave us alone.”
And were he to be honest, Xavier too was growing uncertain that his methods were going to have the desired result, but he wasn't ready to admit defeat just yet. Nor did he really want to face the possibility, he had always fervently scorned - that perhaps, his dream was hopeless… He closed his eyes almost painfully, gritting his teeth “I will not give up, Raven - and I cannot either, no matter what it takes me. For each of their sacrifices, for their unwavering belief in me and my aims, throughout the years, I owe my children at least that much…”
Mystique stopped in her tracks, only to meet his gaze and see her own anguish mirrored in it. “I know what you mean.” she whispered pensively, a small smile touching her lips, but it was swept away by seriousness all too quickly “I consider though, that we should use some, more practical tactics to get what we want. And perhaps, you ought to finally accept the possibility, that your students too may have understood that your vision can never come to be.”
He smiled, his gaze distant “Perhaps…But I still know they will not quit, even in the face of such a truth.” before he went on, face sombre “Though, it's becoming increasingly harder for me to ask it from them - especially, when they have given so much already. That is why I didn't try to stop the first who left to lead a `normal' life or any of the ones that followed - because, I know way too well, that they all deserve such a chance…”
“Tell me about it…” Mystique's sigh was close to painful “I can see my own former charges secretly dreaming of a life, like that of everybody else. Although they will never show that outwardly, and they all love the thrill and the action that come with their current `jobs' too much, to give them up that easily.” She shook her head “But that doesn't mean I would accept that these days S.H.I.E.L.D. has practically come to depend almost entirely on the Brotherhood! And I know that stubborn jerk Fury will fight tooth and claw to keep them where they are, whatever their own wishes.”
“But that was the reason you came here too - to keep an eye on them.” she could almost sense the mirth in his voice. “Indeed. Still, you know just as well as me, that I will never own up to this particular fact.” Her gaze dimmed a bit “I guess, I sort of took it as a way to make up for all the mistakes I did with my own children…” She more felt than saw Xavier's reassuring hand on hers, as he added “They will forgive, Raven - time is all it takes…” And unwilling to dwell anymore on her most sore topic, or on the endlessly many ways by which his words could be proven false, Mystique gradually let the grave mood dissolve at least a bit, turning to another subject “So, my former `employer' isn't doing that bad in your camp either, huh?”
“He is not swayed even one bit by my vision, mind you; but actually, he's fitting in really well - I myself was initially quite surprised, I must admit. But then again, I have always known he would live up to the challenge - if he put his heart in it, so to speak. Though frankly, I cannot take the credit for this occurrence.” Mystique sported an amused half-smirk “Ah, yes, Wanda mentioned something of that effect. It was about time, if you ask me…”
She sniggered quietly “Though, I would have paid to see his face, when both his children share their latest 'exciting' news!” Xavier, however, didn't have time to comment, since they had finally arrived at their destination. Entering without a knock, they were unceremoniously greeted only by Nick Fury's turned back, which fact made Raven scowl - the man was absolutely incorrigible! And his effect on her, because of their joint work, was more than true to his name - infuriating.
“Any new developments?” the sole, impassive question irritated the shapeshifter even more, especially since she could easily discern the tremors in his voice. He wasn't unshakeable after all, but still poised as the unbreakable rock! Not that she wanted him to crack - perish the thought, as they needed him to keep his head, yet why did he have to be constantly all high and mighty, like he enjoyed being seen as almost inhumanly resilient?! Did he hate his humanity that much? But most of all, why did it have to bother her at all?
Because, I'm the one stuck working with the jerk, that's why! she thought frustrated, letting her form melt from the disguise she had used back into her usual self, while Xavier took on the task to speak with their host “Nothing new on the political horizon - they are still firmly convinced that Raven and the Brotherhood have a hand in the crisis. And they haven't taken their aim off our Secretary, either. Other than that, Psylocke and Angel must already be on their way to a place, which just might hold some answers as to those power-inhibitors.”
Though the telepath was well aware that Fury too was extremely cross because of the whole situation, the spy in fact betrayed no emotion whatsoever, only nodding in his usual stiff manner, before turning to Mystique “I just spoke with our main operations group. Apparently, things around and at the Mansion are fine for the time being, and since young Miss Grey has finally come round, I believe she will be able to resume the search immediately.”
“I wouldn't count on that - not if a certain Magneto has anything to say on the matter, if my sources are correct.” Raven murmured, with smug satisfaction, and the one-eyed man fixed her with his unmoving stare “And what, pray tell, was that, Darkholme?” This, however, proved to be the final straw for Mystique, whose nerves had been on edge nearly the whole evening already, and without so much as an intro, she shot at her associate “Sometimes I wonder what world do you live in, or in fact are you alive at all?! Jean isn't an instrument, Fury - she is a person, and as such should not be treated like being constantly at your, or anyone's disposal, for that matter! But, since when has that meant anything to you?!"
Now, having drawn herself to her full height, she had actually come to stand right in his face, as she went on just as angrily “And it is not the case just with her - you have been working the Brotherhood, as if there is no tomorrow for the past four years, and you still behave like they are supposed to be always at the Directorate's beck and call! Don't you think they want to have a life? Oh sorry, I forgot - how can they, when you do not! Well then, I suggest you finally get one!” her sarcasm wasn't just biting, but rather close to lethal, as its object visibly cringed, if only slightly, at the harshness of her icily-cold tirade. And seeing Nick Fury flinch, however little, wasn't something one got to witness every day.
To the psychic present however, it was more than evident that the secret agent had never seen his colleague in such a mood, but even Charles couldn't deny that the other man had had it coming. What was more curious though, was that he was practically gawking at Raven, as if he'd never seen her before in his life. In fact, he was taking in her angrily crossed arms, rigid stance, thinned lips, and the intensity blazing in her severely narrowed eyes, almost eagerly...
And despite his still indecipherable expression, the telepath could swear that behind the wonder in his single eye, there was slight amusement, beneath which swam indisputable admiration. Actually, the hardened man's lips started to slowly form a smile - very small, but nonetheless genuine; while, having finally regained his senses, he put in, completely off-topic, shocking both his companions beyond words “I've always know you had it in you, Darkholme. Was wondering though, when the walking volcano that you are, was actually going to erupt. But who knew, it would happen to be better than I've thought. Or that you could be so fetching when absolutely furious.”
