X-men Evolution Fan Fiction ❯ Starting Today ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Rogue lucked out. She managed to walk Logan's bike into the garage, then used Kurt's power to teleport directly to her room. She didn't run into Logan until she was walking back from the bathroom, nicely fresh and showered, dressed in a robe and towel.

"Where the hell have you been kid, and on MY bike?"
"Out."
"Like that wasn't obvious. Gimme one reason why I shouldn't be having you clean the Danger Room with a tooth brush for the next week."
Logan, let her be. She was out with my permission.
Why the hell wasn't I told about it, Chuck?
It was a need to know basis, and you didn't need to know. Let the girl go to bed; everything will be explained tomorrow.
Fine, Chuck, but this better be good.
"Alright kid, the professor says you're off the hook this time, but I don't like it. You may have been able to fool everyone else around here lately, but I can tell there's been something going on."
"It'll be okay, trust me. Good night Logan, and..thanks."
"Yeah."
Rogue ducked into her room and closed the door quietly so as not to wake Kitty. Running into Logan was bad enough; she didn't want to spend the rest of the night dodging her roommate's questions about where she had been. As much as she loved Kitty, the girl was a hopeless romantic and had a well-deserved reputation as a gossip. Not that she would repeat information out of malice; she just felt that good news, especially if it happened to involve Rogue and a member of the opposite sex, should be shared with the world and the sooner the better. Not that I wouldn't love to spread the news about my love life, including the mere fact that I have a love life, but now just isn't a good time. Maybe later she'd bask in the fact that, she, the creepy Goth Rogue, had the sexiest man in Bayville in her arms. And mouth, and legs, and...Stop that! Bad girl! She'd never get any sleep if she kept those thoughts up. It's not like I'm going to get any sleep as it is anyway, who am I kidding?
Looking out the window she sighed softly to herself. Should she wish for the night to continue; delay morning and what came with it? Or just for morning to come quickly and be done with? I swear sometimes I'm a masochist, torturing myself like this.
You're also keeping your Professor awake as well Rogue. You tend to forget that you project when you're worried.
Sorry about that Professor. The mental shields slip sometimes.
Would you like me to calm your mind and help you sleep?
Normally I'd say no, but I can't stand the thought of staying up the rest of the night like this. Thank you Professor.
You're welcome Rogue. Sleep well and try not to worry.
Rogue slipped beneath the sheets and rested her head against the pillow. Keeping her thoughts on her love and happier moments, her breathing soon relaxed and she fell asleep.
O-o-o-o-O
There's a smoky little dive a few streets away from the club. Shady characters from all over the city come here to drink, play pool and poker, lose money and maybe get laid. Remy had frequented places like these for years for different purposes; play the cards and make some money, challenge someone at pool and make some money (he rarely lost, and usually only if he wanted to), gather info for whoever he was working for at the time. The combined smells of smoke, alcohol and seediness he usually just accepted; they were part of the atmosphere in places like these. But now he relished them, for they were part of his new purpose; to cover his tracks, erase any sensory memory of the club and most importantly, erase the scent that no doubt still clung to him, one part vanilla and ginger, one part untouchable southern skin.
He hated having to remove any trace of her from him; given his way, he'd lose himself in her scent the way he lost himself in her body during their infrequent stolen moments. But just as his chere lived with the infamous Wolverine, he shared living quarters with that homicidal bastard, Sabertooth. Animals both with their heightened senses. Gambit had built a reputation for playing with the ladies, but the less he smelled of an X-girl, the better. Funny how places like this that used to corrupt him; he now used to them to help redeem himself. Redemption. Now there was a lovely word. He didn't used to think it could be part of his vocabulary. Was it coincidence that redemption and Rogue both started with the letter R? He didn't think so. That such beautiful words, as well as his own name, should start with the same letter, and leave the same sweet taste as they rolled off his tongue, just seemed too much like fate to be denied. Always thought fate was a lady. Here's hoping Remy can charm that last lady, and charm her well, before he turns in his title as King of Hearts.
Anyone hearing that thought would have had a good long laugh. Remy LeBeau, giving up his skirt-chasing ways? Time was when he would have laughed at that idea as well. But, can't be king of what isn't yours anymore. Not when your heart is in a mansion across town, scrubbing traces of you from her skin to guard the knowledge of your presence from her barbaric housemate, the same way you now bury yourself in this pit to hide the knowledge of her presence from yours. Not to say he no longer had a heart. It just wasn't the one he originally started out with. No, the heart he now carried was far more precious than the factory issued version, and though he felt he might be sullying it by bringing it to places like these, it was necessary in the long run.
Six months. Has it really been that long, or that short? Would he have believed anyone that had told him that by stepping onto that battlefield he'd end up falling in love and planning a mutiny? Hardly. Such thoughts were beyond him so long ago. His thoughts were pretty basic in those days; the next card game he could win, the next pretty girl he could charm, the next jewel he could steal. In fact, he could clearly remember thinking about jewels that day...
6 months ago
Emeralds, to be exact.
The deepest, most perfect emeralds he had ever seen.
Not set in a necklace or ring, lying against velvet backing, but in a face.
Oh, but what a face..
Soft curves, long lashes; sweet, luscious lips that God must have had in mind when the word kiss was created, the entire confection framed by auburn and white hair that fell around her neck. All Gothic makeup and spandex, she could start a new fetish.
Standing still next to the pile of crates, caught in the act of removing one black glove, she seems as transfixed as he is. Mouth open slightly, gazing into his eyes. Oh femme, you're too much for words. Figures Xavier would have such an angel on his team. Are your lips as sweet as they look? What I could teach you to do with that mouth. The thought of tasting those lips sent a rush of pleasure through his groin, and he had to hope that none of his teammates caught him getting hard on the battlefield. Though with this enemy, could they really blame him? Figuring he'd better escape before embarrassing himself further, he pulled out his signature card, King of Hearts, and leaned in to distract his pretty adversary with a kiss while charging it; not enough to hurt her, she was far too belle to harm, but just enough to give her a fright and make his getaway.
He was close enough to catch a faint scent of vanilla and ginger when he slipped the charged card into her one gloved hand. Just a little closer now….
Wait.
One glove. Why did she only have one glove on?
Power thief. Xavier's untouchable student.
Merde.
Damn Remy, you almost got yourself into it there. That's what you get for trying to kiss random enemy girls on the battlefield. Saints above, but what an enemy. Might not be a bad way to end up in a coma. Mags would kill me though. What a shame, mouths like that were made for kissing senseless. A little regretfully, he left the card in her hand and slowly backed away. When her eyes left him to gaze down at the card he found himself able to move a little faster and was able to leave the scene before it blew up. He heard a curse and knew she was okay. Ah petite, Remy thinks he wants to see you again. Not supposed to fraternize with the enemy, but thieves aren't known for following the rules and Remy's the best. Au revoir for now, chere.