X-men Evolution Fan Fiction ❯ Starting Today ❯ Chapter 18

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

O-o-o-o-O
Rogue was so tired, and was starting to doubt the wisdom of having woken up. After Dr. McCoy had checked her out and found her healthy but needing some more bed rest, her room in the med lab had been a steady stream of visitors. The Professor had apparently explained to everyone what had happened and what her and Mystique's relationship was so all she had been hearing throughout the day were apologies for attacking her and attempts to not talk about the shape-shifter. Scott in particular had been so remorseful over his actions that she felt herself almost feeling sorry for him.
Kurt almost never left her side, except to bring some of Kitty's experiments from the kitchen. The girl meant well, but whoever told her that she had any business getting involved in food preparation had to have been on serious mind-altering drugs at the time. Peanut butter, jelly and curry sandwiches? Rogue shuddered as she looked at her plate. My kingdom for Chinese takeout
Professor Xavier had only visited her once so far, and had not stayed long; just enough to express his pleasure at her improved health. She got the feeling that he wanted to talk to her about something, but was being polite enough to wait until everyone else had gotten a chance to see her. She had an idea of what it was too. Her mental shields had been weaker during her little “incident”, and Rogue was sure that the Professor had caught her recognition of Remy in the background and some of the thoughts associated with him. She wasn't sure what she would say to him yet if he brought it up; she felt bad having kept this from him and the others and it was kind of a relief to have someone know. The secrecy of her and Remy's relationship was driving her crazy. Would the Professor understand what was going on between them, or would he condemn her for getting involved with the enemy? She had almost no doubt as to what the reaction of the others would be. With the possible exception of Kitty, who had dated Lance for a time, they would never understand.
Why did things have to get so complicated? She had a shape-shifting terrorist for a mother, a blue, furry teleporter for a brother, and she was in love with the enemy. Did she really want simple though? Simple meant no Kurt, simple meant no Remy. As much as she despised the thought of having Mystique for a mother, she couldn't be anything but happy at having someone as sweet as Kurt for a brother. And Remy... The hell with simple, she'd take complicated any day if it meant being able to have Remy in her life. He'd come to mean too much to her for her to give him up. And now that she knew he felt the same way...
Did I really hear him say that though? Did he really tell me that he loved me? She couldn't be 100 sure, her mind had tricked her before, but this didn't feel like a memory, it felt too real. Some of the remaining whispers in her mind mocked her, told her she was imagining things; that a player like him would never bother with someone he couldn't touch; but she did her best to ignore them and clung to the feeling in her heart that what she had heard WAS real. Remy had shown her time and again that he wasn't afraid of her powers; that he didn't care about them at all. Out of all her friends, all the people who loved her, could any of them truly say that?
I miss you Swamp Rat. Wish I could see you soon. It's not like he could come to visit her though. She could picture him showing up at the front door of the mansion, a bouquet of flowers in his hand, and laughed to herself. It would be a riot to see the looks on everyone else's faces. Rogue sighed and came back to reality. As nice as it would be and as much as she wanted to see him, she didn't want him to put himself in danger just to see her. She would just have to bide her time until she was clear to leave the med lab.
She was just settling in to go back to sleep when the door to her room opened and Professor Xavier wheeled himself in. Here we go
He smiled at her kindly. “How are we doing this afternoon, Rogue?”
“I've been better, Professor.”
“Has everyone been to visit you yet?”
“I think everyone's been in...well, no, now that I think about it I haven't seen Logan. Where is he?”
“Logan left yesterday to find to Mystique. She has a lot to answer for and we're hoping she can fill in some of the missing information regarding yours and Kurt's childhoods.”
Rogue bit her lip and tried to bury the pain and anger that rose up at the mention of the shape-shifter's name. “I don't know if I could stand to see her, Professor. Just the thought of her hurts. She had no right...”
Xavier sighed. “I know Rogue. Deceiving you as Risty was incredibly cruel and it's going to take time to come to terms with your pain. Just remember that you don't have to go through this alone; you have family here for you, in every sense of the word.”
She smiled a bit at the thought of Kurt. “I know Professor. Who would have thought I'd end up with a brother? I don't know what kind of sister I can be though.”
“You have a generous and loving heart Rogue, no matter how you try to hide it. I don't think you could be anything other than the best of sisters to Kurt. He loves you very much and wants to be there for you. Don't be afraid to lean on him; he is just the right person to support you through this.”
“Thank you Professor, I'll try.”
“Good. Now there was something else I wanted to talk to you about as well. You know that I try not to read other people's thoughts without their permission, but when I was trying to reach your mind during your power overload I couldn't help but see memories of yours regarding a certain Acolyte, and hear you call to him...”
Rogue paled a little. “I know Professor. I'm sorry that I had to deceive you and everyone else; I know he works for Magneto and has made some mistakes but he's not a bad person. He's been good to me and I...I love him. I didn't think anyone would understand. Please don't tell anyone. You aren't going to make me stop seeing him, are you?”
“I'm sorry that you felt you had to deceive us Rogue. I don't intend to prevent your seeing him, but I do wish you'd reconsider your wish to keep your relationship with Gambit private. He came to visit you the night after it happened and if nothing else I am convinced of his affection for you.”
“So it was real.” Rogue whispered to herself.
“What was real, Rogue?”
“While I was unconscious, I could have sworn I heard Remy talking to me. I wasn't sure if it was real or the voices playing tricks on me. They've done things like that before.”
“No, Gambit was here. I spoke to him myself. You may or may not be right about people understanding, but do not let the fears of others keep you from pursuing what you need in life.”
“Thank you Professor. I'll keep that in mind, but for now I think I would prefer that the others not know. I'm not ready for that yet.”