Now it was the blue-skinned woman's turn to stare at him like an idiot - had Nick Fury just talked about something other than his work? And had that been a compliment he had given her?! She shook her head, trying to clear her mind - no, she was probably going through too much stress and was starting to imagine things; that had to be it. Because, even usually cool-headed, steadfast Mystique wasn't sure, if she knew what to do, if it were otherwise.
“Honestly, Fury, are doing this to me on purpose?” her tired, resigned voice nonetheless resonated through the room quite clearly. However, said man's smile didn't falter at all, as he replied “I simply wanted to see your full-blown temper, Darkholme. You've given me the earful quite a lot of times before, but never the complete treatment - I was just curious, that's all.” His almost innocent tone made Raven lose whatever patience she still had left, and she sighed exasperated, throwing her hands in the air “That's it! I am officially wholly baffled, as to how exactly you and me managed to work together at all, throughout these last four years, since you seem to insist on constantly driving me around the bend!”
“Actually, I was wondering the very same.” Xavier remarked, still trying to assess the whole occurrence in his own mind, and reaching the sole plausible conclusion several times in a row - especially with the whole ocean of tension, buzzing around his companions. It had very obviously been building for quite the time already, and now was so thick that one could virtually slice it through with a knife. Plus, the telepath - a smile creeping on his lips, was beginning to recognise its particular type. Only neither of the other two was probably going be any happy at all, when they realised that.
In the meantime however, Fury had reverted to his normal all-professional attitude, mixed with a bit of strain, as he remarked “At least, we have some idea, if not about where, in any case with whom our escapees are. What bothers me more, though, is that Apocalypse hasn't made any move at all yet.” This prompted Raven, who had also slid back into pro mode; to finally get down to scanning through the newest info the X-Men had sent.
One file in particular grasped her attention, and on opening it, her gaze went wide with shock, as she gasped, thankfully unheard by the others. “It can't be… Nils...alive…?” she muttered under her breath, her voice choked by a mixture of elation and pain, but then she sharply remembered herself, and offered aloud to the other two “Perhaps, he's waiting for something - ha has stayed put for quite the time now, and I doubt he will want to ruin his master plan by being too impatient.” cynicism liberally swam in her last words.
Fury's eyebrows knit together in contemplation, as he added “I spoke with Magneto as well, when I called the Brotherhood, and though Apocalypse seems to have hidden himself quite well this time around, the X-Men have all their resources already mobilised, doing everything they can to find him. But oddly, our metal-wielder did not seem at all in the mood to discuss the issue, or anything else in fact. For reasons beyond my knowledge.” which meant, Fury hadn't had the guts to ask him about these - a fact, Raven noted more than pleased, since she too loved torturing him, as much as he seemingly adored pestering her.
“Still, Xavier, you are a psychic - what is your guess?” the top S.H.I.E.L.D. agent turned to the other man, whose brow furrowed in a sign of concern “As good as yours, I'm afraid; for, if there is anyone on this planet, who may have a clue as to His thoughts, it is most certainly not me...” He paused for a brief moment, before continuing, his voice mixed with slight resign “However, you both may have been right, all along - there isn't much we can do by debates; apparently, our strength lies in action again. It helped before, but if we cannot convince them through it now, I don't know what else we can possibly employ!”
In that same moment, the door opened hastily and a blue, furry blur entered in what seemed more than just a hurry. “Forgive my lateness!” Secretary of Mutant Affairs Hank McCoy apologised courteously to the others “I barely managed to disentangle myself from all the bureaucrats - and that debate was more than exhausting. Especially, considering we finished exactly where we started, much to my chagrin-” But Fury's curt stare cut him off abruptly and Hank acknowledged “Of course - pardon me.” before carrying on “It seems, that some of Edward Kelly's closest associates have not been seen much, or at all, lately - particularly, one certain Henry Gyrich, from the National Security Agency.” He halted when he saw the almost shocked expression Xavier wore at this news, and asked “What is it, Professor?”
“Gyrich is the one, Warren and Betsy are tracking down!” said man exclaimed, while Fury put in musingly “Kelly's right-hand man… Looks like my suspicions were true, he's behind that accursed project. Just had to be stirring up trouble - damned politicians!” Beast, however, shook his head “There is no evidence of Senator Kelly being involved with the anti-power collars, or having any knowledge about them at all.”
“I can bet you anything, he is in on the whole mess!” Mystique snarled “He is more than able to stoop that low - we have all seen that before. Not to mention, that he hates us enough to start something like this, or even worse.” In that moment though, Fury's com-link went on, and he exchanged a few words with one of his subordinates, before he turned it off and said darkly “I think, our situation just heated up even more.” the Head of S.H.I.E.L.D. bit his lip, his voice even, but unable to hide the weariness “Seeing as to how I, for my part, am now also missing a Bolivar Trask.” And this alone made all three mutants practically gape at him.
“I thought, we had him under constant surveillance - when did he manage to disappear?!” Mystique finally found her voice, while Hank was still shaking his head incredulous. “Apparently, he knows us too well - and he used that, and his scientific knowledge, to vanish undetected.” Fury spat through gritted teeth. “Simply great!” was all Beast could muster, but it nonetheless expressed everyone present's sentiments about the matter, with perfect accuracy. Mystique's lips grew thinner by the second “I agree with the action bit from earlier, Charles.” she said “But to get anyone to use it against, we have to find them first - especially, since they all keep disappearing lately."
Xavier sighed tiredly “I should have seen this coming…” before he snapped out - determined mode fully in place “Let us deal with those collars first, I say - it seems, we might have a big enough problem possibly forming behind them alone, even without Apocalypse. And who knows what else might spring out of this bush. Fury,” he turned to the one-eyed spy “can you and Raven try finding Trask's whereabouts? I believe, you know him better than any of the rest of us.” The agent only nodded, glancing at Mystique with what seemed to the others' shock like a grin “Looks like we have some work to do, Darkholme - at least it will be a change from the whole inaction syndrome, that's been plaguing me lately.” And the shapeshifter could hardly suppress a smirk, as she couldn't agree more with him. Well, she supposed, there was, after all, a first time for everything.
