X-men Evolution Fan Fiction ❯ Starting Today ❯ Chapter 17

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

O-o-o-o-O
Chicks dig the Fuzzy One...
How'd a southern gal like you learn to handle a snowmobile...
I am Magneto and I have come to offer you sanctuary...
Rogue felt herself in the sea of her own mind, arms wrapped around herself, drifting aimlessly. It was quiet now; the Professor had taken off the worst of the psyches' presence, but she could still feel their echoes all around her. They were little more than whispers now but she resented the fact that they were still there. No, wait. That wasn't the right word. She was too tired for resentment. She was too tired for anything other than a painful resignation. That was it. She was resigned. Resigned to their presence, resigned to the knowledge she would never have her mind to herself again.
Is it just me, or is anyone else like, seriously freaked by all this?...
It bugs me to always be treated like the weaker sex...
I'm gonna rock your world...
It was so easy to float here and listen to the whispers. Almost soothing. She wished she could just stay here and float. It would be so much easier than waking up and facing the world, facing her friends and what she had done. The whispers told her; they showed her what they had done after she let go at the concert, what she had done. She saw herself in a rage, hurting her friends left and right. So much pain...
I've got two tickets to that Rivets concert tonight...
She possesses the potential for limitless power...
You can see the future Irene...
Oh god, can't think about that. Irene, how could you lie to me like that, how could you hurt me? I was always your little Rogue. Was it a lie? Did you ever love me? And Risty... Rogue choked back a sob and wrapped her arms around her knees, burying her face as she continued to float. No. You won't make me cry again Mystique. I don't care if you are my mother, you're not going to make me cry, you're not...oh damnit... Rogue's mental voice broke off as her eyes melted in tears. She curled up into herself tighter and tilted sideways, giving herself a little spin as she drifted through the emptiness of her mind. Is it too much to ask to have someone I can trust? Other than being able to touch, I don't ask for much. It's such a little thing.
Quand il me prend dans ses bras...
I'll be here for you Rogue...
You can't do that to me again Chere...
That last whisper, that wasn't in her mind, it wasn't one of her memories. It was outside of her. She hadn't heard anything going on around her before now; she had been quite cut off from the world in fact. Why was she hearing this?
I know you can't hear me but je t'aime Chere. Je t'aime...
Remy. Somehow, Remy was here and she could hear him. You love me? I dared not even hope...I love you too Swamp Rat. The person I can trust, my one little thing. It's not so little though, it's everything. Maybe waking up wouldn't be such a bad thing, if you were there. I'm so tired though, maybe in a little while...
Hugging Remy's last words to herself, Rogue's mental self drifted off to sleep.
O-o-o-o-O
Three days.
Three days so far, and not even a twitch, not a single sign that she was waking up any time soon. After the first day when he had lain in his room, Kurt has taken up his post by Rogue's bed and not left her since. Not even school has been enough to make him leave his sister. He had to be there when she woke up; her first sight upon waking should be family, someone who loved her.
The past couple of days had been hell, seeing her lay there like that. Rogue was normally so strong, so full of life; it hurt to see her looking so empty and defenseless. Clean of makeup, her face looked young and sweet. This could hardly be the same person who just last week had threatened him with a bottle of Nair for stealing her bagel at breakfast. He smiled a little at the memory.
Nein, schwester, you would have needed two bottles.” He whispered. A half- fuzzy elf was no laughing matter though, and he made a mental note to himself to hide the Nair before she woke up. “Ah, but I think I would gladly be half-fuzzy, or not fuzzy at all, if you would just wake up.” He sighed, looking down at the sheets where their entwined hands lay. He wasn't used to wearing gloves, but he did it gladly to hold her hand. “I'll even help you with it, if you want.”
“That's good fuzzy, because I think it would take three bottles.”
Kurt looked up fast. Was he hearing things? No. The voice was just a whisper, but her eyes were half open and there was a touch of a smile upon her lips. Rogue was awake.