“Alright Rogue, I will honor your wishes. Perhaps you can help him see that he doesn't have to stay with Magneto, that he can change his life for the better.”
Rogue smiled. “I certainly hope so.” She then yawned and settled back into the pillows. “I think I'm going to sleep awhile now. I'm feeling tired.”
“Okay Rogue, rest well.” Xavier patted her once again gloved hand and left the room.
O-o-o-o-O
The ride from the airport was silent. Piotr was normally shy around strangers and Remy could think of nothing to say to their guest. Essex just sat in the back of the car and looked out the window, taking in his new surroundings. Remy's mind was racing as he drove them back to the base though. He had been right; this Dr. Essex was the same man he remembered. What the hell was Magneto thinking? Whatever it was, he wasn't sure he wanted to know.
It had been three years ago, he had just been kicked out of New Orleans and was taking on freelance work to stay alive. Essex had introduced himself through a mutual acquaintance and expressing an interest in helping mutants control their powers, had requested permission to study him. Remy would be well compensated, he was told. As eager as he was to make money, something about the scientist rubbed him wrong. He was a telepath, and even though Remy's mental shields repelled telepathy, spooks still gave him the creeps. The way Essex's cold, sharp eyes looked him over like a lab rat didn't help either. The doctor reminded Remy of those little boys who would pull the wings off flies and torture small animals for fun. Remy said thanks but no thanks and got as far away from Nathaniel Essex as he could. He just had a feeling that whatever the man wanted with him, Remy was better off not getting involved in.
Essex had not said anything so far, but Remy could tell by the way he looked at him that the doctor had not forgotten him. He was all too happy to reach the base and deliver the new arrival into the hands of his employer.
Mags smiled coldly at his guest. “Dr. Essex, it is a pleasure to meet you at last. I look forward to our working together. Come with me. Colossus, take the doctor's bags to his room. Gambit, you're dismissed.” And with that he closeted himself in his office with Essex.
Remy exchanged a look with Piotr. The tall Russian looked as unsure about the situation as he did, but merely shrugged and walked off to the guest bedroom with Essex's bags. Remy was only too happy to be dismissed. Nightfall would be coming soon, and he had a visit to make. His Rogue was awake, and he needed to see her again, Wolverine be damned.
Essex's presence changed everything though. He could no longer consider including Piotr in his plans to defect to the X-men. Remy knew he himself was safe from the doctor's telepathy, but Piotr had no way to guard his thoughts. Whatever was going on, Remy would either have to discover it on his own or get help from elsewhere.
It was late when Remy broke into the Institute and made his way down into the med lab. Peeking into Rogue's room, he could see that he was in luck; no sign of Nightcrawler or Xavier's pitbull, Wolverine. He closed the door behind him and sat quietly in the chair next to the bed, taking in the sight of his Rogue's beautiful face. Though asleep, she looked much more alive than the last time he had seen her. He smiled softly and, taking a rose from where he had stowed it in one of his many coat pockets, he traced the curve of her face slowly with the petals, wishing it could be his mouth in place of the flower. Rogue stirred at the soft, tickling sensation and cracked her eyes open a bit to see what was touching her. Upon seeing Remy, her face broke into a smile and she opened her eyes the rest of the way.
“Remy, what are you doing here?”
“How could I stay away? I had to see that you were okay, Chere. You worried me. Besides, the two of us alone and you in a hospital bed? The perfect opportunity to play doctor, non?” Remy's serious look changed into a playful smirk.
“You came to visit me before, didn't you? I heard you talking to me. I wasn't sure if it was real or not, until the Professor confirmed it for me.”
“So you heard me, eh? Just how much did you hear?”
Rogue smiled and clasped the gloved hand that was resting near her own. “Je t'aime aussi, Swamp Rat.” She whispered.
Remy's heart tightened and he didn't know what to say. Rogue had heard him express his feelings for her, and of all things, she loved him back. He sighed and stroked a hand down her cheek. “What did I do to deserve you, mon couer?” He whispered back to her.
She smirked back at him. “Well, if I remember correctly, you tried to blow me up.”
“Do you always fall in love with men that try to blow you up? If so, I think we'll have to stop this business of your going into battles.”
She smiled and bit her lip. “No, just red and black-eyed Cajuns who think they're God's gift to women. And I really doubt you could keep me out of any battles.”
“Who says I'm not? But you're right; I don't think I'd want to keep you out of battle. You're beautiful when you fight, Chere.”
“Why, I'd almost think you like getting your butt kicked, Cajun.”
“Only by you, though. Only by you.” Remy kissed the top of her hair.
“Heh heh. Masochist.”
“I don't think you're quite well enough to be getting kinky yet petite, do you?” He smirked at her suggestively, a gleam in his eye.
“Not well...just you wait til I get out of here, Remy LeBeau. I'll show you who's not well...”
“What will you show me, Chere? I know there's plenty I want to show you.” He whispered something softly in her ear and she smacked him away from her, cheeks turning red.
“Pervert.”
“But of course. And you love me anyway.”
“Why, I don't know.”
Remy pouted, then smiled at her again, his eyes glowing. “When you get out of here I would be more than happy to show you.”
“Hmmm...sounds intriguing.”
“You have no idea.” He sighed and gazed at Rogue's face, tracing the flower across her skin. “I felt like I was going to go crazy, seeing you here like that. Seeing you hurting and no way to reach you. You scared me, Rogue. Don't leave me like that again.”
Rogue tightened her hold on his hand. “I won't leave you again Remy, not if I can help it.”
Remy brought her hand up to his mouth and kissed it. “You look tired, mon amour. Sleep now.” Rogue sighed happily and laid back against the pillow, closing her eyes. “Love you Swamp Rat”, she murmured.
“Remy love you too, Chere.” And with one last glance at his love's now sleeping face, he slipped out of the mansion.