“Hank, I will leave the dialogue game to you.” Xavier went on “It seems, there is nothing further that I can do here, and my students need me more - I have wasted enough time in fruitless efforts.” His long-time friend smiled in accord, as he added “I see your reasoning, Charles - and I shall try my best.” Shaking the Secretary's hand, the telepath addressed the other two “I must leave, I'm afraid - though, I have one more meeting, before I return.” his voice had acquired a distant quality “One, that I hope would prove a bit more productive…
“Still, if any of you need help with the situation here, do not hesitate to call us. And don't worry,” he added for Raven's particular benefit “I will keep the Brotherhood with us, and out of the spotlight, for however long it is needed - something, I am more than sure, they will enjoy. Besides, you and Hank both know you are more than welcome to join them, whenever you feel the need.” Mystique simply nodded, her gaze earnest, but her mind couldn't help running towards something else entirely…
------------------------------------------
Today's debate in the Senate went again behind closed doors. Sources, who have requested to remain anonymous, disclosed earlier on that the issue is once more centred on the mutant problem. Based on latest information, at least two, very dangerous mutant prisoners have escaped a high-security, detention facility, allegedly with the help of fellow mutants from inside the structure. The president has been called to act on this outrageous breach in national security, with additional measures-” But before the reporter could finish, Wanda had snatched the remote angrily and changed the channel. “I can't believe the press already got their paws on this - it was supposed to be bloody top-secret! Now everyone's gonna be on our backs again.” she muttered aggravated “I'm sick of that crap!”
Jean, who was lounging on the kitchen window-seat too, in an attempt to relax a bit, remarked just as crossly “I see what you mean. Nothing's proven yet, but they've already launched on us like vultures! Though, it's hardly a coincidence - I'd bet Kelly, or someone from his circle, deliberately leaked it to the media.” She pursed her lips in a gesture of absolute repulsion “And if I didn't respect the Professor that much, I'd beat the crap out of these guys myself - or, alternatively, meddle with their brains till they leave us in peace, 'cause I, for my part, am freaking tired of mutants being the easy prey!”
Wanda smirked “And I'd help you!” before sighing wearily “But me and the guys better not show our noses outside the grounds; or the least that can happen to us is we'd get mobbed by some anti-mutant extremists.” She gritted her teeth in annoyance, prior to asking the red-haired woman “By the way, have you seen the men?” Jean grinned “Already having a Pyro-withdrawal, Wanda?” before shaking her head “He's in the gym with Logan and Neal, trying to exhaust themselves silly. Erik's fiddling with something in the Danger Room system again, and Lance and Kurt are checking all global reports just in case something comes up.”
“No need to look for my brother, though.” Wanda put in, a slight frown appearing on her features “Todd and Fred dragged him off to Rec to watch the news - after they plundered the kitchen.” The telepath groaned in frustration “I wish, I could at least do something else, besides using all the guys as sparring partners to spend all my energy on, 'cause I'm getting progressively bored of normal exercise. Plus, my powers are boiling to the point, I'm becoming restless enough to blow something up!” She frowned “And no thanks to your dear father, Wanda - the nerve of him!” before a sigh escaped her lips “I'm aware he can be a real stubborn bastard, when he wants to be, I just never thought it'll be over something so idiotic!
And indeed, to the fiery redhead, the last conceivable thing a reasonable man like Magneto would've ever done, was outright ban her from any employment of her powers - especially for work. He had actually gone so far as to block her access to the main computer, and change the entry codes to Cerebro, the Danger Room and Control. What was worse though, Jean couldn't override his blocks without the whole system going busted, and upon uncovering this, she had, thankfully, managed to calm down her blazing fury, before it grew enough to turn the Mansion into a pile of smoking ruins. Nevertheless, that hadn't changed the fact that she had ended up with no other choice, but to follow his `no use whatsoever' condition, if she truly wanted to get the damned entry passes any time soon. And, to top it all, he had promised to utilise their newly-opened link to catch her in the act, if she attempted to cheat.
However, Jean couldn't escape the nagging feeling that the silver-haired mutant's actions had also been prompted, on a secondary level, by his desire to keep secret, at least for the time being, a certain project, hints of whose existence she had managed to get through their bond. And thus, in addition to being horrendously restless, she had suddenly found herself infinitely curious, as to what exactly he was working on so much - an occurrence, that wasn't particularly helpful for her, already quite snappy, nerves.
Just then, Amanda, who had been concentrated on preparing the dinner, offered “But you're a psychic - can't you take what you need, out of his mind?” However, Jean's frown appeared again, while she explained, a bit exasperated “That's the thing - I can't! Our connection gives him enough mental strength and skill to block that particular info from me. And he knows that taking it out by force is the only other way to dig it up, which I won't use, if I really want to get the codes after `several days' only.”
The Scarlet Witch though, put a reassuring hand on Phoenix's shoulder “Don't take it that bad! He cares about you, and doesn't want you to work yourself too much, so soon after you pulled through that evolution. Plus, it's not for that extensive a period - as pig-headed as he might be, even he's aware no one can keep you away from your favourite means to blow off steam, for more than a couple of days.” And, with her lips slowly quirking into a grin of her own, the telepath finally conceded “I know he's only trying to help…But I hope, he'll come to his senses, before I decide to subject him to torture - and I don't need my powers for that.”
During their whole conversation, however, the newest, starkly-blond addition to the Mansion's crew had eyed the other three confusedly, still a bit in the dark as to the subject. That is, until it finally registered with her, and she stared at Jean, gaze wide “I know this might sound funny, but were you just talking about Wanda's father - as in Wanda's father?” And Phoenix bit out, half-humorously “The one and only!” as the blonde added “Wow, he musta really ticked you off! You need to loosen up, all of you guys really do. And I know just the thing to escape that gloomy air, that's taken over your place - a full-blown girls' night out! No boyfriends, no dwelling on problems, and definitely no work.”