Liebes...” He smiled and squeezed her hand gently, trying to ignore the tears pricking his eyes. “You're awake. Let me get Dr. McCoy...”
Rogue shook her head a little. “No, not just yet. How long have I been asleep?”
“Um, three days.”
“And you've been here the entire time?”
“Well, most of it.”
“That's funny; I could have sworn I heard...”
“What?”
“Oh, nothing. Was anyone hurt?” She asked fearfully.
“No. Everyone is fine, Rogue. I wish I could say the same for that street though.” He winked at her to show he was joking.
She cringed. “Oh man, I can't believe I did that. It just hurt so badly though, I couldn't hold on anymore.”
Kurt sighed sadly. “Rogue, I know you're angry with our mother...”
“Please Kurt, don't. I don't know if I'm ready to talk about this yet. I don't know if I can accept the fact that she's...God, I can't even say it.”
“I know, and we don't have to talk about it yet if you don't want to. I just have to tell you that I can't be completely sorry. I'm sorry she hurt you and I'd give anything if that hadn't happened, but she's given me something wonderful; a sister. And the fact that it's you just makes things even better. I know you can't accept a mother right now, but would it be okay to have a brother?”
Rogue smiled a little, and looked like she wanted to cry. “I haven't had time to really let all this sink in, but yes, I think a brother would be a nice thing to have. I've never had one before.”
“So it's okay if he's blue and fuzzy?”
“It's just fine. It suits you. Could have been worse you know, you could have ended up pink and fuzzy.”
Kurt shuddered. “Please Rogue, you're going to give me nightmares.”
She bit her lip, fighting back a grin. “Was it just me, or did you feel like you had ended up in “Star Wars” when you found out, well, you know...”
“Luke, I am your father.” Kurt said with his best Darth Vader impression.
“That was horrid, Kurt. Don't give up your day job. All she needed to do was sprout a light saber and we would have been all set.” She sighed and bit her lip again, not smiling anymore.
“We'll be okay Rogue, you and me. We don't need her around to be family. We can be one of our own, just the two of us.”
“Thanks Kurt, I'd like that.” She heard her stomach grumble and sighed. “Do you think you could get me something to eat? I'm starved.”
Kurt smiled. “Sure schwester. I'll get Dr. McCoy too. He should know that you're up.”
“Okay, thanks.” Rogue grinned mischievously. “Don't forget the Nair while you're at it.”
Kurt winced. “I was kind of hoping you wouldn't hear that.”
O-o-o-o-O
Three days.
Three days and nothing; nothing to show that Rogue was going to wake up soon. Remy wanted to hit something. He had gone back the next night after his first visit but found the elf sitting asleep in his place. He wasn't jealous though. He remembered from Magneto's files that the blue one was Mystique's son, so that made him and Rogue a sort of family. He barely made it out of there without getting caught by Wolverine.
At least Chere has someone looking after her though. Just wish it were Remy instead of the Fuzzy One.
He understood Nightcrawler's need to be there though. Family was important to Remy, even if he was estranged from his own. It had been years since he had set foot in New Orleans, and he still missed it. He knew he was doing what he had to, what was necessary for everyone, but it still hurt sometimes. Remy usually buried the pain in cards and women, but he hadn't done that in months so there wasn't anything to take his mind off his past. Nothing except Rogue, that is. But she was asleep, and now had family problems of her own. It was hard to believe that someone like Mystique had raised a wonderful girl like his chere. He supposed it could have been more Destiny's influence. He had never met the blind mutant though and only knew of her from Brotherhood gossip and Magneto's files on Mystique.
If you asked him, Nightcrawler got off easy getting thrown off of a bridge. He couldn't imagine having that chienne as a mother. At least Rogue was safely away from her influence. She hadn't been with the Brotherhood long enough to really get turned to her mother's thinking.
CONK
Fils d'une chienne! “ (son of a bitch!)
You'd think he would learn after last time not to let his mind wander while training with Piotr, but noooooo.
“I think you dented my knuckles.”
“Good thing I have such a hard head, non?”