Wanda rolled her eyes - there sure was nothing like Tabby Smith, or as everybody now knew, Pietro's official girlfriend. But, true to his usual, calm demeanour, Magneto hadn't even blinked at this news. Though, his daughter shouldn't have been surprised at his reaction herself - after all, as he had said, that was her brother they were talking about. And when it came to the speedster, everyone, especially his family, knew they could safely expect absolutely anything - even Tabby. “I reckon, we gotta get some sleep first, Boom - I dunno for you, but I feel dead.” the black-haired woman replied yawning, as she watched Kurt's fiancée move around the kitchen with considerable skill.
Professor X had meant for both mother and daughter to remain in the Mansion on arrival, but Margali Sefton had insisted they moved in their old house - which proved to be in quite good state. Amanda, however, had put her foot down more than firmly, that she was staying with her man - who had no objections whatsoever at that, and her mother had had no other choice, but to leave her head-strong daughter with Bayville's resident mutants.
It had taken the younger Sefton simply a couple of days to fit in, since she had been an unofficial `one of them', for quite the time now. And apparently, Amanda was a absolute fan in that old saying that a man's love passed through his stomach, as she had practically taken charge of the meals ever since her arrival. That proved to be Kurt's greatest delight, since it had still been his turn to cook, and his girl had covered his horrible lack of abilities in the kitchen field, without even realising it. “I'd say we have something of the sort, but not right away.” the exotic brunette suggested, still focused on her task, and Jean nodded “Yeah…we have so many other things to work on. Betsy called only to tell me she and Warren were on the move to this Genosha-island, following one of Kelly's men no less, so we must be ready in case something comes up there. Plus, with Erik not letting me use my powers, I guess we'll still remain nowhere with our prime objective.”
“I know...we've checked everything - all places He might possibly be, but it's as if he's disappeared into thin air!” Wanda commented, as the redhead was lost in her musings again, only to snap out of it almost immediately “Oh, trust me, he's still here, and I might have an inkling as to why he's waiting. And I'd be able to find out this, and where he is - without that much effort in fact, if only our stubborn, field co-commander hadn't put me on a forced rest...
“By the way,” Jean turned to Pietro's sister, with a grin “how come St John escaped any serious bodily harm, for daring to even be near you, Wanda? Erik's really protective, when it comes to those he cares about…” Said woman's smirk mirrored the redhead's “I guess father did want to inflict quite the damage on my man initially, though he didn't show it. And he seems to have accepted our relationship - at least, he hasn't made any attempts on John's life or sanity, so far. But you should've seen his face, when I told him.” she snickered delighted “Too bad I didn't bring my camera!” Her grin, however, widened even more “And speaking of my dad, he sure shows that hidden, caring side of his quite a lot round you, Jean - and I don't mean only his current `no work' policy... Plus, the grapevine says, that a certain telepath hasn't slept in her rooms for almost a week now.”
The green-eyed woman instantly knew what Wanda was referring to, and decided to avert any suspicions, as she herself didn't feel like mulling over it now “Now, don't make it such a big thing! We're close, that's true - but positively not in the way you're thinking about.” Yet, judging by their raised eyebrows, none of the others were truly buying her words, and Boom-Boom still had a suspicious, mischievous glint sparkling in her blue eyes. “Do I sense something more going on here?” she teased good-naturedly “And with Magneto?! Wow - you seem to have a huge thing for older men, and big age differences, girl!”
Phoenix had no intention of giving up yet, though “I swear, you're worse than the men - get your heads out of the gutter, you lot! It isn't this way between us…” which made Wanda wink at her “Yeah, yeah - that's what they all say…when they're in denial!” Tabby, however, quirked a humorous eyebrow at the witch “Been there - done that, huh?” The black-haired woman mock-scowled “You mean me - when was I in denial?!” but the blonde didn't quit “Seriously, Scarlet, when it came to poor Pyro, you were worse even than your dimwit of a twin was with me - though, thank goodness, you came round fairly quickly!”
And the Scarlet Witch sighed exasperated, hating the fact that for once, Boom-Boom was right - she had indeed been initially quite dismissive, towards John's affections. But he had withstood all her verbal (and hexing) abuse, tears and fits with a patience to be commended for, and still comforted her after each outburst, despite his own state, which was never too good in these cases. And it had been times like these, which had gently pushed each of them to slowly open up, and let the other into their deepest world. She had showed him there could be other things, just as worth living for, beside the fire he so adored; he had taught her to forgive and move on, to finally be free. And for that, like for everything else, she could safely say she loved him…and was more than sure he returned it…
Tabby, however, hadn't forgotten her original idea at all “We'd better have our night out, as soon as Betsy's back in the fold!” before she turned back to Phoenix, a roguish smile playing on her lips “So that we can fish out everything about that newest of the Mansion's relationships.” Amanda, realising it would be no use trying to deter the blonde, only shook her head in resignation - same old Tabby. Said young woman though, read her expression clearly and smiled, patting her back amiably “It's okay, Amanda - you're gonna get used to me again, doncha worry! See, guys,” she turned to the others “I was right - we need to distract ourselves a bit, till we get to Mandy's bachelorette party, that is. Gosh, I can't wait to see you getting hitched, girl - `specially, since I ain't ready to sacrifice myself to that cause, yet.”
“Though, you definitely should be careful with Fuzzy's cooking - it kinda…falls short of edible, most of the time.” Jean added, laughing, and Amanda looked at them with a perfect expression of shock on her beautiful face “So, that's why he said nothing, when I offered to do it…” she cast an appalled look at her apron and the spoon she held, before throwing them both away, a fierce scowl creasing her features “And I've been playing right in his hands! But, oh, just wait till I get you tonight, Kurt; he'll see who he's dealing with!”
The other three's good-natured laughter met her outburst, and Tabby put in for the whole group “That's the way, Amanda - there's still hope for you!” before she added in a reminiscent tone “Though, I must admit, I miss Remy's cooking quite a lot - he sure knew his stuff.” to which Jean commented jokily “Well, I'm not surprised, seeing as to how we practically couldn't kick him out of the kitchen, most of the time.” Amanda chuckled “I can't deny - his antics were unique. Remember guys, when he wanted to get us all into poker, but then refused to play with you, Jean, or with Bess, just because you're telepaths.” Wanda smirked at that “Oh, we all knew better - ol' Remy's simply a very sour loser, when it comes to his favourite game, and our psychics plain kicked his ass! No wonder, though,” she nodded to the redhead “you do have the best poker face around.”
The telepath could only roll her eyes, before she muttered to Wanda “I think, I'll have a round with Erik's car - mine still needs a good wash. Not to mention, I've always been a secret sucker for high speed, and” her emerald eyes flickered with mischief “he owes me for that latest, ingenious idea of his.” The black-haired woman looked at her sulkily “I don't get it - how come he lets you drive it, but not his own kids?!” Jean chuckled “Well, I guess he's a true believer in that phrase `Never give your car to anyone to whom you've given birth.'.”
Wanda scowled “I agree `bout Pietro - he can trash it just as easily as he ties his shoes, but that doesn't hold about me!” Just then, Tabby chimed in, surprised “So, that's who the black baby in the garage belongs to! Figures, though, all classy and sleek - fits its owner perfectly…” her expression had now melted into a dreamy look, and Wanda frowned at her “Don't even think about it, Boom! Unless you want my dear brother to be a widower, before he's even got to getting married - dad doesn't play nice at all, when you cross him.”
The blonde, however, winked at her “Just like Fiery here - the perfect match, if you ask me. Which, I guess, also explains why he's still alive, after that stunt with the codes...” before protesting fervently “Hey, it didn't even occur to me to joyride in his car! And I wouldn't dare, anyway - I know better than to mess with your old man, this ain't Lance, after all!”
And mere moments later, as they made their way to the kitchen, the guys felt their inner hope soar, when they clearly caught the rich, melodic laughter of four young women, accompanied suspiciously by the smell of what could be nothing else, but seriously burned food…
----------------------------------------
Divided…it seemed like that single, inevitable word was cursed to mar her life forever. For, even though not meant about her self, it nonetheless made Jean's whole being constrict with a surge of pain so brutal, that she suddenly couldn't focus or even breathe. She may have made up her mind as to her own heart, but when it came to the fate of all she held dear, the choice still stood - two worlds, two futures, two roads. And their incarnations were just way too real, too inescapably absorbing, for her to ever be able to exorcise them from her mind…
Twilight fighting radiance, both - warm and soothing, intensely-strong and loving, in equally great measure, yet the latter also, for some reason, had a strange shadowy quality to itself… The eternity of the deepest darkness of the Universe, with the myriad of stars burning through it like pieces of hope scattered over her way home, struggling in a deadly battle with the infinitely azure, earthen heavens… For, there could be no peace - not while she still wasn't ready to decide. But she knew that ultimately, when the time for it came, she'd be forced to choose, to finally break the never-ending, violent clash they were locked in …
However, the most vivid of the visions haunting her, was ironically also the sole, which held no conflict, but harmony - herself as she was now, looking straight into what seemed like the purest, crystal surface. The same, which, akin to a giant, unearthly mirror, returned the almost tangible reflection of a huge, flaming raptor, which oddly enough, appeared to be smiling at her… And she couldn't help but return it, as she knew the meaning behind it - the rift between her older and present halves had almost disappeared for good. Nearly all her memories were now back, and had merged with her conscious self to the point, that they at last, truly felt like her own. Only one more bout like this was needed, and she'd be finally whole…
But, not knowing when was slowly killing her…And if it weren't for the one man, who sole realised the true extent of what she was going through, she was sure to have gone mad by now. Though, not anymore - her powers and memories, her past and true self were no longer frightening, because here and now, she had him…Yet, to her own chagrin, she was forced to move her thoughts from him, instead concentrating them on the other one she had come for.
“Funny - that's the last place in the whole Mansion, where I'd ever thought, I'd find you of all people…You're late for the meeting!” the amiable notes in her voice reached him easily, especially with his heightened senses, and he had to clench his eyes shut not to fall captive to the raw despair they invoked in him. For, he couldn't bear any longer the vicious truth, that she wouldn't see him the way he did her; not again, and certainly not with everything that had been happening around them of late…
Yah didn' seem like leavin' it lately, Red.” was his curt reply, much moodier than he had intended “Ever since our latest addition.” he stressed that particular word with such venom, that Jean whirled towards him, a frown starting to form on her flawless features. Logan however, calmed her fears down, as he added on a much lighter note “Yah ain't there even for our Saturday night beer anymore.” She smiled at him apologetically, putting a soothing hand on his shoulder “Sorry, I missed last time - I was a bit unconscious, you know.”
Her grin quickly faded though, when he turned and she saw the look in his eyes “But, I've been coming here long before Erik arrived, Logan. Just like I've been longing for the time when I'd be able to freely roam the stars again, ever since I first started to awaken into my whole self - only, you never noticed just how deep it goes…” and the harsh reality of her words twisted in him, akin to the force of his own claws.
But it was her use of the other man's first name, which ticked off again the murderous thoughts of old relating to their former adversary. He still managed to contain himself, yet not without some difficulty “I know, I was way too preoccupied with Rogue an' all she'd been goin' through then, darlin', but when we were together, and even `fore that, yah know I always tried tah give yah what yah needed, though I had a hard time figurin' out what that is.” His voice shook with ill-restrained ache “And how much I managed tah do it - that's a different story…” Jean raised an eyebrow “That's not what I meant, and you know it... And besides, I managed well enough on my own, back then.”