“Good for you, maybe, but what about me? I've got the dented knuckles.”
“Yeah, and I've got the dented head. So we even, eh?”
“What is going on, Gambit? I've never seen you so distracted.”
“Nothing serious Piotr. Just been missing...home a little more than usual lately.”
Da, I understand.”
You certainly can understand, can't you mon ami? At least I know my family is safe. Remy did not envy Piotr his position at all. While he and Pyro were with Magneto on contract, and Sabertooth just for the fun of it, Piotr was being blackmailed. The quiet Russian's only family, his little sister, was deathly ill, and only Magneto's payment of her hospital bills kept her alive. Ah, mon ami. The things we do for our families. You sold your soul for your petite, and I was driven from my home. He wondered briefly if maybe he could include him in his plans. If there was anyone who didn't belong working for Magneto, it was Piotr. He'd have to think about it.
Behind them, the two men heard the sound of footsteps, and Magneto's voice rang out across the courtyard.
“Gambit, Colossus. Stop training for now. You're going to the airport. We have a guest arriving that I need you to collect. Get ready, and I will give you the flight info before you leave.” And with that, the Master of Magnetism left as abruptly as he had arrived.
“Duty calls, mon ami.”
Remy went to his room and changed from his uniform into something a little more casual for going out in public. On errands like these, Mags didn't want his Acolytes drawing any more attention than necessary. He had just finished changing when he heard a light tapping at his window. Remy turned to see the strange sight of an envelope floating just outside the glass, seemingly of it's own free will. What the hell?
He went quickly to the window and opened it, then hesitated a moment before snatching the envelope out of the air. He looked around outside but could see no one, and his empathic sense didn't pick anyone up either. With a last wary look around he closed the window and sat down on his bed to examine the envelope. It was a plain ordinary envelope, with his just his name on the outside in an unfamiliar script. Opening it, he found a single piece of paper. There were only two words written on it, but they were enough to lift the cloud that had been over his heart and bring a smile to his face for the first time in three days.
She's awake
O-o-o-o-O
Jean stood on the outskirts of Magneto's base, hidden in the tree line just far enough that Sabertooth wouldn't be able to sense her. She probably risked her life doing this, but she couldn't help herself. She had sensed Rogue's pain when her powers went out of control and felt sorry for the girl. She had also been awake when Gambit visited the institute the next night and had sensed the feelings he had for her teammate. She knew enough now that she understood the Acolyte wouldn't hurt Rogue, and she needed people around her that loved her, even if it included a supposed enemy.
Was she doing this just for Rogue, though? Partly yes, but another part of her reveled in knowing the things that were going on and enjoyed being able to play a part without anyone else knowing. At one time she would have felt that this type of voyeurism and playing with people's lives was wrong, but she had changed so much since she started having her dreams that it didn't matter anymore. She had the power to do these things for her friend, so why not use it? Xavier would never understand. She loved him like a father, but he was too caught up in his moral codes to comprehend the good she could do with her growing powers. And growing they certainly were. She supposed she could consider herself one of the foremost telepaths in the world now; and there didn't seem to be an end yet. One of these days she would show him though, and he would understand that she was beyond all his rules and codes. And he would be so proud of her.
But not yet. It was too early. She would wait and grow; eventually her time would come
O-o-o-o-O.
Remy waited with Piotr at the airport, a heavy unease growing in his mind. The name that Magneto had given them was familiar to him, but it was a common name and there was always the possibility that it wasn't the same man. But if it was... Remy shuddered to think what Magneto could possibly be planning that involved such a man.
He was taken from his thoughts by a thin looking middle-aged man approaching them. The shade from the hat he wore partially hid the sharp lines of his face, but the eyes were the same. Bright and cruel like a hawk's, they glanced at Piotr briefly before settling on Remy. A hint of a smile twisted the corner of his mouth.
“Gentlemen, you have been sent by Mr. Lensherr I presume? I am Dr. Essex. Dr. Nathaniel Essex.”
O-o-o-o-O