It took the feral mutant a whole minute to register that there was no sarcasm in her words at all - only reminiscence and acceptance, and that simple fact made his gut contract with even more pain “I shoulda been there fer yah, Jeannie - whether with yahr powers, or yahr turmoil. Hell, I couldn' e'en make us last. But why did we haftah end like this, Red, when we still had time? I thought that what I feel fer yah at least counted fer somethin'…”
She felt her own insides tighten just as painfully, as his voice had come out “It wasn't you, Logan…it never was…” Yet, the inadvertent double meaning behind her words, thankfully remained only hers, as she went on “You did what you could - you can't expect yourself to be able to fulfil something, which perhaps, no living man can. And if there's anyone to blame for putting you through all this, it's me… I shouldn't have given you false hopes about us - it wasn't fair.” He however, caught her retreating form in his strong arms, just as she was about to escape his intended embrace “Look, darlin', I may be miserable, but yah ain't responsible fer that - it's all my doing, `cause I can't make myself forget. `Cause, I couldn' let yah go…”
Jean wriggled herself gently, but firmly, out of his hold, yet he still kept on coming closer to her, until she was sort-of trapped between his bulky form and the balcony's wall. “Logan…” she pleaded with him, hoping that he wouldn't make it harder than it already was - especially for himself. Though, he didn't notice the subtle hints in her tone, his mind solely, completely on her enthralling presence. “I still love yah, Jeannie…” a confession, the gruff Wolverine would never let the rest of the world hear - a phrase, whose full meaning was always intended only for the red-haired woman “I ne'er stopped… It's so much stronger than me - and yah know, there ain't many things on that list. And I regret nothin', darling' - `cept not fightin' harder tah keep yah with me. But there's still time, and if yah let me…”
And before she knew what exactly was happening, his lips were on hers, in a deep, demanding, almost desperate kiss, which had gathered all his pent-up passion, love and pain. An old, reassuringly-familiar sensation had made her respond…yet only for a spilt second, that lasted way too little for him. Because then, the memory of how close her lips had been with the ones, which she was now suddenly aware, she really wanted; made her draw back sharply. His eyes shot open, attempting to drown in hers; but astounded, they met a seemingly impenetrable barrier - one, which suspiciously looked like a wall of silver and onyx...
And that finally made him snap, as he let out an anguished growl, and Jean, eyes closed, heard a ripping sound next to herself, only to open her gaze and see he had driven his claws through the wall beside her. She gently took his right hand, slowly pulling the blades out of the concrete, and he unexpectedly could do nothing more than retract them. “I'm not the girl you remember from my schooldays, Logan, or even the same woman you claim to love - and I'm not sure, you'd ever understand who I really am. Sometimes, I'm not certain, even I will…” she added with slight mirth, yet it quickly died away “A lot's changed - a lot of time's passed, there're too many things standing between us…”
She truly felt so distant now, that he was suddenly afraid she'd disappear; so he couldn't stop himself from taking her hand, and surprisingly enough, she allowed it “I gotta be blind not tah see yah are different, Red. It's like yah ain't someone of this world anymore, but a soul stranded on it, struggling tah be free of its chains and still unable tah, though close enough. I don't really get it, but I'm willing tah listen, if yah try tah explain - I always was. Though, yah never came tah anyone else, till he arrived... Why, Red? Why him…?” And if she were to be honest, she herself didn't have a full answer yet - not even for her own personal benefit.
Still, Jean couldn't hold back what she did know - at least, she hoped it just might finally set him free “He's the only one, who didn't need an explanation, Logan. All of you, on the other hand, I could try to talk to for hours on end, and I still wouldn't be sure you'd truly understand - because, it doesn't depend on normal perceptions, but on something that can hardly be put into words… And Erik simply happens to be the one, in whom it exists. The sole, who can, and does see that this” she gazed at the starlit sky “isn't merely a heartfelt desire, but a living, integral part of me, that the Universe and I belong to each other in ways entwined in its very fabric. Though, even I don't know how come he was able to discern it…” which was indeed baffling to her a bit. For, if there was anyone in the whole of Creation, who could be this way towards her, it would be a man, who was now irreparably gone…
“And I won't ask either of you to not fight - I know you both too well for any such request; but at least, don't kill each other…” He sighed bitterly, and the sheer depth of the pain contained in this simple action wasn't lost to Phoenix. She wished to somehow take his ache away, but still, she couldn't change the way things were now, not when she was slowly realising that she wanted them to remain thus, at least when it came to her own feelings.
However, as the acrid taste of comprehension finally settled languidly like poison in his veins, even his honesty still couldn't hide the ache “I'll restrain myself, if that's yahr choice - I swear tah yah. But it hurts e'en more tah see that only he's able tah reach the real yah, that it took him, fer life tah be truly breathed back into yahr soul. And I couldn' - no matter how hard I tried. I could ne'er truly touch the whole of yah, `cause I didn't understand…” The sheer intensity of the hurt in his voice felt like it was going to down her, but she didn't lose her resolve, as she added “We better go - the meeting's about to start.”
“Do yah love him?” that sudden, frank phrase falling off his lips, seemingly having gathered all the agony in existence, however threw her totally off balance, and Jean stared at him, unable to process immediately what he had asked. Yet, his simple question had abruptly hurled her into a veritable whirlpool of thoughts, that she hadn't given a good consideration to so far at all, though perhaps it was high time for that...
Still, he awaited an answer now, and even if she herself didn't have one, she decided on the truth “I don't know how exactly to describe what we have - it's complex and deep, running on many levels, some of which, even we both don't comprehend completely yet. A bond, which, I can somehow feel, connects our very essences, despite boundaries and distance, regardless of the powers and laws of the Universe…” His fists were clenched, eyes shut tightly, as he was afraid to look reality in the face. Yet, her words had spoken clearly enough.
Her voice had been so real, way too real in fact, for him to be able to bear the verdict entwined in it. And as his heart was falling to bits for the umpteenth time, a choking sob escaped his lips ever so slightly. He looked longingly at the door, where she had just disappeared, before turning his eyes away, only to let them bore for the first time deep into the night sky, whispering “If only, I could finally forget…” There was no shooting star to answer his plea, but what he didn't know, was that his longing had, nonetheless, been heard. Nor was he aware, that in the near future, he was going to experience first-hand the truth behind that old saying `Be careful what you wish for, as it just might happen.'…
Fleeing her sanctuary may have freed her from witnessing his pain, but it didn't save Jean from his inescapable question. For, it was now burned akin to a brand in her mind, erasing with almost no effort her visions from before, making her completely oblivious to the world around her, or even to where she was at the moment…
Do yah love him?” … Did she, indeed? What was the name of the bond they shared? But then again, did it actually need one - was it necessary to attach it a label…? And she knew that giving it a tag wasn't going to change anything - it was still as real as could be, and as strong. Yet, this simple answer, despite its undeniable truth, wasn't able to obliterate that single phrase persecuting her like a nightmare…“Do yah love him?”
I can't…I can't let myself live the future, before I've finished the past! Not yet…Not yet…because, she knew the consequences way too well, and they only spelled more pain… And so deep was she in her musings, that she failed to notice their prime object, just before she was going to collide with him. At least, not until she realised, she was encircled by a comfortingly-protective pair of masculine arms.
In fact, Erik had gone to find her, as she too was running a bit late, and though each respected the privacy of the other's mind, the sentiments coursing through their link hadn't been pleasant at all, causing him to understandably grow worried about her. He was immensely grateful for that connection, if truth be told - especially, as it turned out that it helped them find each other, wherever they might be, or feel the other's state with astounding precision and detail. Not to forget, he thought, smiling to himself, that it had also happened to be the best way to make sure, that she had kept their deal to rest enough. And that his surprise for her remained exactly that - or his whole idea, about the way he'd reveal it, would've flopped.
Thank goodness, the project was coming great so far - given that he spent the majority of his spare time on it. At least, he hoped it would be worth all the moments he'd missed with Jean as a result. And her destructive temper, which, though she hadn't let it out on him or anyone else, he'd seen boiling under the surface. Nonetheless, he'd sworn he was going to make it up to her with this venture, give her back her final missing part, at least for awhile. And perhaps, at last succeed in taking his mind away from what had started plaguing him recently…
Because, he had come to realise, that their link wasn't simply a normal psychic one - that the night of her awakening had bonded them on a lot more profound level, than just their minds. He had sensed it then…and hoped with every piece of his self, that she had as well… Plus, ever since then, the whole bundle of newly-discovered feelings, running almost wildly in him, had wound and intertwined together, forming another powerful thread, that now connected him to her just as irrevocably. And through its centre shot, akin to a steely cord, the strongest of these - an emotion, whose name he had perhaps forgotten. Yet, it was the same, because of which, he had found himself increasingly less able to refrain from overstepping the boundaries of friendship, and succumbing to its incessant, irresistible pulls. He could see, though, that she was, very probably, far from ready for anything more than what they already had, and he was never going to pressure her, whatever his own wishes.
But, he still found it breathtakingly hard to not follow his deepest longing and lose himself completely to these emotions. Especially, since he now held her in his arms every night - an occurrence he had initiated, but which, to his intense delight, she relished in equally as much. But even with these new turmoils of his, he knew he wouldn't have it any other way - though, he was now infinitely grateful for all the years of mastering his reactions. Still, he was aware he'd someday have to do act on it, had to let her know, at least - but it was her possible answer to such a confession, that he realised, was going to be impossibly hard to face…
Himself lost in his own mind, Erik had, however, felt her coming closer. Yet, the speed she'd been moving at, was close to lightning, and by the looks of it, she wasn't paying much attention to where she went. He had, thankfully, been alert though, and he'd caught her before she ran into him, not letting any damage befall her. Steadying her gently, his breath tickled her skin, as his lips caressed her forehead lightly “There you are… I went to find you, when you didn't come with our late member.” He didn't even bother hiding the care in his voice anymore - especially not when with her alone “You alright, Flare? Seemed quite upset…”
Jean, who had immediately relaxed against his chest, eyes closed and arms going round his solid back almost instinctively; now tensed slightly “I…I'm fine, don't worry - I was on my way back to Control, actually. Logan'll probably come down too, any minute now.” The silver-haired mutant, however, had noticed her well-masked anxiety, as well as the strain in her voice, when she'd mentioned the Canadian, and he had instantly realised what she needed “I won't pressure you to tell me what it is - I can see you're not ready yet…” before adding in a much lighter tone, the start of a grin playing on his lips “But, you are going to talk tonight!”
He more felt than saw her own smile at that, as he held her close, while they both walked to their meeting. Unbeknownst to him though, his young companion had finally managed to chase away that lingering unease, prompted by her one-time lover's query, only to realise that its answer had been there the whole time. And all she had to do was take it, when she sensed herself prepared - when she finally felt complete, even if she wasn't truly such yet…
-------------------------------------------
“They are all in the main control room, my Lord.” the reverent tone of the old psychic strangely felt like the most unpleasant sound to the mutant, he was addressing. Nonetheless, he replied evenly, letting his irritation drip slightly in his voice “I expected no less, Mesmero - dismissed!” And his subordinate withdrew hastily, as he didn't need to be a telepath to discern his Master wasn't in the best of moods.
Truth be told, he was nowhere near the frame of mind to be facing the ragtag group that comprised his followers, not that soon after his awakening, at least. But it was now or never so to speak, as it was necessary to start with the preparations for his ultimate plans. Plus, he had just sensed a development, which was possibly going to benefit his scheme. Still, subconsciously, his right hand rubbed his temple - by the powers of Creation, did he need a good, long relaxation, or in any case, a bit more energy! But he wouldn't get it yet - not when so many things remained to be done.
He was surprised Phoenix hadn't tried to find him yet, seeing that she was already awake and, thank the twilight, alright and unharmed. In fact, he had felt her come out of the coma, a whole flood of relief washing over him at the sensation, and he had attempted to reach her again. But he had been hardly able to overcome the shock, when his psyche had been met by an almost impenetrable, protective barrier, which however, was not of his Eternal Flame's making. And then, another presence, that had felt vaguely familiar, had taken over, pushing his own away with considerable might, that spelled only one - whoever this mutant was, for, it definitely was one; his mind possessed great power. A man, whose signature still tugged at the immortal mutant's memories, searching them relentlessly for his identity. He actually seemed to share a strong, newly-formed bond with Phoenix - one, that oddly enough, reminded the Dark One of the connection he still had with her, despite her efforts to sever it…
And he had had to grit his teeth to the point of breaking, as he'd finally let the strange occurrence's full meaning sink in. There was another - a powerful, extremely persistent man, who too was aspiring for the same as Apocalypse, when it came to the fiery woman. Though, this other wasn't himself aware of it yet - something, the Egyptian was determined to not let his rival realise, before it was too late. And he had to find and eliminate him as quickly as possible, preferably in the most painful way, the Dark Lord could imagine...
As he finally arrived at, and entered the control room, predictably all of them, dropped to one knee, even if grudgingly in the case of Morph and Juggernaut, since neither was particularly receptive of authority. Still, there was no opposition, none of them had any intention to stir trouble to anyone else, but the X-Men - and that was precisely what Apocalypse wanted. Though admittedly, their diverse motives, and in some cases questionable loyalties, could pose a problem in the long run. But he wasn't particularly concerned about that currently, not when he knew he would be able to entice them enough, to ensure their full obedience to his every whim. After all, promises of power and fulfilled desires always worked - even for the bunch of mutants, presently kneeling before him.
“The time has finally come, to take the next step towards our ultimate goal.” surprisingly, every single one was listening more than carefully. “Some of you have joined me for particular reasons,” his gaze swept over Marco and Magnum specifically, but didn't miss Abyss either, albeit sideways only “and let me assure you, that all your expectations shall be met. But, for that, I must firstly be convinced of what you can offer me in turn - for, nothing comes free, as, I am certain, all of you know already.”
Magnum and Abyss threw him mildly amused glances at that statement, while Morph's clearly displayed fright, even if just slightly. However, none of them faltered from their positions - a sure sign they were ready to pay their price, whatever it was the Dark One demanded of them. And as if on cue, he fixed them with his unwavering, scarlet gaze again “I do not ask for much, though…” his eyes seemed to penetrate to the depths of every one of his followers, who couldn't help cringing a bit from the experience “Only your services…And your loyalty.” Thankfully for him, no one noticed Exodus shut his eyes at this for a split second, before he remembered himself, and what was expected of him.
“You have mine, my Lord…unquestionably.” he replied respectfully, perfectly aware of the full consequences, yet he didn't waiver at all - despite the fact that, it already cost him a great deal. At least, this way he was still going to be able to remain close to his impossible vision, although again, only from the biggest of distances… The Dark One though, was lost into his own musings for a brief moment, which, however, proved long enough for him to miss this additional thought of his chief follower. Nonetheless, he acknowledged his lieutenant's vow with a brief nod, before turning to the rest, his gaze bypassing Mesmero as it went - after all, the old telepath was as devoted to his service as could possibly be.
The others too were starting to give out vibes of readiness to follow, and he couldn't help a slight grin, as four balls of black energy started forming in his hands - that was all he need. And before anyone could utter a single word, they were rendered wholly speechless, as the spheres floated one over each of the remaining four mutants. They could only watch - jaws dropped, as tentacle-like beams spread out of the globes and encircled them, engulfing them in orbs of now blinding light, with bluish jolts of electricity cackling in it.
Mesmero and Exodus could hardly hold back their own reactions - the former feeling a smirk spread across his wrinkled face, in an unmistakable expression of smugness, while the latter exhaled sharply, remembering his own similar experience, just three nights ago. Only this time, their comrades had a different run, as, when the force orbs finally dissipated, all four were suspended in opaque capsules, their forms barely visible at all. The Dark Lord surveyed them, with a slightly cruel smile stretching his features.
“They will need a bit of time to fully develop, the modifications could prove demanding on their organisms, after all.” he finished with a faint trace of humour in his voice, before he teleported the pods to the inner chamber, where the Eye of Ages lay. Turning then to the other two, he ordered curtly “They are not to be disturbed for the whole next two weeks, and I alone am to awaken them, when the process is completed.” Exodus and the other telepath could do nothing but bow in obedience.
However, before they were dismissed, Mesmero dared ask the single question, that didn't let his mind rest “My Lord, how are we to proceed in the meantime?” He instantly withdrew a bit at his Master's stern expression, but to his shock, Apocalypse replied, his gaze distant “There will be no War of Succession, as those who dare oppose us are getting stronger. What I attempted before was only the first of several steps, yet, with the present complications, I will have to move directly to the bigger level - the one, they know nothing about…”
He paused for a fleeting moment, before his stern voice broke the ensuing silence again “However, the precise moment for it is still not upon us, so we must be patient - bide our time, while they struggle with everything, their wretched lives hurl their way.” A predatory grin stretched leisurely over his features “They will have quite the problems, especially now that I feel a disturbance in the time flow… And when we are ready, we shall act - the Dark Riders shall take to the skies once more!”
“But there is still the possibility, that they may find us - after all, Phoenix is already awake, and she alone is powerful enough to discover our location, in the matter of mere minutes.” Du Paris added. The Dark One cursed under his breath, as he sensed the tiredness from before wash over him again “Leave this up to me, Exodus, do not burden your own mind - you are going to need it.” Yet, he narrowed his crimson eyes slightly at his subordinate, a vague suspicion starting to form in him, as to how did he know about Phoenix, but he decided to mull over it later, instead reaching up to his temple to let his fingers massage it once more…
Only to suddenly catch the stray, mental gasps of awe from his two followers, and withdraw his hand startled, looking at it sharply. For, it had felt like his fingers had melted into his skin at the touch, as if being absorbed slowly into his main form…And true to his perception, he now noticed that his whole arms actually looked as if gradually swept by a wave of dark, yet transparent fluid. In fact, it resembled more a shadowy, tar-coloured texture, and the eerie process was creeping up - spreading over his whole body.
He closed his eyes, a smirk of pleasure playing on his blue lips, as he ignored completely the stares from his dumbstruck followers, who had suddenly found themselves powerless to do anything more. He let himself relish fully in the sheer sensation it brought him. It was definitely good to be himself again, he thought, albeit not completely, but with the return of this particular ability, he felt more than compensated for that lack. He didn't even need to look, to know what was happening to him, nor did he want to - the experience was pure magic this way, and peeking would only spoil it.
However, when he realised, that it was over, his crimson eyes snapped open sharply, but he still allowed himself a full-fledged grin at seeing the result - an infinite shadow, the embodiment of Twilight itself…His prime power was his once more - together with all that came with it… “Snap out of it!” he snarled at Exodus and Mesmero, who gathered their wits immediately, before he himself reverted back to his normal cyborg form “It is not the time to gape at the return of my Darkness - we have much to do!” And indeed, he thought, as they followed him out, there was a lot he had to see to. But one objective in particular headed his list… Whoever you are - you, who dare forge a bond that you have no right to with the Goddess of the Universe, I swear I will find you… And you shall curse the day, when you allowed your unworthy self to even so much as think of her…
A/N2: Chapter 7 - coming sooner than 6 did, don't worry! What's happening on Genosha will be in it, and I'll give a first glimpse of Scott and Emma Frost. But I issue an official pre-warning - I'm not a fan of the White Queen at all, so expect some bashing to go her way, though I'll sincerely try not to overdo it ;-D!